Walking Dead (No Comics! No Spoilers Beyond What's Aired)!

They're already outnumbered and likely going up against some heavy ammo (even though that one chick didn't seem to be able to hit the broad side of a barn with an arrow).

I can't remember if I brought this up here, but yeah, my wife and I talked about that incident with the woman and the bow. Didn't the Gov mention that she supposed to be an "expert" at archery and would teach Andrea? Then Andrea hopped down and got the job done. It also sort of jives with the Doctor and his experiment last night (which no one's mentioned yet!? ) where he hadn't seen anyone actually change into a walker yet (although shouldn't he have seen the soldier they saved from the heli crash?). It's like the Woodbury residents have a sort of casual disconnect with reality or a false sense of their superiority which (of course) may come crashing down on them.

The experiment with the dying man. This was kind of fascinating to me. Was this what the Doctor (sorry, can't remember his name) was working on when he mentioned "power demands" of the party interfering with an experiment, presumably to power lights and the phonograph? I was REALLY curious to see what would ultimately happen when he turned. It almost would have been more shocking if he had gotten a response. Almost like the walkers aren't fully dead, a piece of themselves remain (a la Bub from Day of the Dead). Also, why was the doctor so frantic for a response? Will the Gov hold him responsible / kill him for failing? So many questions still...

Also, great fight by Glenn, Maggie cracking was perfectly done. And I cannot wait to see what happens when the brothers meet up. The next episode could be 30 minutes of them and I would be happy with that.

LockAndLoad wrote:

Also, why was the doctor so frantic for a response? Will the Gov hold him responsible / kill him for failing? So many questions still...

My guess is that no small part of it is that he's afraid to not give the Governor the answer he wants.

I think the guy in the cabin was just crazy.

Gaald wrote:

I think the guy in the cabin was just crazy.

I thought that at first, but saying he'd call the cops made me wonder if he was a Unabomber type who hadn't had any human contact in years and didn't know about the outbreak.

Bonus_Eruptus wrote:
Gaald wrote:

I think the guy in the cabin was just crazy.

I thought that at first, but saying he'd call the cops made me wonder if he was a Unabomber type who hadn't had any human contact in years and didn't know about the outbreak.

He obviously at one point new about the Walkers because his whole cabin was boarded up. I just think that being trapped in the cabin with only his dog, and probably very little food and water, drove him nuts. He completely lost his grip on reality. He had a dead dog sitting in the middle of his cabin for crying out loud. The smell was apparently atrocious.

I think the cabin guy had to have known about the walkers and kept the dead dog as a way to have the smell mask his on odor and make him less a target for the dead.

(but I also think he's an unlikely entity given he'd need to forage successfully since the start of the outbreak.)

I also like how crazy hermits generally shaved about 5 days ago. Never long enough to have nice beards and never recently enough that you think they are sane.

Eleima wrote:
PaladinTom wrote:

I think that at first Daryl will side with Merl because he's family. Merl will give him crap for going soft, and Daryl will realize after a bit that Merl is just a lackey and that Daryl really has become important within his group. The climax will come when Merl is about to kill Rick and Daryl will have to kill his own brother to save him.

Yeah, that scenario is completely plausible, I've toyed with it too...

PaladinTom wrote:

Anyone know when the second half of the season is airing?

My guess is not before February, if last year is any indication. Gosh, the wait is going to be so hard!!!!

Seems March 2013 is the latest speculation.

I really hope that the writers came up with a great story arch for the Dyxon Brothers.
They've been telegraphing Daryl's niceness all season. And with Merle's zombie gladiators scenes, have established him as a real bad ass.
A Mexican stand off, a western showdown would be too easy or too lazy for all this build up.

Glenn is still the most awesome person on the show.

There's going to be a decent wait until the show returns, but if Andrea doesn't end up leaving the Governor soon I'll want her dead.

What is up with the gain a black man lose a black man these last few episodes? Gained new beardy black guy so no need for Oscar...

I am still sad T-dog died.

Yay, Tyrese is here!

Gimpy_Butzke wrote:

Glenn is still the most awesome person on the show.

There's going to be a decent wait until the show returns, but if Andrea doesn't end up leaving the Governor soon I'll want her dead.

February 10th isn't too bad. I thought it wouldn't be out till March or April.

[quote=LockAndLoad]

Also, great fight by Glenn, Maggie cracking was perfectly done. And I cannot wait to see what happens when the brothers meet up. The next episode could be 30 minutes of them and I would be happy with that.

This is old news now, but I have to agree. They showed that she does not care what happens to her and is strong in the face of his sexual threats. The governor knows this so he switches tactics and threatens Glen. I think they played it really well and showed the true nature of Maggie & Glen.

P.S They really need to clean up the other half of the prison and close off that gate the new group slipped through.

I still can't get over the turn around from last year. Freaking fantastic!

I was a little worried when they started the episode off by following a new group, a little perplexed why after living in that world for so long that one women didn't know better not to freaking scream constantly and draw attention to the group. She needed to die, glad she did, no room for stupid people. I was giddy when they did the pull away from the broken building and you could tell it was the prison. Carl handled the situation great. Which was nice because I really hated his character at the end of last year and he's starting to come around for me.

The prisoner hitting on the 17 girl was both unnerving and funny, the conversation with Carol afterwards was hilarious!

Can't wait for the second half. I hope they can keep this pace up.

Gaald wrote:

I still can't get over the turn around from last year. Freaking fantastic!

I was a little worried when they started the episode off by following a new group, a little perplexed why after living in that world for so long that one women didn't know better not to freaking scream constantly and draw attention to the group. She needed to die, glad she did, no room for stupid people. I was giddy when they did the pull away from the broken building and you could tell it was the prison. Carl handled the situation great. Which was nice because I really hated his character at the end of last year and he's starting to come around for me.

The prisoner hitting on the 17 girl was both unnerving and funny, the conversation with Carol afterwards was hilarious!

Can't wait for the second half. I hope they can keep this pace up.

We never did hear or see the hammer so they might not have killed her before reanimation...

So here I am, all caught up. I, too, am warming up to Carl, I have to say I did not like his character at all, and in this last episode, he kept a cool head and did what he needed to to keep the group (and little Judith, yay, baby has a name now) safe.

That pull away from the prison's crumbling wall was well done indeed.

I can't believe Andrea hasn't spoken up after all she saw in the Governor's quarters, the jars, the severed heads, turned little Penny... And man, that guy is absolutely hardcore, feeding Merle and Daryl to the wolves, so to speak. Perhaps he was starting to believe that he couldn't trust Merle anymore.

Argh, is it February (or March) yet?

Very good episode overall. I didn't care so much for the shootout, and I feel like the writers put off the big confrontation until everyone's back at the prison.

However, Mishonne taking out Penny right in front of the Governor was classic! Can't wait till February.

Ooh, I forgot something!!

Brizahd wrote:

What is up with the gain a black man lose a black man these last few episodes? Gained new beardy black guy so no need for Oscar...
I am still sad T-dog died.

This. Absolutely this. Now I'm generally pretty colorblind, but seriously, that was pretty glaring. T-Dog dies (and that was a real shame, but he was awesome), prison guy (I didn't catch his name, Oscar you say?) "replaces" him in the raid to get Glenn and Maggie back, dies in like an episode or two, and enter third black guy. Does that seem right to you?

Do the previews for the next episode count as what's aired? If not:

Spoiler:

It's pretty clear at least Darryl escapes, since the preview has him out in the woods again. Way to hang that cliff, AMC.

Eleima wrote:

I can't believe Andrea hasn't spoken up after all she saw in the Governor's quarters, the jars, the severed heads, turned little Penny... And man, that guy is absolutely hardcore, feeding Merle and Daryl to the wolves, so to speak. Perhaps he was starting to believe that he couldn't trust Merle anymore.

That's definitely it. Remember, Merle told him that he'd killed Michonne in an earlier episode. Then she shows up in a very much unkilled state and sticks a sword through his zombie daughter and three inches of glass through his eye.

I think the guy's pretty fricking nuts in most things, but I'd say he's on solid ground for not trusting Merle at this point. He's wrong, but he's wrong based on solid logic.

Do the previews for the next episode count as what's aired? If not:

They do not, so thank you for using the spoiler tags, it's really appreciated.

Teneman wrote:
Eleima wrote:

I can't believe Andrea hasn't spoken up after all she saw in the Governor's quarters, the jars, the severed heads, turned little Penny... And man, that guy is absolutely hardcore, feeding Merle and Daryl to the wolves, so to speak. Perhaps he was starting to believe that he couldn't trust Merle anymore.

That's definitely it. Remember, Merle told him that he'd killed Michonne in an earlier episode. Then she shows up in a very much unkilled state and sticks a sword through his zombie daughter and three inches of glass through his eye.

I think the guy's pretty fricking nuts in most things, but I'd say he's on solid ground for not trusting Merle at this point. He's wrong, but he's wrong based on solid logic.

Absolutely.

I actually like what they have done with the Governor role. He is pretty crazy, but not completely, at least up until this past episode. He's ruthless but he seems sincere when he talks about protecting the village, so there is a reason behind what he does. I think seeing Michonne put a sword through his zombie daughter is finally going to drive him completely over the edge. If he gets a chance to live that long. I can't imagine threatening the brothers is going to turn out well for him. I assume, nay I hope, Andrea is finally going to piece everything together and realize the Governor is a creep.

Eleima wrote:

Ooh, I forgot something!!

Brizahd wrote:

What is up with the gain a black man lose a black man these last few episodes? Gained new beardy black guy so no need for Oscar...
I am still sad T-dog died.

This. Absolutely this. Now I'm generally pretty colorblind, but seriously, that was pretty glaring. T-Dog dies (and that was a real shame, but he was awesome), prison guy (I didn't catch his name, Oscar you say?) "replaces" him in the raid to get Glenn and Maggie back, dies in like an episode or two, and enter third black guy. Does that seem right to you?

Yeah, as much improved as the show is (and man, do I think it's improved), this is still pretty horrendous. People joked about how Cutty's arrival meant the other black guy better watch out, but I don't think anyone expected to be that right, that quickly.

SpacePPoliceman wrote:
Eleima wrote:

Ooh, I forgot something!!

Brizahd wrote:

What is up with the gain a black man lose a black man these last few episodes? Gained new beardy black guy so no need for Oscar...
I am still sad T-dog died.

This. Absolutely this. Now I'm generally pretty colorblind, but seriously, that was pretty glaring. T-Dog dies (and that was a real shame, but he was awesome), prison guy (I didn't catch his name, Oscar you say?) "replaces" him in the raid to get Glenn and Maggie back, dies in like an episode or two, and enter third black guy. Does that seem right to you?

Yeah, as much improved as the show is (and man, do I think it's improved), this is still pretty horrendous. People joked about how Cutty's arrival meant the other black guy better watch out, but I don't think anyone expected to be that right, that quickly.

Yeah the unpredictability is one of my favorite things about the show. I'm starting to feel certain people are safe which is sad cause I really enjoyed the fear anyone could die. Like I was super worried Glenn or Maggie might've died.

Been loving this season. They're doing a great job of establishing tension and keeping a claustrophobic and dangerous tone. The Michonne/Governor/Penny scenes were genius.

Also,

SpacePPoliceman wrote:

Cutty's arrival

I see (Chad Coleman) show up and shout 'Cutty!!' My wife looks at me like I'm retarded.

Just throwing this out there. Carry on.

GioClark wrote:

Also,

SpacePPoliceman wrote:

Cutty's arrival

I see (Chad Coleman) show up and shout 'Cutty!!' My wife looks at me like I'm retarded.

Just throwing this out there. Carry on.

Michael K Williams has an inane cameo in the Norton Hulk, where all he does is step out of an alley looking "Oh sh*t, Hulk's smashing!" And I alone in the theater looked the mad man, throwing my hands in the air and shouting "OMAR COMIN'!" So, I know the feeling.

Nice!

What the Walking Dead really needs is a Snoop cameo, if only to talk about the importance of conserving ammunition.

Gaald wrote:
Teneman wrote:
Eleima wrote:

I can't believe Andrea hasn't spoken up after all she saw in the Governor's quarters, the jars, the severed heads, turned little Penny... And man, that guy is absolutely hardcore, feeding Merle and Daryl to the wolves, so to speak. Perhaps he was starting to believe that he couldn't trust Merle anymore.

That's definitely it. Remember, Merle told him that he'd killed Michonne in an earlier episode. Then she shows up in a very much unkilled state and sticks a sword through his zombie daughter and three inches of glass through his eye.

I think the guy's pretty fricking nuts in most things, but I'd say he's on solid ground for not trusting Merle at this point. He's wrong, but he's wrong based on solid logic.

Absolutely.

I actually like what they have done with the Governor role. He is pretty crazy, but not completely, at least up until this past episode. He's ruthless but he seems sincere when he talks about protecting the village, so there is a reason behind what he does. I think seeing Michonne put a sword through his zombie daughter is finally going to drive him completely over the edge. If he gets a chance to live that long. I can't imagine threatening the brothers is going to turn out well for him. I assume, nay I hope, Andrea is finally going to piece everything together and realize the Governor is a creep.

I had a different take on this. I'm sure that double cross passed the Gov's mind, but the reason he's feeding Merle and Daryl to the wolves is to kill two birds with one stone.

Every scene we see of the governor, we see him lying to his people. The reason he didn't want Andrea involved and needed her off the street was to avoid getting caught in his lie.

With Merle as a double crosser, not only does he get rid of the unreliable henchman, he now has a driver to turn his people into his own thinking: everyone that isn't them is dangerous and needs to be killed.

Merle lied because he was terrified of what the Gov would do to him. Seems his fears were justified.

-----EDIT TO ADD-------------
Stop replacing black actors like players at bat; racist criticisms are going to go through the roof. Next thing you know, latest black actors are gonna be cast permanently due to PR reasons and not let the writers kill off actors at their whim.

I don't mean to sound racist, I love Tyrese's character, but if the production feel it's his time to die, so be it. Keep this shenanigans up and the Actor's Guild is gonna be all over the production.

----------EDIT TO ADD--------------

Brilliant use of Rick hallucinating Shane in that scene. I'm sensing we haven't seen the last of Rick's mind going out the window.

Hobbes2099 wrote:

Brilliant use of Rick hallucinating Shane in that scene. I'm sensing we haven't seen the last of Rick's mind going out the window.

What?!?!? How did I miss that? When was that?? o_O

Hobbes2099 wrote:

Stop replacing black actors like players at bat; racist criticisms are going to go through the roof. Next thing you know, latest black actors are gonna be cast permanently due to PR reasons and not let the writers kill off actors at their whim.
I don't mean to sound racist, I love Tyrese's character, but if the production feel it's his time to die, so be it. Keep this shenanigans up and the Actor's Guild is gonna be all over the production.

I agree, it was probably time for him to die. Either him, or Carol, at that point. They have to keep killing people off, otherwise you start feeling "too safe". But killing the convict in so short a time afterwards... I'm not going to say it seemed deliberate, but they could've picked someone else to off...

Eleima wrote:
Hobbes2099 wrote:

Brilliant use of Rick hallucinating Shane in that scene. I'm sensing we haven't seen the last of Rick's mind going out the window.

What?!?!? How did I miss that? When was that?? o_O

Hobbes2099 wrote:

Stop replacing black actors like players at bat; racist criticisms are going to go through the roof. Next thing you know, latest black actors are gonna be cast permanently due to PR reasons and not let the writers kill off actors at their whim.
I don't mean to sound racist, I love Tyrese's character, but if the production feel it's his time to die, so be it. Keep this shenanigans up and the Actor's Guild is gonna be all over the production.

I agree, it was probably time for him to die. Either him, or Carol, at that point. They have to keep killing people off, otherwise you start feeling "too safe". But killing the convict in so short a time afterwards... I'm not going to say it seemed deliberate, but they could've picked someone else to off...

It was during the shoot out. In fact Rick froze when he saw what he thought was Shane walking towards him. Rick freezing was the reason the inmate got shot. I actually kind of laughed at that whole moment because all I could think of during that slow motion sequence was, when did Shane become Wolverine?

Certainly feel like zombies and situations are no longer the threat; they're the climate. People are the threat.

For some reason, last season's pub scene was stronger in that regard. Probably just because it broched the subject.

Creepy motor bike mechanic is creepy.

Spoiler:

The new character is a strong leader type. Plus I caught the preview of Carl speaking to Rick. He's setting up to be the new leader?