Planetside 2 Catch-All

Yeah, this game desperately needs a proper tutorial. I think I've figured most if it out through trial and error, and by being in squads with experienced players. Of course, I still discover new things by accident, which usually gets me killed. For example, in one of my first firefights, I hit the 'B' key by mistake. Whoops.

I also learned that I should remap the "leave aircraft key" to something other than 'E'.

Yeah I think that sunderer trick will be patched out cause the whole go through shields ability is supposed to last only for a couple seconds. Personally I think they need to change it so you can't deploy sunderers inside shielded bases. Oh and they definitely should let infiltrators sabotage sunderers, say cause them to stop working for a minute or two.

Oh the floating carriers look freaking awesome, I'd love to fight on one of those. Oh thanks to whoever said their light assault gear with the grenade launcher. I was looking for that.

master0 wrote:

Yeah I think that sunderer trick will be patched out cause the whole go through shields ability is supposed to last only for a couple seconds. Personally I think they need to change it so you can't deploy sunderers inside shielded bases. Oh and they definitely should let infiltrators sabotage sunderers, say cause them to stop working for a minute or two.

Oh the floating carriers look freaking awesome, I'd love to fight on one of those. Oh thanks to whoever said their light assault gear with the grenade launcher. I was looking for that.

I'm pretty sure the shield piercing mod for the Sunderer is mutually exclusive with the deploy mod.

Redwing wrote:
master0 wrote:

Yeah I think that sunderer trick will be patched out cause the whole go through shields ability is supposed to last only for a couple seconds. Personally I think they need to change it so you can't deploy sunderers inside shielded bases. Oh and they definitely should let infiltrators sabotage sunderers, say cause them to stop working for a minute or two.

Oh the floating carriers look freaking awesome, I'd love to fight on one of those. Oh thanks to whoever said their light assault gear with the grenade launcher. I was looking for that.

I'm pretty sure the shield piercing mod for the Sunderer is mutually exclusive with the deploy mod.

It is but if you noticed in the beginning of the video he turned on the shield blocker. It's only suppose to let you through a shield for a couple seconds. My guess is that it you need it only to get in, while exiting a base doesn't require it.

So I have my 1-point armor certs and my vehicle ammo and 1.25x zoom certs; I have my Sunderer AMS cert. I understand stock weapon scopes are next on the list. What do you guys prefer? Reflex ones were recommended up thread, though not sure if 1x or 2x are recommended. And I understand the 3.4x non-laser is the way to go for longer-range work. It's a shame you can't preview these things like you can preview weapons.

I have two for my medic's rifle: I've got the outline 1x scope (Which is murderously useful in massive hall-to-hall), and a 3.4x non-laser that I used in wide-open fights at medium range. I am quite happy with both, though I could definitely use the foregrip for the 3.4x. (Or the burst rifle.)

Archangel wrote:

So I have my 1-point armor certs and my vehicle ammo and 1.25x zoom certs; I have my Sunderer AMS cert. I understand stock weapon scopes are next on the list. What do you guys prefer? Reflex ones were recommended up thread, though not sure if 1x or 2x are recommended. And I understand the 3.4x non-laser is the way to go for longer-range work. It's a shame you can't preview these things like you can preview weapons.

There was a video a bit back, with all the scopes previewed. I use the vanu reflex scope which is nice as it's a hologram scope, which gives you a lot more peripheral view.

Also
IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/P3piR.jpg)

Coldstream wrote:
Jaegor wrote:

Also, these three videos about capturing the major bases cleared up a lot of confusion for me. Very very helpful info not provided by the tutorial.

Great information, presented in possibly the most annoying way possible.

Yeah, those were pretty helpful, almost in spite of themselves

Coldstream wrote:
Jaegor wrote:

Also, these three videos about capturing the major bases cleared up a lot of confusion for me. Very very helpful info not provided by the tutorial.

Great information, presented in possibly the most annoying way possible.

He could have made his points so much more succinctly. But yes, great information. I can't imagine what made SOE forget mentioning these things in its tutorial videos.

Has anyone else been having this issue. My gun won't go full auto sometimes. I click down and it will fire one bullet and that's. Other times it works fine. It's really random and I'm wondering if it's my mouse or the game. I think whatever the last update was, wasn't very great for stability.

Still had a fun run in a tank as a gunner. By sheer luck I found someone who really know how to pilot it and had the lasercannon. Very fun weapon. Just wish my mouse clicking worked more normal.

master0 wrote:

Has anyone else been having this issue. My gun won't go full auto sometimes. I click down and it will fire one bullet and that's. Other times it works fine. It's really random and I'm wondering if it's my mouse or the game. I think whatever the last update was, wasn't very great for stability.

You probably hit B on accident.

master0 wrote:

Also
random comic about the Crown

Nothing good ever happens at the Crown..

Datyedyeguy wrote:

So I gave this a fair shake yesterday and I gotta say the lack of feedback is very disorienting. Tried to play Infiltrator/sniper and was attempting to shoot some guys from far out, but I had no feedback on whether or not I was hitting them and if I was missing where my shots were going. If they're running it seems like one needs to lead the shot a bit but again I can't if I'm hitting or not.

And I still don't get capturing buildings and such. I get that some bases have a hub room where some people can sit to build a meter, but not all buildings have this. I remember this one from last night where I could tell via the icons that it wasn't our building so I went in to try to capture it, but couldn't find any hub room to capture it with. Is it just accessory to a nearby main base? Not clear at all.

Anytime you make a hit that damages anything, a red x or a bigger red x with an expanding red circle (I think that means headshot) will come up. This is why when you shoot a vehicle with an infantry weapon nothing happens or why you don't get friendly fire warnings when inside a continent's energy dome.

It took me a couple of weeks to figure out the geometry of buildings, but it will come to you eventually, then you start to figure out how the designers think and you can find stuff in unfamiliar buildings. I still have a hard time finding infantry terminals because of the minimap though.

Bigger version
OMG, I both drooled and wept at this magnificent vision.

So, who finds air combat best on Amerish and open field combat with infantry and tanks best on Esamir (except The Pit, obviously)?

Mayfield wrote:
master0 wrote:

Also
random comic about the Crown

Nothing good ever happens at the Crown..

Dude, I love fighting at the crown, it was the first time on Indar I actually got a big three way battle. It's the best place on Indar. Map-wise, it's also essential if you want to conquer the continent.

groan wrote:

Anyone playing TR on Waterson? Our group is pretty small and we are having a problem getting decent full squads. the add-ons are always silent with the odd exception.

I am

Archangel wrote:

I understand stock weapon scopes are next on the list. What do you guys prefer? Reflex ones were recommended up thread, though not sure if 1x or 2x are recommended. And I understand the 3.4x non-laser is the way to go for longer-range work.

Reflex 1x might be slightly better for indoor firefights. However, I prefer the Reflex 2x sight because it's still pretty good at short range, and it GREATLY increases my effectiveness at medium range.

I like the reflex 2x a lot but not all guns can mount it. As soon as you figure out your "favourite" gun cert up all the scopes for it and try them out. It's really down to personal preference.

I'm really starting to despise how the infrared scope has a black crosshair though. It's good for scouting but I can't hit anything with it.

Coldstream wrote:
Jaegor wrote:

Also, these three videos about capturing the major bases cleared up a lot of confusion for me. Very very helpful info not provided by the tutorial.

Great information, presented in possibly the most annoying way possible.

I couldn't stand watching him any longer... made it about 6 minutes into the first video.

For pilots who are curious about the optics: After purchasing both the Infrared Optics (50 certs) and the Thermal Optics (200 certs) there really is not much of a difference to warrant a 150 cert point difference.

Thermal reminds me of the old INRV scope where anything that could hurt a player showed up as bright red.

I came across this site and it contains a wealth of information.
The newbie guides are awesome for newbs and olds alike. They include so many good suggestions and common sense stuff that just needs to be said to make you realize "oh ya! why didn't i think of that?"

http://blackrabbit2999.blogspot.com/...
He has a ton of guides on this site, see at the bottom.

I hope to read through a bunch of them.

TempestBlayze wrote:

For pilots who are curious about the optics: After purchasing both the Infrared Optics (50 certs) and the Thermal Optics (200 certs) there really is not much of a difference to warrant a 150 cert point difference.

Is the vision range the same? I think the thermals have higher contrast. If you use infrared during the day everything tends to look too bring to pick out infantry easily. Especially foliage.

The Infared range is actually a little bit futher but yes, the contrast is better with thermal.

Also, all the pilots just winced:

John Smedley
‏@j_smedley
New weapons coming Thursday. Next week awesome new anti vehicle ( including anti air you rocket pod haters) weapon
Luke Bartley ‏@SLBartley
@j_smedley Tomorrow Thursday, or another Thursday in the distant future?
Details
2h John Smedley ‏@j_smedley
@SLBartley tomorrow Thursday we have new weapons. New sniper and carbines. Next week anti vehicle
Details
2h Hamma ‏@CDLHamma
@j_smedley man, there is already an excess of AA
Details
2h Matt swift ‏@Swiftysquaddie
@CDLHamma @j_smedley indeed, we have enough issues as is staying in the air with the near constant lock ons
Details
2h John Smedley ‏@j_smedley
@Swiftysquaddie @cdlhamma not to worry. This stuff is balanced. I'm a pilot myself.
Details
2h Hamma ‏@CDLHamma
@j_smedley @Swiftysquaddie is it more lockon stuff?
Details
2h John Smedley ‏@j_smedley
@CDLHamma oh don't worry. Balance will be sustained.

I have a really really stupid newbie question. When I play, I have no idea who to shoot. I'm on the Vanu faction, with Quantum Dawn since that's where the GWJers apparently play, and when I'm playing there are Green, Purple, and Red triangles above people's heads. Some have no triangles. I've figured out that Red triangles means enemy. What's the difference between Green and Purple? How do I tell enemy from friend? I've tried to research this, without much luck.

Red is always enemy. If you see purple, green yellow etc it's other squads in your platoon. In QD case last night we had three platoons going. Those colors also show up with the person number on the minimap.

If any of you joined QD say hello in the GWJ thread

Shinjorai said we are flooding him with GWJ people

TempestBlayze wrote:

Red is always enemy. If you see purple, green yellow etc it's other squads in your platoon. In QD case last night we had three platoons going. Those colors also show up with the person number on the minimap.

Got it, so only shoot the reds.

TempestBlayze wrote:

The Infared range is actually a little bit futher but yes, the contrast is better with thermal.

Also, all the pilots just winced:

John Smedley
‏@j_smedley
New weapons coming Thursday. Next week awesome new anti vehicle ( including anti air you rocket pod haters) weapon
Luke Bartley ‏@SLBartley
@j_smedley Tomorrow Thursday, or another Thursday in the distant future?
Details
2h John Smedley ‏@j_smedley
@SLBartley tomorrow Thursday we have new weapons. New sniper and carbines. Next week anti vehicle
Details
2h Hamma ‏@CDLHamma
@j_smedley man, there is already an excess of AA
Details
2h Matt swift ‏@Swiftysquaddie
@CDLHamma @j_smedley indeed, we have enough issues as is staying in the air with the near constant lock ons
Details
2h John Smedley ‏@j_smedley
@Swiftysquaddie @cdlhamma not to worry. This stuff is balanced. I'm a pilot myself.
Details
2h Hamma ‏@CDLHamma
@j_smedley @Swiftysquaddie is it more lockon stuff?
Details
2h John Smedley ‏@j_smedley
@CDLHamma oh don't worry. Balance will be sustained.

Information that would have been useful last night :/

Bought the AA Rocket Launcher for the heavy last night. Doesn't do much more than distract good pilots, but if they're focused on avoiding my rockets, they're not dominating the ground, so net positive I guess. Not the best way to grind certs though, that's for sure.

My favorite class is still LA. Cleared out a couple nests of NC by myself. Suppressor really screws with people, since they don't get the reference on where you may be. I also made the mistake of jetting to the top of a tower under bombardment by our own tanks. Oops.

maverickz wrote:

I have a really really stupid newbie question. When I play, I have no idea who to shoot. I'm on the Vanu faction, with Quantum Dawn since that's where the GWJers apparently play, and when I'm playing there are Green, Purple, and Red triangles above people's heads. Some have no triangles. I've figured out that Red triangles means enemy. What's the difference between Green and Purple? How do I tell enemy from friend? I've tried to research this, without much luck.

Q is your friend here, it's the button to Spot which will put one of them nice colored triangles above peoples heads. Theres no cool down so feel free to hammer that button. Small word of warning, when you spot someone your character says so out loud. Each fraction uses a different voice and everyone close to you can hear it. I've found and killed infiltrators who where spotting close to me by following their voice. =P

Anyone know what the blue icon that looks like a "document with a bullet list" is on the map? Haven't been able to figure that one out.

Ariskany Evan wrote:

Anyone know what the blue icon that looks like a "document with a bullet list" is on the map? Haven't been able to figure that one out.

I think that's an ammo drop dropped by Engineers, but I could be wrong.