Dark Souls Catch-All

I play Dark Souls on 360. I just recently bought a PS3 to play Demon's Souls. Feel free to add me, though.

S0LIDARITY and I teamed up last night to take down Gaping Dragon in both our games. We had to fiddle with dropping signs a couple times, but it worked, we grabbed Solaire, and cut two tails and killed two dragons.

Fedaykin98 wrote:

I play Dark Souls on 360. I just recently bought a PS3 to play Demon's Souls. Feel free to add me, though.

S0LIDARITY and I teamed up last night to take down Gaping Dragon in both our games. We had to fiddle with dropping signs a couple times, but it worked, we grabbed Solaire, and cut two tails and killed two dragons.

Nice! I have no xbox, nor any on the horizon, but I'd enjoy some coop on Demon's Souls. Typically when I play coop DeS, I use skype to chat, it makes connecting with your chosen partner much easier.

I rang the second bell! The boss fight took me forever as I only attacked when I knew it was super safe. Before going to the next area I decided to go around and fight all the scary dudes who scared me earlier with their scariness. Anyway, I took down the Black Knight and he dropped a Black Knight Greatsword but I'm 8 levels from being able to use it!

Can you kindle multiple fires or can you only have one fire designated as kindled?

BNice wrote:

I rang the second bell! The boss fight took me forever as I only attacked when I knew it was super safe. Before going to the next area I decided to go around and fight all the scary dudes who scared me earlier with their scariness. Anyway, I took down the Black Knight and he dropped a Black Knight Greatsword but I'm 8 levels from being able to use it!

Can you kindle multiple fires or can you only have one fire designated as kindled?

You can kindle as many as you want. They stay kindled for the whole game.

The co-op was pretty fun, and it drastically lessened the degree of difficulty, I think I'll be spending more time in Human form going forward. After we finished, I tried to leave my sign out for people going for the gargoyles. I didn't get summoned but heard the bell twice.

I did see Dark Souls as a 'Greatest Hit' for PS3 so it should be $20 or less everywhere now.

I was really surprised when I invited Fedaykin98 to a 'party chat' and it kicked me out of online mode for Dark Souls. Then it let us do a 'private chat' while co-oping. I'm not sure how that translates for PS3 communication but Skype seems like an acceptable solution.

EDIT: I want to pick up the DLC for this game. I just don't know how exactly it works, will it mess up my game at all if I download it part-way through my play-through?

You can grab the DLC at any time, but you can only play it towards the end of the game. I believe you need to have finished Anor Londo. I did it right before the final boss (which is where I still am).

I would guess that at 35 or so, you are out of the level range to get summoned for Gargoyles. You could do a ton of Gaping Dragon and possibly some Capra Demon. Maybe Midnight Butterfly.

@BNice - Kindle every fire you can as high as you can, imho (except bonfires that appear just to let you teleport out of boss fights that take place in areas with no exits). They remain kindled even into NG+, if you end up playing that.

I know I'm going to get blasted for this but is there a mod that stops the respawning after you die? The game can still be difficult without it. I hate having to fight through the same stuff again because I tripped and fell on my sword or whatever.

Nope. Stop falling on your sword

Fedaykin98 wrote:

You can grab the DLC at any time, but you can only play it towards the end of the game. I believe you need to have finished Anor Londo. I did it right before the final boss (which is where I still am).

I would guess that at 35 or so, you are out of the level range to get summoned for Gargoyles. You could do a ton of Gaping Dragon and possibly some Capra Demon. Maybe Midnight Butterfly.

Forgot about that. I'll probably hold off on the DLC until I get through Anor Londo then, maybe it'll be a weekly XBL sale #delusion. I'm still really stuffed up with a head cold. I guess I'll be bringing in the new year with some Dark Souls, hot tea, and blankets.

karmajay wrote:

I know I'm going to get blasted for this but is there a mod that stops the respawning after you die? The game can still be difficult without it. I hate having to fight through the same stuff again because I tripped and fell on my sword or whatever.

Once you learn an area, you can mostly cruise through it like a deadly force of nature, which is part of the fun, and how you know you've arrived.

Also, you can often run past most or all enemies to get to the boss. I do that a lot. After I know the area, of course.

Fedaykin98 wrote:
karmajay wrote:

I know I'm going to get blasted for this but is there a mod that stops the respawning after you die? The game can still be difficult without it. I hate having to fight through the same stuff again because I tripped and fell on my sword or whatever.

Once you learn an area, you can mostly cruise through it like a deadly force of nature, which is part of the fun, and how you know you've arrived.

Also, you can often run past most or all enemies to get to the boss. I do that a lot. After I know the area, of course.

Yeah, when I was wandering around last night it was awesome just plowing through all the guys that I used to be deadly afraid of.

Dyni wrote:

You can kindle as many as you want. They stay kindled for the whole game.

Thanks

Fedaykin98 wrote:

Also, you can often run past most or all enemies to get to the boss. I do that a lot. After I know the area, of course.

The Undead Burg and path to it from Firelink Shrine is a pretty tough sprint when you first start. I think the hellkite drake can be discouraging for the whole just run by stuff idea. When I opened up the elevator the undead parish I found it a lot easier to travel as I pleased.

Fedaykin98 wrote:
karmajay wrote:

I know I'm going to get blasted for this but is there a mod that stops the respawning after you die? The game can still be difficult without it. I hate having to fight through the same stuff again because I tripped and fell on my sword or whatever.

Once you learn an area, you can mostly cruise through it like a deadly force of nature, which is part of the fun, and how you know you've arrived.

Also, you can often run past most or all enemies to get to the boss. I do that a lot. After I know the area, of course.

Also, without respawning enemies by the mid game you are going to be VERY underleveled for the things you are going to be running into.

I believe that you can sprint from the Undead Burg fire to the Taurus Demon fog door without fighting anyone, even the boulder guy on those narrow stairs. You can keep your shield up and squeeze by him. I agree that I wouldn't try it from Firelink to Undead Burg, but that's a very easy route once you're used to the game.

I sprinted from a bonfire to the final DLC boss, killing only one enemy each time.

The boss in Blighttown, definitely. Bed of Chaos, too. Seath the Scaleless. Moonlight Butterfly. It's all in learning the area.

I made it to Anor Londo and it's gorgeous! Had a mini-panic attack when I couldn't find the bonfire for a bit with a ton of souls banked and big statue dudes everywhere.

A Crystal Halberd dropped, I used it, thought it was awesome and then saw the durability

Is it possible to go back to the previous area? I never purchased all the tool kits.

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/...

Linked the co-op guide from one of the Wikis. If anyone is just getting into that part of the game it gives you everything you need to know and, in particular, it lists the level range you should be at for each Boss area. This general rule is simple and effective, though...after you defeat a Boss and spend your souls, go back to the originating bonfire and drop your sign.

My biggest problem right now are invading phantoms. I have been working through the Catacombs with my high level Cleric and I got invaded and backstabbed three times. It feels like I am being griefed. I hate losing all that humanity! I have kept it safe and plentiful for so long.

If the Catacombs were not so devoid of helpful summon signs it would not be so bad, but I am approaching level 70 and the invading phantoms are frickin' beasts.

If anyone goes for a PvP build, just boost your Strength and Vitality and wield a massive Demon weapon with two hands. Pretty much every phantom that comes after me (as you approach level 60) can deal out enough damage in one shot to kill you andthey are usually under a 25% equipment burden, so they move fast. Also, they seem to have perfected the lag timing to a degree I cannot, because I never get a backstab and they always do.

Damn you Darkwraiths!

P.S.
I looked into becoming a Darkwraith on the Wiki and I will probably never see that NPC, unless it is in NG+ and I used the wiki knowledge to get there at the right time. Some of the content in the game is buried so deep in esoteric routes, I am amazed anyone has found them.

They really do need something in the game to give you some key information about this stuff. They do a great job of showing you the direct path through the game, but the covenant stuff and NPC interactions that affect summons are really hard to understand just playing the game. Reading the wiki on some of this stuff made me realize that at no point would I ever have figured it out alone, even with a well trained Dark Souls brain.

The Crystal weapons can be maintained through upgrade, but the material is very rare. Use wisely.

Yes, just move back to where you where dropped down in Anor Londo and you can return the the previous area.

Awesome, thanks guys.

heavy, I handle my co-op a little differently:

1) I don't spend my souls first, for fear of out-leveling the content I'm attempting to help with - though this is probably not a big danger, I'm just paranoid about that. You also don't lose anything when you die as a phantom in someone else's game, so you don't need to spend them until you're somewhere dangerous in your own game.

2) I don't drop my sign at bonfires, but near boss doors. I see other players do both, but I'm mainly in it for the boss fights. I might try doing it at a bonfire sometime, but it seems like a lot of drudgery. Also, the one time I sort of accidentally summoned folks at a bonfire, they cleared the entire area for me at lightning speed, so I didn't really get to explore it. Not their fault at all, just not what I want in this game, where exploration is most of the point.

Sometimes I like to drop my sign to co-op a boss that I have yet to fight in my own game, to get insight into it before I go in risking my souls and humanity.

Buying this tomorrow. I expect to rage from all that I've heard and seen.

ZaneRockfist wrote:

Buying this tomorrow. I expect to rage from all that I've heard and seen.

What I used to tell folks is, don't judge the game until you can play an hour without dying. Until then, you're still handicapped by the bad habits taught by other games.

Learn the combat. Most enemies have no "trick" to beating them; you just need to follow the rules and come out ahead.

Fedaykin98 wrote:

an hour without dying. Until then, you're still handicapped by the bad habits taught by other games.

I'm nearly there. Cursed ledges.

This game isn't so much that it's hard or cheap (though there have been a few instances of extreme cheapness...), it's just you have to be willing to cooperate (in a jolly fashion) with the game in order to enjoy it.

For instance, fighting things on a narrow ledge is a horrible idea. If the monster doesn't hit you off, chances are you'll misstep because your attack animation moves you a bit further than you think it will.

There are quite a few very hard games out there, which I do not like, but what makes Dark Souls worth it to me is the rewards; beautiful worlds, amazing loot, new strange characters, tidbits of lore, finely honed skills, and the knowledge and ability needed to adapt to almost any situation. If this was just a difficult Mario clone I would not play it. It has so much depth and balance and it is all set in a gorgeous 3D world where you get to see your character evolve.

S0LIDARITY wrote:
Fedaykin98 wrote:

an hour without dying. Until then, you're still handicapped by the bad habits taught by other games.

I'm nearly there. Cursed ledges.

If you cleared Depths from the entrance to the fog door, you're there. Never mind the arbitrary one hour figure.

So, I found how to return to the Undead Asylum today. I lost some souls/humanity to the Stray Demon. That fight seemed less fair to me than the Capra Demon. I may just be bitter because I lost 6 humanity and about 15k souls.

Spoiler:

The surprise drop and forced heal set me on my heels the first few times. I eventually figured out how to stay out of range of his giant fire attacks and how to goad him into flying up and attempting the easily avoided 'ass-drop' attack.

EDIT: I know I've stayed alive for more than an hour at a time before. I just feel like a noob whenever I fall off a ledge, aka 5 times a night.

2nd EDIT: Now trading with Snuggly the crow. How the hell did anyone figure this out?

S0LIDARITY wrote:

So, I found how to return to the Undead Asylum today. I lost some souls/humanity to the Stray Demon. That fight seemed less fair to me than the Capra Demon. I may just be bitter because I lost 6 humanity and about 15k souls.

Spoiler:

The surprise drop and forced heal set me on my heels the first few times. I eventually figured out how to stay out of range of his giant fire attacks and how to goad him into flying up and attempting the easily avoided 'ass-drop' attack.

Spoiler:

There are two important pieces of loot in that area: The Peculiar Doll and the Rusted Ring. The doll opens up the Painted World and the ring is very useful in particular situations. If you did not get them, go back. You will need the key which is on top of a roof in Firelink.

RE: Heavyfeul spoiler
Already took care of that. I haven't left yet, I am doing a bunch of crow trades while i'm here.

Crow trading was in Demon's Souls, too. I haven't done it in either game yet, as it seems like a pain.