Wii U Catch-All

Apparently I put this on my Amazon wish list back when it was first announced, because my parents decided to splurge and get me a shiny black Deluxe Edition. Dad did ask for my old Wii, but I'm more than happy to let him have it. Checking out the web browser now. It seems to be working well. The Post a Picture thread is particularly nice on the big TV.

I'm definitely going to miss having a spell check function. Auto-complete will help some though.

So because my girlfriend and her parents are the most awesome people on Earth (yes, more awesome than anyone you can name), I just got a shiny new WiiU Deluxe Set for Christmas! Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to do too much with it tonight. The initial firmware update took almost exactly an hour on my 28MBit cable connection and I was going to start the Wii Transfer Tool but it appears that both the Wii Store and eShop are getting slammed as I keep randomly getting network errors when trying to browser either. It happens on my 3DS too so I know it's not on my end. Nintendo, Christmas Day is not when you don't want to have enough server capacity. Call Akamai or AWS and throw money at this problem, seriously. Haven't tried Nintendo Land yet but even better, EB Games is having a Boxing Week sale in Canada and ZombiU will be 30% off tomorrow! My girlfriend is actually going out in the insanity to get some new clothes and she's offered to pick it up for me. Can't wait to dig into that!

Parallax Abstraction wrote:

So because my girlfriend and her parents are the most awesome people on Earth (yes, more awesome than anyone you can name), I just got a shiny new WiiU Deluxe Set for Christmas! Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to do too much with it tonight. The initial firmware update took almost exactly an hour on my 28MBit cable connection and I was going to start the Wii Transfer Tool but it appears that both the Wii Store and eShop are getting slammed as I keep randomly getting network errors when trying to browser either. It happens on my 3DS too so I know it's not on my end. Nintendo, Christmas Day is not when you don't want to have enough server capacity. Call Akamai or AWS and throw money at this problem, seriously. Haven't tried Nintendo Land yet but even better, EB Games is having a Boxing Week sale in Canada and ZombiU will be 30% off tomorrow! My girlfriend is actually going out in the insanity to get some new clothes and she's offered to pick it up for me. Can't wait to dig into that!

Congratulations! That's awesome.

The server issue is something I've always wondered about. Is it possible to just add more servers during high demand periods, and then scale back when you no longer need them? Or does a company have fixed server capacity and has to just ride it out, banking on the fact that the load on the system will settle down eventually?

P.S. Girlfriend sounds like a keeper.

gamerparent wrote:

P.S. Girlfriend sounds like a keeper.

Yeah, my then-girlfriend/now-wife got me a launch Xbox for Christmas back in 2001.

I took it as a sign that she was a keeper. :p

gamerparent wrote:

The server issue is something I've always wondered about. Is it possible to just add more servers during high demand periods, and then scale back when you no longer need them? Or does a company have fixed server capacity and has to just ride it out, banking on the fact that the load on the system will settle down eventually?

It all depends how their network is designed. If it was built was scalability in mind, they can just call a virtual hosting provider and add more servers and bandwidth or better yet, have a system that does it automatically. Either that didn't work yesterday or more likely, Nintendo's network isn't setup that way because they're still pretty green at online systems. The good news is that the eShop seems to be running great this morning so it looks like they either sorted it or demand slowed for now. Grabbing Nano Assault Neo before I start my Wii transfer.

P.S. Girlfriend sounds like a keeper.

Multiple people have said that. I tend to agree.

Well the Wii U was a hit yesterday, but was trumped for a while by the Snoopy Snow Cone Machine. Any reservations I had about the machine were put to rest when my daughter and I played NSMB and then my wife joined in using the game pad.

My network ID id is Jucofett.

Here's a pro tip for getting the most out of your new machine: don't leave the charging cable for the pad 150 miles away at your future mother-in-law's house. The system is a lot less fun when you do that.

spider_j wrote:

Right. £140 in cash, £60 in vouchers, £7 in loyalty credit, and whatever I get for BLOPS 2 on exchange. I reckon I still need £100 for the deluxe box, ZombieU and Mario.

Self quote for the fact that a £100 cash gift was bestowed upon me today, so, tomorrow, a-hunting I shall go!

Parallax Abstraction wrote:

The initial firmware update took almost exactly an hour on my 28Mbit connection...

So, on my rural 1.2MBit connection, mine should finish (+5, carry the 1) by the time the XBox 720 launches!

So is Nintendo TVii supposed to actually control the DirectTV box or just tell me what channel something's on?

So, I haven't looked into this in any detail, but how can Nintendo be granted a patent on the use of the WiiU gamepad in ways that have already been done by others?

Also, how long until a co-op tank/mech game with one screen on movement and the other on the guns?

Wii U Deluxe acquired by my amazing wife who managed to go wait in line back on launch day and buy it for me for Christmas without me knowing. If you knew my wife, that would probably blow your mind (I'm not sure I've seen her out of bed before noon on a Sunday).

So anyway, I need some Mii friends now. NSMB looks gorgeous and I never realized how much I wanted an HD mario game until now. Also, Nintendo Land was a huge hit Christmas night even though three of us had the flu. Go Nintendo.

Vargen wrote:

So is Nintendo TVii supposed to actually control the DirectTV box or just tell me what channel something's on?

The Wii U gamepad sends out the IR signals to automatically "type in" the channel number and change the channel when you select a program in the TVii app. At least it does on my Uverse IPTV box and on my friend's Comcast cable box. It also asks if your TV source is currently set correctly and cycles through the source list each time you say it is not.

If your Gamepad is able to turn your DirectTV box on and off, but not change channels, then it might be currently programmed using a remote code that is only partially compatible. There have been so many DirectTV receivers over the years that I could see the power on/off function working even if it is currently using the wrong DirectTV code. You could try going through the TV remote setup again and trying a different "signal type" for your box. Alternatively, if you have a newer box, Nintendo simply might not have fully compatible codes in their systems yet.

I'm waiting to see if the update that enables Netflix and Tivo also activates the ability to search and access programming on my Uverse DVR. The way it currently lets you queue up an upcoming program certainly seems to be designed to allow you to set DVR recordings in a future update, but they have been very quiet about whether this will work with non-Tivo hardware.

Bought the Premium Pack today. It only took 1 hour 33 minutes to update, which was a pleasent surprise. My game list is Mario, Zombie U and, of course, Nintendo Land. The only major launch title that I don't own elsewhere and that interests me (a little bit) is Assassins's Creed 3.

Edit: my username is tanaraq.

I haven't tested it with turning the DirecTV box on or off... It's my parents' setup and I think the thing just stays on so the DVR can do its thing.

Vargen wrote:

I haven't tested it with turning the DirecTV box on or off... It's my parents' setup and I think the thing just stays on so the DVR can do its thing.

Yeah, my Uverse DVR works the same way, powering it on and off actually switches it to standby/screensaver.

Here is a quick check to see if the TV remote setup has been correctly completed on your Gamepad. When you hit the physical "TV" button on the Gamepad and the TV Remote screen pops up there should be a number pad. If you can change channels on the DirectTV box with that number pad, then it should be set up correctly. If the number pad changes the TV's internal tuner channel instead then it sounds like the TV is setup, but the DirectTV box isn't. If the number pad doesn't do anything or simply doesn't appear, then it sounds like either that particular box isn't supported or the TV remote setup wasn't completed for your DirectTV box.

EDIT so I don't double post:

Today I noticed that since launch they have added the Rayman demo to the eShop. My daughter and I traded off using the Wiimote and Gamepad as we replayed the first demo level over and over to find all of the little bugs (whatever they're called).

Wow, the cooperative use of the gamepad in Rayman blows Mario's coop platform drawing out of the water. At least in the demo levels, being the flying helper frog is actually interesting and fun and provides a very interesting cooperative experience. The game also looks and sounds great.

Warriorpoet897 wrote:

Wii U Deluxe acquired by my amazing wife who managed to go wait in line back on launch day and buy it for me for Christmas without me knowing. If you knew my wife, that would probably blow your mind (I'm not sure I've seen her out of bed before noon on a Sunday).

So anyway, I need some Mii friends now. NSMB looks gorgeous and I never realized how much I wanted an HD mario game until now. Also, Nintendo Land was a huge hit Christmas night even though three of us had the flu. Go Nintendo.

What's your Nintendo Network ID?

gamerparent wrote:

What's your Nintendo Network ID?

Probably should have mentioned that. Warriorpoet897

I used my Xmas gift cards to pick up ZombieU last night... Oh my god, this game is evil. Rats keep scaring the hell out of me with the radar, the environment is so creepy and perfectly done: it completely feels like the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse. The game is pretty hard so far, though. Twice I have had situations when I get a suggestion to run, but the door behind me is closed, or there is a fence there, so the only places I can run are right into the arms of a handful of zombies. After getting killed with most of my gear far away and an attack coming at the "safe" room, I had to delete my save file, because there was no hope left. Maybe I just suck at this.

Has anyone had any recent trouble with their U losing connection to MiiVerse but the connection test showing it's connecting to the Internet without trouble? Last few times we've booted the U it's just showing us generic Nintendo Miis in the plaza, and not the ones pulled in from MiiVerse hanging around icons of the games currently being played.

shoptroll wrote:

Has anyone had any recent trouble with their U losing connection to MiiVerse but the connection test showing it's connecting to the Internet without trouble? Last few times we've booted the U it's just showing us generic Nintendo Miis in the plaza, and not the ones pulled in from MiiVerse hanging around icons of the games currently being played.

I had this problem during the release week and assume it was due to load since everyone was buying a WiiU. I'm guessing with the Christmas holiday you're seeing the same thing again as folks plug in their new systems and clog the system up a bit.

I wrote a ranty blog post about my experiences doing a Wii->WiiU transfer.

Yes, I know I'm a minority case but I don't care. This process was stupid and unnecessary.

Parallax Abstraction wrote:

I wrote a ranty blog post about my experiences doing a Wii->WiiU transfer.

Yes, I know I'm a minority case but I don't care. This process was stupid and unnecessary.

Reading your experience makes me glad I decided not to transfer anything over. Which kind of sucks for games in progress, like Skyward Sword and Xenoblade, but I'm hoping that the process will get fine tuned someday. My ideal would be to only transfer game saves and leave the Wiiware and VC stuff on the Wii.

Parallax Abstraction wrote:

I wrote a ranty blog post about my experiences doing a Wii->WiiU transfer.

Yes, I know I'm a minority case but I don't care. This process was stupid and unnecessary.

Of course you did. I followed it in real time on Twitter

SpyNavy wrote:
Parallax Abstraction wrote:

I wrote a ranty blog post about my experiences doing a Wii->WiiU transfer.

Yes, I know I'm a minority case but I don't care. This process was stupid and unnecessary.

Of course you did. I followed it in real time on Twitter :)

I make no apologies for my Twitter feed. Anyone who don't like it knows what to do. The blog post breaks out the nightmare in greater detail and shows examples of how it's done right and why Nintendo has no excuse for it being this way. I really like the WiiU, I really want to see it do well but this is not how you embrace the inevitable all-digital future.

I wish, no I demand Nintendo and Namco resurrect Pacman Vs for the Wii U. It was a blast on the Gamecube, and it seems like a no brainer for the Wii U (thanks to Captain Obvious). It must be done.

Nimcosi wrote:

I wish, no I demand Nintendo and Namco resurrect Pacman Vs for the Wii U. It was a blast on the Gamecube, and it seems like a no brainer for the Wii U (thanks to Captain Obvious). It must be done.

Horrible DRM or no, I would buy that the day it came out were they to make it.

Parallax Abstraction wrote:
SpyNavy wrote:
Parallax Abstraction wrote:

I wrote a ranty blog post about my experiences doing a Wii->WiiU transfer.

Yes, I know I'm a minority case but I don't care. This process was stupid and unnecessary.

Of course you did. I followed it in real time on Twitter :)

I make no apologies for my Twitter feed. Anyone who don't like it knows what to do. The blog post breaks out the nightmare in greater detail and shows examples of how it's done right and why Nintendo has no excuse for it being this way. I really like the WiiU, I really want to see it do well but this is not how you embrace the inevitable all-digital future.

I didnt say you were wrong mate. I came for the negativity and Apple hate, I stayed for the Riley updates :).

Also - I didnt realize you had to setup a Friends list - so now it is setup so friend me up.

Downloading Ninja Gaiden 3 and toying with the idea of picking up Pikmin 2 from Amazon. I really liked the game on Nintendoland. Scratched some weird itch and my youngest loved watching it.

Parallax Abstraction wrote:

This process was stupid and unnecessary.

It's unfortunately that way probably because unlike the other 3 services you mention, there was no infrastructure or account that tied your purchases on your Wii to you as a person. I think if they had the foresight back in 2005 (or even when the DSi launched) to have the Nintendo Network infrastructure in place, the process would've been a lot less painful for you. Just login to the WiiU and redownload all your games like Steam or iOS. Boom done. My guess is that the reason it had to re-download your games on the WiiU is some sort of digital signature or even compatibility updates that are needed for compatibility with the Wii U hypervisor. Regardless, decisions that were made years ago are certainly biting them in the rear now. I don't think the issues you describe were at all intentional. Ignorant or neglectful sure.

My general impression of Nintendo's online/digital strategy is that they are getting better. They're not moving as fast as we want them to be, but the experiences with the 3DS and WiiU are a lot better than the DS and Wii were. iOS and Steam are still the gold standard in my book, but those are services from companies that have been dealing with the internet for a lot longer than the major console manufacturers. For what it's worth, I'm fully expecting either MS and/or Sony to have issues with transferring data from their current consoles to the new iterations next year.

Does anyone know how the DSi -> 3DS transfer compares with Wii->WiiU?

Yeah I'm not yet confident that PSN titles on my PS3 will transfer in any way to the PS4.

They should, but who knows what kind of licensing issues there might be?

And PS3 has the same issue with certain online game saves that can't be backed up onto USB, just like the titles on Wii can't backup to SD card. So there's going to be an issue if you want to play Rock Band 3 and other things on whatever the next system is.

The only solution now to backup those files is buying PS+. I'd prefer Nintendo avoids things like having you pay for an extra service just to have save transfer.

Stele wrote:

The only solution now to backup those files is buying PS+. I'd prefer Nintendo avoids things like having you pay for an extra service just to have save transfer.

Supposedly they said there will be cloud saves coming to Wii U next year. I'm also hoping that's not going to be part of their premium service.