Dark Souls Catch-All

Fedaykin98 wrote:

Solid - How do you rescue Griggs that early?

It took two successful shortcut uses for me to get Griggs. The first time I wasn't prepared and got bum-rushed by the rogue-guys and the dogs. The second time I just sprinted up the stairs and opened up the standard shortcut, and retreated to the bonfire. Then I went down slowly and took out the dogs.

I also went ahead and got the enchanted ember and brought it to Rickert of Vinheim. Used some souls I found to get my winged spear up to +5 and tried to upgrade it to a magic version, but I forgot that you need green titanite shards. I was hoping my Blue Titanite I got from a crystal golem by Havel would get put to use.

I have been crushing the black-knights on this playthrough and it's really satisfying. I haven't taken out the belfry gargoyles yet and I totally forgot about the sealer's gear in blight-town. I might go take care of that when I start up next.

EDIT: @JollyBill, Iaito uses regular titanite. A +5 Lightning Iaito took me through most of my first playthrough.

Solid - You probably know, but slimes in the depths drop green shards.

I think Stele mentioned that 1 Humanity is crucial to farming, granting 50 Item Discovery. The second only adds 8. I didn't know this particular math until recently.

Jolly Bill wrote:

I'm trying to level up my Astoria sword but twinkling titanite is pretty hard to come by this early in the game. Still, the damage seems so much more than anything else nearby. Should I try leveling something else up? I'm about to get the Iaito as well, but I'm assuming that one will also need the twinkling titanite to level up.

I loved Astoria as a Faith-based character. It's one of the best weapons you get until late in the game when you can build something else up to a Divine +5 or so.

Twinkling Titanite is sold at the Anor Londo blacksmith now. Game is a lot easier than it was when it released.

As for the other last few comments, yes the Zweihander is awesome, no matter how you upgraded it. i was just randomly filling in for my achievements and decided to use it for Chaos +5. But no matter what you do with it, that R2 attack that knocks most enemies flat on their face is just so fun.

Fedaykin98 wrote:

I think Stele mentioned that 1 Humanity is crucial to farming, granting 50 Item Discovery. The second only adds 8. I didn't know this particular math until recently.

And yes. If you put on the Covetous Ring and have 1 humanity that's like 350 Item Discovery and I think the max is 410 anyway.

mrtomaytohead wrote:

So yeah, quite a bit of frustration.

After similar frustration, I decided to skip those guys in Sen's on the first pass and came back after I had better gear.

Stele wrote:
Fedaykin98 wrote:

I think Stele mentioned that 1 Humanity is crucial to farming, granting 50 Item Discovery. The second only adds 8. I didn't know this particular math until recently.

And yes. If you put on the Covetous Ring and have 1 humanity that's like 350 Item Discovery and I think the max is 410 anyway.

You start with 100 Item discovery. 1 Humanity gets you to 150. Then you get 6-8 extra per each humanity until you're holding 10 humanity. Then you're at 210. Covetous Gold Serpent Ring gives you +200 for a max of 410.

S0LIDARITY wrote:
Fedaykin98 wrote:

Solid - How do you rescue Griggs that early?

It took two successful shortcut uses for me to get Griggs. The first time I wasn't prepared and got bum-rushed by the rogue-guys and the dogs. The second time I just sprinted up the stairs and opened up the standard shortcut, and retreated to the bonfire. Then I went down slowly and took out the dogs.

I also went ahead and got the enchanted ember and brought it to Rickert of Vinheim. Used some souls I found to get my winged spear up to +5 and tried to upgrade it to a magic version, but I forgot that you need green titanite shards. I was hoping my Blue Titanite I got from a crystal golem by Havel would get put to use.

I have been crushing the black-knights on this playthrough and it's really satisfying. I haven't taken out the belfry gargoyles yet and I totally forgot about the sealer's gear in blight-town. I might go take care of that when I start up next.

EDIT: @JollyBill, Iaito uses regular titanite. A +5 Lightning Iaito took me through most of my first playthrough.

Duuuuuuuude... never knew about that trick!
Thanks for the heads up.

So farming green titanite from the giant leeches with 10 held humanity sucks b@lls. I did not enjoy it one bit, and after clearing them all out about 5 times, I only had 3 large titanite and no green. I get better drops faster in the depths! However, if I can get my hands on the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring, that might improve things.

Dakuna wrote:

So farming green titanite from the giant leeches with 10 held humanity sucks b@lls. I did not enjoy it one bit, and after clearing them all out about 5 times, I only had 3 large titanite and no green. I get better drops faster in the depths! However, if I can get my hands on the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring, that might improve things.

You're better off soul farming and just buying them.

I prefer farming green titanite from the Depths. The slimes are so easy to kill with pyromancy and so close to the bonfire. In Blighttown, you have to trek through the nasty swamp and fight the more challenging leeches.

EDIT:@Chauntecleer, I found out about this shortcut by watching the 'Everything Possible before the Gargoyles' LP. I couldn't remember what episode it was on, so I just Googled 'Undead Burg to Lower Undead Burg shortcut.'

Also, not sure it is worth farming for any drops before you get the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring, given the massive amount it increases item discovery.

I'm still going to farm a few green titanite shards before Sen's. I'd like to have my winged spear scaling with my INT as soon as possible.

What do you guys think are the peak playing times for maximum summoning potential?

S0LIDARITY wrote:

I'm still going to farm a few green titanite shards before Sen's. I'd like to have my winged spear scaling with my INT as soon as possible.

Spoiler:

There's one green titanite treasure, found in Blighttown near the leeches.

EDIT: oops bolded that instead of spoiler'd it!

Chauntecleer wrote:

What do you guys think are the peak playing times for maximum summoning potential?

Evenings and weekends. And being in the right level range, of course.

My second playthrough is my Strength character who's at 56, and that's nicely in a range that can get summoned for both Iron Golem and S&O. This was one of my favorite points in the game in my first playthrough. I love co-op.

Solid - I THINK the Crestfallen Merchant in Sen's also sells Green Titanite, btw. I farmed all mine from slimed the first time around, but there is that option as well.

I don't like the crestfallen merchant. He artificially inflates the prices on his titanite, he's rude to his customers, and he set up shop in a terrible location.

Hmm, I always ended with way more green titanite than I needed from the Blighttown leeches. Odd that you aren't getting many drops. Those leeches should be super easy to farm. You just need to get a strong bow or a weapon with a good vertical swing or low jab.

Dyni wrote:

Hmm, I always ended with way more green titanite than I needed from the Blighttown leeches. Odd that you aren't getting many drops. Those leeches should be super easy to farm. You just need to get a strong bow or a weapon with a good vertical swing or low jab.

Farming them is easy, but the drops are garbage so far.

After taking a week off due to a soul-crushing series of events, I finally made some progress this weekend. Made my way in the front door of Sen's and stood around contemplating the swinging blades for a while before deciding that I should revisit the asylum. It took >20 tries and a few choice curse words, but I finally took out the Stray Demon before returning to Firelink. Many important lessons were learned.

Spoiler:

I had previously been defeating Black Knights with a parry/riposte combo, but backstabbing has become far more reliable in the time since I last faced one.

Initially Stray was feeling completely impossible with my Longsword +10. (couldn't put in any appreciable damage at all) Switching to a bandit's knife helped a lot. (three swipes will proc bleed damage for around 10% of his life) Also, simply replaying the fight over and over helped to identify ways to lock him into a particular attack pattern. Most importantly, keeping your targeting locked on him when he flies up in the air is a death sentence (the only attack that would kill me in one shot).

@psoplayer,

Spoiler:

The lock-on is a trap if he's over your head. I found it was particularly easy to attack his crotch close-range, he would often fly up for the air-drop and I would roll back-wards and rush into slash at his downstairs-mix-up after he landed. I found it was pretty easy to manipulate his attacks that way. Your experience will come in handy with a very similar boss down the road.

That was the pattern that eventually led to my victory. As long as he kept looping that attack I would be fine and had no reason to lock-on in the first place. Occasionally he would decide to do something else, leaving me in a scenario where I felt the need to lock-on again, and would subsequently forget to disable it once I got back into the pattern. I was 1-shot killed from 100% 3 or 4 times with Stray at <10% because of such things. I learned... eventually.

I tried to take on Havel about 15 times last night at around level 12. I was only doing 35 damage per backstab. My first time I got him down to one more back-stab but got greedy and tried to finish him with a combo. Then I wasn't as patient and only got him below 25% 2-3 more times. I moved on and will try again soon.

S0LIDARITY wrote:

I tried to take on Havel about 15 times last night at around level 12. I was only doing 35 damage per backstab. My first time I got him down to one more back-stab but got greedy and tried to finish him with a combo. Then I wasn't as patient and only got him below 25% 2-3 more times. I moved on and will try again soon.

If you have a long-reach weapon, you can easily take him out using his hermit crab flaw

So last night I managed to kill Quelaag first try, man is that an easy fight. I had one melee PC, and Mildred, and she was super easy to take down. I did one practice run before that as a helpful phantom, which also went like clockwork. I mostly cleared out Blighttown, but as I was working backwards from the Valley of Drakes, I was not really motivated to get the Iaito and other goodies from earlier on in the zone; I'll come in from the Depths sometime and get the rest of the loot that way I think. I didn't even plan to kill Quelaag, my intention really was just to explore a bit and get some green titanite, but as that wasn't dropping I decided to give the boss a go. I did manage to get my magic claymore to +1, and I got my falchion up to +9 in preparation for making the Quelaag's Fury Sword or whatever it is, but obviously I have a bunch of work to do before that will be possible.

I'm enjoying this character a lot, but I'm a little annoyed because I'm staying at level 25 for multiplayer purposes. I'd really like to level up more. I think I may have to do that, and just start a different character for multiplayer. Maybe I can rob my other two characters of all their stuff, delete them, and make a new toon.

EDIT: It seems obvious, but is Sen's my next goal? Or Demon Ruins?

I was using the winged spear. I'd typically circle him towards his shield, and roll behind him when he got ready to attack. I can parry/riposte him regularly, but as the fight goes on I get more impatient and end up jumping the gun. I could wait for his attack and poke at him as he recovers, but my light attacks were only doing 11 damage a pop. I have upgraded my spear to +5 since then, but I doubt that'll make a big difference.

EDIT: @Dakuna, how would you transfer stuff from characters?

S0LIDARITY wrote:

I was using the winged spear. I'd typically circle him towards his shield, and roll behind him when he got ready to attack. I can parry/riposte him regularly, but as the fight goes on I get more impatient and end up jumping the gun. I could wait for his attack and poke at him as he recovers, but my light attacks were only doing 11 damage a pop. I have upgraded my spear to +5 since then, but I doubt that'll make a big difference.

EDIT: @Dakuna, how would you transfer stuff from characters?

Co-op with a friend, drop all my stuff, have them carry it, then co-op with my other toon and have them drop it. Does that not work in Dark Souls? It worked in Demon's Souls, but I admit I have not yet tried it in Dark Souls.

Dakuna - Typically, Sen's.

You'll need a willing accomplice to move any items from one of your characters to another, btw.

I'm kind of planning to keep a bunch of characters scattered throughout the level range for multiplayer purposes, too.

There are lots of good multiplayer opportunities ahead of you. I'm surprised you're done with Quelaag at 25, actually. You can probably still get summoned for Gargoyles, Capra, and Gaping Dragon at that level.

At 56, my strength character is still being summoned to the boss of Sen's, as well as S&O. Both are fun multiplayer fights, especially S&O. I particularly love the music in S&O - it's completely different from any other music in the entire game. It sounds like it was lifted from a Final Fantasy game.

Edit: Tannhausered on the subject of muling!

Quelaag is super easy though! I am maybe a wee bit overpowered though, because I'm refusing to level up, but leveling up my gear etc.

Dakuna wrote:

Quelaag is super easy though! I am maybe a wee bit overpowered though, because I'm refusing to level up, but leveling up my gear etc.

To be fair, just about every boss fight is super easy when you have 2 summons helping.

Quelaag can be easy. I found her very easy to solo on my sorceror, back when. She's also kind of easy with Maneater Mildred in the party - Mildred will do her damndest to win the fight for you, though I doubt she quite can.

However, I was surprised this time around to be in many failed Quelaag groups. In particular, three melee PCs can have a hard time, especially if no one is doing lightning or magic damage. The other key is for folks to haw switched out of poison resist gear and into fire resist - when she does her AoE fire explosion attack, you can just die if you aren't geared properly, and if you're right next to her since you're melee.

When I was the host on Quelaag this time, I grabbed two PCs, geared for fire resist, and applied lightning damage to my Zweihander. It was a piece of cake. Really, the fight is probably easy for any group as long as no one just gets blown up by the AoE fire attack and the host is mindful of keeping people healed.

Sonicator wrote:
mrtomaytohead wrote:

So yeah, quite a bit of frustration.

After similar frustration, I decided to skip those guys in Sen's on the first pass and came back after I had better gear.

Probably not a bad idea. The funny thing is, the one you meet in undead parish going to darkroot died on my first try with him, which caused me all kinds of confusion when I started having troubles with them this time.

BTW, I'm level 52 or so and just made it to Anor Londo with 60 green titanite shards on a character that has no real use for magic weapons. I'd be happy to spew a dozen or so at someone if that's possible. I've not done a lick of co-op yet. Playing on PC.