The IDF starterd opreation "Pillar of Cloud" in Gaza (ended Nov 21 2012 23:00 GMT+2)
Ahmed Jabari , Head of the Hamas military branch , was just killed by the IDF. As far as I understood a new military operation is in progress.
I'm hearing channel 2 news live through a stream and they say the operation is called "Pillar of Cloud " in Gaza. Rumors I've read talk about a shut down of open markets and education facilities in the south . The also talk about explosions in Gaza . There was a ceasefire which Egypt mediated that didn't work too because one of the militant groups in Gaza didn't stop shooting.
At least I live 2km (1.2miles) out of rocket range. They are talking about longer range rockets being launched but as far as I know the next rocket ring is 75km range (current one is about 40km) .
Missile range map(idf Facebook click to enlarge):
Events which lead to the military operation :
- a bomb on the border 2 IDF soldier got hurt (light-moderate)
- Cornet missile hit a military jeep but went through instead of explosding - 4 soldiers were wounded . The two that got seriously wounded lost their eye sight.
- 100+ rocket launched at civilian population areas in Israel
update day 1:
- Fajr 5 rocket bunkers bombed - those can reach Tel Aviv with 75km range and carry a 150kg warhead
- the IDF is preparing land forces to enter Gaza
-"Homefront" reservists were called on immediate duty (order ~8 - enlistment for war). The news claim no combat reservist were called on duty ( I bet that information is classified).
Update day 2:
- 3 Israeli civilians dead when grad rocket hit a building in Kiryat Malachi .
- A Syrians mortal shell hit a military base in the northern border causing very light wounds to a soldier (yesterday the IDF shot back as response to a similar incident )
- According to a local news forum(rotter) there is a rocket launch every 10 minutes or less. According to their reports the first ring is getting hit by most of the rockets.
- 3 IDF soldiers were lightly-moderately wounded by a mortar shell
- Channel 2 news : 160 rockets launched and almost 100 were successfully intercepted by Iron Dome .
- Siren in Rishon Le-Zion (north of where I live) - currently none know if it's a real or a false alarm but a women who lives there heard the blast .
- 2 rockets shots at Tel-Aviv. None landed on the ground. I think someone slipped they were intercepted - I think there is one iron dome system there.
update Day 3:
-Egyptian prime minister visits Gaza but gives a very careful speech so the USA doesn't get angry.
- I think the current figure is around 400 rockets launched with about 130+ intercepted. They are talking about 88% interception by iron dome.
- 7km line are still getting hit the hardest but there were hits on Ashkelon and Ashadod
- Ehud Barak the Minister of defense asks for 30000 reservists yesterday and the Chief of Staff calls 16000 reservist sending them "Order 8"s .
- Rafael delivers a 5th iron dome system is IDF a few month early . It was scheduled to be delivered next year.
- Rocket hit Tel Aviv - no casualties
- Rocket hit near Jerusalem
- looks like the reserves are being called (saw one of my neighbors in uniform )
update day 4-5
- A Bunch of rockets some hit buildings but most people obey the instructions which prevented serious injury or death
- The government approved calling up 75000 reserve soldiers
- Iron dome Battery #5 goes active in Tel Aviv and an hour later intercept a rocket.
- A Fajr 5 rocket was intercepted over the Tel Aviv area on Sunday a piece shrapnel hit a car which went up in flames (none got hurt).
- A rocket hit a car near Ofakim, 2 seriously wounded 1 moderately 2 lightly wounded.
- The IDF is escalating its strikes causing more civilian casualties while killing prominent members of Hamas which is known to use the civilian population as human shields.
- There have been large rocket barrages on cities which limited the effectiveness of Iron Dome in the last 15 rocket barrage on Be'er Sheva 3 rockets hit urban areas while the rest were intercepted.
update day 6
- The radio said there is 40% decrease in the number missiles fired
- There is a negotiation for a Cease fire but both sides have preconditions which make it hard to go into effect.
- The IDF started attacking secondary targets like smuggling tunnels
- The news said there are plenty of missiles left for iron dome and each of them cost 50000$ . They also mentioned the system has 3 batteries of 20 missiles each . I've heard they are rushing a 6th system.
update day 6-7
- Last night a Fajr 5 hit a building in Rishon Le-Zion luckily only one person was lightly wounded
- A rocket hit a soldier and killed him. A Bedouin civilian also died from a rocket (they don't have shelters or alarms)
- There was a talk of a cease fire and there was increased fire from both sides .Currently there is no ceasefire agreement.
- There is very little chance of a ground offensive but The IDF was ordered to continue to transform Gaza into a parking lot .
- The residents of north of the Gaza strip was instructed by the IDF to leave their homes. Following that the IDF started using tanks and artillery.
-Bus blew up in Tel-Aviv 17 wounded 2 seriously-moderately 3 moderately they rest sustained light wounds. The worst injury was sustained by s a woman with multiple fracture and dislocated shoulder(Israel channel 10 news).
day 8~ It's over!
- Cease fire that was probably pushed by Obama with someone of promise (the US citizens are going to regret this ). as of 23:00 Monday mutual exchange of fire stopped.
- According to ynet
56 (rotter) dead ,500 wounded on the Israeli side . On the Palestinian side 163 dead and about 1200 wounded. 1500 rockets were launched , 421 were intercepted and 58 hit urban areas (88% interception not accounting to the fact not all areas were covered). On the Palestinian side about 1500 rockets were hit.
- As far as I understood the damage to Gaza is extensive. This operation had almost 10 times the air strikes compared to Cast Lead. I've heard on the news the situation in Gaza is so bad that it was hard for the people to buy food ( stores closed and prices were also raised) .
- In this operation the civilian population of Gaza was alert to IDF warnings which explain the relatively low number of civilian casualties compared to cast lead. One of the reasons that might have caused Cast Lead to be deadly was because Anat Kam stole the operational plans and the military compensated by using more fire power .
- Part of the agreement makes the Egyptians more responsible to what's going on in Gaza