Dark Souls Catch-All

ibdoomed wrote:
SixteenBlue wrote:
ibdoomed wrote:
SixteenBlue wrote:

Huh, it's not next-gen. Kind of makes me want to get it on PC then.

How advanced do you want it to be? PC is 10 generations beyond consoles...

Let's not ruin this thread with this kind of stuff.

Then stop trolling? Goddamn this forum. Whatever.

Calm down please.

Sixteen has a valid point. If it's only on PS3/360, and the previous game had a lot of stutter and slowdown in certain areas, then getting it on PC makes the most sense, to avoid slowdown. That's all.

He wasn't trying to start a PC>console war or anything else. Just stating a personal preference to grab it on PC since it's apparently going to be available at or near the same release date this time around. You're the one who started the argument. And you're trying to start it again by calling him a troll and swearing. Please stop.

Dyni wrote:
Gimpy_Butzke wrote:

I just beat the last boss I had left in the DLC with my lvl 5 Knight!

Congrats, man. That is one hell of an accomplishment.

Yeah makes my platinum trophy feel kinda unimpressive.

Not that I want them to put trophies in the next one for low-level runs... because I'd have to go after them...

Stay on topic. - Certis

SixteenBlue wrote:

Huh, it's not next-gen. Kind of makes me want to get it on PC then.

I wouldn't bet on this, but it's possible they're concurrently developing for the next Xbox along with the PC version. I mean, they couldn't say in the announcement "Coming to XBox Whatevs!" if the Whatevs hasn't been revealed.

If MS goes with the Whatevs as the name I want credit.

I'm done with the lvl 5 Knight.

The last boss was tougher than I expected. I had to fight him about 4 or 5 times to get the win. His attacks are really strong, even with almost fully upgraded armor. He has one move that completely drained my stamina and stunned me. If I was stunned that was the end of the fight because the following attacks were just as strong as the last 3 bosses I fought except his attacks were much faster.

In case anyone doesn't know any strategies for fighting the final boss I will just say that I was doing about 550 per attack, but if I had made a mistake while attacking I would be very lucky to survive the fight.

I don't know if I should level this character now.

I just hope they do something other than GFWL this time. The PC version was much nicer graphically with the fixes, but the summoning was not as reliable as the console versions.

Stele wrote:

voice of reason

Thanks. That's exactly right.

blind_evil, that's a good point. I'm also not upset at all about the idea of playing it on current gen, I'm sure it'll be amazing no matter what.

kadayi wrote:
ibdoomed wrote:

Please be pc.
Please be pc.
Please be pc.

360, PS3 & PC

Result. Guess the PC sales convinced. :)

That really is good news. I'm not all that far into Dark Souls but will definitely buy this on release day... despite the fact that Sen's is making me yell at my monitor.

Blind_Evil wrote:

I wouldn't bet on this, but it's possible they're concurrently developing for the next Xbox along with the PC version. I mean, they couldn't say in the announcement "Coming to XBox Whatevs!" if the Whatevs hasn't been revealed.

If MS goes with the Whatevs as the name I want credit.

Good point, I'm going to hope that it's for the Whatevs and they just can't announce that yet.

In my dream world, the Whatevs launches around September-October of 2013 and Dark Souls II is a holiday title.

Some more info

I'm a little worried:

“I personally am the sort of person who likes to be more direct than subtle,” he tells us. “[Dark Souls II] will be more straightforward and more understandable.”

Yeah, that's a bit disheartening. I'm going to buy anyway, I need to find out for myself. But Dark Souls is beloved enough that if it isn't good enough or similar enough the internet outrage will get way, way entertaining and out of hand.

SixteenBlue wrote:

Some more info

I'm a little worried:

“I personally am the sort of person who likes to be more direct than subtle,” he tells us. “[Dark Souls II] will be more straightforward and more understandable.”

There's a LOT of room for it to be less subtle and still be mysteriously awesome. Practically nothing is explained in Dark Souls.

Fedaykin98 wrote:
SixteenBlue wrote:

Some more info

I'm a little worried:

“I personally am the sort of person who likes to be more direct than subtle,” he tells us. “[Dark Souls II] will be more straightforward and more understandable.”

There's a LOT of room for it to be less subtle and still be mysteriously awesome. Practically nothing is explained in Dark Souls.

That's one of my favorite things about it though.

I don't doubt it will be awesome. And blind_evil is right, any change made will result in really entertaining outrage.

Yeah, that could mean anything from "there will be a single linear path through the game" to "we will have a tooltip explaining what the stat scaling letters on weapons means".

There's also plenty of room for translational/ESOL differences with words like that.

Yeah that could be more story cutscenes. Or maybe some type of journal where you can read what people have said, and piece things together. Lots of subtle things that could be done to explain the story a bit more. Hell even an in-game map would be more "understandable."

It doesn't mean it's going to have a quest, and waypoint system with a linear forced story or something crazy like that. They're not going to turn it into a straight RPG.

Stele wrote:

Yeah that could be more story cutscenes. Or maybe some type of journal where you can read what people have said, and piece things together. Lots of subtle things that could be done to explain the story a bit more. Hell even an in-game map would be more "understandable."

It doesn't mean it's going to have a quest, and waypoint system with a linear forced story or something crazy like that. They're not going to turn it into a straight RPG.

I think having Journals of the Undead or something that you could find would be super awesome with notes and things and like hand drawn partial maps. There are really fun things they could do with that which would still fit in the world of dark souls and enhance it

Is it possible/advisible to grind titanite chunks from lower new londo before Smough & Ornstein? I've gone through a new file thus far with a Claymore and I'd like to get it to +5 lightning before I face them if possible

It's possible, but isn't really necessary. There are times when I get plenty of drops but getting enough to get a weapon to +5 Lightning might take a long time.

Gimpy_Butzke wrote:

It's possible, but isn't really necessary. There are times when I get plenty of drops but getting enough to get a weapon to +5 Lightning might take a long time.

Fair enough - I decided to see how far I could get played a two handed deprived without leveling up. I hadn't counted this greatly reducing the number of co-op partners going forward. I still may end up leveling up but I just wanted to get whatever edge I could going into the boss fight.

Oh, if you're doing a low level run then farm as much as you want. There are times when it is vital to boost some equipment to gain the edge when fighting some bosses.

My low lvl character has roughly 30 hrs on it. At low level having strong gear can make all the difference, and sometimes you just need to get the damage boost of an upgrade to get you through.

Joystiq has a press release for DS2:

http://m.joystiq.com/2012/12/09/dark...

Only things that stood out to me are that the creator of the first two will still be involved in an oversight role, and the multiplayer will be server-based, which wasn't the case with Dark Souls (but was with DeS).

Back to servers, hell yes. That means people can force coop so much easier.

Stele wrote:

Back to servers, hell yes. That means people can force coop so much easier.

It also means it shouldn't be a struggle at all to find people to summon. That is such good news.

Edit: Here's a text blurb from the upcoming Edge cover:

Edge wrote:

An eternal battle rages at the heart of Dark Souls II. On one side stands the stern force of challenge, the very soul of the Souls series. It has inspired thousands of fans to hack their way through two of the most demanding and rewarding games of an era, fans who expect at least the same test on the next go around. On the other side is the bright promise of accessibility. And why not? Why shouldn’t FromSoftware and Namco Bandai open Souls up to a wider audience when it could otherwise be in danger of becoming stuck in a cult cul-de-sac?

There are many, after all, who have been put off by the series’ habit of obscuring its best assets from all but the most committed. Entire systems, such as Dark Souls’ covenants and Demon’s Souls’ World Tendency, remain mysteries to even reasonably experienced players – wouldn’t it be a service to the games to help everyone understand them better? On the other hand, isn’t the very nature of the Souls series about obfuscation and what it makes you work for? Aren’t its greatest pleasures about the slow crawl of discovery in a world that refuses easy interpretation? What would the series lose if it was made more explicit?

As we find out in issue 249, the answers to these questions are in the hands of game directors new to the Souls series, Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura, who have taken the reins from Hidetaka Miyazaki. Their descriptions of how they intend to mould Dark Souls II into a more approachable form seem reasonable. But Shibuya admits that their approach will be influenced by their individual characters. “I personally am the sort of person who likes to be more direct than subtle,” he tells us. “[Dark Souls II] will be more straightforward and more understandable.” We sympathise if that sort of statement concerns you, but at the same time, we can surely agree that we would all like to see Dark Souls attain as great a presence as The Elder Scrolls. How it gets there is a worthy matter for debate, but it’s certainly a noble task.

I don't want to be too cynical about this. I mean, I'm going to be buying this game Day 1 despite any potentially questionable design choices... but how can Dark Souls maintain the qualities that make it so engrossing to the types of gamers in this thread while striving to reach an Elder Scrolls sized audience?

The fact that you have to have a strategy guide or wiki to figure out all of those covenants and tendency things is definitely something that could be improved.

It's cool to have systems in place, but frustrating to not be able to get the information you need in-game anywhere.

And the way the tendency thing was affected by playing online was contradictory to the best part of the game: playing online, seeing ghosts, messages, etc.

Pretty sure I'll actually buy that issue of Edge. On iPad.

I'm really hoping they don't compromise the difficulty to bring more people in, nor add difficulty levels.

Fedaykin98 wrote:

Pretty sure I'll actually buy that issue of Edge. On iPad.

I still can't get behind the digital thing. My collection of paper EDGE magazines probably weighs 75 pounds at this point. But then again I would never read an iPad while having a soak.

imbiginjapan wrote:
Fedaykin98 wrote:

Pretty sure I'll actually buy that issue of Edge. On iPad.

I still can't get behind the digital thing. My collection of paper EDGE magazines probably weighs 75 pounds at this point. But then again I would never read an iPad while having a soak.

I'm not sure I own more than 12 magazines at this point, if you searched my entire house. It's not that I've been reading their digital formats, I've just been reading websites instead. But for this story, I'll pay a few bucks.

My hope is that they give us a means to discover information about the world through the world, but in a way that still requires some effort and thought. Even if your first task in the game is finding the "Book of Souls" (in game strategy guide). I would rather see something where important info is scattered throughout the world in messages or collectable notes from your undead brethren, but done by the game makers, not other players.

When it comes down to it, I just do not want them to break the spell the game puts you under. Too much hand holding and exposition could ruin that.

heavyfeul wrote:

My hope is that they give us a means to discover information about the world through the world, but in a way that still requires some effort and thought. Even if your first task in the game is finding the "Book of Souls" (in game strategy guide). I would rather see something where important info is scattered throughout the world in messages or collectable notes from your undead brethren, but done by the game makers, not other players.

When it comes down to it, I just do not want them to break the spell the game puts you under. Too much hand holding and exposition could ruin that.

Totally agree. The obtuseness is a big factor in the charm and appeal. I really liked how it felt like the entire community was exploring together. It was almost like an ARG.

SixteenBlue wrote:

Totally agree. The obtuseness is a big factor in the charm and appeal. I really liked how it felt like the entire community was exploring together. It was almost like an ARG.

+1

Most games strive to push all the features at the gamer in a short space of time, while Dark Souls is content to let you discover them on your own, and I think the overall experience is all the richer for it.

One example of this is how they handled co-op mode. I'd imaging from certain quarters there would've been a lot of pressure to add 'Co-op' to the main menu, yet they put the single player perspective first, reinforcing that its 'your' character's story and though you can play through it with friends, the game ultimately retains its single player narrative, which I like a lot.

Given that Dark Souls has been hugely successful I am cautiously optimistic that the unique characteristics of the Souls series are not going to be changed significantly.

For example I don't expect to see some kind of dedicated co-op mode or a guided tutorial tour of covenants. For one, those components are the identity of the game. For two, it's Japanese. I am aware that the reins are changing somewhat but regardless the Japanese development process in general is far more likely to iterate within an established series than significantly break the mold in a sequel when that mold has proven successful. The dark side of that same Japanese development style is that if they do decide to monkey with things the likelihood of messing it big time is very high, so I'm not ready to jump off the Cliff of Happiness yet and will instead sit on the Ledge of Significant Interest.