10/19/2012 - Almost exactly 1 year to the date The official "All Clear" post was put up by Mecron announcing that the game has reached the state the wish it was in at release. After 80 patches we can now play the game. I have been enjoying it for the past several months and am glad to final tell all goojers who might want a good, deep, complex, and awful purdy space pew pew 4x to go enjoy the game.
11/4 - Purchase if you want to support the game. Definetly will be the best 4x Space Empire game out there with a little more love. If you can forgive all the hairless ugly baglike apes made of mostly water involved and want to support the game itself you can now get a free copy of SOTS1 and all the current DLC if you purchase before 11/30. Current state of the game is a much more playable end-to-end beta.
As of 10/29 10:30 a.m.
I have to , very sadly, advise people not to buy the game. It appears that they are releasing a highly unfinished game that barely qualifies as a beta.
Most people are in denial and just can't believe its actually the release build but apparently it is Official PI Thread.
note: it is an update from the friday build
[size=20]Sword of the Stars 2 - Lords of Winter[/size]
Genre - Strategy, Sci-Fi, Turn Based/RTT hybrid (like Total war), 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXtermintate)
Everything you want to know about SOTS 2 from Rorshach the admin of the SOTS wiki
Developer - Kerberos
- Forum [size=10]*this is the more active/primary forum[/size]
Publisher - Paradox Interactive
- Customizable 3 section ship Building
- 6 Distinct playable races with different warp technologies and distinct styles of play
- Introduces a 7th new race, the Suul'ka
- New - Detailed star-systems with planetary orbits, moons, asteroid belts, and other space terrain!
- New - Expanded Dynamic Tech Tree (changes everytime you play, no "Best Path")
- New - Leviathan Class ships
- New - name your planets, star systems, individual ships, and possibly admirals!
- New - MARS 2 engine supporting DX10, HDR, and other delicious sugary eye-candy
- New - 3D tactical realtime combat now with controlable Y axis on 3 planes, more options for ships to control facing to mitigate damage
- New - Carriers, larger class ships can be carriers for destroyer class vessels, cool launch animations
- New - Dynamic Government, Civil Wars, expanded Diplomacy in the "Age of Empire"
- New - SOTSOPEDIA, add and share footnotes with friends