The Federal Prop. 8 Trial / Gay Marriage Catch-All

Mormonism doesn't have a Hell, it has an Outer Darkness, and you need to do something worse than become inactive to get there. Something like being gay does the trick, though.

SpacePPoliceman wrote:

Mormonism doesn't have a Hell, it has an Outer Darkness, and you need to do something worse than become inactive to get there. Something like being gay does the trick, though.

It's super-effective!

Jonman wrote:
SpacePPoliceman wrote:

Mormonism doesn't have a Hell, it has an Outer Darkness, and you need to do something worse than become inactive to get there. Something like being gay does the trick, though.

It's super-effective! Thanks for asking!

SpacePPoliceman wrote:

Mormonism doesn't have a Hell, it has an Outer Darkness, and you need to do something worse than become inactive to get there. Something like being gay does the trick, though.

First part is true there is no hell per se, in Mormonism, but being gay would not qualify you for Outer Darkness. That takes rebelling against a "sure knowledge" of God, like Cain, and maybe Judas. Very few people in the history of mankind would ever be in danger of Outer Darkness.

I was told by a Bishop that homosexuality was rebelling against the sure knowledge of God, however that is an issue with the democratized Bishopric. I was also told once that after the Rapture, Earth would get sucked down a fiery wormhole back to Kolob, and I ain't never read no Pearl of Great Price, but I'm pretty sure that isn't actually in there.

The first part about homosexuality is flat out doctrinely wrong! Considered a grave sin yes, rebelling against the sure knowledge of God and qualifying you for outer darkness? Big fat NOPE!

The part about Kolab is idle speculation, sounds cool and all, but tentatively connected to doctrine at best. We really don't know much about what will happen after the rapture, and what has been canonically said is pretty vague, and symbolic.

While opponents of gay marriage, the LDS church says that's no reason to not do your job.

“Office holders remain free to draw upon their personal beliefs and motivations and advocate their positions in the public square,” Elder Oaks said. “But when acting as public officials, they are not free to apply personal convictions — religious or other — in place of the defined responsibilities of their public offices. All government officers should exercise their civil authority according to the principles and within the limits of civil government.”

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mor...

That's unsurprising to me. Mormons have actually been the victims of some rather egregious mixes of church and state in their short history, and I don't think there's another religion in the States as vocally and openly supportive of separation of church and state.

NSMike wrote:

That's unsurprising to me. Mormons have actually been the victims of some rather egregious mixes of church and state in their short history, and I don't think there's another religion in the States as vocally and openly supportive of separation of church and state.

I have talked with numerous Mormons who have done their two year mission trip and EVERY one of them says that the most hostile treatment they have ever received has been at the hands of fervent Christian believers.

Paleocon wrote:
NSMike wrote:

That's unsurprising to me. Mormons have actually been the victims of some rather egregious mixes of church and state in their short history, and I don't think there's another religion in the States as vocally and openly supportive of separation of church and state.

I have talked with numerous Mormons who have done their two year mission trip and EVERY one of them says that the most hostile treatment they have ever received has been at the hands of fervent Christian believers.

From what I've read, it's because those fervent Christian believers are the most likely to be converted to Mormonism--and the leaders of those fervent Christian congregations know it.

Kentucky governor issues executive order to remove clerk's name from marriage license. Should stop a clerk in the future from grinding the process to a halt.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ken...

Trophy Husband wrote:

Kentucky governor issues executive order to remove clerk's name from marriage license. Should stop a clerk in the future from grinding the process to a halt.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ken...

Suspect I know what next year's campaign commercials will focus on when they're not fellating the coal industry.

Demosthenes wrote:
Trophy Husband wrote:

Kentucky governor issues executive order to remove clerk's name from marriage license. Should stop a clerk in the future from grinding the process to a halt.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ken...

Suspect I know what next year's campaign commercials will focus on when they're not fellating the coal industry.

Free access to tooth whitening treatments?

Jonman wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:
Trophy Husband wrote:

Kentucky governor issues executive order to remove clerk's name from marriage license. Should stop a clerk in the future from grinding the process to a halt.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ken...

Suspect I know what next year's campaign commercials will focus on when they're not fellating the coal industry.

Free access to tooth whitening treatments?

Actually, repealing Obamacare and such was part of this year's campaigns, though not nearly the levvel as previous years, seeing as how Kentuckians are apparently realizing that most of them wouldn't be able to go to the doctor without it.

IMAGE(http://www.imgur.com/XN1ch6e.jpg)

Alabama Chief Justice Effectively Bans Same-Sex Marriage In The State

He literally cites Kim Davis.

The chief justice of Alabama’s Supreme Court issued an administrative order on Wednesday barring state judges from issuing same-sex marriage licenses, in contravention of the broadly accepted meaning of a June 2015 U.S. Supreme Court ruling.
Chief Justice Roy Moore forbade probate judges in the state from issuing marriage licenses that violate the state’s laws prohibiting same-sex marriage, “until further decision by the Alabama Supreme Court.”
Moore argued that the U.S. Supreme Court had only explicitly struck down same-sex marriage bans in Michigan, Kentucky, Ohio and Tennessee in its landmark decision Obergefell v. Hodges, though the ruling may be interpreted to apply to other states’ bans based on precedent.

WTF?!

What's worse is that this douchebag was removed in 2003 and then re-elected in 2012.

You can't fix stupid.

While this sucks for any gay Alabamans with wedding plans, for the rest of the country, this is just a "whatevs" moment. We know that this is going to get laughed out of the higher courts.

It is just the flailing of an old white man with more power than he deserves.

Jonman wrote:

While this sucks for any gay Alabamans with wedding plans, for the rest of the country, this is just a "whatevs" moment. We know that this is going to get laughed out of the higher courts.

It is just the flailing of an old white man with more power than he deserves.

I wonder if couples whose plans are disrupted have the option for economic recourse/reimbursement for their losses.