Gaming Confessions & Blasphemy

Blind_Evil wrote:

There's a big difference that I wish people would touch on more often, between "bad" and "not to my tastes." The Zelda games continue to be great at what they are - if you don't like what they are, you should know better than to play them. They're never going to make Zelda into Skyrim for a younger generation or anything weird like that.

For example, I wouldn't call the Uncharted games "bad." They're beautiful and action packed, but I'm not at all interested in the characters or settings. So it's not for me. But people love them! Who's wrong in that case?

That sounds completely calm and rational. Are you sure you're a gamer and that you belong on the internet? :p

Mantid wrote:
Blind_Evil wrote:

There's a big difference that I wish people would touch on more often, between "bad" and "not to my tastes." The Zelda games continue to be great at what they are - if you don't like what they are, you should know better than to play them. They're never going to make Zelda into Skyrim for a younger generation or anything weird like that.

For example, I wouldn't call the Uncharted games "bad." They're beautiful and action packed, but I'm not at all interested in the characters or settings. So it's not for me. But people love them! Who's wrong in that case?

That sounds completely calm and rational. Are you sure you're a gamer and that you belong on the internet? :p

What is this... rational... that you speak of? Is that like when I tell someone they're gay?

Blind_Evil wrote:

For example, I wouldn't call the Uncharted games "bad." They're beautiful and action packed, but I'm not at all interested in the characters or settings. So it's not for me. But people love them! Who's wrong in that case?

Who's wrong? The people who think that a good game can require you to put four sniper bullets directly into a random grunt's head in order to kill him on an easy dificulty setting, that's who.

Minarchist wrote:
Blind_Evil wrote:

For example, I wouldn't call the Uncharted games "bad." They're beautiful and action packed, but I'm not at all interested in the characters or settings. So it's not for me. But people love them! Who's wrong in that case?

Who's wrong? The people who think that a good game can require you to put four sniper bullets directly into a random grunt's head in order to kill him on an easy dificulty setting, that's who. :P

That's a little hyperbolic... I enjoyed the Uncharted games on easy. I will totally admit that the combat is objectively flawed (understatement?). I liked the spectacle, the environment exploration, and the characterization. The combat was my least favorite part.

Dishonored's plot was pretty weak-sauce.

Spoiler:

Oh those people that had me kill all the 'bad' guys turn out to stab me in the back and are bad guys themselves? Never seen that before

They'll need to do better than that to get money out of me for the franchise they're planning.

That's a little hyperbolic... I enjoyed the Uncharted games on easy. I will totally admit that the combat is objectively flawed (understatement?). I liked the spectacle, the environment exploration, and the characterization. The combat was my least favorite part.

This would explain why I could never get into Uncharted. I hate spectacle, I'm meh on exploration, and the characterizations made me cringe. It hinged on combat at the last, and I found the combat plainly awful.

Scratched wrote:

Dishonored's plot was pretty weak-sauce.

Spoiler:

Oh those people that had me kill all the 'bad' guys turn out to stab me in the back and are bad guys themselves? Never seen that before

They'll need to do better than that to get money out of me for the franchise they're planning.

People think the Dishonored plot was good? I thought we all just loved the gameplay and the aesthetic of the universe. The story felt pretty meh, though.

ccesarano wrote:
Scratched wrote:

Dishonored's plot was pretty weak-sauce.

Spoiler:

Oh those people that had me kill all the 'bad' guys turn out to stab me in the back and are bad guys themselves? Never seen that before

They'll need to do better than that to get money out of me for the franchise they're planning.

People think the Dishonored plot was good? I thought we all just loved the gameplay and the aesthetic of the universe. The story felt pretty meh, though.

Wait, video games with good plots exist? Like, from start to finish good plots?

Okay, here's my confession:

I have never played any Legend of Zelda games and have no desire to do so. They look boring as hell.
I hated the Portal games because they made me feel stupid.
I actually don't mind Games for Windows Live at all as I am an achievement junkie.
As much as I have tried, I just can't make myself care about any of the Assassin's Creed games.
I liked Everquest much better than World of Warcraft.
I actually liked Command and Conquer 4.

Christina Hendricks is overweight? I don't care. She was super hot in Firefly. She's super hot in Mad Man. She's super hot in Driver. She's super hot chained up in my basement.

trueheart78 wrote:

Wait, video games with good plots exist? Like, from start to finish good plots?

Around 2003 in the Computer Gaming World there was a blurb published in the letters to the editor section that went something like:

CGWreader wrote:

Plot in video games is like plot in porno. It's not why I'm there. If the plot is good it's a bonus; if it's not, I won't notice.

Jayhawker wrote:
Eleima wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:

I think Christina Hendricks is overweight.

No way she's overweight. Granted her BMI puts her in the top tier of the ideal weight zone, but no way she's overweight. No way, no how. Someone's getting too used to stick figured top models, I say.

Nicholaas wrote:
Baron Of Hell wrote:
Running Man wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:

I think Christina Hendricks is overweight.

After 34 pages somebody finally went too far!

Why hasn't he been banned yet?

Get the tar, I'll get the feathers.

I've got some firewood and a huge stake, won't that do? ^_^

I'd think we just call Mr. Blonde and let him handle it.

Q-Stone's just not into her.

IMAGE(http://celebsview.info/wp-content/uploads/dbab35f589728173_christina_hendricks.xxlarge.jpg)

S0LIDARITY wrote:
trueheart78 wrote:

Wait, video games with good plots exist? Like, from start to finish good plots?

Around 2003 in the Computer Gaming World there was a blurb published in the letters to the editor section that went something like:

CGWreader wrote:

Plot in video games is like plot in porno. It's not why I'm there. If the plot is good it's a bonus; if it's not, I won't notice.

I have so many disagreements with that statement as the very nature of video games being interactive means you can be more invested in a story than traditional media. The Walking Dead is proof of this, as many of its twists wouldn't have been as effective without having the player involved directly.

For some reason people seem to think gameplay and storytelling are at odds, and it is a really limited, closed-minded perspective on the potential of the medium.

ccesarano wrote:

I have so many disagreements with that statement as the very nature of video games being interactive means you can be more invested in a story than traditional media. The Walking Dead is proof of this, as many of its twists wouldn't have been as effective without having the player involved directly.

For some reason people seem to think gameplay and storytelling are at odds, and it is a really limited, closed-minded perspective on the potential of the medium.

For me it depends very much on the game. I like story driven games if the story is compelling. I wouldn't have enjoyed Dragon Age: Origins if Ferelden was less immersive; the conflicts of interest and character backstories kept me in the game. I can't tell you anything about the plot of Borderlands 1, yet I loved that game. I don't agree with that now, but I think a lot of people do.

Mantid wrote:
MrWaterhandle wrote:

I think Skyward Sword is depressingly bad. Seriously, I felt somewhat depressed while I was plowing through it. I think I have grown out of the Zelda model. The only innovation on its formula was that the level design never left the tutorial phase. There isn't much thinking involved in the puzzles, the only time I got stuck is when I missed something. There are better Portal 2 custom maps then dungeons in SS. And honestly Nintendo, switching out a minecart for a block to push against a ledge to be able to get up on it halfway through the game does not constitute a new puzzle. It was more depressing, because I thought the first dungeon was the best, and at that time the swordfighting still felt new and exciting, so it had a somewhat promising start. And it has some god awful mechanics, like those digging mits or any underground section.

I think this sums up how I've felt about Zelda for a while now. The series just feel stale. I eventually got through Skyward Sword, but I certainly skipped a lot along the way. There were moments I really enjoyed the game, but the were spaced between long area of deja vu from other games in the fanchise.

This a thousand times this. Zelda used to be me one of my favorites. It's just as good as was when I first played it, and not one iota better. So now I just can't play them anymore. Not to mention as I got older, they went from very challenging to stupidly easy. Ah well good memories regardless.

Strangeblades wrote:

Metal Gear for the NES was THE BESTEST Metal Gear game

No! No! No! Clearly the best Metal Gear game was Snake's Revenge! ...I mean come on....cigarettes!

Scratched wrote:

She was a voice actor in NFS The Run.

What?

Coolbeans wrote:

I actually liked Command and Conquer 4.

I hate you now.

Spoiler:

No, I don't. Maybe just a little. Call me maybe?

The lack of games where the soundtrack is both polyrhythmic and the focus of gameplay is disturbing and remains a segment to be explored.

Any girl can be made hotte with the right make-up artist, right wardrobe, right lighting (you'd be amazed how absolute darkness can improve someone's look) and right photographer. CH is cute, especially her face. The rest is nice, especially if you like the pin-up girl look.

In conclusion, I think Hendricks beats C&C4 aesthetically, systemically and mechanically.

I haven't finished a game of Civ since vanilla Civ IV. I've logged dozens if not hundreds of hours in Beyond the Sword and Civ V but rarely get around to finishing them. I play for a while, borders settle and I start tending to the empire, then I quit and don't really get back to it for a few weeks or months by which time I've decided to restart a game.

I've also consistently resisted playing at higher difficulty levels as I don't ever really tend to play optimum strategies, despite having played Civ games since the original. They're more like global Sim City for me. I potter about, build up an empire, see off a few antagonists, then go to bed.

I really like quick time events.

Grubber788 wrote:

I really like quick time events.

Oh god, you monster.

Quintin_Stone wrote:
Grubber788 wrote:

I really like quick time events.

Oh god, you monster.

Ssssshhhhhuuuuuuuunnnnnnnn

ccesarano wrote:
Quintin_Stone wrote:
Grubber788 wrote:

I really like quick time events.

Oh god, you monster.

Ssssshhhhhuuuuuuuunnnnnnnn

I don't mind them if they're done right. I would say like KoA:R's fate shift was a good quicktime event in combat. Outside of combat when I'm expecting to watch something rather than mash buttons? Lame. ACIII did this during the end of sequence 11, but it didn't seem to mind me taking a moment to notice it... which is good because I assumed I had won the fight and could just watch Conner finish the dude off.

I thought the QTEs in Heavy Rain were handled exceptionally well. The six-axis PS3 (read: motion) controller allowed for a wide variety of intelligent, contextual QTEs that proved incredibly immersive to the marriage of story and gameplay.

I'd concede that most of the time they suck, but when done well QTEs can contribute to the experience.

I got an email with a 10-day offer of free WoW time, including Pandaria. I played an undead monk up to level 20 on Sunday, and had a great time. I know I won't resubscribe, but I feel a bit dirty having so much fun with the same ol' same ol'.

Christina Hendricks is loverly (as we say daan the east end.)

Video games aren't like fruit the don't spoil a few weeks after release.

Aaron D. wrote:

I thought the QTEs in Heavy Rain were handled exceptionally well. The six-axis PS3 (read: motion) controller allowed for a wide variety of intelligent, contextual QTEs that proved incredibly immersive to the marriage of story and gameplay.

I'd concede that most of the time they suck, but when done well QTEs can contribute to the experience.

When the guy in charge of Heavy Rain went on about positioning the button combos for QTEs, etc to evoke a feeling (the example was reaching for something in a tight space and making the button combination to press equally tough on the fingers) I rolled my eyes but QTE's along those lines in Walking Dead worked brilliantly.

Spoiler:

I'm thinking particularly moments where you make an effort to do something and fail and strangling the guy in episode 5 I kinda felt like I'd just throttled someone.

Tanglebones wrote:

I got an email with a 10-day offer of free WoW time, including Pandaria. I played an undead monk up to level 20 on Sunday, and had a great time. I know I won't resubscribe, but I feel a bit dirty having so much fun with the same ol' same ol'.

I did that a few times. The ten day free pass is quite good for revisiting your characters and seeing the world. Gradually my fading interest cooled enough that I couldn't even be bothered to take them up on the ten days thing (they offer it every three months or so) but I did enjoy dipping into the world again.

Higgledy wrote:

When the guy in charge of Heavy Rain went on about positioning the button combos for QTEs, etc to evoke a feeling (the example was reaching for something in a tight space and making the button combination to press equally tough on the fingers) I rolled my eyes but QTE's along those lines in Walking Dead worked brilliantly.

Spoiler:

I'm thinking particularly moments where you make an effort to do something and fail and strangling the guy in episode 5 I kinda felt like I'd just throttled someone.

Haven't played Heavy Rain but I completely agree regarding those in TWD. Brilliantly down, I was mashing those buttons in a panic, totally gripped me.

I don't get the allure of the GTA games

Well, at least not for anything more than a quick diversion of driving around like a maniac. When I hear people say "they made the combat better" I hear "they polished the turd a little bit more." I have never gotten more than a few hours into any GTA game.

Surprisingly, I finished Red Dead.

I have never played COD

In any form. Or Medal of Honor, or anything like it. I don't get the love for military shooters. The only shooters that interest me are those with Sci-Fi angles. I also know that the multiplayer in these games would likely be nothing more than frustrating for me.

I don't get Skyrim either

Sure, it looks pretty. But how anyone sees first person melee combat as "fun" is beyond me. I also don't like my worlds to be TOO open. Sure, I like some side quests and freedom, but when I'm playing a game I'm mostly in for the story. This is especially true when I find the combat system to be anti-fun like it is in Skyrim.

I've never played any game on the Xbox 360

But I did just buy one literally two days ago to give to my kids for Christmas.

Tanglebones wrote:

I got an email with a 10-day offer of free WoW time, including Pandaria. I played an undead monk up to level 20 on Sunday, and had a great time. I know I won't resubscribe, but I feel a bit dirty having so much fun with the same ol' same ol'.

My wife has been curious about the idea of playing as a Pandaren, but it's been a good 3 years since I've played and I really can't imagine bringing that back into my life, much less hers too. Would probably save me money on games, but that'd be about it.