Dark Souls Catch-All

My Zweihander-wielding, elite knight set wearing strength character is now through Depths, and caught up with my Faith build. Poor cleric is probably going to stay parked at 35, since he's not different enough from my sorceror.

My new build will continue to flatten enemies in hilarious fashion. I'm pretty sure I staggered Capra Demon today - he didn't fall on his face, and I wouldn't expect a boss to, but he did stop an attack animation.

Excellent call on the Zweihander!

Jolly Bill wrote:

Having a blast with this game! Probably over leveled, but rang the bell, Gargoyles took two tries (sorcerer with Heavy Soul Arrow hits HARD). Capra demon was a bitch but took 4 tries or so until I could kill the dogs, then he was easy to hit from a distance.

As much fun as the summoning / higher item finding of being human is, I was getting seriously tired of folks with ridiculous gear invading and completely destroying me. I've been pumping my humanity into the bonfires as fast as I get it, pretty much, so I don't have to worry too much about it.

Because of the master key I was expanding into valley of drakes, lower undead burg, undead parish, and catacombs all at the same time depending on my mood. Now that I've rung the bell and moved onto the depths, I think I'll restrict my attention to the depths for a little while until I feel up to attacking those ridiculous wheel skeletons down in the catacombs again, or trying the boss past the turny bridge that I am damn sure that smarmy asshole is going to turn on me and knock my into the pit.

Throughout the game it is likely that if you are invaded it will be by a player that created a very specific character in order to maximize their damage output with a given set of equipment. At lower levels it is almost a death sentence to be invaded because of the use high end gear or magic that is difficult to attain.

I'd say my win/loss ratio is probably 1/14. Nearly every time I am invaded at any level it is by someone that can wipe me out in less than 5 hits without using a back stab. There are so many cheap tricks and issues with lag that I quit the game if I detect that I'm being invaded.

Yeah I generally only am human when I'm about to fight a boss and have 1 or 2 phantoms with me. Otherwise I just stay hollow. Not worth getting invaded by yourself. Rarely going to win a 1v1, but I've survived lots of 2v1 and 3v1 through the months.

It was fun pretending to play with you tuffalo. Hopefully we can get it working at some point. After you left I tried to fight the bridge drake a couple of times before just leaving to fight another day. Not before filling his tail with arrows and taking the drake sword, though. Then I explored down into the forest area a bit after killing the poor stone sod missing a leg. I felt sorry for that guy a little bit... And then there was a black knight right in my path, so I immediately just left.

So far I have yet to reverse my original hollowed state. From the sound of things I'm not missing much.

I'm pretty sure I need to figure out how to best the Gaping Dragon next, but the past couple of encounters have just seen me die as I gape at the awesome monster design on display.

Fedaykin98 wrote:

My Zweihander-wielding, elite knight set wearing strength character is now through Depths, and caught up with my Faith build. Poor cleric is probably going to stay parked at 35, since he's not different enough from my sorceror.

My new build will continue to flatten enemies in hilarious fashion. I'm pretty sure I staggered Capra Demon today - he didn't fall on his face, and I wouldn't expect a boss to, but he did stop an attack animation.

Excellent call on the Zweihander!

You've been motoring along! Glad you're enjoying it.

psoplayer wrote:

So far I have yet to reverse my original hollowed state. From the sound of things I'm not missing much.

Well, co-op is awesome in Dark Souls...

Fedaykin98 wrote:
psoplayer wrote:

So far I have yet to reverse my original hollowed state. From the sound of things I'm not missing much.

Well, co-op is awesome in Dark Souls...

Yeah, so funny story. I've seen Fedaykin playing this game a lot so I went out and purchased the 360 copy today (I only had the PS3 version). I was like 25 hours into a PS3 game that had me stuck at the Capra Demon and Havel The Rock. I had a 10 hour save for the 360 that had me even further behind this, not having even rung the first bell. So Fed gave me a pep talk and said I could be at those in a couple of hours. Sure enough, that was true. In 2 hours I had rung the bell and gotten to around level 18 from a fresh start. I was aided by some great Co-Op partners I summoned. That was a lot of fun to not be on my own for all of that. I went on for another 3 hours and I'm far further than in my PS3 save. What a trip. Point is that...

#1 - Fed's a great Dark Souls "coach"

#2 - Practice and you might not realize just how much better you've gotten until you start from the beginning

#3 - Co-Op makes it that much more enjoyable. I hated the Capra Demon, but simply having someone to distract him made it so I could beat him.

On I go into the Depths or whereever I choose to go next.

Fedaykin98 wrote:
psoplayer wrote:

So far I have yet to reverse my original hollowed state. From the sound of things I'm not missing much.

Well, co-op is awesome in Dark Souls...

Fair enough. But I've been able to do that as a phantom. The only place I've actually been summoned is for the Capra Demon in the lower burg, but so far I've been able to finish him off for my partner 5/5 times. Now, if I could just make it past that drake to the sunbro shrine...

@psoplayer, there are also NPC invaders that only show up when you're human. I found them to be really fun and some of them drop unique gear.

I've owned Demon's Souls for a while. I have about 20 hours in it. It never grabbed me like Dark Souls has. I feel like I have a sickness.

Quick note before my main point: Spear zombies in the Undead Burg are incredibly easy with a long sword. Just kick them, then R2. Once I figured that out, all of my Burg runs became practically effortless.

Onward to...

Things My Wife Says While Watching Me Play Dark Souls

Context: On the bridge, under the dragon, surrounded by zombie and rat corpses.

Wife: Gross. I hate that the bodies just stay there after you kill them.
Me: Really? That bothers you?
Wife: Yeah. Can't you kick them off the edge?
Me: I can try. Like this? (Slowly walks against a body until it falls off the edge)
Wife: Yeah. Now get all of them. But don't kill yourself. Just clean up your trash.

Context: In Darkroot Garden. I read a message that said "Try Jumping".

Me: (Panning the camera around to see what's below me) Do you see place to jump that doesn't look like instant death.
Wife: Maybe he wants you to commit suicide because it's better than what you're about to face.

Context: I had killed Havel the Rock the night before.

Me: Hey. You remember the big scary rock guy with the giant hammer thing?
Wife: Yeah. He was scary.
Me: I beat him last night.
Wife: How?
Me: It was really heroic. I shot him with poison arrows and waited for him to die.
Wife: I'm glad you're finally playing smart.

Context: Any given moment.

Wife: I've seen this, like, a thousand times.
Me: Tell me about it.

I cleared Anor Londo for now. There was an area I tried to go to that was blocked off by a wall of yellow fog. I managed to make my Iato +5 lightning because I discovered that

Spoiler:

The extra large giants near the bonfire for Lady Gwynevere drop them occasionally.

I also used the Black Eye Orb successfully.

Spoiler:

It took me 4 tries. I really wanted to take out Lautrec's cronies individually but it seemed like I would pull the caster first and he would charge towards me and I would have about 5-10 seconds before the spear guy and Lautrec followed. I got them when I went super aggressive on the caster and then threw fireorbs at Lautrec. At first it was really satisfying to bring the firekeeper back to life, but then she was depressing in conversation. It's like she regrets not being part of an upgrade to my estus flask.

O&S

Spoiler:

I had been human form to kindle the second bonfire in Anor Londo and I saw summoning signs so I summoned two guys to help if I got invaded. I had cleared the area up until the two XL giants and tried to make it clear that I needed to explore but my phantoms seemed really bored. So I just went through the fog gate for them and took out O&S without much trouble. I felt guilty for not having tried it on my own at least once, but that fight seems like it could be a bear if you can't take out one of the two rather fast.

I managed to take out Capra Demon after getting the Elite Knight set. Gave me just enough survivability.

I cleared the Depths in one life. Summoned a player to help me kill the boss. It was pretty cake.

However, the trip back to firelink, carrying 30K souls was beyond nerve-wracking.

Lex Cayman wrote:

I managed to take out Capra Demon after getting the Elite Knight set. Gave me just enough survivability.

I cleared the Depths in one life. Summoned a player to help me kill the boss. It was pretty cake.

However, the trip back to firelink, carrying 30K souls was beyond nerve-wracking.

You're approaching a point in the game where 30K will be pocket change. Over the weekend I think I lost 400K total and was never mad about it. I was annoyed that I lost 6 humanity, but those too became replaceable.

DSG - Thanks for the kind words, brother! Congrats on your fantastic progress!

pso - The trick to getting to SunBros HQ is to lure the drake onto the bridge, then sprint past him. I've never had any problem doing this. It's easy if you have a bow to shoot him with, but I did it yesterday on my melee-only guy with no problem.

Solid - I lol'ed at your comment about the Firelink keeper.

Lex - Your wife is hilarious! More, please!

I came away with about 10 new games from Steam sales and gifts, but with all this chatter, I think I'm going to get home tonight and play more Dark Souls

I NEEDS MAH FIX!

Fedaykin98 wrote:

pso - The trick to getting to SunBros HQ is to lure the drake onto the bridge, then sprint past him. I've never had any problem doing this. It's easy if you have a bow to shoot him with, but I did it yesterday on my melee-only guy with no problem.

Doh! Of course you would need to bait him out onto the bridge first. I'm so dumb. I read somewhere that it should be possible to just run past him, but without any other context to the hint. Needless to say, I only attempted that tactic once before calling it hopeless.

Well, I know what's at the top of tonight's agenda.

psoplayer wrote:
Fedaykin98 wrote:

pso - The trick to getting to SunBros HQ is to lure the drake onto the bridge, then sprint past him. I've never had any problem doing this. It's easy if you have a bow to shoot him with, but I did it yesterday on my melee-only guy with no problem.

Doh! Of course you would need to bait him out onto the bridge first. I'm so dumb. I read somewhere that it should be possible to just run past him, but without any other context to the hint. Needless to say, I only attempted that tactic once before calling it hopeless.

Well, I know what's at the top of tonight's agenda.

I figured out a good way from one of the wiki entries this weekend and pulled it off pretty easily.

Obviously you come up from the bonfire in Undead Burg, up the shotcut ladder, halfway across the bridge.

Now sprint across the bridge to the left side, and hide in that little alcove off the side, where you will be safe from fire. The dragon will spew fire as you run across and clear all the bad guys.

Stand in that alcove for 15 seconds maybe, and the dragon will jump down. You don't have to shoot him or anything. Sprint immediately between his legs, and you should make the end of the bridge before he jumps back up to burn you.

If you wait too long to sprint he will start spewing fire while he is down on the bridge and it will flame up into the previously safe spots off the side. You don't want that.

Fedaykin98 wrote:

Lex - Your wife is hilarious! More, please! :lol:

The thing you have to imagine is she's lying on the couch, two months pregnant, completely uninterested, looking at Facebook on her phone. These comments just come out of the blue.

I'll see if I can convince her to put up with more of this. I bet she'll have some choice words about Quelaag.

@Lex, all of your wife's commentary seems to be about lulls in the game. There's some locations coming up where even the terrain was still tense for me, even when the enemies weren't around.
EDIT: and I'm looking forward to what she has to say about those cruel spots.

2nd EDIT: I now have the fire-defense ring, and fire-defense shield. You're all going to tempt me into fighting the Hellkite drake tonight. It probably won't end well, but I'll give it 4-5 tries.

Lex's wife = Awesome. I seriously lol'd. You should make it a weekly column or something the like.

S0LIDARITY wrote:

@Lex, all of your wife's commentary seems to be about lulls in the game. There's some locations coming up where even the terrain was still tense for me, even when the enemies weren't around.
EDIT: and I'm looking forward to what she has to say about those cruel spots.

2nd EDIT: I now have the fire-defense ring, and fire-defense shield. You're all going to tempt me into fighting the Hellkite drake tonight. It probably won't end well, but I'll give it 4-5 tries.

Is there a spot you could summon people around there? That would be cool.

Like if we are both level 50 can we drop summon signs for each other in low level areas like that?

@Kamakazi, I think I saw a summoning sign on the bridge by Solaire once. I could test that with you if you're on 360. I think my character is SL55 right now, so I can summon anyone between 40-70. Might be 39-71, I don't know how rounding factors in. I'm also assuming that the Dragon counts as the boss for that section. I'm going to wiki this and edit.

EDIT: Didn't find anything definitive, but there was a screenshot of a phantom on the bridge at the same time as the Hellkite Drake.

brokenclavicle wrote:

Lex's wife = Awesome. I seriously lol'd. You should make it a weekly column or something the like.

Last night my wife put away all the laundry when I explained I was in co-op with someone and didn't want to risk losing humanity. That was cool of her. Her comments aren't as funny as Lex's wife. She mostly says "that game is pretty and relaxing". As a spectator she's hearing the music and seeing the sights and it's fairly soothing for a video game. Especially compared to shooters.

Stele's method for luring the drake is identical to what I did yesterday, except that I've never run through his legs. I just run by his side.

Solid - I don't think you can summon in an area where you've already beaten the boss. Not sure what boss the bridge is tied to, but I assume it's the gargoyles. That would mean anyone summoning help for the drake would need the gargoyles alive in his game. Obviously, the people being summoned don't share that restriction.

DSGamer wrote:
brokenclavicle wrote:

Lex's wife = Awesome. I seriously lol'd. You should make it a weekly column or something the like.

Last night my wife put away all the laundry when I explained I was in co-op with someone and didn't want to risk losing humanity. That was cool of her. Her comments aren't as funny as Lex's wife. She mostly says "that game is pretty and relaxing". As a spectator she's hearing the music and seeing the sights and it's fairly soothing for a video game. Especially compared to shooters.

Yeah, my wife was kind of upset when I killed Moonlight Butterfly. "But that one's pretty!" She was not around for Gaping Dragon.

When I tried to get summoned for the Gargoyles I placed my sign at their door and went about trying to farm a side-sword. I assume that the range for a summon is the same as the range for the sign disappearing. When I would advance towards the bridge where the boar resides, I would get a notification that the summoning sign had disappeared. The distance between the hellkite bridge and the gargoyles seems too far of a summoning range for early game to me.

I don't know that those things are identical, but that's an interesting point.

It would still make sense to me if the Gargoyle's are the checkpoint for allowing summoning throughout the whole Undead Parish, but I'd still like to check.

I think the Drake is considered a resident of the Undead Burg. It doesn't give the Undead Parish title card until you actually cross the bridge and climb up the ladder from where the rats were or (I have to assume) entering the front door under his perch.