Dark Souls Catch-All

gregrampage wrote:
Minarchist wrote:

P.P.S Also, is there a way to speed weapon swings, like you can speed up spellcasting by pumping Dexterity? Or is each weapon's animation the same speed regardless of any stat?

I don't think so but I really hope I'm wrong. I'd like to move to a heavier sword but I can't handle how slow they are.

I'm almost positive there is no way to affect animation or casting speeds. That would be a pretty cool change.

I started a new character to try out sorceries. If you start with the master key and make a quick run to the depths, you can grab the full Crimson set and the Tin Banishment Catalyst at the start of the game. That catalyst is amazing to start with because the magic adjust is only 2 less than the regular catalyst, but the strong attack is a quick stab that does a ton of damage that early in the game. Very nice on a starting mage character.

I had a pretty hilarious invasion in Undead Burg. The guy invaded with double shields equipped and spammed force on me until he ran out of charges, then tried to bash me with his shields for a while. I just kept my guard up because I was being entertained and didn't want to get rid of him yet. He gave up the bashing and started spamming the point down emote. I got bored and spammed Great Soul Arrow at him to kill him. After his body faded, I noticed he had been spamming that emote because he dropped an item for me, the Dark Hand! That's a pretty damn good weapon/shield at SL 15.

Stele wrote:
Minarchist wrote:

Question: does weapon stat scaling stop at a certain point? I've been using the bad-ass Black Knight Greataxe +5, and with every point of strength I added the stats screen showed a ~7 point gain in weapon damage. But once I hit 40 strength, it now only shows a single point gain. I noticed it was doing that earlier if I was 2-handing when I leveled up, at around the same number that 1-hand is doing it now (low 600s). Does it cap?

Yeah, diminishing returns start at 40. Probably shouldn't level most stats higher than that.

Cool beans. I'd stopped Vitality and Endurance at 41, mostly from noticing that. Also just got faith up to 25 to finally be a sunbro.

Seath was cake in NG+. Man, knowing the attacks makes such an incredible difference.

Dyni wrote:

I had a pretty hilarious invasion in Undead Burg. The guy invaded with double shields equipped and spammed force on me until he ran out of charges, then tried to bash me with his shields for a while. I just kept my guard up because I was being entertained and didn't want to get rid of him yet. He gave up the bashing and started spamming the point down emote. I got bored and spammed Great Soul Arrow at him to kill him. After his body faded, I noticed he had been spamming that emote because he dropped an item for me, the Dark Hand! That's a pretty damn good weapon/shield at SL 15.

That's an awesome story, Dyni. =)

Now I'm feeling the itch to play again. I've never played a ranged character in a Souls game, so maybe now is the time to try.

Huh. Rumored DLC?

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1216...

I'll believe it when I see it.

Polished off NG+ last night and took about 30 minutes to ring both bells on NG++, and kill Sif. Got a longsword +10, got the soul of Sif, only thing left is one final run through Sen's and past the damn dragonslayer archers and I'm done with this toon. And the game, at least for a while.

Nito went down like a little sissy, and the Bed of Chaos too. Four Kings were easy but had a metric ass-load of heath...criminy. Blew through most of the bosses in NG+ until I got to Gwyn. Holy cow he was a lot harder this time around. His recovery time from a missed grab or kick is practically non-existent in NG+, so even if I dodged and got a hit in with my axe he'd still get a lick in on me that drained almost half my health. Had to spend a long time strafing him around one of the stalagmites to be able to heal, poke him, heal again. If it wasn't for the greatshield of Artorias and the puny amount of stamina blocking drains with that shield, I'm not sure I would have been able to do this in less than 20 tries. It's a long, lonely run back from the lordvessel to his lair, even when you're just sprinting past the black knights.

Minarchist wrote:

It's a long, lonely run back from the lordvessel to his lair, even when you're just sprinting past the black knights.

That run is just needlessly long. The first couple of times it's quite fun as you can stop to kill off the knights but once you realise you can just run past them it becomes a needless minute of tedium (see also the lack of a bonfire in the New Londo Ruins).

You know, I just realised that I didn't once go through the Valley of Drakes.

DanB wrote:
Minarchist wrote:

It's a long, lonely run back from the lordvessel to his lair, even when you're just sprinting past the black knights.

That run is just needlessly long. The first couple of times it's quite fun as you can stop to kill off the knights but once you realise you can just run past them it becomes a needless minute of tedium (see also the lack of a bonfire in the New Londo Ruins).

You know, I just realised that I didn't once go through the Valley of Drakes.

There's a better shortcut back to the four kings than VoD. Run down to the first two ghosts of New Londo, go over to the far edge below the staircase up, and look down. Below you is the pool outside of the first slime room, where a couple Darkwraiths wait. Drop down (you can even land on the intermediary buttresses for no health loss) and sprint. Way faster and less dangerous than dodging lightning.

Minarchist wrote:
DanB wrote:
Minarchist wrote:

It's a long, lonely run back from the lordvessel to his lair, even when you're just sprinting past the black knights.

That run is just needlessly long. The first couple of times it's quite fun as you can stop to kill off the knights but once you realise you can just run past them it becomes a needless minute of tedium (see also the lack of a bonfire in the New Londo Ruins).

You know, I just realised that I didn't once go through the Valley of Drakes.

There's a better shortcut back to the four kings than VoD. Run down to the first two ghosts of New Londo, go over to the far edge below the staircase up, and look down. Below you is the pool outside of the first slime room, where a couple Darkwraiths wait. Drop down (you can even land on the intermediary buttresses for no health loss) and sprint. Way faster and less dangerous than dodging lightning.

Thinking back to the Kiln of the First flame the 8th or so time I traversed it I saw something that I haven't seen since and couldn't find any information when I googled it. After you kill the second knight you end up on the thin(ish) stone beams and you have to go round a pillar to get to the 3rd knight. When you're on those beams by the pillar, ahead is knight 3, to the right is the Knight's armour set and to the left is a short broken off projection. On my 8th(ish) run through I could see on that shorter projection what appeared to be an npc (possibly glowing), however I never made it there to see what it was as the 2nd knight killed me because I was concentrating on the (possible) npc and not on the fight. I never saw it again in my other attempts. Does anyone else know what that was? Am I just imagining it?

I dunno. You might not be imagining it. There's the phantom black night that's always pacing back and forth at the bottom of the staircase, so they could certainly put more stuff like that in.

EDIT: semi-related, I love the fragmented storytelling model of this game. Just little pieces of deeper lore here and there, leaving your imagination to run wild filling in the gaps. Much better than being spoon-fed everything.

...I do still half-think they're trolling us with the whole pendant thing, though.

Minarchist wrote:

EDIT: semi-related, I love the fragmented storytelling model of this game. Just little pieces of deeper lore here and there, leaving your imagination to run wild filling in the gaps. Much better than being spoon-fed everything.

I totally agree.

...I do still half-think they're trolling us with the whole pendant thing, though.

I'm not sure what to think about that myself. I'd love to think that there is some totally awesome thing hidden in the game, that the pendant is important but the great masses who have completed it have found absolutely nothing. Although didn't FROM Software say that there is stuff in the game that wouldn't be revealed until you'd played through it multiple times? Not heard about there being much truth to that either.

Yeah, there are people still hard at work piecing stuff together on the wikis and at places like reddit, which is cool to see. It's almost like the lore of the game is an ARG.

DanB wrote:

Thinking back to the Kiln of the First flame the 8th or so time I traversed it I saw something that I haven't seen since and couldn't find any information when I googled it. After you kill the second knight you end up on the thin(ish) stone beams and you have to go round a pillar to get to the 3rd knight. When you're on those beams by the pillar, ahead is knight 3, to the right is the Knight's armour set and to the left is a short broken off projection. On my 8th(ish) run through I could see on that shorter projection what appeared to be an npc (possibly glowing), however I never made it there to see what it was as the 2nd knight killed me because I was concentrating on the (possible) npc and not on the fight. I never saw it again in my other attempts. Does anyone else know what that was? Am I just imagining it?

Are you talking about the last summon spot for SunBro? It's just past those beams, at the top of the stairs.

Tyrian wrote:

Huh. Rumored DLC?

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1216...

I'll buy it when I see it.

Probably won't see it though.

Stele wrote:
DanB wrote:

Thinking back to the Kiln of the First flame the 8th or so time I traversed it I saw something that I haven't seen since and couldn't find any information when I googled it. After you kill the second knight you end up on the thin(ish) stone beams and you have to go round a pillar to get to the 3rd knight. When you're on those beams by the pillar, ahead is knight 3, to the right is the Knight's armour set and to the left is a short broken off projection. On my 8th(ish) run through I could see on that shorter projection what appeared to be an npc (possibly glowing), however I never made it there to see what it was as the 2nd knight killed me because I was concentrating on the (possible) npc and not on the fight. I never saw it again in my other attempts. Does anyone else know what that was? Am I just imagining it?

Are you talking about the last summon spot for SunBro? It's just past those beams, at the top of the stairs.

No I let sunbro die way before then

e2a: And the sunbro summon sign is at the top of the staircase not on the stone beams?

Anyone ever think about who the knight is that rescues you at the beginning of the game?

yeah, but I have no clue. Didn't look familiar in NG+.

D_Davis wrote:

Anyone ever think about who the knight is that rescues you at the beginning of the game?

He's not rescuing you, he's just dumping another hollowed body in the asylum to the north.

DanB wrote:
D_Davis wrote:

Anyone ever think about who the knight is that rescues you at the beginning of the game?

He's not rescuing you, he's just dumping another hollowed body in the asylum to the north.

I disagree. From the way the scene is shot, it looks as though he knows that he's secretly dropping you a body with the key to your freedom on it.

Is it Oscar, the dude that gives you the Estus flask?

That's what I always thought.

What sort of "research" is being done with the Pendant? I figure it's like the witch's ring, an item you have to equip or use at the right time with the right person, so I could see why no one has bothered doing that yet.

SuperDave wrote:

That's what I always thought.

What sort of "research" is being done with the Pendant? I figure it's like the witch's ring, an item you have to equip or use at the right time with the right person, so I could see why no one has bothered doing that yet.

Doesn't the Witch's ring let you talk to the Fire Keeper at the beginning?

gregrampage wrote:
SuperDave wrote:

That's what I always thought.

What sort of "research" is being done with the Pendant? I figure it's like the witch's ring, an item you have to equip or use at the right time with the right person, so I could see why no one has bothered doing that yet.

Doesn't the Witch's ring let you talk to the Fire Keeper at the beginning?

And also the leader of the Chaos Servant covenant.

Minarchist wrote:
gregrampage wrote:
SuperDave wrote:

That's what I always thought.

What sort of "research" is being done with the Pendant? I figure it's like the witch's ring, an item you have to equip or use at the right time with the right person, so I could see why no one has bothered doing that yet.

Doesn't the Witch's ring let you talk to the Fire Keeper at the beginning?

And also the leader of the Chaos Servant covenant.

Seriously? I would've done that had I known.

Spoiler:

Now that she's dead, I'm curious to know what she would've said before and after I freed the Gold Knight who's name keeps escaping me. What does she say?

SuperDave wrote:
Minarchist wrote:
gregrampage wrote:
SuperDave wrote:

That's what I always thought.

What sort of "research" is being done with the Pendant? I figure it's like the witch's ring, an item you have to equip or use at the right time with the right person, so I could see why no one has bothered doing that yet.

Doesn't the Witch's ring let you talk to the Fire Keeper at the beginning?

And also the leader of the Chaos Servant covenant.

Seriously? I would've done that had I known.

Spoiler:

Now that she's dead, I'm curious to know what she would've said before and after I freed the Gold Knight who's name keeps escaping me. What does she say?

She probably says, "hey dave don't let that gold dude kill me" btw I killed him before he had the chance.

D_Davis wrote:

Is it Oscar, the dude that gives you the Estus flask?

Internet suggests yes it is and re-watching the cutscene and checking out the character model they do look the same. That would certainly lend a lot of credence to your point. Yet still when I watch the openingscene it reads "dispassionate" to me rather than "rescuing"

But you find him locked in a cage like five minutes later, about to die. That seems...odd, since here's clearly a man who can take care of himself.

And I get the same read as you, Dan: dispassionate.

Minarchist wrote:

But you find him locked in a cage like five minutes later, about to die. That seems...odd, since here's clearly a man who can take care of himself.

And I get the same read as you, Dan: dispassionate.

If you check his initial dialogue (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULNr_...) it really doesn't seem like he was previously aware he was either helping nor specifically helping you (if it is supposed to be the same guy). Or perhaps the only thing he was doing was generally helping all undead escape the asylum. And it could just be that Oscar and initial knight are just two different Knights of Astora.

Spoiler:

Given the plot it almost sounds like he was the previous/potential chosen undead and in becoming hollow he has realised he isn't the chosen undead and passes the estus flask to you. And nothing about that dialogue suggests any sense of recognition nor deliberately helping you moments ago. In my mind if just raises more questions than it possibly answers, although that seems to be a general theme in the game's story.

Personally, I don't think it's Oscar.

I think it is another knight; I also think he is trying to save you.

The only reason I feel that it is Oscar that liberated you is the dialog "Oh... it's you..." Oscar acts as if he has seen you before.

Ok, so I stared at this game after staring at it unopened for a while after receiving it for Christmas. I didn't make it 30 minutes into demon souls.

However, this game ramps up at the right pace to make you feel like you're actually getting better. I rang the first bell by the time I was done for the day on Friday. I'll be picking it back up in a day or so, but I'm pleasantly surprised.

lancejt wrote:

Ok, so I stared at this game after staring at it unopened for a while after receiving it for Christmas. I didn't make it 30 minutes into demon souls.

However, this game ramps up at the right pace to make you feel like you're actually getting better. I rang the first bell by the time I was done for the day on Friday. I'll be picking it back up in a day or so, but I'm pleasantly surprised.

I love to see posts like this. I asked in a different thread how many people actually gave Dark Souls a fair shot and still didn't like it. I know it happened a lot with Demon's Souls and that's a shame for Dark Souls because it's just so much better (ignoring multiplayer).