Disney Buys LucasFilm, Star Wars Episode 7 in 2015

Duoae wrote:

All the Lucasarts held game titles are now dead in the water. Seriously, outside of film tie-ins things are dead.

Man, I guess I need to give up waiting for Loom II.

I'd like a low level employee to secretly film Lucas giving his ideas on the script to the director and writers and them laughing him out of the building.

gore wrote:
Duoae wrote:

All the Lucasarts held game titles are now dead in the water. Seriously, outside of film tie-ins things are dead.

Man, I guess I need to give up waiting for Loom II.

I'm still waiting for Blizzard to make the sequel that the world deserves: Lost Vikings 3.

Edit: had the wrong quote.

gore wrote:
Duoae wrote:

All the Lucasarts held game titles are now dead in the water. Seriously, outside of film tie-ins things are dead.

Man, I guess I need to give up waiting for Loom II.

Actually, I can see Loom: The movie, as a sort of The Pagemaster or The Neverending Story style of film!:P

Duoae wrote:
gore wrote:
Duoae wrote:

All the Lucasarts held game titles are now dead in the water. Seriously, outside of film tie-ins things are dead.

Man, I guess I need to give up waiting for Loom II.

Actually, I can see Loom: The movie, as a sort of The Pagemaster or The Neverending Story style of film!:P

Don't taunt us like that.

gore wrote:

Now that Disney owns "Star Wars," I plan to continue not caring until given a solid reason to do otherwise, because I have essentially no expectations for it any more.

This is probably the best way to go about this.

Perhaps I would watch it if the screenplay were written by Elmore Leonard or Cormac McCarthy.

When I was a kid we had 6 video tapes to go with our first VCR... Looney tunes, Flintstones, and a Daniel Boone cartoon... then Star wars.... I can, to this day, recite all 3 movies word for word.

I enjoyed episodes 1-3 as well... no I haven't watched them hundreds of times because the world is different and I am an adult with responsibilities. I think a lot of people just wanted Nostalgia (capital N) and got a modern movie. They aren't bad and I think the final saber battle in Episode 3 is the best in the series... I also loved the ewoks...

So now that you all hate me and have stopped reading.

Stop whining... this is probably the absolute best thing that could have happened... Disney isn't stupid... they know it is a delicate universe and these fans complain more than any other group (which is saying something after they have dealt with Marvel fans). They will do a good job or loose potential billions... opportunity cost is a big deal to these people and they just bought the IP with the biggest sustainable potential ever made in my opinion. To me... This means we will get something good.

Duoae wrote:

All the Lucasarts held game titles are now dead in the water. Seriously, outside of film tie-ins things are dead.

This is an accurate statement, but I fail to see what it has to do with the Disney buyout.

What?

First thought: Thrawn on the big screen.

Second thought: Since apparently they're throwing out the EU canon for this movie, can I stop hating them for Vector Prime? I had read dozens of Star Wars books prior to it, and I was so turned off by what happened in that book that I have never bought another. In fact, it may be the only book I started reading and didn't finish. Yeah, I know, that probably just makes me sound like a rabid fanboy. If the shoe fits, as they say.

There's a lot of great stories and great potential in here. Just need good writers.

Budo wrote:

There's a lot of great stories and great potential in here. Just need good writers.

Paleocon wrote:

Perhaps I would watch it if the screenplay were written by Elmore Leonard or Cormac McCarthy.

nemebean wrote:

First thought: Thrawn on the big screen.

Second thought: Since apparently they're throwing out the EU canon for this movie, can I stop hating them for Vector Prime? I had read dozens of Star Wars books prior to it, and I was so turned off by what happened in that book that I have never bought another. In fact, it may be the only book I started reading and didn't finish. Yeah, I know, that probably just makes me sound like a rabid fanboy. If the shoe fits, as they say. ;)

First Response: I would love that. The Nhogri are kickass.

Second Response: It only gets worse IMHO. I stopped after Star by Star. Why they felt the need to cleanse the universe of every character ever written is beyond me.

Paleocon wrote:
Budo wrote:

There's a lot of great stories and great potential in here. Just need good writers.

Paleocon wrote:

Perhaps I would watch it if the screenplay were written by Elmore Leonard or Cormac McCarthy.

No Country For Obi Wan?

trichy wrote:
Paleocon wrote:
Budo wrote:

There's a lot of great stories and great potential in here. Just need good writers.

Paleocon wrote:

Perhaps I would watch it if the screenplay were written by Elmore Leonard or Cormac McCarthy.

No Country For Obi Wan?

.. slowclap.gif

ccesarano wrote:
gore wrote:
ccesarano wrote:
Stele wrote:
ccesarano wrote:

Why the Hell does everyone hate Cars so damn much?

It's a soulless vehicle to sell merchandise, especially the sequel.

We have a Pixar thread if you want to discuss it.

I dunno, for soulless vehicles both movies were certainly better than, say, Shrek 3 and 4, yet nobody seems to have the same hatred for that.

This is OT, but people hate Cars because Pixar is held to a higher standard due to having a history of making actual good movies. When Dreamworks releases crap, nobody cares, because everybody expects Dreamworks to release crap.

(I have a vague sense that Pixar creative is eroding as time goes on, but I still expect more from them than any other kids movie studio)

I would be much more interested in Episode VII-IV if there was a chance in hell that Pixar would do them, but these movies are sure to be live action making that incredibly unlikely. Maybe Pixar will do some animation... but that's not the part of Pixar that I actually care about.

Looking at their filmography, I still think people are full of sh*t.

Cars - a good movie.
Ratatouille - fantastic movie
WALL-E - probably their best
Up - good movie (I didn't like it as much as Ratatouille. Call me a heathen)
Toy Story 3 - fantastic movie
Cars 2 - a good movie
Brave - Haven't seen it yet

People are using Cars as an example of "what Disney did to Pixar", yet between Cars 1 and 2 you have four excellent films that met expectations, one of which is a sequel we didn't need and yet everyone loved anyway.

And you know what? Sometimes I don't mind a soulless cash grab myself. Again, I actually enjoyed Cars 2, perhaps more than I enjoyed the first one surprisingly enough (Japanese bathroom scene was hilarious), and I cannot wait to be able to go and watch Monsters Inc. in theaters again as that is one of my favorite Disney/Pixar movies.

I think the hatred for Cars is irrational, and it seems to have spread far beyond just that franchise.

And while technically this is an off-topic discussion, I find it relevant. No one here can say for certain what Disney did or did not due to Pixar, what their demands or contracts are or what their involvement in the film making process is. Even if you follow film blogs you're not getting the entire story because you aren't an active observer.

If a soulless corporation like Activision can still push out good games like Transformers: Fall of Cybertron, then I see no reason why Disney buying LucasFilm is going to be a terrible thing, especially considering their track record with Pixar, that track record being 7 movies, all of which ranged from good to fantastic.

When you say "higher standard", you're basically bitching that your four star gourmet burger may as well have come from McDonald's because it wasn't a five star gourmet burger.

Well again, it's been covered in the Pixar thread.

But All Pixar movies except the first Cars had a 94% or better at RottenTomatoes. 94%! I mean that puts every single Pixar movie in "Top 100 movies of all time" category.

First Cars was 74%.

Cars 2: 38%. The only "rotten" Pixar movie. And again, the only other one below 94% is the one it's based off of.

And here: How much is your soul worth? A nice article, using IMDB ratings, which devalue Bug's Life a bit more than all the critics at RT, but still Cars and Cars 2 occupy the bottom slots no problem.

“Cars” merchandise sales worldwide through 2010 were estimated by the LA Times at $10 billion, 51% more than the aggregate worldwide gross of all 11 Pixar movies prior to “Cars 2.”

So, the lowest rated Pixar movie ever gets a sequel? Why? Because the merchandise from the lowest rated Pixar movie ever made more money than every other Pixar movie combined. And that's how you end up with the dreck that is Cars 2. And Cars 2 was well after the Disney buyout. You can blame Cars 1 on Pixar slipping a little bit. But Cars 2: The Quest for More Money is squarely on Disney.

trichy wrote:
Paleocon wrote:
Budo wrote:

There's a lot of great stories and great potential in here. Just need good writers.

Paleocon wrote:

Perhaps I would watch it if the screenplay were written by Elmore Leonard or Cormac McCarthy.

No Country For Obi Wan?

Get Jar Jar

Paleocon wrote:
trichy wrote:
Paleocon wrote:
Budo wrote:

There's a lot of great stories and great potential in here. Just need good writers.

Paleocon wrote:

Perhaps I would watch it if the screenplay were written by Elmore Leonard or Cormac McCarthy.

No Country For Obi Wan?

Get Jar Jar

All the Pretty Ewoks

Tanglebones wrote:
Paleocon wrote:
trichy wrote:
Paleocon wrote:
Budo wrote:

There's a lot of great stories and great potential in here. Just need good writers.

Paleocon wrote:

Perhaps I would watch it if the screenplay were written by Elmore Leonard or Cormac McCarthy.

No Country For Obi Wan?

Get Jar Jar

All the Pretty Ewoks

3:10 to Tattoine

Paleocon wrote:
Tanglebones wrote:
Paleocon wrote:
trichy wrote:
Paleocon wrote:
Budo wrote:

There's a lot of great stories and great potential in here. Just need good writers.

Paleocon wrote:

Perhaps I would watch it if the screenplay were written by Elmore Leonard or Cormac McCarthy.

No Country For Obi Wan?

Get Jar Jar

All the Pretty Ewoks

3:10 to Tattoine

Bloodless (Because Light Sabers Instantly Cauterize) Meridan?

Stretched too far, didn't I...

ccesarano wrote:

When you say "higher standard", you're basically bitching that your four star gourmet burger may as well have come from McDonald's because it wasn't a five star gourmet burger.

When Pixar releases an average movie, people complain, because people expect Pixar to release excellent movies. It doesn't mean Cars is as bad as Shrek 4, it means Cars is not as good as "Wall-E" (to use a personal favorite). I'm never even going to watch Shrek 4 because I know it will be terrible, and I know this due to the fact that Dreamworks makes things that are terrible (with a very, very few exceptions).

I don't know whether your point is directed at me, but I'd take the worst Pixar movie over the best non-Pixar kid's movie any day of the week. That doesn't mean I won't still be disappointed when Pixar fails to live up to the high standards they have set themselves.

To bring this back marginally on topic, when Lucas released Episode I, I was disappointed in him. When he released Episode II, I was disappointed in him. When he released Episode III, I was disappointed in myself for expecting anything better, and I just stopped caring about the series completely.

Now that Disney owns "Star Wars," I plan to continue not caring until given a solid reason to do otherwise, because I have essentially no expectations for it any more.

Grenn wrote:

Second Response: It only gets worse IMHO. I stopped after Star by Star. Why they felt the need to cleanse the universe of every character ever written is beyond me.

Good to know. The subsequent storyline has never sounded interesting anyway, but I definitely won't go out of my way to catch up on them.

Can you imagine being a Disney employee/Stars Wars fan right now? Disney guys/gals must be going apesh*t with glee!

I'm just happy that Stars Wars and Lucasfilms are being given to people who are mostly like us.

Vargen wrote:
Duoae wrote:

All the Lucasarts held game titles are now dead in the water. Seriously, outside of film tie-ins things are dead.

This is an accurate statement, but I fail to see what it has to do with the Disney buyout.

What?

It puts paid to rest any inclination we might see a revival of those titles that didn't already already get it (aka, Sam and Max) and we may even see that fall by the wayside. Disney have no current interest in games or gaming outside of casual and Free to play.

The Road to Alderaan

Budo wrote:

The Road to Alderaan

With a CG Bob Hope!

Strangeblades wrote:

I'm just happy that Stars Wars and Lucasfilms are being given to people who are mostly like us.

Technically Paul W.S. Anderson and Uwe Boll are "people like us" as well.

Careful what you wish for.

To respond to gore and Stele: Rotten Tomatoes may be better than MetaCritic, but there are plenty of instances where a positive review when read is labeled as rotten and vice versa. Not to mention there's a lot of opinions you can nab out of it.

Fact of the matter is, was it a good movie? Not "did it live up to expectations" or "was it not as good as everything else", was it a good movie? And you still didn't mention any of the other films except WALL-E that were released in between.

So one franchise isn't as good and can be merchandised the Hell out of. Does that mean ultimate doom and gloom? Is a cash-grab always a bad thing? To use another example, did Halo: Reach need to be created? No. Was it a better Halo than Halo 3? f*ck yes, so I'm glad it exists.

Cars and Cars 2 may not be better than other Pixar films, but when I sit down and watch the movies with my niece I am still thoroughly entertained and so is she. Let's not forget who these films are being made for, and truth told my niece wanted to jump on all the Toy Story merchandising when the third film came out. That's part of the business. They did it with Ninja Turtles, they did it with Transformers, they did it with everything a kid could enjoy.

I just have a limit to what I can and cannot hate. I'm fine labeling Call of Duty a money hungry cash grab because the game's quality is questionable, not just based on the first Modern Warfare, but compared to other games in general. Cars is, no matter what way you look at it, a good movie and so is the sequel.

So Disney did not "ruin" Pixar because it has a franchise that makes a lot of cash off of merchandise. This also means Star Wars will be horrible.

Not unless they make a Star Wars television show, because Disney doesn't have any good television shows. Movies? Plenty. TV shows? Nothin'.

So I don't know where the big worry is, and I don't think I'll ever understand. Not in terms of "look what they did to Pixar!"

ccesarano wrote:

Cars is, no matter what way you look at it, a good movie and so is the sequel.

Objectively, no. Cars 2 is not good. Critic ratings and viewer ratings are consistently bad.

Also, it made the least profit (Gross - Budget) in worldwide box office of any Pixar movie.

ccesarano wrote:

So I don't know where the big worry is, and I don't think I'll ever understand. Not in terms of "look what they did to Pixar!"

It's not "omg the sky is falling." It's more... mild concern, a positive but cautious outlook. While WALL-E, Up, and Toy Story 3 were all really good, and still deserving of the name Pixar, Cars 2 was not and never should have been made. But it was, and clearly just for merchandising. A cash grab ruins a lot of the artistic integrity the studio had built over the previous 15 years.

This is the same studio that has repeatedly refused to do an Incredibles 2 until there's a valid story and good reason. And (see above link) Incredibles was the most profitable Pixar movie when released, and is still, 8 years and 5 movies later, 2nd behind TS3, but still it doesn't get a sequel until there's a story to tell. Toy Story was the only other movie that got a sequel, and when you watch, you can see the love put into them. So the choice of Cars for a sequel is such a sellout, and in direct contradiction with the way the studio usually operates.

Anyway it's likely that we'll get some good stuff out of Disney-LucasFilm. But we may also get a clunker like Cars 2, to cash in on toys. Hopefully we get some good stuff first. Hopefully we don't get a clunker at all. It would be hard for them to do anything worse than Episode 1.

Disney employs a wide range of talent. Anything they do with Lucas's stuff is sure to be better. I cannot wait to see what comes out of this match-up.

Strangeblades wrote:

Disney employs a wide range of talent. Anything they do with Lucas's stuff is sure to be better. I cannot wait to see what comes out of this match-up.

Kingdom Hearts is going to get more bad ass with Wolverine and Vader in it.