Wii U Catch-All

They are pre-owned, same chain I got the console from...

Cexy Wii U game prices

Come with guarantee though.

There are a few that creep up to £12/£15 and BotW is £28, but yeah majority are £10, if not under... Lego City £6 for example.

Edit. Ooh, Bayonetta 2 for a fiver. Nope, stop, it's for the boy!

Actually we have an old portable CRT TV in the shed, from my student days. I think it still works, maybe I will keep those VC games on the Wii and set it up in the office

Re-reading I didn't actually see an ask for recommendations...but
Since ya got a kid, I think the Metroid games in Nintendoland are really really good, in fact most of the games on there are pretty good.
The 2d Mario + Luigi DLC should be costing less since it's getting released on Switch.
Bayonetta 2 is only on Wii U.
Star Fox Zero is fun!
Super Mario Maker is probably a must buy.

We got a lot of fun from Nintendo Land. So too, Wii Party U. And, Affordable Space Adventures, was a great co-op experience. I think it may even offer three or four player.

Such good memories with the Wii U.

Warriorpoet897 wrote:

Keep in mind that Wii’s emulation of NES and N64 games is much better than the Wii U’s. I actually left my VC games on my Wii for that reason.

Can you explain that? I never noticed a difference after moving my stuff from Wii to Wii U.

RnRClown wrote:

Affordable Space Adventures, was a great co-op experience. I think it may even offer three or four player.

I think I might actually have the Humble key for this from an old Nintendo Bundle.

RolandofGilead wrote:

Re-reading I didn't actually see an ask for recommendations...but
Since ya got a kid, I think the Metroid games in Nintendoland are really really good, in fact most of the games on there are pretty good.
The 2d Mario + Luigi DLC should be costing less since it's getting released on Switch.
Bayonetta 2 is only on Wii U.
Star Fox Zero is fun!
Super Mario Maker is probably a must buy.

I was on the fence about getting a Wii U for a long time so have kept an eye on the first party stuff over time, so know what's around big hitter wise, but yeah the less obvious hidden gems be very keen to hear about thanks.

Nintendoland wasn't on the radar to pick up but I think it's about £5 now pre-owned so will pick up and can give it a try.

I'm heading into town today, because I know there's a copy of BotW in Cex and want to be sure of picking it up at a decent price before bday. I'll see what else they've got in.

Oh and Mario Maker, he has the 2ds version - worth the double dip?

Blind_Evil wrote:
Warriorpoet897 wrote:

Keep in mind that Wii’s emulation of NES and N64 games is much better than the Wii U’s. I actually left my VC games on my Wii for that reason.

Can you explain that? I never noticed a difference after moving my stuff from Wii to Wii U.

The Wii U VC is darker and muddier and had a weird washed out look on NES games apparently due to some sort of anti aliasing you can’t turn off. There’s also noticeable input lag on N64 games.

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/HxmVBMv_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium)

Breath of the Wild, Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 purchased. That'll do for the Bday.

All for under £50, job done...

...until Christmas.

Bubblefuzz wrote:

Breath of the Wild, Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 purchased. That'll do for the Bday.

All for under £50, job done...

...until Christmas.

Hehe I too have a birthday near Christmas.
Now that I read all this though, I think he's got enough videogames without Super Mario Maker. I dunno, I was always entertaining myself.

But if he likes being imaginative and creative (as opposed to being more action-oriented), Super Mario Maker is worth the double dip because only then can he make levels.

LEGOs are expensive last time I checked but an amazing creative outlet, I was basically making my own toys after putting them together according to the instructions the first time, looking over it appreciatively, then tearing it down.

Well, I might get him Lego City: Undercover on the Wii U and a physical Lego City set to go with it. How's that?

To be fair we're pretty good at balancing video games with off screen stuff. Crates of lego dominate a corner of our living room, much of which is 80's stuff passed down from the partner of a friend. We did manage to keep a big Sensei Wu dragon intact on a shelf for over a year, but even that has been scrapped and incorporated into the boxes of random now.

Purchasing and playing board games mainly to encourage non screen family time has actually led to me getting into tabletop gaming in a fairly big way myself, to a point where it's almost on a par with the video games as a pastime at the moment. So yeah Christmas gaming pressies are on the cards, just mainly of the non screen kind. My own Christmas wishlist to my family basically read "board games" along with "a watch that doesn't read my heart rate, doesn't tell me how many steps I've taken or calories burned, or how many minutes I've been active that day, or how good a sleeps I've had etc etc... but is just a watch, with at most a stopwatch / timer incorporated, just so I don't have to look at my phone every time I want to tell the time. Pretty sure the watch is happening, I moan about it enough* Yay!

*Oh dear, I've done it again, in a Wii U thread, oops. Apologies.

Back on track... Today it's test the Wii U time and see what needs doing to have it be a quick plug in and play come birthday morning.

I just bought a game on the Wii U Nintendo E shop, Pikmin 3.

It was cheaper than buying a physical copy I actually prefer The convenience of digital.

What is everyone’s bet for when the Nintendo E shop for Wii U will close down?

Let’s see, was 13 years for the Wii version.. subtract a year or two because WiiU was so much less successful...

I’ll say December 31, 2023.

I'll say within the first year that the next Nintendo console will be out.

The NES remix games are some of the best bite sized gaming experiences I have ever had in my life.

WE+e talking a next nintendo console already? The switch is still new

They’re not. They’re talking about when the Wii U eShop might be shut down.

steinkrug wrote:

They’re not. They’re talking about when the Wii U eShop might be shut down.

ohhhhhh my my bad!!!!
I have been wondering the same.
It is a shame.... I relly enjoy the WiiU. I had it there gathering dust for quite a while.... and finally my wife, son and myself had a BLAST with it.

Darkhaund wrote:
steinkrug wrote:

They’re not. They’re talking about when the Wii U eShop might be shut down.

ohhhhhh my my bad!!!!
I have been wondering the same.
It is a shame.... I relly enjoy the WiiU. I had it there gathering dust for quite a while.... and finally my wife, son and myself had a BLAST with it.

What have you been playing?

jrralls wrote:
Darkhaund wrote:
steinkrug wrote:

They’re not. They’re talking about when the Wii U eShop might be shut down.

ohhhhhh my my bad!!!!
I have been wondering the same.
It is a shame.... I relly enjoy the WiiU. I had it there gathering dust for quite a while.... and finally my wife, son and myself had a BLAST with it.

What have you been playing?

Played and finished

Super Mario 3D World
New Super Mario Bros U and Super Luigi U
Yoshis Wolly World
Captain Toad treasure tracker
Mario party 10
Pikmin
Paper Mario Color Splash
Poken Tournament
Super Smash Bros WiiU
Mario Tenis
Mario Kart 8
Rayman Legends

Excellent games for the family

The WiiU really was fantastic for families.

Dolphin is an excellent way to play or replay those old classics, btw, frequently better than on the original hardware. I don't think PC drives can read the discs without modification, but I personally see no moral quandary with buying a disc and then downloading the ROM for it. I'm sure Nintendo disagrees, however.

Getting the Wiimotes working can be a little tricky; some Bluetooth adapters work well, others not so much. If you have a bad one, or don't have one at all, the Dolphinbar USB device includes a special mini-Bluetooth stack that works nicely with any version of Windows, and has the little IR lights for the pointer function. From there, you just have to find an actual Wiimote or two, and off you go.

Oh, you also need a fairly fast PC and a decent graphic card, but I bet almost everyone here has a machine that will run it fine.

My iPhone is my PC

I’d take that bet.

Malor wrote:

Dolphin is an excellent way to play or replay those old classics, btw, frequently better than on the original hardware. I don't think PC drives can read the discs without modification, but I personally see no moral quandary with buying a disc and then downloading the ROM for it. I'm sure Nintendo disagrees, however.

Thanks! I forgot that existed. Our Wii U died recently. I'll have to give Dolphin a try.

Blind_Evil wrote:

My iPhone is my PC

I’d take that bet.

That's why I said 'almost everyone', because surely there would be a few people lurking in the woodwork without one.

Dolphin is fantastic software. For a long time, it was prone to slight hitching and freezing when showing a new effect for a given game for the first time, because it would have to build and compile a shader for that effect. This could take as long as a half-second if it was really beefy. It would cache shaders to disk between runs, so that it didn't keep happening, but it was still annoying.

A couple years back, some brilliant person wrote the Ubershader, which can do anything that either the Gamecube or Wii can. But because it's so generalized and complex, it's not super-efficient, so you need a seriously beefy video card to use Ubershaders all the time. (my 970 isn't quite strong enough, for instance.)

So what they do now is a hybrid approach; when they see a new shader for the first time, they hand it to the Ubershader, and start compiling an optimized version. Then, when it's done, they start calling the dedicated shader instead, so that the Ubershader is usually rendering no more than one or two effects on any given frame. Upshot: no hitches, smooth gameplay all the time, incredible song and dance behind the scenes to make that happen.

The program as a whole is one seriously impressive piece of software engineering.