Unofficial GWJ Book Club - Thanks, All.

Add me as well to the group, please. Steam link is in my sig.

Invite sent. Sorry about the SMNC one, my mistake

I am at MinPenCon and quite inebriated, so I will add you at a later time.

Sorry I missed the book club last week, I was in New Orleans and quite inebriated myself

Looking forward to rejoining on the next one! Wind up girl, June 7th at 8:30 ET (7:30 CT)!!

Hells half acre, this was my book of the year last year. Actually got me back on the reading horse. I am so very excited to hear this talked about, I might even just participate.

What do I need to do, just show up?

TheWanderer wrote:

Hells half acre, this was my book of the year last year. Actually got me back on the reading horse. I am so very excited to hear this talked about, I might even just participate.

What do I need to do, just show up?

Basically We have a group on goodreads and I sent you an invite to our Steam Group

I've never really enjoyed many novels but i also haven't tried to readone that i actually wanted since i was 16. So id like to give this a shot to maybe get some things to talk about with people. I also work at a library. So i just read a choice novel before the June discussion date? Could i maybe get a suggestion, im not super aware of newer books other than what old ladies read.

Oops dam android e

Oh, also, there was the suggestion at our last discussion that perhaps the low participation was because of the fiction/nonfiction rotation, i.e., folks weren't interested in nonfiction titles as much. Do we want to eliminate the rotation and just go with what the group votes for, as opposed to forcing one or the other?

FedoraMcQuaid wrote:

I've never really enjoyed many novels but i also haven't tried to readone that i actually wanted since i was 16. So id like to give this a shot to maybe get some things to talk about with people. I also work at a library. So i just read a choice novel before the June discussion date? Could i maybe get a suggestion, im not super aware of newer books other than what old ladies read.

Actually the group picks a novel that we all read for the month, then discuss it. For May, we're reading The Windup Girl. I'm not sure of the turnaround of getting it into your library, Fedora, you would know better than I how long it takes to get books there, but go for it, if you're interested.

You can also join up on Goodreads and join our book club group, where it shows the book we're reading for the month, and the date ranges. Usually, the discussion will be scheduled Finish Date for the book, at 8:30 PM EST.

I personally like the rotation, but not if it's hurting participation in the group. It might help if we moved away from the very cerebral non-fiction books we've read so far and include a memoir or travel writing or something like that.

Jolly Bill wrote:

I personally like the rotation, but not if it's hurting participation in the group. It might help if we moved away from the very cerebral non-fiction books we've read so far and include a memoir or travel writing or something like that.

You mean like this suggestion I made earlier?

NSMike wrote:
Jolly Bill wrote:

I personally like the rotation, but not if it's hurting participation in the group. It might help if we moved away from the very cerebral non-fiction books we've read so far and include a memoir or travel writing or something like that.

You mean like this suggestion I made earlier? :D

I'm midway through this right now, and think it's relevant to a couple of very active threads.

Tanglebones wrote:
NSMike wrote:
Jolly Bill wrote:

I personally like the rotation, but not if it's hurting participation in the group. It might help if we moved away from the very cerebral non-fiction books we've read so far and include a memoir or travel writing or something like that.

You mean like this suggestion I made earlier? :D

I'm midway through this right now, and think it's relevant to a couple of very active threads.

Oof, I read this and this fairly recently, and I'm not sure I'm ready for more on the subject at the moment...

I'm in! Fedora was just talking about this in IRC and I just finished reading the complete Song of Ice and Fire so I'm looking to keep my reading going.

EDIT: My Steam profile

Invite me to the book club please.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/omgwtfb...

ELewis17 wrote:

Invite me to the book club please.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/omgwtfb...

Taking bets on him actually showing up...

Joined on GoodReads! Looking forward to this.

Also, is anyone familiar with Bacigalupi's other work? I swear I've heard Megadonts mentioned in another story before but I can't figure out which.

NSMike wrote:
Tanglebones wrote:
NSMike wrote:
Jolly Bill wrote:

I personally like the rotation, but not if it's hurting participation in the group. It might help if we moved away from the very cerebral non-fiction books we've read so far and include a memoir or travel writing or something like that.

You mean like this suggestion I made earlier? :D

I'm midway through this right now, and think it's relevant to a couple of very active threads.

Oof, I read this and this fairly recently, and I'm not sure I'm ready for more on the subject at the moment...

I want to read all of those. Maybe the last three more than the first, but then again, that's where I am right now ;-).

Those all sound like great books - maybe we shouldn't give up the nonfiction quite yet!

Liyana wrote:

Those all sound like great books - maybe we shouldn't give up the nonfiction quite yet!

+1 !

NSMike wrote:
ELewis17 wrote:

Invite me to the book club please.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/omgwtfb...

Taking bets on him actually showing up...

I am reading the book. Who knows if I'll show to the discussion though. :p

I've been having some wacky dreams since I started the book. Steam punk is a scary place to dream about...

Just got the book and will start it tonight--woo!

I don't think this is a spoiler, because I gleaned it from the first few pages, but I think it's fascinating how, 15 years ago, the setting would probably be more of a nuclear post-apocalyptic novel, but since the general dialogue of world-ending scenarios has shifted to ecological/energy consumption, that is the kind of apocalypse we're seeing.

NSMike wrote:

I don't think this is a spoiler, because I gleaned it from the first few pages, but I think it's fascinating how, 15 years ago, the setting would probably be more of a nuclear post-apocalyptic novel, but since the general dialogue of world-ending scenarios has shifted to ecological/energy consumption, that is the kind of apocalypse we're seeing.

The corollary discussion point is how a slowpocalypse differs from a fast one in its effects on human society (I'm only 3 or so chapters in at this point..)

We actually even seem to be witnessing a three-pronged apocalypse here, in that there are advancing oceans, presumably due to global warming, rampant new diseases and plagues which medicine can't seem to counter, which might be an accident of genetic engineering, and the total loss of oil as an energy source.

That sounds pretty spot on, NSMIke. I just finished the book and had a great time reading it. It seemed eerily familiar to me until I realized I had read "Calorie Man", a short story by the same author, years ago.

Link (short story is one of several listed here, in pdf form)

I've got some discussion questions I'm already interested in talking about. A bunch of them, actually, but hopefully some are small enough or inconsequential enough that we don't really need to talk about them.

Awesome, Bill. Hold of on posting them, because I will not be able to resist clicking the Spoiler open.

Not that I was thinking you specifically, but I knew that would be too much of an urge for some

Jolly Bill wrote:

That sounds pretty spot on, NSMIke. I just finished the book and had a great time reading it. It seemed eerily familiar to me until I realized I had read "Calorie Man", a short story by the same author, years ago.

I knew it! I had the same feeling. I'm glad I'm not crazy (for that). I'm halfway through and am dutifully highlighting/commenting all over my Kindle version. I will prepare an eight page discussion outline. (Totally kidding)