Planetside 2 Catch-All

What's the advantage to buying the card instead of just buying the cash on the 21st?

groan wrote:

What's the advantage to buying the card instead of just buying the cash on the 21st?

Wal-mart cards have an extra 500 SC bonus on them so when you redeem them on the 21st you actually get and extra 1500 SC.

So walmart cards have an extra 500 while gamestop has an extra gun. Is the extra gun any good, cause otherwise I'll take more sc.

Also had a fun run today, but at a certain point I was really wishing I had some c4 for my light assault. Then I look it up on the cert tree. 200 certs to carry one c4 another 500 for two....
Not sure how functional that is really, as c4 also cost the same amount of resources as a max to buy.

Has anyone tried anti tank mines? I heard there pretty good against vehicles.

Bear wrote:
groan wrote:

What's the advantage to buying the card instead of just buying the cash on the 21st?

Wal-mart cards have an extra 500 SC bonus on them so when you redeem them on the 21st you actually get and extra 1500 SC.

Hopefully you get an extra 1500. The last time SOE did a triple Station Cash event I had the 500 Bonus tripled as well, but on every previous double Station Cash event I have participated in the bonus was not affected by the multiplier.

Basically, hope for the best but expect the worst because they've always stated that the Wal-Mart bonus wasn't intended to receive the multiplier, only the base 1500SC was to be considered in the math.

master0 wrote:

So walmart cards have an extra 500 while gamestop has an extra gun. Is the extra gun any good, cause otherwise I'll take more sc.

Also had a fun run today, but at a certain point I was really wishing I had some c4 for my light assault. Then I look it up on the cert tree. 200 certs to carry one c4 another 500 for two....
Not sure how functional that is really, as c4 also cost the same amount of resources as a max to buy.

Has anyone tried anti tank mines? I heard there pretty good against vehicles.

I finally got up to 200 and bought the Anti tank and Anti-Inf mines and did not realize you could only use one at a time AND it takes the ammo drop spot

master0 wrote:

Has anyone tried anti tank mines? I heard there pretty good against vehicles.

I can say that if you put one at the back of a magrider, it will blow up, it being the magrider (I was in the magrider at the time).

karmajay wrote:
master0 wrote:

So walmart cards have an extra 500 while gamestop has an extra gun. Is the extra gun any good, cause otherwise I'll take more sc.

Also had a fun run today, but at a certain point I was really wishing I had some c4 for my light assault. Then I look it up on the cert tree. 200 certs to carry one c4 another 500 for two....
Not sure how functional that is really, as c4 also cost the same amount of resources as a max to buy.

Has anyone tried anti tank mines? I heard there pretty good against vehicles.

I finally got up to 200 and bought the Anti tank and Anti-Inf mines and did not realize you could only use one at a time AND it takes the ammo drop spot :(

Found a neat trick, if you press b while holding a turret holo it turns into an ammo pack. Thus every engineer starts with two ammo packs so losing one is fine.

here a link to where I learned this: http://www.planetside-universe.com/showthread.php?t=51192

karmajay wrote:
master0 wrote:

So walmart cards have an extra 500 while gamestop has an extra gun. Is the extra gun any good, cause otherwise I'll take more sc.

Also had a fun run today, but at a certain point I was really wishing I had some c4 for my light assault. Then I look it up on the cert tree. 200 certs to carry one c4 another 500 for two....
Not sure how functional that is really, as c4 also cost the same amount of resources as a max to buy.

Has anyone tried anti tank mines? I heard there pretty good against vehicles.

I finally got up to 200 and bought the Anti tank and Anti-Inf mines and did not realize you could only use one at a time AND it takes the ammo drop spot :(

Select your turret, hit B and your ammo box is back!

After the hotfix tonight I was able to run a tank without the weird out of bounds bug. Which is nice.

master0 wrote:
karmajay wrote:
master0 wrote:

So walmart cards have an extra 500 while gamestop has an extra gun. Is the extra gun any good, cause otherwise I'll take more sc.

Also had a fun run today, but at a certain point I was really wishing I had some c4 for my light assault. Then I look it up on the cert tree. 200 certs to carry one c4 another 500 for two....
Not sure how functional that is really, as c4 also cost the same amount of resources as a max to buy.

Has anyone tried anti tank mines? I heard there pretty good against vehicles.

I finally got up to 200 and bought the Anti tank and Anti-Inf mines and did not realize you could only use one at a time AND it takes the ammo drop spot :(

Found a neat trick, if you press b while holding a turret holo it turns into an ammo pack. Thus every engineer starts with two ammo packs so losing one is fine.

here a link to where I learned this: http://www.planetside-universe.com/showthread.php?t=51192

That's cool guys, thanks!

Was in a Biolab fight tonight with almost the entire NC and Vanu pop inside. Not fun, Bio lab fights are already not fun, but cram 1000 people inside one and it just doesn't work. More gradual spawn control might work, but having it be all or nothing is fairly boring. Great way to rack up certs though.

Sorry I haven't been able to join you guys for much play with QD. Thanks for the re-invite to the platoon. I get in and start fighting then realize I don't have any of my toys!

Hard to break into a new faction when you don't have all the unlocks you paid for with SC!

i38warhawk wrote:

Was in a Biolab fight tonight with almost the entire NC and Vanu pop inside. Not fun, Bio lab fights are already not fun, but cram 1000 people inside one and it just doesn't work. More gradual spawn control might work, but having it be all or nothing is fairly boring. Great way to rack up certs though.

Biolabs are some of my favorite fights, but I play light assaults and the terrain in there is fantastic for them. That said it's true if it gets crowded it becomes a serious grind. I do wonder are the jump pads fairly new in them? Cause there great for launching counter attacks while playing defense. Overall all though I just love how they have so much verticality and so many points of attack.

We capped two continents last night within an hour or two of each other, which was neat. Actually, what happened is that an overwhelming TR force capped Esamir and an equally overwhelming NC force capped Amerish. Then all of the TR went to Amerish and all NC to Esamir. It was like two steamrollers passing in the night. Weird.

Experienced my first non-teamkill dick move last night. I was in a tank rocket-launcher(?)turret helping to take down base turrets during an assault. It takes about four rocket shots (or so) to destroy one. It took me one or two takedowns to realize that I would consistently fire the first three while the driver would just as consistently sit on his ass and wait to take the fourth shot to "earn" the XP for the kill. Thanks for reaffirming my faith in humanity, you jerk.

I like this game, but it sometimes feel less like a game than we're just doing whatever we can to earn the most certs per hour. It's strange having the metagame be so prevalent.

I don't like the automatic shotgun that much, it lacks control. You can absolutely shred one person at short range, but then you have to immediately reload and the next person gets you instead. When I bought my shottie I picked the 8-round semi auto version for a couple reasons. Slug rounds require careful aim, if you don't use sights and fire off 8 shots you tend to fire 8 shots that ALL miss the target by about 2 inches. Even at point blank range! The higher base cap also lets you carry 10 more ammo.

Hmm, I will have to trial some shotguns next time.

So I've built up almost 100 certs. For best bang for the buck for a heavy assault trooper, is it better to get a compensator or a forward grip? I already own a 2X Reflex sight.

maverickz wrote:

So I've built up almost 100 certs. For best bang for the buck for a heavy assault trooper, is it better to get a compensator or a forward grip? I already own a 2X Reflex sight.

Depends, what's your problem with the current setup, what are you trying to improve? Grip helps a lot with getting rounds on target, if that is not a problem for you, then you can probably pass on it for now. I will note that putting a forward grip on my HA's LMG helped a lot with burst accuracy when ADS, so I was pleased with it.

LtWarhound wrote:
maverickz wrote:

So I've built up almost 100 certs. For best bang for the buck for a heavy assault trooper, is it better to get a compensator or a forward grip? I already own a 2X Reflex sight.

Depends, what's your problem with the current setup, what are you trying to improve? Grip helps a lot with getting rounds on target, if that is not a problem for you, then you can probably pass on it for now. I will note that putting a forward grip on my HA's LMG helped a lot with burst accuracy when ADS, so I was pleased with it.

When I shoot the gun goes all over the place and I can't see my target. That's really the gist of the problem with my shooting. There are probably other areas to spend my 100 certs on, but I don't know what my prioritization should be. I've got the basic suit and utility upgrades, up to the 4 cert level.

Resist shields have changed the way I play HA. I've had a much easier time clearing room fulls of baddies. Also the best cert mentality is to pump certs into whatever you enjoy doing.

i38warhawk wrote:

Resist shields have changed the way I play HA. I've had a much easier time clearing room fulls of baddies. Also the best cert mentality is to pump certs into whatever you enjoy doing.

Hmm, well, I enjoy shooting people. But I also enjoy staying alive long enough to shoot people. So it's kind of a toss up.

maverickz wrote:
i38warhawk wrote:

Resist shields have changed the way I play HA. I've had a much easier time clearing room fulls of baddies. Also the best cert mentality is to pump certs into whatever you enjoy doing.

Hmm, well, I enjoy shooting people. But I also enjoy staying alive long enough to shoot people. So it's kind of a toss up. :)

This is why I hate NC tanks. More armor = longer TTK so they can deal out more damage as well. Being armor buffs, it seems NC always choose armor upgrades when buffing their tanks. I really hate MAX's! In stand-offs they are always backed by engineers so you can never kill them.

I had such a blast in a scythe tonight. This games gets much more fun when there's stuff to shoot at and there was a veritable air force in the skies from all three factions; as many people as you'd find in a medium size fight on the ground were in the air. That type of air combat is much more fun, when flying in empty skies, it's usually a game of who sees who first.
I kinda wish we just had big arenas rather than open continents. It would also be nice if the contours on the map had better contrast.

Got into this tonight after hearing the podcast wax rhapsodical about it the other week.

The game dropped me directly into a firefight where I literally had time to go, "Who, wha, where--" before somebody shot me. I was expecting some kind of load out screen or a base away from the front lines. Nope.

Died about three times in a row before I started seeing what this game was really about. I spent a little bit of time running around in a base defense as an engineer fixing busted turrets and avoiding sniper fire.

Tried out a jet. I flew towards an enemy base before realizing that I had no idea how to change altitude. I was hoping at least for a spectactular crash. But mostly I just sort of bumped along the ground like an amorous Harrier before somebody put me out of my misery. I saw at least 5 other people do this in the span of an hour.

Finally got in on a base attack. That's when things started to click. The whole thing was like a WW2 setpiece, with about thirty different people working their way up a boulder lined path. You jumped from boulder to boulder, laying down fire as you went. I finally picked up my first kill, which was probably as much luck as anything. He popped up over a ridge right where my rifle was pointing and caught a headshot. I'm sure he was pleased to see "Battle Rank 1" on the killscreen. I kind of wanted to send him an apology. "Sorry, that wasn't intentionally humiliating."

I also managed to drop right on top of a big dome. I believe it was a biolab? I look around and realize that I am right in the middle of enemy territory. I also realize that a sniper has made his way up there, and is so focused on scanning for targets that he didn't see the giant pod landing almost on top of him. He never even turned around when I unloaded on him. Seeing my Battle Rank 3 engineer was probably even more of a head scratcher in that situation. I then proceeded to rain fire down on everyone on the landing platform, who turned and ran away from the jump point to cover while never noticing me. I assume they were screaming about the approaching Vanu horde as they did so. I finally slid off the dome and landed directly in front of a firing squad. Spent the rest of the time helping retake the base. Cool 1000 XP for that.

All in all, not a bad first day for a soloing Vanu engineer. I think I need to learn how to fly. Does anyone know a good set of tutorial videos? The ones I've found so far have been poor or obnoxious.

This did not teach me how to fly. But it did make me giggle uncontrollably for ten minutes. And I'm not sure why.

kazooka wrote:

This did not teach me how to fly. But it did make me giggle uncontrollably for ten minutes. And I'm not sure why.

Please, everyone watch this; it really helped with some of the finer points of aircraft control. Should be part of the PS2 tutorial, for sure.

Spoiler:

Haven't laughed that hard in a while. Thanks, man.

Anyone else getting sniped by low-level heavies pulling headshots over 200m away? Either I really suck, or something's not right here. Either way, it's not fun.

PurEvil wrote:

Anyone else getting sniped by low-level heavies pulling headshots over 200m away? Either I really suck, or something's not right here. Either way, it's not fun.

Honestly, 200m isn't that far away. With a properly certed LMG or battle rifle, it's possible.

Low level is definitely a bit suspicious but if you are standing still then 200m is a fairly easy shot to make. Some guns like battle rifles are capable of mounting 6X scopes which puts them on par with sniper rifles in terms of single shot accuracy.

With all infantry weapons being 15% off today I decided to do some comparison testing of the MAX anti-infantry weapons. The NC Scattercannon is a shotgun. Not much more to say about it. Lacking hard stats I would estimate it to be quite similar to a regular semi-auto 6 shot infantry shotgun. The Vanu Quasar is basically a Beamer pistol with an extended mag if my damage testing is correct. The TR Cycler is a minigun, it doesn't fire as fast as you might think however. But still faster than the quasar.

In terms of accuracy all of the default weapons are the same. The max reticule is a dot and two curved lines forming a partial circle. This is the exact cone of fire for all base AI weapons. The quasar and the cycler hit over the entire reticule, this is more noticeable with the cycler because of the higher rof. The scattercannon is slightly different. The 6 shots always appear as a cluster that "splashes" over a particular point. This is different from a regular shotgun where the pellets can hit anywhere. This lack of accuracy makes it hard to engage people beyond a very short range. You can reach out to medium distances but you will waste a lot of shots. Movement doesn't seem to affect hip fire at all and max weapons have no sights.

The weapon variants all follow a specific pattern. You have the default, the increased accuracy version, the faster firing version and the extended mag version.

The only upgrade I would even consider for the scattercannon would be the Hacksaw. The simple fact that the hacksaw is automatic makes all of the other variants moot. With one click you can get a consistently high rate of fire. Because of the way MAX weapons work you have a weapon under LMB and RMB, it's very hard to click both buttons rapidly and also smoothly move the mouse around. I found that this makes it extremely hard to use dual scattercannons effectively, hence the improvement of the hacksaw.

I'm not very familiar with the Cycler so I can't comment on it much. Having used the Quasar for a couple weeks I managed to break down the variants a bit more:

- Quasar: The default, holds 50 shots, 350 reserve ammo and shoots at roughly 300rpm. The Quasar will take out un-upgraded infantry (500 shields, 500 health) in exactly 6 shots within 10m. Like I said earlier it's basically a Beamer pistol with more shots and worse hip fire. It seems to have higher damage per shot than the cycler but the low rate of fire makes it very ineffective if you only have one of them. Pair them together however and you have a monster combo that will murderize infantry in less than half a second at short range which puts it above most infantry weapons. Especially if you aim for the head because then you only need 3 hits instead of 6.

- Blueshift: This one is supposedly the "better accuracy" variant, but my testing says that it's actually worse! You gain about 10% firing speed and it reloads very fast, but you also lose a bit of accuracy and 10 rounds from the magazine cap. Avoid!

- Nebula: The faster firing variant. The nebula does 143 damage per shot compared to the quasar's 167. This means that it deals 1000 damage in 7 shots instead of 6. For the mathematical breakdown the weapon shoots 20% faster than the quasar and does 15% less damage per hit. This adds up to roughly 3% more damage over time. Same accuracy, ammo capacity and reload speed. This one really comes down to personal preference, but I found that a Nebula in one hand complements the Quasar in the other because the faster shots will "fill in the gaps" a bit more. The downside is that it burns through ammo very fast and since the guns need reloading at different rates you will always be cutting short one weapon to reload the other.

- Cosmos: The Cosmos is the extended magazine version of the Quasar. It's essentially the same weapon with a 75 shot capacity instead of 50 and it takes around 50% longer to reload. This also increases the amount of ammo you can carry in reserve to 525 instead of 350. However it also has a semi-hidden benefit in that the weapon is somewhat MORE accurate than the default Quasar! (and far more accurate than the cycler) This makes it the clear winner in my opinion. I'm thinking of buying a pair when the 3x station cash deal rolls around.

This morning it was a level 3 NC guy that took out my squad of 6-7 guys attacking the inside of one of the bases. Three shots and I was down... poppoppop dead, the rest of the crew didn't fair any better. I think I was the lowest at level 9.

A few mornings back it was a level 7 heavy standing halfway across a base sniping me. People were calling him out on it, but he kept saying we were just "hating" on him. I know that you can buy a long range scope for those guns, and I guess that the recoil and such can be mitigated by grip and whatever, but it still seems a bit off. This guy was level 5 or 6 the first time I saw him, and was around level 9 when I logged off 45 minutes later.

PurEvil wrote:

This morning it was a level 3 NC guy that took out my squad of 6-7 guys attacking the inside of one of the bases. Three shots and I was down... poppoppop dead, the rest of the crew didn't fair any better. I think I was the lowest at level 9.

A few mornings back it was a level 7 heavy standing halfway across a base sniping me. People were calling him out on it, but he kept saying we were just "hating" on him. I know that you can buy a long range scope for those guns, and I guess that the recoil and such can be mitigated by grip and whatever, but it still seems a bit off. This guy was level 5 or 6 the first time I saw him, and was around level 9 when I logged off 45 minutes later.

Yeah bit suspicious really, specially the whole low level bit. Wish there was a quick reporting system for it, although really I only had something like that come up for me once. I hit a guy twice with nades for no damage and his weapon sounded like it was shooting way to fast (like macro shots in cs). Otherwise they seem to be doing a good job of keeping them out.

Edit kind of meh on Waterson right now. Th TR are nearly 50% of the population overall. That means they swarm over two of the servers at once. Makes find a good fight hard. No I'm not gonna fight at the crown, stop asking map.

That being said I had a pretty cool moment when I was with a decent size Vanu air force when a large group of galaxies ships ran into us. Was fantastic, like christmas came early.