A personal announcement, emphatic thank-you, and cheers to Fedora.

Damn feet. Finding cute shoes is going to be a problem. If Zappos is any indication, I'm doomed to Birkenstocks, chucks, and crocs.

Edit: Nevermind. Was looking for size 12.5 and getting nothing, but 12 and 13 have plenty of cute options. Thank god.

I have no interest in cute shoes for my own feet. But you don't mind if I vicariously enjoy your interest in them?

IMAGE(http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQi4IKeuk0rxhk6-7Ofk8cGPoB3Keu9yDWUGWzkR9AWzElAiQ2LyV2QWJzd)

ClockworkHouse wrote:

Damn feet. Finding cute shoes is going to be a problem. If Zappos is any indication, I'm doomed to Birkenstocks, chucks, and crocs.

Edit: Nevermind. Was looking for size 12.5 and getting nothing, but 12 and 13 have plenty of cute options. Thank god.

Sizing for women's shoes and women's anything really is so frickin' variable. How did you determine your size is 12.5, because I find it depends greatly on the manufacturer.

Demyx wrote:
ClockworkHouse wrote:

Damn feet. Finding cute shoes is going to be a problem. If Zappos is any indication, I'm doomed to Birkenstocks, chucks, and crocs.

Edit: Nevermind. Was looking for size 12.5 and getting nothing, but 12 and 13 have plenty of cute options. Thank god.

Sizing for women's shoes and women's anything really is so frickin' variable. How did you determine your size is 12.5, because I find it depends greatly on the manufacturer.

I find women's sizing so intriguing and ridiculous. Not so much with shoes but I've never understood the point in using sizes that aren't consistent when you can just use measurements.

SixteenBlue wrote:

I find women's sizing so intriguing and ridiculous. Not so much with shoes but I've never understood the point in using sizes that aren't consistent when you can just use measurements.

I am 100% there with you. Hate trying on clothes for this reason.

Not to mention the clothes seem to mostly be made for a woman who's shaped differently from me, I guess. I'll find a nice dress in my size and find out that it fits at the waist but is too big in the shoulders. And the next size down, of course, fits in the shoulders but the waist is too small. AUGH.

So, uh, that's what you have to look forward to, newly minted women! Don't get too discouraged

I was discussing women's vs men's sizing with a female friend last week. She was blown away that, as a man, all I need to do to find my pants size is measure my waist and inseam.

Demyx wrote:
ClockworkHouse wrote:

Damn feet. Finding cute shoes is going to be a problem. If Zappos is any indication, I'm doomed to Birkenstocks, chucks, and crocs.

Edit: Nevermind. Was looking for size 12.5 and getting nothing, but 12 and 13 have plenty of cute options. Thank god.

Sizing for women's shoes and women's anything really is so frickin' variable. How did you determine your size is 12.5, because I find it depends greatly on the manufacturer.

The usual rule of thumb is that your size for women's shoes is your size for men's plus two. It'll still vary from brand to brand (as it does with men) but that's the baseline.

But I've already noticed some great variation in sizing when shopping for jeans. At Alloy I'm a size 11; at Old Navy I'm a size 10; at some other place, I was a size 8. Thank God for sizing charts.

Can I just say that shopping for women's clothing is way, way more fun than shopping for men's? Aside from the odd article here and there, I'm not really at a point where I should be shopping for women's clothing, but I'm doing it anyway because it's so much more fun. It gets overwhelming and expensive, for sure, but there's a variety in what's available that you just don't see for men.

I suspect I'll end up with a pretty tomboyish look, but even then I like that there's a whole range of, say, shoes, or cuts of jeans, or styles of shirt that can all create different looks or work in different situations. It's a world of difference from the, to my eye, really boring world of men's fashion where everything is more or less the same. I'm looking forward to buying and wearing women's clothes where I've always dreaded shopping before.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

The usual rule of thumb is that your size for women's shoes is your size for men's plus two. It'll still vary from brand to brand (as it does with men) but that's the baseline.

That's cool. If I ever wanted to wear men's shoes, they'd have to be boy's shoes, because I'm at the very bottom of sizes for women (5 1/2 - 6).

Can I just say that shopping for women's clothing is way, way more fun than shopping for men's? Aside from the odd article here and there, I'm not really at a point where I should be shopping for women's clothing, but I'm doing it anyway because it's so much more fun. It gets overwhelming and expensive, for sure, but there's a variety in what's available that you just don't see for men.

I suspect I'll end up with a pretty tomboyish look, but even then I like that there's a whole range of, say, shoes, or cuts of jeans, or styles of shirt that can all create different looks or work in different situations. It's a world of difference from the, to my eye, really boring world of men's fashion where everything is more or less the same. I'm looking forward to buying and wearing women's clothes where I've always dreaded shopping before.

It's great to see you're enjoying it so much! I sometimes envy men's departments actually because all the sizing makes sense and you can always get classic, sensible things. As a tomboyish woman I often tire of every other thing having ruffles or flowers or whatever and long for clean lines.

Especially the dress clothes, oh man is it hard to navigate the dress clothes. I sincerely wish that you have better luck than I have. It seems like everything formal is either made for teens going to prom or old ladies going to a funeral with no in between. I just want a sensible dress for a business dinner!

But yeah, it can be fun. What I prefer to clothes shopping is shopping for personal beauty products. I highly recommend getting yourself some nice flowery or fruity shower gel and shampoo for first thing in the morning

ClockworkHouse wrote:

*shopping notes*

Interestingly, your posts now read in a female voice in my head. No volition on my part; that's just how they sound now.

(There; see how easy that is on the internet? :grin:)

ClockworkHouse wrote:

The usual rule of thumb is that your size for women's shoes is your size for men's plus two. It'll still vary from brand to brand (as it does with men) but that's the baseline.

Hmmm. I always heard it as a size and a half. Doesn't really matter, things that are X size all vary, as you say.

Radical Ans wrote:

I was discussing women's vs men's sizing with a female friend last week. She was blown away that, as a man, all I need to do to find my pants size is measure my waist and inseam.

I hate to tell you that vanity sizing has invaded the likes of mens clothing too.
Its impossible to find a 15.5/36 dress shirt at most stores that isn't mis measured and baggily cut.
Ah, the woes of the tall and wiry.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

The usual rule of thumb is that your size for women's shoes is your size for men's plus two. It'll still vary from brand to brand (as it does with men) but that's the baseline.

Yep. I'm a 10 in women's, and an 8 in men's shoes.

What's so hard to figure out about size zero? That's clothing for ghosts, right?

ClockworkHouse wrote:

Can I just say that shopping for women's clothing is way, way more fun than shopping for men's? Aside from the odd article here and there, I'm not really at a point where I should be shopping for women's clothing, but I'm doing it anyway because it's so much more fun. It gets overwhelming and expensive, for sure, but there's a variety in what's available that you just don't see for men.

Yeah, I sometimes wonder why men's fashion is basically so conservative, limited, and prescribed, whereas for women the world is their oyster. Take formal wear (please!): men get suits, and... suits. And let's face facts, they're all basically identical. But women have infinite choice in dresses alone, before even considering shoes let alone other outfits. (And I hate suits, so I try to just get away with a sweater and slacks when I can.)

And then there's the fact that women can also wear "men's" styles—from jeans and t-shirts and onwards—but absolutely and definitely not vice versa. Maybe kilts if you can provide a good reason to society. But nobody should be wearing utilikilts.

But this is all an intellectual question for me. I'm a jeans-nerdy-t-shirt-and-sneakers guy anyway, and fortunate with work that I can dress how I prefer (often to my wife's chagrin) so I'm not looking to change things for myself. But Clock, you sound like you have a pretty wide open road ahead of you now.

What we need now is a sleepover where we stay up all night doing each other's hair, swapping makeup tips, and reading crappy fashion magazines. Think of it as part of the process

clover wrote:

What we need now is a sleepover where we stay up all night doing each other's hair, swapping makeup tips, and reading crappy fashion magazines. Think of it as part of the process :D

Hell, I could probably use training in that, too.

I don't know how to use makeup. I barely manage foundation/blush/lip gloss for special events >_>

Remedial GWJer makeup training time?

I could use it. And I have 3 feet of hair here I need to think of something to do with besides a long braid down my back.

momgamer wrote:

I could use it. And I have 3 feet of hair here I need to think of something to do with besides a long braid down my back.

IMAGE(http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_eI0ZGxMRgA0/S_YbxqrWRCI/AAAAAAAAC5E/I7n42AZsCRo/s320/big_hair.jpg)

momgamer wrote:

I could use it. And I have 3 feet of hair here I need to think of something to do with besides a long braid down my back.

Three must make it hard to walk.

IMAGE(http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ezjvyhsjcNE/T3Nx0Az9vGI/AAAAAAAAAXo/ECX7cCiPlcY/s1600/Hobbit.jpg)

LiquidMantis wrote:
momgamer wrote:

I could use it. And I have 3 feet of hair here I need to think of something to do with besides a long braid down my back.

Three must make it hard to walk.

IMAGE(http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ezjvyhsjcNE/T3Nx0Az9vGI/AAAAAAAAAXo/ECX7cCiPlcY/s1600/Hobbit.jpg)

I'm curious how you think the braid would run down my back unless it was long enough to do that whole Shel Silverstein bit.

momgamer wrote:

I could use it. And I have 3 feet of hair here I need to think of something to do with besides a long braid down my back.

Haha, I have hair all the way down to my waist and don't even braid it, just brush it.

This may be the wrong forum to visit for hair and makeup tips

Can someone tell me what's going on? Thread started, Mike and Fedora came out. Thread continued, Hypation said he was transgender. Now we have Clockwork, who I think is a man with a family, saying he's going to buy women's clothes. Is he a transvestite?

I don't care who people are, I'm just confused as to what's going on.

1Dgaf wrote:

Can someone tell me what's going on? Thread started, Mike and Fedora came out. Thread continued, Hypation said he was transgender. Now we have Clockwork, who I think is a man with a family, saying he's going to buy women's clothes. Is he a transvestite?

I don't care who people are, I'm just confused as to what's going on.

Not sure if I should speak for her, but ClockworkHouse is essentially in the same position as Hypation. The family aspect doesn't make much of a difference since her wife is fully supportive.

1Dgaf wrote:

Can someone tell me what's going on? Thread started, Mike and Fedora came out. Thread continued, Hypation said he was transgender. Now we have Clockwork, who I think is a man with a family, saying he's going to buy women's clothes. Is he a transvestite?

I don't care who people are, I'm just confused as to what's going on.

Yup. Well, tx. Gotta keep up, this thread moves fast.

Right, OK. Transgender, not transvestite. Fine. Good. Carry on.

Can we get a flowchart?
This is a fun/enlightening and amazingly informative thread.

1Dgaf wrote:

Can someone tell me what's going on? Thread started, Mike and Fedora came out. Thread continued, Hypation said he was transgender. Now we have Clockwork, who I think is a man with a family, saying he's going to buy women's clothes. Is he a transvestite?

I don't care who people are, I'm just confused as to what's going on.

Hypatian is transgender, and is a 'she,' as well as Clockwork.

Yes, thanks. Am aware of the terminology - read out a letter from a transgender listener on pronoun use / gender in gaming after we discussed it on a show.

1Dgaf wrote:

Yes, thanks. Am aware of the terminology - read out a letter from a transgender listener on pronoun use / gender in gaming after we discussed it on a show.

Then please be sensitive to the correct usages. Thanks.

1Dgaf wrote:

Can someone tell me what's going on? Thread started, Mike and Fedora came out. Thread continued, Hypation said he was transgender. Now we have Clockwork, who I think is a man with a family, saying he's going to buy women's clothes. Is he a transvestite?

I don't care who people are, I'm just confused as to what's going on.

I usually find that the best way to be updated on a thread is to just read the thread, rather than to enter into one and ask semi-judgemental questions about the current status of said thread.

But that is just me.