Gaming Confessions & Blasphemy

EverythingsTentative wrote:

I like linear games.

If a story teller needs me to take a certain path, push a certain button, open a certain door in order to tell the story he wants to tell, I'm okay with that. No, I love that. As long as the mechanics are intriguing.

I don't need choice or a sandbox to enjoy a game. I can get just as much enjoyment out of a well told story.

Ämen!!

kexx wrote:
EverythingsTentative wrote:

I like linear games.

If a story teller needs me to take a certain path, push a certain button, open a certain door in order to tell the story he wants to tell, I'm okay with that. No, I love that. As long as the mechanics are intriguing.

I don't need choice or a sandbox to enjoy a game. I can get just as much enjoyment out of a well told story.

Ämen!!

Agreed. If that's blasphemy, then I'm a heathen.

My Gaming Confessions & Blasphemy blasphemy is that we've been recycling these conversations about Bioshock and how we actually like linearity about once every 12 pages.

kazooka wrote:

My Gaming Confessions & Blasphemy blasphemy is that we've been recycling these conversations about Bioshock and how we actually like linearity about once every 12 pages.

People like playing through the same general plot over and over as well.

There seems to be a lot of agreeing in general in this blasphemy thread. Which I admittedly have not read all of.

EverythingsTentative wrote:

There seems to be a lot of agreeing in general in this blasphemy thread. Which I admittedly have not read all of.

I disagree :p

The skimming thing happens in all lengthy threads, and once that happens it's almost a guarantee that "Hey what's going on in this thread? I'll just quickly add my 2 penneth worth" happens too.

I'm not so sure this thread is about being contrary, but more just generally things you disagree with. There's a whole bunch of 'accepted wisdom' that BS when you think about it for more than two seconds.

Blasphemy is only blasphemy until 10% of the population decide it isn't blasphemy anymore, then it's a new religion.

Tower defense might be my favorite game genre.

I've put an embarrassingly large number of hours into tower defense games over the years and my current obsession, Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten is no exception. Give me endless streams of enemies and things that shoot them and I'm happy.

kexx wrote:
EverythingsTentative wrote:

I like linear games.

If a story teller needs me to take a certain path, push a certain button, open a certain door in order to tell the story he wants to tell, I'm okay with that. No, I love that. As long as the mechanics are intriguing.

I don't need choice or a sandbox to enjoy a game. I can get just as much enjoyment out of a well told story.

Ämen!!

I have no beef with linear games, when I'm in the mood for it, but I'm rarely in the mood for it lately. It seems the more involved with my own life I get, the less I care about story in a game and the more I want to just do my own things.

Linearity also only applies to certain types of games; it's hard to apply the concept to, say, Simcity or Dwarf Fortress. I tend to think of some games as being better as linear experiences, some as open-world games, and some as something else entirely.

TheHipGamer wrote:

Linearity also only applies to certain types of games; it's hard to apply the concept to, say, Simcity or Dwarf Fortress. I tend to think of some games as being better as linear experiences, some as open-world games, and some as something else entirely.

I agree, some games are just designed to be linear experiences, and I have no problem accepting that conceit when the game is upfront about it.

On the other hand, linearity can frustrate me when I feel like I should be able to do something different. This typically only occurs for me when linear sections are wedged into otherwise non-linear games: e.g., a generally open world game with sealed up linear "mission areas," cutscenes in which scripted events occur that seem to defy or ignore the capabilities my character has already displayed, obvious (to me) interaction options which are simply missing in a branching story game, etc.

I love linear games as well. I only like games with lots of freedom if my choices are pretty well defined and if I have some direction; dumping me into a sandbox makes my brain go NOPE NOPE NOPE.

gore wrote:

On the other hand, linearity can frustrate me when I feel like I should be able to do something different. This typically only occurs for me when linear sections are wedged into otherwise non-linear games: e.g., a generally open world game with sealed up linear "mission areas," cutscenes in which scripted events occur that seem to defy or ignore the capabilities my character has already displayed, obvious (to me) interaction options which are simply missing in a branching story game, etc.

That reminded me of the TotalBiscuit video/rant about the latest Medal of honor, where it gives you a lot of confusing messages about being linear/open.

I guess it's badly done linear/open games that suck. Who knew?

Demyx wrote:

Dumping me into a sandbox makes my brain go NOPE NOPE NOPE.

IMAGE(http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m243esqBoU1r4kc4so1_250.gif)

I Can't Bring Myself to Play Any More Walking Dead

I must be close to the end of the second episode. And I think it's a great game. But every time I think about playing it I just don't want to go back to that horrible world to make more horrible decisions that I just know will end horribly for some or all of my people. Probably doesn't help that I have a 5.5 year-old daughter and anything that involves child endangerment just makes my insides twist.

TWD is definitely a game you need to be in the right head space to take on.

I knew it was going to be a GOTY candidate for me after only the 2nd Ep. and I purchased every new Ep. on launch day.

In spite of that there were times when I wouldn't touch a new Ep. for a week or two after purchase 'cause I just wasn't up to it mentally/emotionally.

lostlobster wrote:

I Can't Bring Myself to Play Any More Walking Dead

I must be close to the end of the second episode. And I think it's a great game. But every time I think about playing it I just don't want to go back to that horrible world to make more horrible decisions that I just know will end horribly for some or all of my people. Probably doesn't help that I have a 5.5 year-old daughter and anything that involves child endangerment just makes my insides twist.

This game frustrates me to no end. It's incredibly well done, and I really appreciate the craftsmanship, but man, I am so sick of zombies.

I'm glad that this is the game Telltale made, because the license is surely what moved a ton of copies. But now that they've got a success like this under their belts, I really hope they can take the core design elements of TWD and put them in a setting that's more compelling.

I, too, am sick as sh*t of zombies, but I feel TWD is a reassertion of the truism that anything can be compelling when it's done well.

lostlobster wrote:

I Can't Bring Myself to Play Any More Walking Dead

I must be close to the end of the second episode. And I think it's a great game. But every time I think about playing it I just don't want to go back to that horrible world to make more horrible decisions that I just know will end horribly for some or all of my people. Probably doesn't help that I have a 5.5 year-old daughter and anything that involves child endangerment just makes my insides twist.

If you feel that way in Episode 2, then you really shouldn't play episode 3.

No, seriously. I'm not picking on you. As awesome as the games are, I had to put it down for a week or so after finishing episode 3 because it was so emotionally grueling. I've only just started episode 4.

I'm not sick of zombies. Then again, I haven't gone out and said "oh it's got zombies in it, so it's instantly better," and then just grabbed everything zombie related. At least zombies offer some creative freedom compared to WWII games. I never liked WWII games, though.

mrtomaytohead wrote:

I'm not sick of zombies. Then again, I haven't gone out and said "oh it's got zombies in it, so it's instantly better," and then just grabbed everything zombie related. At least zombies offer some creative freedom compared to WWII games. I never liked WWII games, though.

What about WWII zombie games?!

I must be a horrible human being because I played all five episodes in the span of three days.

kazooka wrote:

My Gaming Confessions & Blasphemy blasphemy is that we've been recycling these conversations about Bioshock and how we actually like linearity about once every 12 pages.

Do you know the definition of insanity?

alexjg42 wrote:
kazooka wrote:

My Gaming Confessions & Blasphemy blasphemy is that we've been recycling these conversations about Bioshock and how we actually like linearity about once every 12 pages.

Do you know the definition of insanity?

Liking FF8?

alexjg42 wrote:
kazooka wrote:

My Gaming Confessions & Blasphemy blasphemy is that we've been recycling these conversations about Bioshock and how we actually like linearity about once every 12 pages.

Do you know the definition of insanity?

That's easy - The Internet.

alexjg42 wrote:
kazooka wrote:

My Gaming Confessions & Blasphemy blasphemy is that we've been recycling these conversations about Bioshock and how we actually like linearity about once every 12 pages.

Do you know the definition of insanity?

Thinking that Through the Looking Glass quotes are the cutting edge of allegory?

Quintin_Stone wrote:
alexjg42 wrote:
kazooka wrote:

My Gaming Confessions & Blasphemy blasphemy is that we've been recycling these conversations about Bioshock and how we actually like linearity about once every 12 pages.

Do you know the definition of insanity?

Liking FF8?

Although this is really common belief and not blasphemy, I'm going to say +1 to this.

FF Quality: 6>4>1>8>5>2>3>7

I stopped at 8 because they were going too JPop and away from fantasy after that.

Keithustus wrote:

FF Quality: 6>4>1>8>5>2>3>7

I stopped at 8 because they were going too JPop and away from fantasy after that.

Ironic, considering IX.

Also, I dunno about that ranking man. I have to think you have some kind of personal issue with VII to rank it below II and III. They were real stinkers.

Keithustus wrote:

FF Quality: 6>4>1>8>5>2>3>7

I stopped at 8 because they were going too JPop and away from fantasy after that.

yes! YES!! A THOUSAND TIMES YES!!!.....but only to the first 2 spots.

I'm more of the thinking of:

6>sliced bread>4>7>8>10>9>5

I held a bit longer, thanks to 9 returning to form, but I hated being introduced to the main villain in the last battle. But it's been years for me, so I really have to be fair and give it a chance again. I'm pretty sure it would rank higher. But yes, I also quit after it went too JPop for my tastes. Whoever designed the clothing for FF10 can go f*ck his own face.

I really liked FF12, but to my perception, it has nothing to do with FF. It felt really disengaged to the franchise, if that makes any sense. It really felt different than the rest, even with the prelude and chocobos. I liked it, but it should've been a different, separate IP, and it would've done better in my opinion.

Blasphemy? Never played 1, 2, or 3.