Gaming Confessions & Blasphemy

I read that the Vita release addressed a lot of the issues the Wii version had. But like I said, I haven't booted it yet, so I can't say. I know a couple folks here have played and enjoyed it on Vita.

Minarchist wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:

I'm curious... but can we at least agree Hope and Lightning are weird names for characters? I own it even (well my wife did, so I guess half the disc is mine now)... so it wouldn't be any skin off my back to try it after I finish Dishonored.

Not in the context of the game. Lightning changed her own name (her real name is often conjectured but never revealed), and she waxes philosophically on why she chose it and its meaning. I know a few people named Hope in real life, and his name is also used as a character development and plot point as well. This is not uncommon in storytelling. There's a reason it's Gordon Freeman, or The Truman Show. :)

Wait, so I can't change their names? What kind of FF Game is this?

I suppose I see your point, but it just struck me as crazy JRPG. I dunno, I haven't played an FF outside of the Tactics series since 8 (which I generally enjoyed, except the draining magic system which was kind of an annoying grind for spells all the time... especially when stats were tied to those spells so they weren't even usable without taking a hit to your total health or attack power)...but I may give it a try, my wife tried it but got bored with it after a while, but she's more a free-spirit wandering gamer (see Fallout and Skyrim) so this wasn't really her normal cup of tea to begin with. Might give it a try if I have time with various DLC coming out for the games I've got already that I'm more excited for.

Funny.. I couldn't get into Little King Story because of its muddy graphics...

ccesarano wrote:

As opposed to trying to support a dying company that has tried to publish interesting niche games that studios like EA or Activision won't touch with a ten foot pole, or if they do they try to figure out how to shove multiplayer and shooting mechanics in there?

That kind of faceless megacorp?

I mean criminy. I thought it was bad when Steam had the Humble EA Bundle, but at least THQ is in financial trouble, has tried to make good and interesting games, and needs the money so they can put out games like South Park: The Stick of Truth, Saint's Row 4, Company of Heroes 2, etc. and so on.

I'm a fan of what Humble Bundle is trying to do, but prefer to see them doing more Indie/Book/Music/Android/whatever bundles and letting a larger developer/publisher like THQ just do this kind of sale through Steam. To me, this current bundle is basically a glorified "name your price" Steam sale, with the option to split your payment between THQ, Child's Play, Red Cross, and HumbleBundle.

Its great seeing them bring in $3.5m in sales, but how much of that is going to THQ?

Yes, I hate seeing THQ going through the financial difficulties they're having right now, but I agree with most financial analysts and gaming journos that this is probably close to the end for THQ. Looking back, my take on THQ is that they have historically been a company pushing out also-ran copy-cats and branded tie-in shovelware with some gems sprinkled in - and most of those gems are either in this bundle, or were games that THQ acted as publisher, not developer (such as Stacking). Their stock has been in the toilet for the last year, and steadily declining since the end of 2008. Even the reverse split in July hasn't stemmed the tide, and unfortunately that's a problem with being public - your mission goes from making money by delivering great games, to improving your shareholders' value.

Heck, judging by the past, what worked best to deliver shareholder value WAS licensed shovelware, and when they lost the Disney license at the beginning of the year, loads of people were foretelling this exact story that we've seen play out.

And what's the best case scenario from this HumbleBundle? THQ makes enough from this bundle to hold on and push out CoH2, Metro: Last Light, or Saint's Row 4, and gets to show their current and future investors that they know how to survive on awesome niche games. I'd love to see them prove me wrong.

So maybe that's my confession and blasphemy for today. The last THQ game I played was one of the WWF games on Playstation back in 2001.

Crap. D@mnit ccesarano, now you've made me think really hard about this, and I pulled the trigger again on the bundle - at the default split.

I don't let graphics get in the way if a game is trying to do something unique and fresh (Deadly Premonition, Minecraft, etc.). However, if a title is muscling to simply be more of the same of what is already out there and falls down in the presentation dept., we have a problem.

Yes, I'm a Graphics Whore and I'm proud of it. Seeing the bar raised both between and within console generations pleases me to no end. I fondly remember having my mind blown by Dead Space, Far Cry 2, DiRT, etc. Heck, even the transition from Oblivion to Skyrim got me all hot and bothered.

I'm able to contextualize what is being presented. I still love retro gaming and fully appreciate what smaller-budget XBLA titles have to offer on that scale.

But man, I'm a sucker for a pretty face.

Dakuna wrote:
kexx wrote:

Never played Halo's, COD's, Battlefields, MOH's, WOW's, MMO's, Skyrim, Diablos, Star Wars, and never plan to.

I was going to ask you to marry me... then you said this. I shall see you in hell, sir :)

Makes you wonder what games he HAS played doesn't it?

Coolbeans wrote:
Dakuna wrote:
kexx wrote:

Never played Halo's, COD's, Battlefields, MOH's, WOW's, MMO's, Skyrim, Diablos, Star Wars, and never plan to.

I was going to ask you to marry me... then you said this. I shall see you in hell, sir :)

Makes you wonder what games he HAS played doesn't it?

Portal 2, just Portal 2.

MrWaterhandle wrote:

I thought Portal 1 dragged a little it by the end, even though I usually call it perfect. I think it was just because I expected the behind the scenes stuff to be very near the ending or something, and I didn't enjoy these as much as the clean testchambers. Actually this is somewhat of a minor complaint.

I'll go even further and say that I thought that part of Portal was straight-up bad. Almost all of the cool puzzles from the test chambers went away and it became a game of "find the portalable wall".

Also, I was never able to get into Bastion or Superbrothers S&S. I may give Bastion another shot sometime because I don't feel like I stuck with it long enough to make an informed decision, but I played a fair amount of Superbrothers and I just don't get why people like that game.

nemebean wrote:
MrWaterhandle wrote:

I thought Portal 1 dragged a little it by the end, even though I usually call it perfect. I think it was just because I expected the behind the scenes stuff to be very near the ending or something, and I didn't enjoy these as much as the clean testchambers. Actually this is somewhat of a minor complaint.

I'll go even further and say that I thought that part of Portal was straight-up bad. Almost all of the cool puzzles from the test chambers went away and it became a game of "find the portalable wall".

I have the same issue with Portal, although I still find it to be an incredible game. It seems like at some point they ran out of new ways to make puzzles without creating really tight constraints on where you could place portals, which really killed the fun. In a way this complaint equates to "the game is too long," which is pretty funny for such a short game.

Also, I was never able to get into Bastion or Superbrothers S&S. I may give Bastion another shot sometime because I don't feel like I stuck with it long enough to make an informed decision, but I played a fair amount of Superbrothers and I just don't get why people like that game.

I find Bastion really boring and incredibly overrated. It feels a little like old Zelda games, but without the fun puzzles that made them work. For me, the level design just misses the mark - always some variant of "walk down corridor and bash stuff."

I enjoy the narration in Bastion and I feel like the actual story might have gone somewhere interesting, but I couldn't suffer through the gameplay.

I don't think Bastion is bad at all, it just got overhyped. Everyone talks about the narrator, but gameplay isn't really brought up. It's a short game I played through, and then moved on to other games.

tuffalobuffalo wrote:
Coolbeans wrote:
Dakuna wrote:
kexx wrote:

Never played Halo's, COD's, Battlefields, MOH's, WOW's, MMO's, Skyrim, Diablos, Star Wars, and never plan to.

I was going to ask you to marry me... then you said this. I shall see you in hell, sir :)

Makes you wonder what games he HAS played doesn't it?

Portal 2, just Portal 2. :D

Hahahaha. Touché, my friend. I've sadly abandoned chamber making on Portal 2 for some reason. The GWJ competition slowly dying off had a large part to do with it. I'm now currently doing a Mass Effect run, and if not, I invest my time on TF2 with the GWJ family. I might revisit some of my PS3 games. Haven't used it in a while. Been meaning to play Batman AA and AC again.

This thread is tl;dr, sorry if this has already been hashed out in previous pages.

I wasn't impressed with FF7. It was boring and emotionally unmoving to me. I found Aeris' sappy, overly-winsome ideal-girl trope incredibly annoying. And Tifa's "I'm a tough girl, pay attention to meeee" incredibly annoying. I kind of hoped those two would finally duke it out at some point and roll off a cliff together because they were such uninteresting love-interests. At least one of them got offed.

I think I was let down because it was the next game I played just after coming off the high of playing FF 6/3 several times. It just wasn't up to it's predecessor's stuff.

Oh, I've got a good one for me based on someone mentioning Symphony of the Night!

All the exploration based Castlevanias are worse than the original, linear platformer ones. I love platformers and always loved the unique mechanics Castlevania approached them with. But every time I've tried to play the "MetroidVania" Castlevania titles, I end up getting lost, backtracking a ton, stuck having no idea where I have to go and usually ending up with a crap ending that's apparently like 20% through the game without warning because I didn't do enough of the things I was never told about. I know a lot of people like this design idea but I can't stand it and I'll take another linear platformer Castlevania over one of these games any day.

kexx wrote:
tuffalobuffalo wrote:
Coolbeans wrote:
Dakuna wrote:
kexx wrote:

Never played Halo's, COD's, Battlefields, MOH's, WOW's, MMO's, Skyrim, Diablos, Star Wars, and never plan to.

I was going to ask you to marry me... then you said this. I shall see you in hell, sir :)

Makes you wonder what games he HAS played doesn't it?

Portal 2, just Portal 2. :D

Hahahaha. Touché, my friend. I've sadly abandoned chamber making on Portal 2 for some reason. The GWJ competition slowly dying off had a large part to do with it. I'm now currently doing a Mass Effect run, and if not, I invest my time on TF2 with the GWJ family. I might revisit some of my PS3 games. Haven't used it in a while. Been meaning to play Batman AA and AC again.

It's always a good thing to know which games don't work for you but it is occasionally worth trying out a genre or series you're convinced you won't like. I'd have bet good money on me hating AC's multiplayer or the Dragon Age series. I gave them a try and, it turns out, I love them and they've given me a ton unforgettable game play moments I'd have missed otherwise.

I have never played a Zelda , Mario , Kid Icarus, or Metroid game, and I think they are kind of childish and silly.
Hey I'm happy if you like them, and I don't think you are silly for liking them, the cartoony games just don't appeal to me.

Whenever I play an MMO, I almost always play a female character so I get a good butt shot while playing.
I'm not the only one on this.

I hate multiplayer in all its forms and shapes.
...and on that note...

Single player for Halo, CoD, Battlefield, and every other shooter is overrated.
not really controversial, but it is basically whack a mole against brown people.

As much as I enjoyed Mass Effect 3 (ie, a lot), I think I had more fun with my hours of FTL
Maybe it's just an immediate gratification thing, and the fact that ME3 was in the beginning of the year. But FTL has just amount of pure short term adrenaline to keep me going.

I couldn't care less about getting another console. PC gaming 4 life.
After my 360 broke, I saw no reason to pick up another console game. Sure I missed out on Red Dead, but the quality gap for console ports has dropped dramatically, and I'd rather invest in a good PC gamepad at this point.

As much as Baldur's Gate 2 remains my favorite game ever, I can't go back to playing it.
Too little time available to invest in another campaign, my tastes have changed towards easier/more straightforward games (Dragon Age 1&2), and yes it's aged a bit and doesn't look as good as it used to (the soundtrack, however, remains perfect).

Budo wrote:

Whenever I play an MMO...

I hate multiplayer in all its forms and shapes.

I haz a confuse.

Whenever I play an MMO, I almost always play a female character so I get a good butt shot while playing.

This was true of all of my characters except one, my Dranei Shammy in WoW. The tail was a weird and there was something about their females (may have been the hooves) that was just weird to the point of freaking me out. The males weren't much better, but I had enjoyed a Shammy when I was Horde and our guild needed one, so I rolled a guy for that one. My previous main (human priest) and every alt (Human Paladin, Gnome Warlock) were females.

Budo wrote:

Whenever I play an MMO, I almost always play a female character so I get a good butt shot while playing.
I'm not the only one on this.

I do this too, in most 3rd person games. I wouldn't necessarily say "I like the butt shots," but women just plain look better than men, whether in meatspace or in pixels. That there's a fact.

Especially if half of a game is basically dressing up virtual dolls (which, you know, is what most MMOs are), the last thing I want to do is to dress up a man. I mean, I do that every day. It's called "getting dressed."

I do wish character gender mattered in some other ways. For most games it's just a texture/model swap.

I do wish character gender mattered in some other ways. For most games it's just a texture/model swap.

Fallout 3? You got special seduction texts for your character that could change up quests occasionally. I don't, however, think they should change things in terms of like carrying capacity, intelligence/wisdom of character, etc... or affect the actual gameplay mechanics, as that really comes off kind of sexist then.

Demosthenes wrote:
I do wish character gender mattered in some other ways. For most games it's just a texture/model swap.

Fallout 3? You got special seduction texts for your character that could change up quests occasionally. I don't, however, think they should change things in terms of like carrying capacity, intelligence/wisdom of character, etc... or affect the actual gameplay mechanics, as that really comes off kind of sexist then.

Fallout games do have different dialogue options and perks based on gender (especially the old FO games - gender could be very important in those). Other single player games do as well. I'm most interested in how gender could change interpersonal relationships, and that's something most games are bad at to begin with. Bioware touches on differences between genders, but only in the most basic and hamfisted ways (i.e., "X player can sleep with Y NPC").

But MMOs? Pretty much never. Again, it just determines which doll you're going to dress up.

gore wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:
I do wish character gender mattered in some other ways. For most games it's just a texture/model swap.

Fallout 3? You got special seduction texts for your character that could change up quests occasionally. I don't, however, think they should change things in terms of like carrying capacity, intelligence/wisdom of character, etc... or affect the actual gameplay mechanics, as that really comes off kind of sexist then.

Fallout games do have different dialogue options and perks based on gender (especially the old FO games - gender could be very important in those). Other single player games do as well. I'm most interested in how gender could change interpersonal relationships, and that's something most games are bad at to begin with. Bioware touches on differences between genders, but only in the most basic and hamfisted ways (i.e., "X player can sleep with Y NPC").

But MMOs? Pretty much never. Again, it just determines which doll you're going to dress up.

That's honestly how I like it. It's bad enough that it happens in real life, I don't want gender role bullsh*t in my escape from reality.

There can be some storytelling benefit to it, especially if it's done well, but that'd be really hard to do for an MMO. Can you imagine the complaints if you had NPCs that gave better quest rewards to certain genders? Or if you limited certain quest lines to specific genders?

Edit - I think your link is evidence of the opposite position you have. The game being gender agnostic was what made it special to her. Being able to pick her character's gender was important, but it didn't affect her choices in game. Her female character could sleep with / marry the female NPC, same as a male character can.

Stengah wrote:

There can be some storytelling benefit to it, especially if it's done well, but that'd be really hard to do for an MMO. Can you imagine the complaints if you had NPCs that gave better quest rewards to certain genders? Or if you limited certain quest lines to specific genders?

Well, I don't want "gender role bullsh*t" either, but I do think a character's gender would have some impact on how he or she interacts with others on the team beyond determining which ones have "flirt" options available. Video games don't explore that in any useful way, but maybe that's because designers know they can't do it well and so don't even try.

(Getting a bit OT here)

gore wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:
I do wish character gender mattered in some other ways. For most games it's just a texture/model swap.

Fallout 3? You got special seduction texts for your character that could change up quests occasionally. I don't, however, think they should change things in terms of like carrying capacity, intelligence/wisdom of character, etc... or affect the actual gameplay mechanics, as that really comes off kind of sexist then.

Fallout games do have different dialogue options and perks based on gender (especially the old FO games - gender could be very important in those). Other single player games do as well. I'm most interested in how gender could change interpersonal relationships, and that's something most games are bad at to begin with. Bioware touches on differences between genders, but only in the most basic and hamfisted ways (i.e., "X player can sleep with Y NPC").

But MMOs? Pretty much never. Again, it just determines which doll you're going to dress up.

Wasn't there a bigger gender difference in the first Fallout? Maybe I am thinking on another game but I remember one of them that was kind of Fallout like (top down RPG) had like a strength bonus for males and a dexterity bonus for females I think.

Rykin wrote:
gore wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:
I do wish character gender mattered in some other ways. For most games it's just a texture/model swap.

Fallout 3? You got special seduction texts for your character that could change up quests occasionally. I don't, however, think they should change things in terms of like carrying capacity, intelligence/wisdom of character, etc... or affect the actual gameplay mechanics, as that really comes off kind of sexist then.

Fallout games do have different dialogue options and perks based on gender (especially the old FO games - gender could be very important in those). Other single player games do as well. I'm most interested in how gender could change interpersonal relationships, and that's something most games are bad at to begin with. Bioware touches on differences between genders, but only in the most basic and hamfisted ways (i.e., "X player can sleep with Y NPC").

But MMOs? Pretty much never. Again, it just determines which doll you're going to dress up.

Wasn't there a bigger gender difference in the first Fallout? Maybe I am thinking on another game but I remember one of them that was kind of Fallout like (top down RPG) had like a strength bonus for males and a dexterity bonus for females I think.

Dunno about Fallout, but through 2nd Edition AD&D, there were strength caps for women that were lower than those for men.

Minarchist wrote:
Budo wrote:

Whenever I play an MMO...

I hate multiplayer in all its forms and shapes.

I haz a confuse.

I see what you did there, and it's a good point, but I should note I play all my MMOs solo as much as possible.

Here's another one:
I like all versions of the Sims, and if they had fixed the space level and made it more streamlined, I would say I dug Spore too.

Evidently I'm the only person that liked the post-test-chambers section of Portal and wished more of Portal 2 was like that. That one segment of Portal felt like it really opened up the world and became less of a "here's a funny setting for a bunch of video-gamey tests" and more of "here's an environment you can be under the illusion of being 'more natural' and feel like you're using this portal gun to its full potential".

Most of Portal 2 was test chambers, though, and it makes it harder to suspend disbelief. I know I'm playing a video game, and the game itself, as much as they try and make it interesting, just spells it out "this is a video game".

Which I don't hate. I do not hate "video gamey" elements. Those often make a game fun and encourage "just one more level/turn/etc." behavior. But the best parts of Portal 2, for me at least, felt like a natural environment instead of a test chamber.

I think the post-test chamber portion of Portal is the only thing that elevated that game beyond a fun puzzler.

When I played Portal for the first time I started it as soon as I could unlock Orange Box and played through the entire game that night (finished at about 4 am). The post escape section of that game blew me away, it was so unexpected and just perfect. It was like being able to break out of the confines of Tetris and go punch the jerk tossing all those blocks at you right in the face. Awesome.

MojoBox wrote:

I think the post-test chamber portion of Portal is the only thing that elevated that game beyond a fun puzzler.

When I played Portal for the first time I started it as soon as I could unlock Orange Box and played through the entire game that night (finished at about 4 am). The post escape section of that game blew me away, it was so unexpected and just perfect. It was like being able to break out of the confines of Tetris and go punch the jerk tossing all those blocks at you right in the face. Awesome.

Ditto. The game was fun up until that point, but when I escaped and hit the portion of the game following that, it became brilliant.

While Portal 2 might be bigger and better than Portal 1 by a lot of measurements, I knew that after Portal 1 any sequel could never truly surpass it for me.

Farscry wrote:
MojoBox wrote:

I think the post-test chamber portion of Portal is the only thing that elevated that game beyond a fun puzzler.

When I played Portal for the first time I started it as soon as I could unlock Orange Box and played through the entire game that night (finished at about 4 am). The post escape section of that game blew me away, it was so unexpected and just perfect. It was like being able to break out of the confines of Tetris and go punch the jerk tossing all those blocks at you right in the face. Awesome.

Ditto. The game was fun up until that point, but when I escaped and hit the portion of the game following that, it became brilliant.

While Portal 2 might be bigger and better than Portal 1 by a lot of measurements, I knew that after Portal 1 any sequel could never truly surpass it for me.

+1 to every word here by Farscry. When I replay Portal, I'm just itching to get past the test chamber "how to play" sections.

Here's some more!!

I have no idea who Crash, Bandicoot, Ray, Sly or any of those weird platformer characters are, and mix them up.

I gave Assassin's Creed about 2hrs then gave up when I kept getting alerted when I rode my horse at the slowest speed. I would not take it, and I haven't tried it again in over a year. Probably won't.

I don't know why, but I despise that Bayonetta exists.

Turtles in Time is one of the best Sidescroller Brawlers to ever grace the videogame scene.

If possible, I will play Super Metroid, Grim Fandango, Lemmings 2:The Tribes, Shadow of the Colossus, FF6, FF7, and FFX at least once a year.

Funny enough, I think FFX is, storywise, really, really bad. But the combat system is my favorite. The Sphere Grid is pure genius.