Planetside 2 Catch-All

Ariskany Evan wrote:

Anyone know what the blue icon that looks like a "document with a bullet list" is on the map? Haven't been able to figure that one out.

Those are ammo towers, for resupplying vehicles. At least I *think* that's the icon you mean...

Edit:Nevermind

Thanks for the insight!

This game definitely has me worried for when we're all old and forced to wear google glasses irl and an untold number of strange icons assaults us at all times.

Ariskany Evan wrote:

Thanks for the insight!

This game definitely has me worried for when we're all old and forced to wear google glasses irl and an untold number of strange icons assaults us at all times.

Ingress.

I use the minimap a lot to spot people, since their gunfire noise makes them show up on the map. This is particularly useful when you're flanking and trying to hunt for enemy infiltrators. They shoot and show up on your minimap when you're close, making them easier to find and flank (and knife in the back). I just have to remember not to rely on the minimap too much because of the suppressor thing. Suppressors are a tradeoff/sidegrade; they make you slightly less effective in a head-on fight, but they're way better if you're trying to flank (which I usually am).

I like to spam the 'Q' key a lot; among other things, you can get XP for doing it. The one exception is that you should *avoid* using it if you're trying to flank or sneak up on people; they'll hear you yelling and know you're there.

I did the "verify integrity of local files" thing in Steam this morning, and it downloaded 98 files missing or changed. I then played my first session where I was able to quit by logging out, not by crashing to desktop. Keeping my fingers crossed my crashing days are over?

FPS improvement update coming soon. Hopefully I won't have to use the /ini fixes that make my game look so bad.

John Smedley
‏@j_smedley
@Jippy we have a big frame rate improvement almost ready. The downside is it takes a new download
Jaegor wrote:
Tamron wrote:
Ariskany Evan wrote:

Anyone know what the blue icon that looks like a "document with a bullet list" is on the map? Haven't been able to figure that one out.

Those are ammo towers, for resupplying vehicles. At least I *think* that's the icon you mean... :)

Got it in one. They are different than the ones you see with a plane, which are for rearming air vehicles.

Engineer dropped ammo boxes don't usually show on the map I think. Would probably end up too cluttered.

They actually can show up, I've hunted them down as a heavy before. Heavies live and die by them. I think though they only show up when your out of ammo, not normally. Which is perfect.

Oh when I saw how many certs it would cost to get a gun with the nade launcher I felt depressed (500). It's gonna be a while. I estimate I can make about 30 an hour, so at least a days play.

Just applied to QD name PixelSynth.

All my friends picked TR and I can't shake the feeling that I'm fighting on the fascist side.

gewy wrote:

All my friends picked TR and I can't shake the feeling that I'm fighting on the fascist side. :(

You are. You definitely should have picked the lunatic alien-religion side like the rest of us.

Jaegor wrote:

Bought the AA Rocket Launcher for the heavy last night. Doesn't do much more than distract good pilots, but if they're focused on avoiding my rockets, they're not dominating the ground, so net positive I guess. Not the best way to grind certs though, that's for sure.

I don't know, I got a bunch of kills tonight at a never-ending fight at Eisa Tech Plant on Esamir on Waterson East.
But I was in a very target-rich environment.
BTW, speaking of Heavies living and dying by ammo boxes, there is also a cert that allows you to carry an additional rocket of any type!

1. Buy AMS Sunderer Cert.
2. Deploy same to aid the Endless Assault on The Crown (tm).
3. Profit!

After trying and failing to use an AMS without being obliterated within five seconds, I finally hit the Sunderer AMS jackpot. The little XP ding was happening about once per second for five minutes. Glorious.

If you're in the mood for NC, our own Docbadwrench runs Section 8, which is a small but extraordinarily friendly outfit on Connery.

This sucks. After listening to the podcast, I was really excited to try Planetside 2, but I can't get the framerate to be anything other than super chunky, even when I drop the graphics settings until it looks like a PS1 game. Doesn't look like I'll be joining you...or playing any modern PC games, for that matter. Maybe I'll check out Dust 514 when it's released.

I played a couple of hours of this, really excited to get into it. Sorry to fume about this if you're into the game, but there are several things that are just wrong:

1) I have no idea what to do and what's going on. Not being all about hand holding is good, but this is just disorienting. You just die and die and die and accomplish nothing (I think, I'm not sure). I could live with this - at least I can tell there's a big, big freaking battle going on. It's inspiring.

2) Technically it's just ugly. What is it that games below "high" settings look so crap these days? It runs well on "medium" on my system, and that's nowhere pretty enough. I don't want to spend hours looking at this when there are so much better alternatives. I remember a time when Far Cry looked ace on all settings (or is my memory playing tricks? I'm not sure).

3) Art direction wise this is the ugliest game I've seen in years. It's just... eugh. You could just about get away with this in the 90s, but how completely uninteresting everything looks (apart from the scale), it just totally kills my excitement. I didn't think boring looks would be enough to actually turn me off a game, but that just happened.

I was positively surprised at how well it runs and how good it feels, having read quite a bit of complaints online.

I agree with jlaakso's complaint about technical performance. I was forced to run the game on the lowest settings with my older graphics card, which didn't appear to help all that much. On top of looking like a callback to the year 2000, the game still stuttered so much as to be unplayable. As somebody who doesn't know coding that well, I had to wonder what extra stuff the game had running under the hood, because my old card could run other recent games reasonably well.

That said, the game does look pretty impressive on the highest settings. Explosions at night just look so pretty.

If you can't figure out who to shoot press "Q". If they show up as red then shoot them. Even if you don't kill them you get points for spotting.

PS2 is extremely demanding on the CPU. There's simply no way to put 2000 people on a continent shooting at each other and not have a massive processing load. If you hit "Alt F" a monitor will pop up in the lower left. This will tell you where your bottleneck is.

jlaakso wrote:

I played a couple of hours of this, really excited to get into it. Sorry to fume about this if you're into the game, but there are several things that are just wrong:

1) I have no idea what to do and what's going on. Not being all about hand holding is good, but this is just disorienting. You just die and die and die and accomplish nothing (I think, I'm not sure). I could live with this - at least I can tell there's a big, big freaking battle going on. It's inspiring.

2) Technically it's just ugly. What is it that games below "high" settings look so crap these days? It runs well on "medium" on my system, and that's nowhere pretty enough. I don't want to spend hours looking at this when there are so much better alternatives. I remember a time when Far Cry looked ace on all settings (or is my memory playing tricks? I'm not sure).

3) Art direction wise this is the ugliest game I've seen in years. It's just... eugh. You could just about get away with this in the 90s, but how completely uninteresting everything looks (apart from the scale), it just totally kills my excitement. I didn't think boring looks would be enough to actually turn me off a game, but that just happened.

I was positively surprised at how well it runs and how good it feels, having read quite a bit of complaints online.

Supposedly next week they've got some good performance improvements according to twitter.

I agree about the art design on characters being pretty bad. The world I like, the characters look like parodies of bad sci-fi.

Tamron wrote:
Ariskany Evan wrote:

Anyone know what the blue icon that looks like a "document with a bullet list" is on the map? Haven't been able to figure that one out.

Those are ammo towers, for resupplying vehicles. At least I *think* that's the icon you mean... :)

Got it in one. They are different than the ones you see with a plane, which are for rearming air vehicles.

Engineer dropped ammo boxes don't usually show on the map I think. Would probably end up too cluttered.

edit: They do, as the poster below says.

Coldstream wrote:
gewy wrote:

All my friends picked TR and I can't shake the feeling that I'm fighting on the fascist side. :(

You are. You definitely should have picked the lunatic alien-religion side like the rest of us. :D

Also, we look fabulous in purple!

Bear wrote:

PS2 is extremely demanding on the CPU. There's simply no way to put 2000 people on a continent shooting at each other and not have a massive processing load. If you hit "Alt F" a monitor will pop up in the lower left. This will tell you where your bottleneck is.

Agreed. I don't have a top of the line system, and I was having some major FPS issues. (early 2011 Macbook Pro, bootcamped into Windows 7, 2.2i7, AMD 6750M, 4GbRAM)

What really helped for me was unparking the CPU cores, and editing the UserOptions.ini, per this post:

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/i...

Biggest callout is the Render Distance, which is normally -1.000 (aka let the game decide) this is what causes people to blip in and out of view in large battles.

One of the more recent patches did help significantly without these fixes though.

[Rendering]
GraphicsQuality=1
TextureQuality=0
ShadowQuality=0
RenderDistance=1000
Gamma=0.000000
MaximumFPS=90
UseLod0a=0
OverallQuality=-1
LightingQuality=0
EffectsQuality=0
TerrainQuality=0
FloraQuality=0
ModelQuality=0
VerticalFOV=74
ParticleLOD=0
ParticleDistanceScale=0.650000
FogShadowsEnable=0
MotionBlur=0
VSync=0
AO=0

[Terrain]
RenderFlora=Off

combined with the below unparking utility (only useful for those with multiple cores), I got a standard 10-15 FPS increase across the board, giving me a very playable 30 FPS minimum in almost all situations, usually mid 40s when just running around.

http://www.coderbag.com/Uploads/Unpa...

Hope this helps.

Bear wrote:

If you can't figure out who to shoot press "Q". If they show up as red then shoot them. Even if you don't kill them you get points for spotting.

PS2 is extremely demanding on the CPU. There's simply no way to put 2000 people on a continent shooting at each other and not have a massive processing load. If you hit "Alt F" a monitor will pop up in the lower left. This will tell you where your bottleneck is.

bolded for truth

Deal of the day is : Left hand gun for Max AA - Burster for 350 SC

I am a little mad since I bought this a couple of days ago but there you have it. I will now save my SC now that I know deals of the day are going on.

https://twitter.com/PS2DailyDeals

This weekend is also a double XP weekend.

TempestBlayze wrote:

Deal of the day is : Left hand gun for Max AA - Burster for 350 SC

Thanks for posting that. I've been too busy to play this week but I'd been waiting to see if that exact item would go on sale so I could field an AA Max when needed.

Woo! Upcoming changes from the devs on AV/AA:

Lock on Rocket Launchers (AV and AA):
- Range Increase
- Faster reload time (to compensate for lock on time)
- Now require lock on to fire

Flak:
- Minor damage increase
- Projectile speed increase

A30 Walker:
- Buffed Damage
- Faster Projectile

Rocket Pods:
- Decrease to the inner explosion radius: 3m to 1.5m. This is the center of the rocket explosion where the maximum damage occurs, so this will not affect direct hits. Effectively this makes the damage falloff at the center of the rocket pod explosion start closer to the center.

Flak Armor:
- Increase maximum explosion resistance for certed Flak armor from 25% to 50%. This makes Flak armor a more viable choice over Nanoweave for soldiers being attacked with explosives.

Decimator:
- New Heavy Assault common pool rocket launcher. High-damage anti-vehicle weapon, has a slow projectile speed and no lock on, but does massive damage to vehicles and other armored targets.

That's probably going to make me stop using the AA as my default launcher. I was using it as a sniper rifle the other day, with solid effectiveness.

So I had joined Quantum Dawn in the hopes of playing with fellow GWJers. But having read the rules over there, specifically the 2 operations per month with sign ins and record keeping (among others), I realized that's a little too formal for my play opportunities and desires. But I do enjoy the game and would still like to play with GWJers. So I'd like to friend some of the people here in PS2 so I can join you all to play with, without having the responsibilities of an actual clan. My handle in game is MaverickZY on the Waterson server, Vanu, please by all means friend me and I will do the same.

Wow thats a huge nerf. I am already getting shot down like crazy and now that the burster is on sale more people will have those. Thought they would counter balance this somehow with a composite armor boost and or flare cooldown but it just looks so one sided. Not too happy. I guess te slower lock on time is alright. May have to upgrade stealth instead.

maverickz wrote:

So I had joined Quantum Dawn in the hopes of playing with fellow GWJers. But having read the rules over there, specifically the 2 operations per month with sign ins and record keeping (among others), I realized that's a little too formal for my play opportunities and desires. But I do enjoy the game and would still like to play with GWJers. So I'd like to friend some of the people here in PS2 so I can join you all to play with, without having the responsibilities of an actual clan. My handle in game is MaverickZY on the Waterson server, Vanu, please by all means friend me and I will do the same.

Yeah with a newborn here I can't be assured to devote that kind of time either, fret not Maverick! There's usually a few of us in the Planetside2 Vent channel, hop in there when you play and you can probably get a squad of 4 or 5 together.

Stylez wrote:
maverickz wrote:

So I had joined Quantum Dawn in the hopes of playing with fellow GWJers. But having read the rules over there, specifically the 2 operations per month with sign ins and record keeping (among others), I realized that's a little too formal for my play opportunities and desires. But I do enjoy the game and would still like to play with GWJers. So I'd like to friend some of the people here in PS2 so I can join you all to play with, without having the responsibilities of an actual clan. My handle in game is MaverickZY on the Waterson server, Vanu, please by all means friend me and I will do the same.

Yeah with a newborn here I can't be assured to devote that kind of time either, fret not Maverick! There's usually a few of us in the Planetside2 Vent channel, hop in there when you play and you can probably get a squad of 4 or 5 together.

That's exactly my issue! I've got a 5 month old who doesn't like to sleep. I will try that route then.

TempestBlayze wrote:

Wow thats a huge nerf. I am already getting shot down like crazy and now that the burster is on sale more people will have those. Thought they would counter balance this somehow with a composite armor boost and or flare cooldown but it just looks so one sided. Not too happy. I guess te slower lock on time is alright. May have to upgrade stealth instead.

Yeah I'm not too thrilled with the rocket nerf (since I spent SC on them...) Ah well, I hope I still will enjoy being a pilot in the game