Far Cry 3

Even in Hard, you'll still feel like something of a god. But only in terms of potential damage *you* can deal. As Grubber says, you will be almost equally torn apart in an open gunfight.

BlackSabre wrote:
What side stuff? Like the wanted or animal hunt missions?

I've been doing just mostly side stuff. Only beat story mission 3 so far and mostly it's just been collecting relics and climbing towers etc, with an absolute crapload of hunting. Actually it's safe to say that 75% of my time has been exploring and hunting.

Really looking forward to these other weapons now.

Open up your handbook. On the first page (stats), it will show you the full range of completion goals. Within these are white stars, which signify Signature Weapons.

Hyetal wrote:
Open up your handbook. On the first page (stats), it will show you the full range of completion goals. Within these are white stars, which signify Signature Weapons.

Sweet! Now to wait till I get home. Nuts.

Thin_J wrote:
I've seen so much of this game in the last week, and I want it so bad.

IMAGE(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/Thin_J/AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.gif)

This will be me at work all day.

Fired up FC2 to stave off the want-pangs, as I won't be getting this for a week or so until Christmas bonus comes through.

I'm interested in the outposts - there were a lot of small 2-3 man checkpoints around in FC2 - have they reduced the number of these in favour of larger, permanently-clearable outposts?

Oh, and how do the random encounters compare? Many was the time a jeep would come careering round a blind corner and open up on me, which was always excellent.

Happy Dave wrote:

I'm interested in the outposts - there were a lot of small 2-3 man checkpoints around in FC2 - have they reduced the number of these in favour of larger, permanently-clearable outposts?

Oh, and how do the random encounters compare? Many was the time a jeep would come careering round a blind corner and open up on me, which was always excellent.

Outposts all vary but most have around half a dozen guards, maybe a guard dog or two and a couple of alarm posts. If the alarm gets sounded than a couple of extra jeeps-full of men turn up. Some of them are close to roads as well so you can occasionally pick up the occasional random passing enemy patrol as an extra unexpected spanner in the works. And yes they are permanently cleared when beaten.

There's often interesting variations as well, at least one camp I found had a large number of trained dogs and only a couple of men, and you often get little procedural gems like one camp which I cleared out "silently" by hanging back and waiting for an angry tiger to do my job for me . I've also had allied tribesmen turn up unexpectedly to attack camps as well, which make for a nice distraction.

In hostile areas (red on the map) there are regular (very regular) road patrols of jeeps and the odd two man patrol on foot. Clearing outposts clears up the hostile zones replacing the bad guys with regular villagers and allied tribesmen.

There are also little side missions you get when clearing camps where you have to go assassinate bandit leaders with your knife which are almost like really cool little puzzles as you try to figure out how to use the environment to best sneak up and deal with the leader and his guards.

Just took out the story mission 5 area with a silenced bolt action sniper rifle. Holy awesome filled underpants of joy that was cool.

Also, obligatory repair tool kill is done too. Only thing now is to skydive from my glider while firing rockets at tigers. :p

Oh and I still hate snakes!
IMAGE(http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/900981546236425900/E9C758FA540220F23B4CCC2C2F54299EB378AD33/)

stevenmack wrote:

In hostile areas (red on the map) there are regular (very regular) road patrols of jeeps and the odd two man patrol on foot. Clearing outposts clears up the hostile zones replacing the bad guys with regular villagers and allied tribesmen.

There are also little side missions you get when clearing camps where you have to go assassinate bandit leaders with your knife which are almost like really cool little puzzles as you try to figure out how to use the environment to best sneak up and deal with the leader and his guards.

This sounds excellent. Some of the best emergent 'oh f*ck' moments I had in FC2 were precipitated by turning a corner into an unanticipated guard post, so I would have been sad if that had gone away.

Resolve... cracking...

Quick question for you guys about equipment from the second half of the game:

Spoiler:
Can you use the wing suit any time, even once you're in your disguise? Or is it only used in specific situations (like the start of the second part of the game)?

Tom Chick doesn't love it or hate it. I've never had to deal with this situation, so I don't know what to think. He is very disappointed, though, that it's not more Far Cry 2.

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/201...

That's Tom Chick's Schtick; I am convinced by now that he always plays the dissenting party in order to generate buzz for himself. I was an apologist for him for a while, but now I just ignore him.

IUMogg wrote:
Tom Chick doesn't love it or hate it. I've never had to deal with this situation, so I don't know what to think. He is very disappointed, though, that it's not more Far Cry 2.

I'd say that review is actually pretty scathing.

I can relate to his regrets about loss of immersion with things like the profusion of menu screens, popup messages, mini-map, no in-game map, and overall "gaminess", but on the other hand it does sound like he's basically flaming the game for making the franchise more accessible and fun. Which, for the series to thrive from a business perspective, it kind of had to do...

Ugh... I need to stop torturing myself by coming to this thread. I swear I've had all my questions answered already but I still keep coming back and going "Hmm should I pick up this game?" And sadly while a little voice says yes in the back of my head the voice I listen to shouts no. Or well "wait a few weeks and pick it up on sale."

Even more of a no now that there are snakes in it. I can deal with violence, I can deal with gore, I can deal with uncomfortably bad sexual content, but snakes? There is a reason I recently decided it isn't a fear but a phobia. Heck I saw the image above and started moving my feet to where they might be safe from any snakes on the ground even though there aren't any.

Here's an odd question but, can I play the game and have snakes removed? Just wondering if there is an option, if not I'll wait a few weeks and see if there is a mod like the spider replacement mod for Skyrim.

I have a love-hate relationship with Tom Chick in the sense that I love to hate his reviews, but his analysis isn't wrong here. At the same time, what he chooses to focus on when comparing both games is perhaps not that important. Personally, I want a game to be fun, immersive, and emergent -- and FC3 is all of those things (though perhaps not as immersive as FC2, for the reasons Chick points out). While I loved FC2, it could get extremely tedious -- even just travelling from one place to another became a chore. In FC3, however, there is certainly repetition, but there is enough variation that the game play stays fresh.

Wolfen Victrocious wrote:
Here's an odd question but, can I play the game and have snakes removed? Just wondering if there is an option, if not I'll wait a few weeks and see if there is a mod like the spider replacement mod for Skyrim.

Ubisoft isn't a mod-friendly developer, so I doubt there will be a mod to remove snakes. For what it's worth, in about 15 hours in the game, I've only come across three snakes -- which is three too many, but you run into other animals much more frequently.

chaosmos wrote:
IUMogg wrote:
Tom Chick doesn't love it or hate it. I've never had to deal with this situation, so I don't know what to think. He is very disappointed, though, that it's not more Far Cry 2.

I'd say that review is actually pretty scathing.

I can relate to his regrets about loss of immersion with things like the profusion of menu screens, popup messages, mini-map, no in-game map, and overall "gaminess", but on the other hand it does sound like he's basically flaming the game for making the franchise more accessible and fun. Which, for the series to thrive from a business perspective, it kind of had to do...

The text is tough, but he gave it 3 out 5 stars and does mention he enjoyed the game, between paragraphs beating it down. But the score is what led me to the conclusion that he doesn't hate it.

Yay! It's unlocked! Sadly, it's updating something. Yay! It's done! I'm off to play!
Edit: Crap, it's not done. Now I have to wait another two minutes. Whiiiine!

I went from absolutely zero interest to tempted to buy this in about a day. The raving on the Giantbombcast and their Quick Look reminds me of how I felt about Dead Island (awesomely). FPS+Progression+Crafting+EXP=Vector's Interested.

What's the verdict?

TheGameguru wrote:
So my free copy was actually from Ubisoft directly.. I redeemed it on their website.. I downloaded their UbiPlay client and installed that but no games appear under My Games to preload or download.. including the Free Copy of Assassins Creed 3 I got from some other video card.. so this Ubiplay client is seperate from the Digitial Distribution on the Ubisoft website? Thats beyond dumb.. at least EA consolidated "most" of my digital content I had over the years into Origin.

Did you figure this out? I'm stumped. I bought it from steam. Steam launches uplay. It's not listed in my "games" section of uplay. I can't find a place to redeem a game in uplay. I tried the uplay website without luck so I went to ubi.com and did the register there and they thanked me for registering far cry 3 but I still can't figure out how to actually play it...

ibdoomed wrote:
TheGameguru wrote:
So my free copy was actually from Ubisoft directly.. I redeemed it on their website.. I downloaded their UbiPlay client and installed that but no games appear under My Games to preload or download.. including the Free Copy of Assassins Creed 3 I got from some other video card.. so this Ubiplay client is seperate from the Digitial Distribution on the Ubisoft website? Thats beyond dumb.. at least EA consolidated "most" of my digital content I had over the years into Origin.

Did you figure this out? I'm stumped. I bought it from steam. Steam launches uplay. It's not listed in my "games" section of uplay. I can't find a place to redeem a game in uplay. I tried the uplay website without luck so I went to ubi.com and did the register there and they thanked me for registering far cry 3 but I still can't figure out how to actually play it...

What?? That's even more bizzare than my situation.. why on earth does Steam launch another DD client?

In my case I got an email from Ubi with a download link for Far Cry 3.. its downloading right now to my desktop.. looks to be about 29GB.. One assumes from that I can install the game.. no clue how this will end up working or not with uPlay... I'm not even sure WTF uPlay is?? When you "buy" a game from it its basically taking you to the ubishop website (where hilariously enough I redeemed my Keys for the free Assassin'c Creed 3 and Far Cry 3)

I'm convinced, despite the fact that my grenade/hill questions haven't been answered.

TheGameguru wrote:
ibdoomed wrote:
TheGameguru wrote:
So my free copy was actually from Ubisoft directly.. I redeemed it on their website.. I downloaded their UbiPlay client and installed that but no games appear under My Games to preload or download.. including the Free Copy of Assassins Creed 3 I got from some other video card.. so this Ubiplay client is seperate from the Digitial Distribution on the Ubisoft website? Thats beyond dumb.. at least EA consolidated "most" of my digital content I had over the years into Origin.

Did you figure this out? I'm stumped. I bought it from steam. Steam launches uplay. It's not listed in my "games" section of uplay. I can't find a place to redeem a game in uplay. I tried the uplay website without luck so I went to ubi.com and did the register there and they thanked me for registering far cry 3 but I still can't figure out how to actually play it...

What?? That's even more bizzare than my situation.. why on earth does Steam launch another DD client?

In my case I got an email from Ubi with a download link for Far Cry 3.. its downloading right now to my desktop.. looks to be about 29GB.. One assumes from that I can install the game.. no clue how this will end up working or not with uPlay... I'm not even sure WTF uPlay is?? When you "buy" a game from it its basically taking you to the ubishop website (where hilariously enough I redeemed my Keys for the free Assassin'c Creed 3 and Far Cry 3)

Hrm. Well steam only downloaded 9gb so that's fishy... it's probably just a virus.

Picked this up today at retail. I'm digging it quite a bit. I do have one huge nit-pick. They let you remap keys for controls, but it didn't translated to driving. I'm a lefty and use the arrow keys, which work fine on foot, but as soon as I step into a vehicle, I'm forced to use WASD. I hope they can patch a fix in for this. In the interim, I'm using a 360 controller to play on PC.

TheGameguru wrote:

In my case I got an email from Ubi with a download link for Far Cry 3.. its downloading right now to my desktop.. looks to be about 29GB.. One assumes from that I can install the game.. no clue how this will end up working or not with uPlay... I'm not even sure WTF uPlay is??

Yeah, the game was only a 9gig download for me. Not sure where the extra 20gig is coming from 0_o

Oh please someone tell me is there an ini setting to disable head bob? I get pretty bad motion sickness/headaches with it on.

Anyone playing on the consoles? Any reports?

This is a sure fire purchase for me as soon as the holidays are over but with Halo 4, Borderlands 2, AC3, Forza Horizon, and Dishonored all being recent purchases, I can't pull the trigger yet. And I still haven't touched X-Com.

I've heard that the frame-rate is taxed on consoles, but nothing game-breaking (25-30, if I remember correctly).

As long as you go in understanding that current PC game fidelity has left consoles behind you should be fine.

All the content is the same between the two and nothing on the console is broken mechanically.

stevenmack wrote:
TheGameguru wrote:

In my case I got an email from Ubi with a download link for Far Cry 3.. its downloading right now to my desktop.. looks to be about 29GB.. One assumes from that I can install the game.. no clue how this will end up working or not with uPlay... I'm not even sure WTF uPlay is??

Yeah, the game was only a 9gig download for me. Not sure where the extra 20gig is coming from 0_o

Sorry its 9GB.. I didnt realize I made that typo when I was typing 9

Bonus_Eruptus wrote:
I'm convinced, despite the fact that my grenade/hill questions haven't been answered.

I just tried a couple on a fairly steep hill and they mostly stay where they land. They rolled an inch or two before exploding. Granted, they have a crazy short fuse so they might not have just had time to roll much.

Vega wrote:
Bonus_Eruptus wrote:
I'm convinced, despite the fact that my grenade/hill questions haven't been answered.

I just tried a couple on a fairly steep hill and they mostly stay where they land. They rolled an inch or two before exploding. Granted, they have a crazy short fuse so they might not have just had time to roll much.

Interest fading...

Trashie wrote:
Anyone playing on the consoles? Any reports?

Plays fine on the PS3, I've had a couple of jerky moments but nothing really bad.