Walking Dead (No Comics! No Spoilers Beyond What's Aired)!

Really enjoying this season so far as well!! I really liked that they portrayed Lori laboring standing up, and not lying down, that was really realistic, a nice touch.

ruhk wrote:

So, anyone want to take bets on how long the baby lives? :P

Well, honestly, if we're being honest... Not that long. A newborn is NOISY, and needy, and doesn't cope too well with stagnant water or food rationing. Poor thing... But a zombie apocalypse is just not the time to be small and helpless. The memory alone of that bloody baby car seat in the second season gives me the chills...

I'm surprised to hear some commentary that this season is better than the last.
While the farm was low action, there were good character stories going on. I actually became interested in who some of the characters were.
It made me like Hershel.

This season, I'm not interested in the new characters, and some of the ones I was interested in are dead.
Glen is totally out of play.
Daryl is still mildly interesting because he seems to be still changing from when we first met him.

Michone is just too pouty.

The Governor became more interesting this episode. I was sure he was a bad guy. Now I'm thinking that he's going to be a grey guy. But still not a character that I can identify with. The WWZ scene was so so so out of place. It felt like a 180. Were we supposed to get the idea that on the front side, the town is Beaver Cleaver, but on the backside, "the research team" are doing this for sick entertainment? It all started like The Governor was taking Andrea to the county fair. It just didn't fit with what they were setting the town up to be. In order for that to work, and for the town to be all some kind of Stepford people, there would have needed to be more creepy factor on the front side. I didn't get any of that.

The baby: Is AMC detached enough from mainstream TV, ratings, and standards boards that they could kill a baby in the plot? The whole baby thing takes me right out of it. I guess they did kill a kid in the opening scene of season 1 didn't they? I just keep thinking, "what could they possibly show on TV about that baby?"

The prison set is really boring. Are they contrasting it to the Governor's town? It's a dark industrial basement. There's no sense of place to it. A yard, and a basement.
The first seas was great with the city and the camp. The second season was good with the farm and the surrounding area. I don't get the same sense of place about either the prison or the town. The prison just doesn't really exist in my mind as a place. We haven't seen an infirmary, a library, offices, exercise equipment....just some tunnels and some fences. The town is somehow more difficult. It's really detached, which I suppose it is intended to be. I'm OK with the town setting.

Now, I've complained about a lot of things, but I'm still enjoying the season.

I foresee them making Glen's girlfriend pregnant, so she can nurse the baby. Wouldn't it be an avant garde plot to have the group force them into that?

Eleima wrote:

Well, honestly, if we're being honest... Not that long. A newborn is NOISY, and needy, and doesn't cope too well with stagnant water or food rationing. Poor thing... But a zombie apocalypse is just not the time to be small and helpless.

That's been my thought. I guess considering the circumstances of the delivery it was either lose both of them or lose Lori, but putting aside arguments on Lori's usefulness it's a really bad time to trade a fully-capable adult for an infant.

LiquidMantis wrote:
Eleima wrote:

Well, honestly, if we're being honest... Not that long. A newborn is NOISY, and needy, and doesn't cope too well with stagnant water or food rationing. Poor thing... But a zombie apocalypse is just not the time to be small and helpless.

That's been my thought. I guess considering the circumstances of the delivery it was either lose both of them or lose Lori, but putting aside arguments on Lori's usefulness it's a really bad time to trade a fully-capable adult for an infant.

One of the reasons I thought last year's Morning After Pill storyline was so terrible is because it was framed as a harrowing inner duel against nihilism, whereas I saw Lori contemplating if she should keep her fetus as some pretty damn sensible family planning on her part (if undertaken like a moron). I do think this season is leaps and bounds better than last, but The Scene was brought down for me by a chorus in my head singing "See? See?"

Ghostship wrote:

I'm surprised to hear some commentary that this season is better than the last.
While the farm was low action, there were good character stories going on. I actually became interested in who some of the characters were.
It made me like Hershel.

This season, I'm not interested in the new characters, and some of the ones I was interested in are dead.
Glen is totally out of play.
Daryl is still mildly interesting because he seems to be still changing from when we first met him.

Michone is just too pouty.

The Governor became more interesting this episode. I was sure he was a bad guy. Now I'm thinking that he's going to be a grey guy. But still not a character that I can identify with. The WWZ scene was so so so out of place. It felt like a 180. Were we supposed to get the idea that on the front side, the town is Beaver Cleaver, but on the backside, "the research team" are doing this for sick entertainment? It all started like The Governor was taking Andrea to the county fair. It just didn't fit with what they were setting the town up to be. In order for that to work, and for the town to be all some kind of Stepford people, there would have needed to be more creepy factor on the front side. I didn't get any of that.

The baby: Is AMC detached enough from mainstream TV, ratings, and standards boards that they could kill a baby in the plot? The whole baby thing takes me right out of it. I guess they did kill a kid in the opening scene of season 1 didn't they? I just keep thinking, "what could they possibly show on TV about that baby?"

The prison set is really boring. Are they contrasting it to the Governor's town? It's a dark industrial basement. There's no sense of place to it. A yard, and a basement.
The first seas was great with the city and the camp. The second season was good with the farm and the surrounding area. I don't get the same sense of place about either the prison or the town. The prison just doesn't really exist in my mind as a place. We haven't seen an infirmary, a library, offices, exercise equipment....just some tunnels and some fences. The town is somehow more difficult. It's really detached, which I suppose it is intended to be. I'm OK with the town setting.

Now, I've complained about a lot of things, but I'm still enjoying the season.

I foresee them making Glen's girlfriend pregnant, so she can nurse the baby. Wouldn't it be an avant garde plot to have the group force them into that?

Agree on all parts in this assessment. The WWZ scene was way out of place. I don't like that there is a baby in this show now. I also really enjoyed last season and of course season 1.

BUT I still think this is the best show on TV right now.

I know that they have to follow the comics, which I haven't read, and I'm pretending they don't exist, but, what the prison needs, is some Fallout-ness. Just the sense of something old, totally re-purposed.

The ultimate illustration of that would be something like: using the gas chamber as a hothouse for tomatoes.

Ya know what I mean?

Show us Glen's love nest in the guard tower with a lava lamp made from a tin can and glass water cooler bottle. The guard tower is now an apartment. I guess what's missing is showing that the've made a safe haven. They're still clearing it out after a setback, so I guess maybe that's still coming.

I'm afraid that rick is going to become Lori.

Ghostship wrote:

I'm afraid that rick is going to become Lori.

With a really big axe

So is Carol dead? We never see her die, but at the end of the last episode we see Daryl put a flower on a grave with C on it.

They've been at the prison for less than a week, several days of which were spent clearing out the yard and two of the cell blocks. I would like them to show more of it though.

As for Woodbury, the research guy seems to be opposed to the zombie spectacle. I'd be interested in finding out what the project the governor made him postpone was.

I think Michonne is just the right amount of pouty, and am disappointed in Andrea this season, I'd have thought that she'd be more wary of any group in which Merle is a high-ranking member.

Mr E.B. Slugworth wrote:

So is Carol dead? We never see her die, but at the end of the last episode we see Daryl put a flower on a grave with C on it.

I think they're assuming she's dead (due to finding her scarf near what's left of Theodore's body), but I don't think she is, not without a death/zombie death scene.
The grave they made for her is probably an empty one (like Lori's is, what with her body being in the bloated stomach of the zombie Rick found).

Stengah wrote:

The grave they made for her is probably an empty one (like Lori's is, what with her body being in the bloated stomach of the zombie Rick found).

Is that what that scene's about? I wasn't sure why he was so upset with that particular walker.

Mere Anarchy wrote:
Stengah wrote:

The grave they made for her is probably an empty one (like Lori's is, what with her body being in the bloated stomach of the zombie Rick found).

Is that what that scene's about? I wasn't sure why he was so upset with that particular walker.

Yes, he's assuming that was the one that ate her.

Quintin_Stone wrote:
Mere Anarchy wrote:
Stengah wrote:

The grave they made for her is probably an empty one (like Lori's is, what with her body being in the bloated stomach of the zombie Rick found).

Is that what that scene's about? I wasn't sure why he was so upset with that particular walker.

Yes, he's assuming that was the one that ate her.

During the episode my wife was very confused as to how Lori could have changed apperances so fast... I had a good laugh.

goman wrote:
Ghostship wrote:

I'm surprised to hear some commentary that this season is better than the last.
While the farm was low action, there were good character stories going on. I actually became interested in who some of the characters were.
It made me like Hershel.

This season, I'm not interested in the new characters, and some of the ones I was interested in are dead.
Glen is totally out of play.
Daryl is still mildly interesting because he seems to be still changing from when we first met him.

Michone is just too pouty.

The Governor became more interesting this episode. I was sure he was a bad guy. Now I'm thinking that he's going to be a grey guy. But still not a character that I can identify with. The WWZ scene was so so so out of place. It felt like a 180. Were we supposed to get the idea that on the front side, the town is Beaver Cleaver, but on the backside, "the research team" are doing this for sick entertainment? It all started like The Governor was taking Andrea to the county fair. It just didn't fit with what they were setting the town up to be. In order for that to work, and for the town to be all some kind of Stepford people, there would have needed to be more creepy factor on the front side. I didn't get any of that.

The baby: Is AMC detached enough from mainstream TV, ratings, and standards boards that they could kill a baby in the plot? The whole baby thing takes me right out of it. I guess they did kill a kid in the opening scene of season 1 didn't they? I just keep thinking, "what could they possibly show on TV about that baby?"

The prison set is really boring. Are they contrasting it to the Governor's town? It's a dark industrial basement. There's no sense of place to it. A yard, and a basement.
The first seas was great with the city and the camp. The second season was good with the farm and the surrounding area. I don't get the same sense of place about either the prison or the town. The prison just doesn't really exist in my mind as a place. We haven't seen an infirmary, a library, offices, exercise equipment....just some tunnels and some fences. The town is somehow more difficult. It's really detached, which I suppose it is intended to be. I'm OK with the town setting.

Now, I've complained about a lot of things, but I'm still enjoying the season.

I foresee them making Glen's girlfriend pregnant, so she can nurse the baby. Wouldn't it be an avant garde plot to have the group force them into that?

Agree on all parts in this assessment. The WWZ scene was way out of place. I don't like that there is a baby in this show now. I also really enjoyed last season and of course season 1.

BUT I still think this is the best show on TV right now.

Typically, the best way to ruin a show is to bring a baby into it.

Why didn't I know that Andrew Lincoln is British? Heard him on The Nerdist podcast, and would never have guessed for a second he wasn't American.

My wife and I have been steadily getting caught up. I really wish they hadn't killed T-Dog and replaced him with the prisoner whose name I can't remember. Seriously, did the writers sit around a table and think "Let's give him some heart felt dialog, a reason for the audience to like him, and then we'll off his character". GRRRRR.

Darryl rocks. I cannot wait for when he meets up with his brother!

Herschel rocks. Tough SOB. Even bitten and injured the actor still chews up his dialog and spits out awesomeness.

Michonne... My wife keeps asking questions about her background and I've stopped saying "Wait and see." I'm just answering whatever I remember from the comics. I joked with my wife that she's basically Wolverine from the X-Men comics and my wife just kind of got it. A comic fan favorite but horrible to watch sulking about in a TV series.

The baby... I have a funny feeling we'll be hearing "Carl, go take care of the baby!" instead of "Carl, stay in the house!" for the rest of the season.

Also, I have a theory about the Governor's Experiment... Spoilers below (Gaald, if you want theories deleted, just let me know)...

Spoiler:

The scenes with the Governor keep playing up a "control" angle. It reminds me of General Spears from the Aliens graphic novel series "Nightmare Asylum". Basically in a nutshell, Spears trains the Alien to follow orders. His hope is that he can lead his army of Aliens and wipe out the Aliens overrunning Earth.

Just a thought... I kind of hope they've come up with something a bit more original. I didn't read any of the issues with the Governor in it so that whole plotline is new to me.

Last bit... When is Rick ever going to go back and check on Morgan and Duane!?! From the first episode! I always wondered whatever happened to them.

Bonnonon wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:
Mere Anarchy wrote:
Stengah wrote:

The grave they made for her is probably an empty one (like Lori's is, what with her body being in the bloated stomach of the zombie Rick found).

Is that what that scene's about? I wasn't sure why he was so upset with that particular walker.

Yes, he's assuming that was the one that ate her.

During the episode my wife was very confused as to how Lori could have changed apperances so fast... I had a good laugh.

Considering there wasn't a fat zombie sitting on the floor when Carl, Maggie, and baby left the room, I'd say it's a safe assumption (though really, there should still be parts of her around, that zombie wasn't fat enough to have an entire corpse (bones & all) in his belly). T-dog's corpse was still mostly there, and he had two zombies eating him.

LockAndLoad wrote:

Darryl rocks. I cannot wait for when he meets up with his brother!

This is my beacon right now.

Governor's experiment:

Spoiler:

Wouldn't it be to try and cure his daughter?
Or at least placate her. ie "take away their ability to eat and they lose the desire to do so"

That, and the zombie army theory. That was what I thought until I saw his daughter appear in the last episode.

Now, I imagine that he was staring at the zombie heads to get himself used to it, so he doesn't hate himself for being reviled by his daughter. That's a nice conflicting character trait, that makes a good insane villain. Misguided effort in the distorted idea of good.

Stengah wrote:

Considering there wasn't a fat zombie sitting on the floor when Carl, Maggie, and baby left the room, I'd say it's a safe assumption (though really, there should still be parts of her around, that zombie wasn't fat enough to have an entire corpse (bones & all) in his belly). T-dog's corpse was still mostly there, and he had two zombies eating him.

That's why I had troubles with that scene, so I just assumed he didn't find the right room. Plus, it would take a while to eat her, and Rick seems to go on his rampage soon after her death.

Maybe we'll get to see Zombie Lori.

Actually guys I don't think that fat zombie ate Lori, at least not all of her. I think her son didn't shoot her in the head, and she became a walker, or at least whatever was left of her became a walker. When Rick finds the spot she died in there was a lot of blood near where her belly was cut open but Rick finds the bullet on the ground near where her head was, and it looked like that spot was relatively clean, and the bullet didn't look all that bloody. You would expect some brain matter, bone etc.

I think Lori's death is going to get a whole lot worse yet, and if Rick isn't already insane, which I think he is, that will send him right over the edge.

Lockandload: speculation is totally fine! As long as it's just that, speculation. Comic book talk is totally off limits, there are other threads for that. If you simply must mention the comic books spoiler tag it and warn people, in fact I would say a good rule of thumb for this thread is, pretend the comic books never existed. This thread is just about the TV show, and what happens in the TV show there is absolutely no need to compare it to other Walking Dead material.

Gaald wrote:

Lockandload: speculation is totally fine! As long as it's just that, speculation. Comic book talk is totally off limits, there are other threads for that. If you simply must mention the comic books spoiler tag it and warn people, in fact I would say a good rule of thumb for this thread is, pretend the comic books never existed. This thread is just about the TV show, and what happens in the TV show there is absolutely no need to compare it to other Walking Dead material.

Oh crap... sorry, the Michonne comment. I'll shut up now.

Gaald wrote:

Actually guys I don't think that fat zombie ate Lori, at least not all of her. I think her son didn't shoot her in the head, and she became a walker, or at least whatever was left of her became a walker. When Rick finds the spot she died in there was a lot of blood near where her belly was cut open but Rick finds the bullet on the ground near where her head was, and it looked like that spot was relatively clean, and the bullet didn't look all that bloody. You would expect some brain matter, bone etc.

I think Lori's death is going to get a whole lot worse yet, and if Rick isn't already insane, which I think he is, that will send him right over the edge.

Lockandload: speculation is totally fine! As long as it's just that, speculation. Comic book talk is totally off limits, there are other threads for that. If you simply must mention the comic books spoiler tag it and warn people, in fact I would say a good rule of thumb for this thread is, pretend the comic books never existed. This thread is just about the TV show, and what happens in the TV show there is absolutely no need to compare it to other Walking Dead material.

I thought he picked up a shell casing and not the bullet, but I would need to go back to confirm.

Gaald - how do you feel about mentioning things covered in the "Talking Dead" show that comes on after the regular show. There's some stuff relevant to the questions here but I'll stay clear if you want that off limits too.

LockAndLoad wrote:
Gaald wrote:

Lockandload: speculation is totally fine! As long as it's just that, speculation. Comic book talk is totally off limits, there are other threads for that. If you simply must mention the comic books spoiler tag it and warn people, in fact I would say a good rule of thumb for this thread is, pretend the comic books never existed. This thread is just about the TV show, and what happens in the TV show there is absolutely no need to compare it to other Walking Dead material.

Oh crap... sorry, the Michonne comment. I'll shut up now.

No need to shut up now. LOL

I just want a place where people who's only exposure to the series is the show, can feel safe talking about it without being spoiled. I thought the other non comic book thread was that place, but as many of us experienced, that wasn't the case.

Not to speak for Gaald, although I'd bet a sixer that we're in agreement, I feel that the Talking Dead aftershow is more meta-info. I mean we skip the next week previews to avoid spoilers, you think we're going to watch a show with people having inside information discussing things conversationally? Maybe it's more respectful than I realize, I haven't risked watching it myself even though it looks like it would be entertaining. Hopefully those will come in a Blu-Ray box set with the show.

Is this a Schroedinger's cat problem?

Just because they weren't there when you saw it, does that mean there couldn't have been more than one zombie consuming the body?

LiquidMantis wrote:

Not to speak for Gaald, although I'd bet a sixer that we're in agreement, I feel that the Talking Dead aftershow is more meta-info. I mean we skip the next week previews to avoid spoilers, you think we're going to watch a show with people having inside information discussing things conversationally? Maybe it's more respectful than I realize, I haven't risked watching it myself even though it looks like it would be entertaining. Hopefully those will come in a Blu-Ray box set with the show.

There is an audience for everything. People have gotten used to the idea that with all the information out there, things are going to be spoiled for them anyways so they watch all that stuff. I say hell no! I want experience my stories as they happen!

Ghostship wrote:

Is this a Schroedinger's cat problem?

Just because they weren't there when you saw it, does that mean there couldn't have been more than one zombie consuming the body?

The problem with that is there were no skeletal remains either, and we have yet to see zombies eat someone bones and all, so to have her just disappear bones and all is a bit odd.

Someone did mention that maybe they buried her remains, I mean they did dig a grave for her. But we never saw them dispose of the body, nor did we ever see the body of the older women either and yet they dug a grave for her as well. The only remains we know they did find was the T-Dog's.

So either they dug empty graves to represent both of them, even though they had no bodies, or they buried them and didn't show them move the bodies over! The later would just be poor story telling as far as I am concerned. As of right now I am just confused!

Gaald wrote:

Actually guys I don't think that fat zombie ate Lori, at least not all of her. I think her son didn't shoot her in the head, and she became a walker, or at least whatever was left of her became a walker. When Rick finds the spot she died in there was a lot of blood near where her belly was cut open but Rick finds the bullet on the ground near where her head was, and it looked like that spot was relatively clean, and the bullet didn't look all that bloody. You would expect some brain matter, bone etc.[/b]

The Talking Dead covered whether or not that was Lori in the zombie stomach.

Spoiler:

It was.

Oh god I am so tempted to hit that spoiler, but I won't! thanks for using the spoiler tag.