A personal announcement, emphatic thank-you, and cheers to Fedora.

There are a few pride symbols. There's the (classic) rainbow:

IMAGE(http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=22615961)

There's also symbols showing that you support the lobbying of equality, like the Human Rights Campaign logo:

IMAGE(http://webpages.scu.edu/ftp/jronen/Low%20Wage%20Images/human-rights-campaign.gif)

That's what the blue/yellow thing is? I had no idea.

SixteenBlue wrote:

That's what the blue/yellow thing is? I had no idea.

It's the HRC (Human Rights Campaign) logo.

Keldar wrote:
NSMike wrote:
Cheeto1016 wrote:

Can you please make the speech similar to my drunk mothers at my birthday party?

Leave them with something to talk about!

:)

I seriously doubt I could top Mary F. I wouldn't even try.

You mean Cheeto's not even the most unique individual in his own family?

Well, at least now we know where he gets it from.

Hypatian wrote:

On the one hand, I don't particularly want to hide the fact that I'm trans. And I really don't want to be in a position where I feel the need to skirt around answering questions

I don't even know if that was intentional or not, but am I a bad person for laughing anyway?

Carg do you have a tagging thread that I missed somewhere? I have been trying to find it and I seem to be failing...

SixteenBlue wrote:

That's what the blue/yellow thing is? I had no idea.

:/
You mean the equals sign?

SixteenBlue wrote:

That's what the blue/yellow thing is? I had no idea.

Same. I had guessed it was something like that, but I never see it other than as a stand-alone bumper sticker.

Fedaykin98 wrote:
SixteenBlue wrote:

That's what the blue/yellow thing is? I had no idea.

Same. I had guessed it was something like that, but I never see it other than as a stand-alone bumper sticker.

Ditto. I always equate blue and gold with Sweden or the University of Delaware, so I thought it was some Swedish/Ikea thing.

I have an HRC window cling in my back window.

Mixolyde wrote:
Fedaykin98 wrote:
SixteenBlue wrote:

That's what the blue/yellow thing is? I had no idea.

Same. I had guessed it was something like that, but I never see it other than as a stand-alone bumper sticker.

Ditto. I always equate blue and gold with Sweden or the University of Delaware, so I thought it was some Swedish/Ikea thing.

Until fairly recently I was similarly clueless about pink triangles.

psoplayer wrote:
Mixolyde wrote:
Fedaykin98 wrote:
SixteenBlue wrote:

That's what the blue/yellow thing is? I had no idea.

Same. I had guessed it was something like that, but I never see it other than as a stand-alone bumper sticker.

Ditto. I always equate blue and gold with Sweden or the University of Delaware, so I thought it was some Swedish/Ikea thing.

Until fairly recently I was similarly clueless about pink triangles.

This I knew, thanks to Weezer.

SixteenBlue wrote:

This I knew, thanks to Weezer.

Ditto.

tuffalobuffalo wrote:
SixteenBlue wrote:

This I knew, thanks to Weezer.

Ditto. :)

The Mel Brooks movie To Be or Not to Be.

RoughneckGeek wrote:
SixteenBlue wrote:

That's what the blue/yellow thing is? I had no idea.

It's the HRC (Human Rights Campaign) logo.

Huh, I've seen that before and thought it looked like the "support the firefighters" logo:

IMAGE(http://bit.ly/Y1p3hy)

...and since it was blue, I figured maybe it was similarly for police or something. Guess using that for awareness didn't work on me.

I'm finding a small wealth of items for straight supporters of equal rights. I have been wanting to get this pin for my ankle brace. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Straight-But...

I feel like I would have to do more than say I support equal rights or wear some pin to use the word Ally. That may be personal insecurity. Supporter, believer, person.who wants equality: yes.

Lamda Legal has a good list of gay symbols and a little history of the pride flag.
http://www.lambda.org/symbols.htm

Take it with a grain of salt; this wikipedia article has a list of the MANY other flag types out there. They range from tame to wild in meaning, but the page is overall SFW.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Agge.se/sandbox/List_of_pride_flags_and_sexual_identity_symbols#Gay_Gothic_Sexuality_Pride_Flag

As a gay community, we are diverse and represent every element of society.

@NSMike, I've been trying to think what I would want if I was to be on the receiving end of the announcement that a relative is gay. I think I'd feel pretty hurt if I came away from a family reunion, having spoken to e.g. a cousin, not discovered that they had come out since I'd last seen them and then found out that the rest of the room knew.

I'd say the options are (1) the letter/phone call/face-to-face with you beforehand, (2) a sympathetic relative who is closer to the distant relatives does something similar beforehand or (3) being prepared to tell them face-to-face in response to a "What's new?" type of open-ended question. I seem to recall a similar scenario on a recent Savage Love podcast, only the caller wanted to bring her girlfriend to the potentially-hostile family event and Dan pushed #1 or #2. That way, she could determine if the response was so openly hostile that she could just skip the event.

No major news, but I have to reiterate my astonishment at how the reactions I expected are the opposite of the ones I'm getting. My relationship with my sister continues to improve, and I actually look forward to the next time I'll get to see her.

Had an (older) family member come out yesterday. Very happy, though not surprised that the reaction from all family members was, "I'm glad you've found someone who makes you happy."

Everyone, I would like to take a moment to share with you all.

I am asexual.

That is; I do not experience sexual attraction to other people.

I've decided to come out about this here for a few reasons.

Firstly for my sake; it's something I've kept hidden in my prior romantic relationships (I am asexual but not aromantic ) and going forward I would very much like to be honest about it, I figure after sharing it with my 19000 closest internet friends sharing it with partners/potential partners should feel substantially easier.

Secondly I do it for education. One of the hardships of being asexual is that we're a pretty small subset of the population, so small that many people have no idea that it's even a thing. I think this could be at least a little improved if more of us were open about it and so here I am. If you were not aware of it existing before - now you are.

Lastly I do it in case there are any others here, if I'm not asking any of you to be out about it, just know that you're not alone.

It's certainly feels strange in this somewhat hypersexual culture with all its entailed expectations, it's another of those things some people seem to flat out refuse to accept exist simply because they can't imagine what it would be like. That or the presumption that 'there must be something wrong with you' and the like.

If you'd like to read more you can hit up http://www.asexuality.org/, also I will do my best to answer any respectful questions on either my personal experiences as an asexual or asexuality in general with the disclaimer that I do not claim authority on the matter.

Let me be one of the first of your 19000 internet friends to congratulate you on being willing to post this

*An ancient buddy from TF2 pops by for one of his six monthly board roundups rather than just earwigging the podcast and stops ... and cheers*

Very belated congrats, a salute and a hug. So glad to hear that the responses have been good Mike, great to hear that the whole experience was pretty positive it looks like, and to everyone else, full marks on being one hell of a community

krev82 wrote:

Everyone, I would like to take a moment to share with you all.

I am asexual.

That is; I do not experience sexual attraction to other people.

I've decided to come out about this here for a few reasons.

Firstly for my sake; it's something I've kept hidden in my prior romantic relationships (I am asexual but not aromantic ) and going forward I would very much like to be honest about it, I figure after sharing it with my 19000 closest internet friends sharing it with partners/potential partners should feel substantially easier.

Secondly I do it for education. One of the hardships of being asexual is that we're a pretty small subset of the population, so small that many people have no idea that it's even a thing. I think this could be at least a little improved if more of us were open about it and so here I am. If you were not aware of it existing before - now you are.

Lastly I do it in case there are any others here, if I'm not asking any of you to be out about it, just know that you're not alone.

It's certainly feels strange in this somewhat hypersexual culture with all its entailed expectations, it's another of those things some people seem to flat out refuse to accept exist simply because they can't imagine what it would be like. That or the presumption that 'there must be something wrong with you' and the like.

If you'd like to read more you can hit up http://www.asexuality.org/, also I will do my best to answer any respectful questions on either my personal experiences as an asexual or asexuality in general with the disclaimer that I do not claim authority on the matter.

I've known a few asexual people from other boards. Nothing shocking about it, but I hope it's one less burden for you having told us. Have you considered changing your username to Xem?

Hey Krev, glad you decided to post. I wish you the best in your future endeavors. This is one of the hardest orientations to understand for most folks, and it's not an easy thing to live with. Good luck to you.

I'm willing to bet asexuals make up a larger chunk of the population than we think. There's just a tiny fraction that are out about it... or even recognize that they are asexual.

Congrats for stepping up and becoming a member of that tiny fraction of the population.

Thank you for sharing, Krev! I hope telling us relieves a burden. Now let's get the rest of the world to accept asexuality and all the other sexualities in the spectrum.

Thanks for sharing, Krev:)

Thanks for sharing, krev. I have to admit that I wasn't aware of asexual or demisexual or biromantic or etc. folks before I started doing a lot more reading around while coming back to terms with my gender identity. Learning about these ideas made a lot of stuff make sense: of [em]course[/em] the range of human experience is huge and varied, why wouldn't people with those feelings exist?

But yeah, everybody wants to cram people into little boxes and assume common ideas. It's rather sad.

Major plusses for making more people aware of things and feeling that they have a connection to someone in another part of the spectrum. Educating the general populace one step at a time.

Krev82,

I mostly think it's amazing that you're reaching out to help others.

Wishing you much happiness.

Good luck, Krev! I've had an asexual friend, you are not alone!

Good on ya, Krev! I wasn't really aware of asexuality, thanks for sharing.