Dark Souls Catch-All

Kamakazi010654 wrote:

So my Drake sword is currently at 100/300 health and I am down in Blighttown with no way of getting repairs, is there a chance of it breaking or anything?

It certainly does less damage now.

You've already been to the two places they sell the Repair Box. I'd get that at your earliest opportunity.

Where in Blighttown are you? You could possibly exit through the "back door" and get to a repair box vendor pretty quickly.

Fedaykin98 wrote:
Kamakazi010654 wrote:

So my Drake sword is currently at 100/300 health and I am down in Blighttown with no way of getting repairs, is there a chance of it breaking or anything?

It certainly does less damage now.

You've already been to the two places they sell the Repair Box. I'd get that at your earliest opportunity.

Where in Blighttown are you? You could possibly exit through the "back door" and get to a repair box vendor pretty quickly.

I am at the bonfire in the swamps (just got there), I believe I am just around the corner from the boss fight.

You are, so I'd do that fight and then your next stop should be a repair box vendor.

But, you're also right next to the route to the back door.

I met Manus (DLC) today after the Texans game. He mopped the floor with me repeatedly.

I have thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed this DLC, especially the multiplayer aspects and the shortcut unlocking. There is some really great design going on.

heavyfeul wrote:

Take the path that leads up. With a scimitar you want block, avoid, and go for a backstab. Or, avoid and use the speed of your quick attack when an enemy is recovering. Try locking on and circle strafing when possible and drop your shield about 1 second before you try a backstab.

With shielded enemies, particularly spear wielders, you need to get a back stab, since the shield break move (kick) is replaced by a swiping backflip when using a scimitar.

Yeah I decided to take the high road (where the crow is perched) and using the skeleton encounter to get my combat basics down. I've managed to pull off one parry & riposte and it's awesome! Very hard to do consistently though and definitely not with 2 enemies bearing down on me.

Fedaykin98 wrote:

I started as a Wanderer and ended up a Sorceror.

What platform are you on, Maclintok?

I'm on 360. Noticed some poor framerate in the outdoor sections so far but otherwise been fine. Wondering when all the co-op/player invasion stuff starts?

Mac - that wasn't the route he meant.

Co-op starts after the next boss. Not 100% sure about invasions. You can only be invaded and summon co-op partners when you're in human form, FYI.

Y'all are making me want to start a second character for co-op possibilities. I feel like I could tear through a fair deal of the beginning now that I know the game well.

Fedaykin98 wrote:

I met Manus (DLC) today after the Texans game. He mopped the floor with me repeatedly.

I have thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed this DLC, especially the multiplayer aspects and the shortcut unlocking. There is some really great design going on.

Yeah, Manus is one tough cookie. I have yet to try going at him again, but the 5 or 6 tries I gave it only saw me getting close to beating him once, and it was the first attempt at that.

I agree; this is one hell of a piece of DLC. It's my favorite DLC/Expansion of this generation so far.

Getting a summon for Manus was the only way I got past him. The dragon from the DLC is the only boss in the game I haven't taken down yet. That guy is no joke.

On 360 there's lots of summoning activity for the dragon Kalameet, if only because the summoning area is cleverly shared with another boss. I played both fights as a phantom many times this weekend. Didn't really want the souls, just really enjoy co-op. When I was ready, I summoned two helpers for Kalameet myself, which seemed to be the norm. I also died the first time and had to try again.

Tonight I let Manus beat on me some more. Seems like a key is keeping your cool and very precisely dodging. However, when he casts, I seem to die immediately. I didn't see any summoning signs the one time I went to his door in human form.

With a couple people talking about being in the early game, I decided to take a vacation from getting ROFLstomped by rolling another character for the first time. I made a cleric. I thought I would blitz through much of the early game, and to a degree I did - experienced players can easily cut through most normal foes. However, I'd forgotten how frail you are in the beginning, and how poor your equipment is.

I spent a long time fighting Taurus Demon, who I'd beaten somewhat easily during my first playthrough. I couldn't get the timing on using a plunging attack on him right, and my regular hits did tiny bits of damage to him. After 10 minutes or so, I died. Since it was late, I logged. Another time!

Fedaykin98 wrote:

Mac - that wasn't the route he meant.

Co-op starts after the next boss. Not 100% sure about invasions. You can only be invaded and summon co-op partners when you're in human form, FYI.

Hah, well I just don't know yet. Where I was going, it just wasn't working. I was getting worked by those skeletons. Just when I was getting the knack of it, I'd move ahead and spawn another pair of them and to the dance all over again. Thankfully there are alternate paths in the game and I wandered up the hill to fight enemies that only take 1 or 2 hits to kill. Much better!

DSGamer wrote:

The Capra Demon plus his dogs ate destroying me. Like 20 times in a row. WTH?

That's normal. f*ck that guy.

Maclintok wrote:
Fedaykin98 wrote:

Mac - that wasn't the route he meant.

Co-op starts after the next boss. Not 100% sure about invasions. You can only be invaded and summon co-op partners when you're in human form, FYI.

Hah, well I just don't know yet. Where I was going, it just wasn't working. I was getting worked by those skeletons. Just when I was getting the knack of it, I'd move ahead and spawn another pair of them and to the dance all over again. Thankfully there are alternate paths in the game and I wandered up the hill to fight enemies that only take 1 or 2 hits to kill. Much better!

THAT'S the route he meant.

DSGamer wrote:

The Capra Demon plus his dogs ate destroying me. Like 20 times in a row. WTH?

One of 2 areas in the game that actually feels cheap. Pretty impressive, all things considered, but still extremely frustrating in those sections. I'd suggest looking up some tips or youtube videos to get the strategy. Then it's just a matter of trying until you get it. Gotta dodge past him and kill those dogs first.

The Capra Demon plus his dogs are destroying me. Like 20 times in a row. WTH?

If you are running around with unbuffed weapon (not Devine or whatnot) I suggest looking at the Gold Pine Resine, should you have problems finishing the dogs in one or two swings.

I went up against Capra yesterday on a fresh char (I cannot help myself starting new with other ideas D: ) and finished him for the first time on the first try. Knowing his modus operandi and what places you can and should not move to helps greatly. And a fast-ish weapon that packs a big of a punch ...

I have the Drake Sword. Not sure what pine resin does. I'll check that out. Thanks guys.

DSGamer wrote:

I have the Drake Sword. Not sure what pine resin does. I'll check that out. Thanks guys.

Ah, well the Drake Sword does not accept elemental buffs.

My advice if is to not lock on at first, run left towards the stairs and up. You can go all the way up and over the little ledge. The dogs are faster so they will get to you first and you can attack them.

It used to be that Capra would not follow you up there but that seems to have changed in Prepare to Die Edition, so you still have to keep an eye out for his leaping attacks.

He is a big poophead regardless. He's supposed to be.

The souls recovering bit... When I buy the farm and I get back to my green Souls pile in one piece to recover 100% of my souls, yes? But if I die again before recovering, I get the "Blood Loss!" message. I get to pick up my souls at the new location where I died but lose a % of total souls from that drop?

Just haven't been paying close attention to my souls tally. After getting killed by the 2nd boss I didn't have time to run back from the bonfire to get them.

Maclintok wrote:

The souls recovering bit... When I buy the farm and I get back to my green Souls pile in one piece to recover 100% of my souls, yes? But if I die again before recovering, I get the "Blood Loss!" message. I get to pick up my souls at the new location where I died but lose a % of total souls from that drop?

Just haven't been paying close attention to my souls tally. After getting killed by the 2nd boss I didn't have time to run back from the bonfire to get them.

Any souls you don't make it back to you lose.

Maclintok wrote:

The souls recovering bit... When I buy the farm and I get back to my green Souls pile in one piece to recover 100% of my souls, yes? But if I die again before recovering, I get the "Blood Loss!" message. I get to pick up my souls at the new location where I died but lose a % of total souls from that drop?

Just haven't been paying close attention to my souls tally. After getting killed by the 2nd boss I didn't have time to run back from the bonfire to get them.

Blood Loss = bleeding, not lost souls.

When you die, 100% of your souls are left where you died. If you don't recover them before you die again, they're gone. What souls you did have will now be left at the spot of your new death.

Don't worry too much about losing your souls. The amount you lose at the beginning is trivial and it will happen all the time. It's just part of the process.

imbiginjapan wrote:
DSGamer wrote:

I have the Drake Sword. Not sure what pine resin does. I'll check that out. Thanks guys.

Ah, well the Drake Sword does not accept elemental buffs.

Is there a better weapon that will? Do I need to grind and upgrade a standard sword? I'm one of the magical classes (cleric?) that starts off with access to Soul Arrows and other magic. It's useless in that fight as far as I can tell. There is a spell to enchant my right hand weapon, but it requires that I have a magic shield and I haven't found that yet.

My advice if is to not lock on at first, run left towards the stairs and up. You can go all the way up and over the little ledge. The dogs are faster so they will get to you first and you can attack them.

I've tried that. About 20 times. I get killed before I make it to the left. The weird part is that since I'm the class I am my armor is nothing. I wear cloth. So I'm not being weighed down by that. But I never make it to those stairs without getting killed first.

It used to be that Capra would not follow you up there but that seems to have changed in Prepare to Die Edition, so you still have to keep an eye out for his leaping attacks.

He is a big poophead regardless. He's supposed to be.

Yeah, it sucks. I feel as well that this is the first fight that isn't "fair". That it's a bit of a cheat to have him so ready to attack and so close to the door.

The benefits of the Drake Sword early on outweigh the fact that it can't be buffed. That said, you CAN enchant your right hand weapon right now, you just need to put your casting weapon (catalyst in this case?) in your left hand. It still won't work for the Drake Sword, but for future reference.

Capra Demon just sucks though. On my 3rd play through I still took a dozen tries to kill him. He's a reasonably challenging boss on his own, the small room and stupid dogs make it ridiculous.

SixteenBlue wrote:

The benefits of the Drake Sword early on outweigh the fact that it can't be buffed. That said, you CAN enchant your right hand weapon right now, you just need to put your casting weapon (catalyst in this case?) in your left hand. It still won't work for the Drake Sword, but for future reference.

Capra Demon just sucks though. On my 3rd play through I still took a dozen tries to kill him. He's a reasonably challenging boss on his own, the small room and stupid dogs make it ridiculous.

I feel like the Capra Deomon is a pretty serious weed out boss, would love to see how many people stop playing at that point

Kamakazi010654 wrote:
SixteenBlue wrote:

The benefits of the Drake Sword early on outweigh the fact that it can't be buffed. That said, you CAN enchant your right hand weapon right now, you just need to put your casting weapon (catalyst in this case?) in your left hand. It still won't work for the Drake Sword, but for future reference.

Capra Demon just sucks though. On my 3rd play through I still took a dozen tries to kill him. He's a reasonably challenging boss on his own, the small room and stupid dogs make it ridiculous.

I feel like the Capra Deomon is a pretty serious weed out boss, would love to see how many people stop playing at that point

"The real Dark Souls starts here."

DSG - Soul Arrow = Sorceror. I was a Sorc with Drake Sword vs Capra, and it took a ton of tries.

What I did was go in with my sword equipped - and FYI I always have my Catalyst in the same hand as my sword, so I can cast and still use a shield. Initially, I evaded to the right, even though I wanted to get to the stairs on the left. So I maneuvered around to the right, not attempting to attack, then ran up the stairs. I killed the dogs and then switched to my catalyst. At that point I started a loop of shooting Capra Demon when I have time, and then when he comes up the stairs (which he has always done, it's not new), jump down, back up, heal if needed. Wait for him to come down, then run back up the stairs and cast again. If you run out of spells, you'll have to go back to your sword, but I would keep going up the stairs to buy time to heal.

It sucks! Worst fight in the game so far, and I've only got two bosses left including the DLC. If you we're on 360, I'd try to catch up with my new character and help.

Having your humanity intact and the ability to summon is the easiest way to beat the Capra. Either way you need to survive the initial rush...

The key moment is the rush at the beginning immediately after clearing the fog gate. You do want to make directly for the stairs, but you want to get there by going right first. Whether you are taking him on alone or with helpful phantoms, as soon as you enter, you want to roll right to get under the columned archway and get your shield up. Continue to strafe right and work around to the back of the demon, then make a run for the stairs. Hopefully you can then take out the dogs before the Capra comes after you, if not (and you are still alive) drop down and continue to use the stairs until the dogs are dead, then use them again to avoid the Capra. If he ever comes at you without going up the stairs, then you can use a plunging attack.

It really does take some tense skill to beat the Capra, but I found going right first had a better survival rate for me than trying to push left.

A good pre-plan is to upgrade your gear as much as possible at the blacksmith in the Undead Parish. A high stability shield (Heater, Tower Kite, Knight, Balder) will help a lot and standard swords work well. I suggest swords, just because they are the perfect middle of the road weapon; they have good damage, speed of attack, and they do not consume too much stamina. The Drake Sword (requires a Wiki check to learn how to get) works the best. Its attacks are very fast for how strong they are.

Helping people with the Bell Gargoyles can provide a lot of souls for upgrading and leveling before the Capra. A have tanked the Capra with a knight before, but it took a lot of soul farming in the Undead Parish beforehand.

EDIT: Fed. posted the same advice, while I was posting mine. Great minds.

Ha! Consensus is a wonderful thing.

Also, DSG, be aware that when Capra puts his swords together and gets ready to do a two-handed baseball swing at you - your shield is not going to help. You have to get away from that. Now, if you're trying to constantly avoid him the way we're describing, it shouldn't be an issue.

And finally, this is one of the crappiest parts of the game. It really opens up in the future, and you have multiple options of where to go. Buy some de-cursing stones from the top of the gargoyles' bell tower before heading to the Depths.

There's a lot more fun exploration ahead. Go carefully, and have fun! Don't sweat losing souls - I had over 100k this weekend with nothing I really wanted to do with them. I just bought a bunch of Twinkling Titanite from the Parish blacksmith just to invest them in something solid that I couldn't lose.

I really dislike how the 2 worst parts of the game (in my opinion) are both bottlenecks. Difficult to go do other things and come back when you're stronger.

What's the other "worst" part, btw?

Fedaykin98 wrote:

What's the other "worst" part, btw?

Archers

Dyni wrote:
Fedaykin98 wrote:

What's the other "worst" part, btw?

Archers

Yeah the combination of the archers + S&O. More so in NG+ than in a first play through.