Geek Confessions & Blasphemies

shoptroll wrote:
Keithustus wrote:
I was going to give up after one season...but then I reached the season one finale and was hooked. What? Real writing?

Season 1 was terrible. Every recommendation I've read says to skip it. The only thing that's relevant to Season Two is the finale.

That would have been nice to know beforehand. So why then, since Buffy S1 is so bad, did Firefly not get a season two!? So unfair!

Keithustus wrote:
shoptroll wrote:
Keithustus wrote:
I was going to give up after one season...but then I reached the season one finale and was hooked. What? Real writing?

Season 1 was terrible. Every recommendation I've read says to skip it. The only thing that's relevant to Season Two is the finale.

That would have been nice to know beforehand. So why then, since Buffy S1 is so bad, did Firefly not get a season two!? So unfair!

Buffy S1 was relatively cheap to produce. Firefly was pretty expensive, and had worse viewership numbers.

I saw one episode of Big Bang Theory and really hated it

I don't like sitcoms in general, and I especially don't like sitcoms that feel the need to tell me when to laugh along with a studio audience. I found it abysmally unfunny compared to things like Modern Family.

Also, it seemed weirdly sexist. In the episode I saw, the Asperger syndrome guy was treating the female lead like a dog? What??

I don't like Star Wars

I liked it when I was a kid, but I totally grew out of it.

I don't like fantasy*

I liked it when I was a kid, but I totally grew out of it.

* except for Game of Thrones - damn you, GRRM

I don't really get the love for Joss Whedon

I don't mind Joss. I think he's fine, and has done things I liked (like Firefly) along with things I disliked (like Buffy). I just really don't think he has done anything that warrants the level of fanboyism that surrounds him, and I find his cult following confusing.

I am really bored of superhero movies

So many reboots. So incredibly formulaic. Probably my favorite such movie in recent memory was Watchmen due to the superheros-are-maybe-all-psychopaths undercurrent.

I think the film adaptation of LotR was way better than the novels

Well, I've already said I don't like fantasy, but I'll troll the Tolkien lovers by saying that I think Jackson's film version is far superior.

Tanglebones wrote:
Firefly was pretty expensive, and had worse viewership numbers.

So how did Dollhouse get two seasons? :p

shoptroll wrote:
Tanglebones wrote:
Firefly was pretty expensive, and had worse viewership numbers.

So how did Dollhouse get two seasons? :p

... that's the $64,000 question

Enterprise was as good as any of the Star Treks that came before it (save maybe DS9). I still think that the theme song was the thing that kept it from becoming the next big thing.

I'm sorry but no. What kept it from being the next big thing in my mind is the prequel post-prodution paradox. This is when you have a beloved series that is fully explored so they try to reach back into the lore to get more out of the universe. However, by that time the production values of the medium (TV, Movie, etc...) has progressed along with modern tech. This is much more of any issue with Science-Fiction than any other genre.

Star Trek TOS vs Enterprise is a perfect example of this. They are using devices for communciation that are 3 to 4 times the size of our current cell phones and consoles that look like there were taken out of a 1930s telephone switchboard. Then, in Enterprise you are expected to believe that this is occuring in 2151 which is more than 100 years prior to TOS which began in 2265. But the technology in Enterprise looks so much more modern than what is in TOS. This backwards movement in tech is odd, but how could you honestly make Enterprise with 1960's quality of production or earlier to make it match up more with the logical progression of technology in the Universe. It's just something that I don't think can be addressed short of a reboot.

Honestly the Abrams reboot is the best thing to happen to Star Trek in years; because if you follow the lore after the Dominion Wars and throughout the storyline of the Star Trek Online game the Federation of Planets doesn't have many rivals anymore. But with the reboot, you can still have the joy if finding new places even if the names and faces seem the same.

I've never watched through the entirety of Pulp Fiction. Fell asleep both times I tried to.

I really enjoyed Sucker Punch.

Tanglebones wrote:
shoptroll wrote:
Tanglebones wrote:
Firefly was pretty expensive, and had worse viewership numbers.

So how did Dollhouse get two seasons? :p

... that's the $64,000 question

And here's an answer:

Firefly debuted around the time the World Series was airing, so it kept getting bumped for games. It also was constantly being switched from mid-afternoons to after Showtime At The Apollo on Saturdays...precisely the time when people are either out doing stuff or are in bed for the night. Couple that with the fact that they showed the shows out of order, and never aired the pilot which set up the whole universe and Mal's motivations for being a smuggler and you have a recipe for poor viewership that has no connection the the characters or the world they inherit.

The movie only got made because the DVD box set sold so well, and enough of a fanbase got built to write enough letters/make enough noise that Universal saw some worth in making one.

Dollhouse had a relatively stable airtime (they never changed days, and only shifted 1 hour on Fridays for a few episodes) so it was easier for viewers to find it and stick with it. It also came after the relative success of the Firefly DVD sales and Serenity movie.

Ok, here it is.

Buffy Season 1 episode The Pack is the best of the series
That sold me on the series right there. I loved it. A good guy turned bad ends up eating a pig while his new now more evil friends eat the principal. AND! It opens some of the best jokes for the series later on. It was just so much fun.

trueheart78 wrote:
I really enjoyed Sucker Punch.

Like [X]

I don't like Heinlein's Stranger In a Strange Land - love the premise but then it just gets all 70s on ya hehe

I am really bored of superhero movies

You should read some superhero BOOKS. Not comics but books. Some fun stuff out there.

trueheart78 wrote:
I've never watched through the entirety of Pulp Fiction. Fell asleep both times I tried to.

What in the Green F*ck is wrong with you?!

See, this is why I can´t post in this thread. I´ll just go completely bonkers, and viceversa, making you all react the same way to things I´d say.

But seriously, the f*ck´s wrong with you?

karmajay wrote:
I don't like Heinlein's Stranger In a Strange Land - love the premise but then it just gets all 70s on ya hehe

Yeah, honestly I prefer Heinlein's early work over his later. He especially goes off the deep end with anything Lazarus Long related.

gore wrote:
Probably my favorite such (superhero) movie in recent memory was Watchmen due to the superheros-are-maybe-all-psychopaths undercurrent.

I've never watched through the entirety of Watchmen. Fell asleep both times I tried to.

Of course, There hasn't been a superhero movie I've liked since Batman Returns with Michael Keaton and Danny DeVito. Sure, some of them since have good actors or parts occasionally, like Ian McKellan's Magneto or Heath Ledger's Joker, but all the superhero movies since BR have been pretty bubble gum.

....except Sin City. That one was good.

bnpederson wrote:
karmajay wrote:
I don't like Heinlein's Stranger In a Strange Land - love the premise but then it just gets all 70s on ya hehe

Yeah, honestly I prefer Heinlein's early work over his later. He especially goes off the deep end with anything Lazarus Long related.

I loved almost all of Heinlein's young adult fiction. However, Time Enough for Love, Friday, and the rest of that stuff? I'm all for self exploration and pushing boundaries, but Heinlein seemed waaaaay too preoccupied with, how do I say this? Getting his freak on? In the end it all seemed less about personal liberation than it did simple shock value for attention's sake.

I guess I'm more of a David Brin and Greg Bear fan anyway.

trueheart78 wrote:
I've never watched through the entirety of Pulp Fiction. Fell asleep both times I tried to.

*High Five*

So overrated!

Deep Space Nine is my favorite Star Trek series (though I may call TNG the best, which is different)

Wil Wheaton gets on my nerves.

I'm utterly baffled as to why anyone likes Doctor Who.

beanman101283 wrote:
Wil Wheaton gets on my nerves.

Totally agree on this one, and I'd place him above Whedon on my "I wonder why these people have a cult following?" list. He barely even qualifies as B-list actor these days - I guess I'd just consider him a professional nerd culture celebrity, which is an incredibly odd thing to be.

Which reminds me...

I do not like Felicia Day

See above.

Just read this entire thread in one sitting...no filthy skimmers here!

LarryC wrote:
I think manga is an excellent example of the comic book medium, and it saddens me that many Western comic artists either avoid it altogether, or take the wrong kind of lessons from it. It's not the Disney eyes nor the sometimes graphic violence that makes great manga great.

I feel your sadness

IMAGE(http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss332/Mimble75/sad-manga-1.png)

I do like manga though, and for me I either like the story (Death Note) or love the art work (Vampire Knight - the story line got so convoluted for me, I stopped reading).

As for confessions...

MrAndrewJ wrote:

We're all dancing around a lie.
Several multi-national multibillion dollar media conglomerates can make a profit catering to an alleged subculture during their prime time slots. It's no longer a subculture.

Most of it no longer resembles what it's pretending to be. It starts to look every bit as stupid as ten million kids showing naval piercings through flannel shirts, adoring a radio station that plays only ten songs in constant rotation, and calling that swill an 'alternative' to some other swill. I almost wouldn't care except that it's time to remove "geek" and "nerd" from entirely from the conversation.

This. I don't really identify with "geek" and "nerd" labels, though, I've had them pasted on me pretty liberally as a person who plays D&D, likes video games, reads fantasy etc. I just like what I like, end of story. So when I see stuff like BBT "soft kitty" shirts, or bowling bags with Sheldon Cooper's face plastered on them, I always wonder if they are aiming for people who want to identify with the "nerd" and "geek" labels because it's another way to belong to something (plus the bonus points for wearing pop culture references that many people will instantly "get", which further confirms your ability to belong and fit in).

It's not for me, anyway. Plus, I'm not sure I want soft kitty OR Sheldon Cooper's face all over my chest - it seems weird. I prefer to let my boobs speak for themselves.

My own confession, I had a quiet but super hard-core crush on Wil Wheaton. I mean, he liked the same books as me (unless Tiger Beat lied and he actually hates Stephen King novels) and I thought he was the cutest guy ever. I watched so much TNG because of that crush (and endless viewings of Stand By Me, too). Then I grew up a bit and developed a crush on Patrick Stewart (and still watched TNG because I liked it). Rawr!

KingGorilla wrote:
wordsmythe wrote:
I like talking about most games more than playing them.

I dislike most games writing.

Do you mean the writing within the game-script and story. Or the writing about games in print and web form?

Both could be better.

I admit and understand, however, that both are undergoing a slow evolution. Writing in games and the ways and levels at which we discuss games are both better than they once were, on average, in some pretty definite ways. We aren't there yet, though, and no one blog or dev house — no matter how praised — strikes me as able to truly move things forward at an accelerated pace.

Mimble wrote:
My own confession, I had a quiet but super hard-core crush on Wil Wheaton. I mean, he liked the same books as me (unless Tiger Beat lied and he actually hates Stephen King novels) and I thought he was the cutest guy ever. I watched so much TNG because of that crush (and endless viewings of Stand By Me, too). Then I grew up a bit and developed a crush on Patrick Stewart (and still watched TNG because I liked it). Rawr!

I believe that every straight man is allowed one gay crush while still remaining straight.

Patrick Stewart is my gay crush.

hbi2k wrote:
Mimble wrote:
My own confession, I had a quiet but super hard-core crush on Wil Wheaton. I mean, he liked the same books as me (unless Tiger Beat lied and he actually hates Stephen King novels) and I thought he was the cutest guy ever. I watched so much TNG because of that crush (and endless viewings of Stand By Me, too). Then I grew up a bit and developed a crush on Patrick Stewart (and still watched TNG because I liked it). Rawr!

I believe that every straight man is allowed one gay crush while still remaining straight.

Patrick Stewart is my gay crush.

Idris Elba.

Meh. Gay, straight. They're just labels. Everyone's on the curve. Patrick Stewart's sexy whoever or whatever you are. He's omnisexually sexy. I wouldn't mind being on a date with him.

Edward Norton... or maybe Robert Downey Junior?

hbi2k wrote:
I believe that every straight man is allowed one gay crush while still remaining straight.

... damn it!

LarryC wrote:
Meh. Gay, straight. They're just labels. Everyone's on the curve. Patrick Stewart's sexy whoever or whatever you are. He's omnisexually sexy. I wouldn't mind being on a date with him.

Patrick Stewart is a brilliant specimen of the male condition, no doubt. But come on, such a safe choice? Now, if you wanna talk about either Tony Stark *or* Robert Downey Jr then you've finally got something to cross the road for.

trueheart78 wrote:
I've never watched through the entirety of Pulp Fiction. Fell asleep both times I tried to.

That film is worth it for the pop tarts.

In my student days I fell asleep during a special screening of The Big Sleep and missed at least half of the film

IMAGE(http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/The_Big_Sleep.jpg)

A TV show, film or comic series recommended by a someone else is just that until I find that I really like it and then it becomes the TV show, film or comic series that I discovered.

C'mon guys, it's all about Christopher Walken.

So dreamy.

ccesarano wrote:
C'mon guys, it's all about Christopher Walken.

So dreamy.

Mad ping-pong skills. And he can dance.