Disney Buys LucasFilm, Star Wars Episode 7 in 2015

So everyone read that Lucas had lunch with Hamill & Fisher back in August and broke the news to them early about the new trilogy, right? Hamill does not sound like someone who is sick of the whole shebang, though he's now waiting for more info like the rest of us.

Small part. It'll be fun.

gore wrote:
ccesarano wrote:

Then why is a hackable door there for them to get out?

Maybe Storm Troopers fall in periodically? Those guys aren't all that clever. Yeah, it seems like they have an endless supply of them, but if enough die on the job eventually the lawsuits will start to add up.

But the door wasn't hackable from inside the trap - the heros needed accomplices outside the trap to disable it and open the door.

I'm not really a big Star Wars guy anymore, but I'm interested to see the direction they take the story. Taken as a whole, the six movies show a really nice character arc for Anakin: his fall, and his redemption. Calling the new movie Episode VII suggests a continuation of the themes and storyline, but what else is there to say? (And as it is, Episode I is fairly superfluous.)

But really, it'll be a vehicle to sell toys and lunchboxes, just like Star Wars has always been. You know what bit of merchandise I'd like to see? A digital version of the movies on Amazon so I could actually watch them again.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

But really, it'll be a vehicle to sell toys and lunchboxes, just like Star Wars has always been. You know what bit of merchandise I'd like to see? A digital version of the movies on Amazon so I could actually watch them again. :P

Wasnt that until RotJ.

Supposedly they're creating an original story which blows some of my hopes out of the water, and if we do see Lea/Luke and others it'll be in cameo fashion.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

I'm not really a big Star Wars guy anymore, but I'm interested to see the direction they take the story. Taken as a whole, the six movies show a really nice character arc for Anakin: his fall, and his redemption. Calling the new movie Episode VII suggests a continuation of the themes and storyline, but what else is there to say? (And as it is, Episode I is fairly superfluous.)

It's a really good question.

As I understand it, the series was originally designed with 9 "episodes" in mind. If that's true, Lucas would already have a vague sketch of the plot (whatever it is) and presumably Disney would at least take that under consideration. But Return of the Jedi ends with only a couple of Jedi nominally still around, and with no (obvious) Dark Jedi to fight next.

People have already speculated that The Thrawn Trilogy might form the basis of future movies, as it occurs shortly after Return of the Jedi. I dunno. I also don't know whether Lucas gave Zahn any direction at all on those books, or whether it would even matter to Disney if they contradict with Lucas's own vision.

There is NO WAY the Thrawn books form the basis for the new trilogy.

If memory serves, Kurtz said the original ideas for 7/8/9 were more immediately post-ROTJ, involving Luke's sister (who wasn't Leia, initially) on the other side of the universe or sumthin'.

Whatever the ideas were, I don't think a thirty year gap of time for that original cast ever factored into it, so something more from scratch sounds about right.

I saw Billy Dee Williams on NCIS the other night. "Hello what have we here..."

People have already speculated that The Thrawn Trilogy might form the basis of future movies, as it occurs shortly after Return of the Jedi. I dunno. I also don't know whether Lucas gave Zahn any direction at all on those books, or whether it would even matter to Disney if they contradict with Lucas's own vision.

Unless my old man brain is failing me, I clearly remember the Thrawn trilogy being marketed as Eps 7-9.

I've never really been convinced by Lucas's alleged 9-film plans; there's not been much evidence that it actually existed in any tangible form. It's hard enough working with the prequels and all of the implied backstory of the original trilogy; I have no idea what a good Star Wars plot would look like going forward. There's not much in the way of major loose threads in the G-canon; I have no idea what T-canon might have added, and I'm willing to bet that they're going to throw out large parts of C-canon, for better or worse (probably better for the films and worse for the brand as a whole.

Let's see, if I was in charage what would my process be? I think the first step would be to sit down and look at the six films and see if any loose threads are left, both character-wise and thematically. Since they're not going the old republic direction (which would be the easiest writing-wise but the hardest sell commercially) we get sequels to events after Episode 6. I think because of the actor-limitation you're probably going to want to move to a next-generation type thing, though recasting would be a bold move.

You'll probably want to write a new continuity going forward, because the EU has the inevitably messed-up tangle of plot that will not easily fit into movies without committing to filming the entire EU. This will create a split in the fanbase and has the potential to cause DC-level continuity problems down the road, but Star Wars has weathered this before with the prequels. My gut is that Thrawn is the wrong way to go, but there are literally millions of people who disagree with me.

So:
1. It has to be a story about light side and dark side, though not necessarily versus.
2. You'll want a villain that can sustain three films, and ideally feel like the plot fits with the first six; I'm not familiar enough with the EU to known if there's anyone besides Thrawn who easily fits the bill.
3. In preparation, go back and watch a bunch of pulp films and read Lensman sci-fi novels; juice it up with that gonzo feel.
4. Star Wars needs physical representations of abstract concepts to work: that's what the Death Star and Lightsaber duels and all that stuff is about. But don't reuse the exact same blow-up-the-weak-point-on-the-battlestation scenario three times, George Lucas.
5. For the love of the Force, don't just cram as many references to the first trilogy in illogical ways just so it feels like Star Wars. The prequels already did that.

Slumberland wrote:

I saw Billy Dee Williams on NCIS the other night. "Hello what have we here..."

That's a very good point. That's the #1 reason why they should have done these movies earlier.

IMAGE(http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080201203947/darth/images/a/ab/BillyDee.jpg)

Here's a wrinkle: Fox still owns the rights to the original films.

Not a huge deal from where I'm sitting. It would prevent Disney from releasing full saga box sets, or the unaltered original editions, but there are no roadblocks for new movies/media produced.

But is there anything stopping Fox from releasing unedited versions of the original trilogy now?

Gremlin wrote:

So:
1. It has to be a story about light side and dark side, though not necessarily versus.
2. You'll want a villain that can sustain three films, and ideally feel like the plot fits with the first six; I'm not familiar enough with the EU to known if there's anyone besides Thrawn who easily fits the bill.
3. In preparation, go back and watch a bunch of pulp films and read Lensman sci-fi novels; juice it up with that gonzo feel.
4. Star Wars needs physical representations of abstract concepts to work: that's what the Death Star and Lightsaber duels and all that stuff is about. But don't reuse the exact same blow-up-the-weak-point-on-the-battlestation scenario three times, George Lucas.
5. For the love of the Force, don't just cram as many references to the first trilogy in illogical ways just so it feels like Star Wars. The prequels already did that.

Thrawn is a good one, probably the best. Urbane, witty, intelligent and absolutely ruthless. You'll have Light Side, and Dark Side, clones (and the reason clones got outlawed), foreign locales, homeworld of the Wookies and an alien species to save the day (who were "saved" by Vader), Imperials vs Rebels, Leia taking over the New Republic, Mara Jade, Han and Leia married.

Others include: Isard "Iceheart" from the Rogue Squadron series would work as well (and it makes for some good cinema to witness the retaking of Coruscant, and the aftermath - Bonus: Luke, Leia and a lot of the original character have minimal appearances until the end of the 3rd book, happens directly after VI, new hero: Corran Horn. Negative: No Force, or Jedi really it just nibbles around the edges, unless you go full throttle into I, Jedi)

Exar Kun and the Jedi Academy Trilogy (Or Quadriology if you count I, Jedi in there) is another one. Bonuses: Lots and lots and lots of Force. Downsides: Not enough of everything else.

Agent 86 wrote:

Here's a wrinkle: Fox still owns the rights to the original films.

Distribution rights, not the IP which is key. If Disney wants to make a complete set, they'd have to partner with Fox to get the original films or buy out their contract. Similarly, if they wanted to do a proper original trilogy release on Blu-ray, Fox would have to distribute it. I imagine given the phat monies a new release always generates, they'll figure that out.

I'm gonna' take a stab in the dark and bet on them doing some sort of arc about re-establishing the Jedi order though it'll focus on some secondary players that encounter some forgotten group of Sith/dark jedi/force sensitives/conquering aliens that threatens the fledgling Republic with cameos from a hooded and barely visible holo-transmission of Master Luke giving them the occasional prompt to "continue the investigation." That way you avoid the 30 year age difference while hand-waving away his lack of involvement since he's basically somewhere else doing political stuff while the up-and-coming Jedi knights are out doing the legwork and having all the adventures.

I just want HK-47...

DSGamer wrote:
Slumberland wrote:

I saw Billy Dee Williams on NCIS the other night. "Hello what have we here..."

That's a very good point. That's the #1 reason why they should have done these movies earlier.

IMAGE(http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080201203947/darth/images/a/ab/BillyDee.jpg)

He looks super old these days:

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/l7zxLl.jpg)

(Yes this was merely an excuse to post a pic of me hanging out w/ Lando ;))

New Jedi Order takes place 20 years later and could probably handle the orginal actors.

Radical Ans wrote:

He looks super old these days:

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/l7zxLl.jpg)

(Yes this was merely an excuse to post a pic of me hanging out w/ Lando ;))

It's just cause he lost the 'stash. The 'stash subtracts like 15 years.

ranalin wrote:
ClockworkHouse wrote:

But really, it'll be a vehicle to sell toys and lunchboxes, just like Star Wars has always been. You know what bit of merchandise I'd like to see? A digital version of the movies on Amazon so I could actually watch them again. :P

Wasnt that until RotJ.

My collection of 1977 Star Wars action figures says otherwise. Also, the merchandising rights were being shopped around in 1976.

With all the talk about Thrawn and the New Jedi Order and what parts of the books and the like could fit into the story, I think frankly the thing most likely to happen is that either the new trilogy is set so far in the future that that's all irrelevant or all of that Extended Universe stuff becomes Alternate Universe in the blink of an eye. I can't imagine the nightmare of trying to write a sequel to Star Wars that takes into account all the books, games, comics, and other stuff that's been written to take place in the same time period. I expect nods to some of that, but I think they'll ultimately split the timeline at the end of Return of the Jedi and call it good.

I'd be ok with "based on the Thrawn Trilogy" and just using the characters introduced. He really is a great villain, and Mara Jade needs to be on screen.

Also, just to note: they did say that the new trilogy explicitly will not be based on any source material, so no, there will be no Thrawn trilogy in theaters whatsoever.

A correction: it looks like the source for the "all original material" thing is an E! Online article citing LucasFilm insiders. So, you can all safely discount it as rumor. It does, however, not only explicitly say that Episode 7 will be a new story entirely but it also explicitly says that they will not be using the Thrawn trilogy.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

there will be no Thrawn trilogy in theaters whatsoever.

But what about after the new Trilogy? Or a direct-to-video movie?

I wish they'd do the Thrawn trilogy and get around the age differences by handing it over to Pixar, but I'm not holding my breath.

ccesarano wrote:
Grenn wrote:
1Dgaf wrote:
ccesarano wrote:

"why the Hell does the Imperial Death Star have a monster in its garbage chute".

I had never thought of that. Now you mention it, it is a bit weird.

It's been covered.

And that's the thing. You were never supposed to actually think about A New Hope, because it was a fun romp through space!

But then Empire Strikes Back had to go and ruin it with deeper stuff and now everyone has "expectations".

This is not only the truth but it lies at the heart of all the problems with all of the films after ep IV

Ooops

Kehama wrote:

I'm gonna' take a stab in the dark and bet on them doing some sort of arc about re-establishing the Jedi order though it'll focus on some secondary players that encounter some forgotten group of Sith/dark jedi/force sensitives/conquering aliens that threatens the fledgling Republic

Hello, nail, meet hammer.

Thinking it over, I'm somewhat proud of my idea. I was just tossing out bad reality shows but Supers live in secrecy and always have. So what's the opposite? Reality TV, and let's face it, if Supers were real, they'd probably have the most reality tv shows. I know Pixar does universal, timeless plots rather than stuff that's only relevant for the moment, which is why their films are already classics, but still.

Strangeblades wrote:
RolandofGilead wrote:
Stele wrote:

This is the same studio that has repeatedly refused to do an Incredibles 2 until there's a valid story and good reason. And (see above link) Incredibles was the most profitable Pixar movie when released, and is still, 8 years and 5 movies later, 2nd behind TS3, but still it doesn't get a sequel until there's a story to tell.

Stupid goddamn artistic integrity, I want three Incredibles sequels! Violet could be a teen mom-to-be, pregnant with a half-vampire baby while Dash is still so short he wins child pageants while Mirage has become a daytime talk-show host for all I care. Just pick random fanfics and start rendering!

Anyway, Disney/Marvel canceled Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, so obviously the two mouse ears are hiding huge red horns (for those not familiar with my allusion, Mickey Mouse, and thus Disney, are Satan).

Gasp! Activate Jesusween!

I know my thing was weird, but I don't know how that one makes sense.