Space Sims/Strategy Games Catch-All

Seems almost like a Roguelike version of Cloudpunk. Which is a fantastic game, btw.

Stele wrote:

Any thoughts on The Captain

Free on Epic this week

Looks cool. Installing. But someone tell me if I should play it. ;)

It's very fun AND funny.

Budo wrote:

Dear God, a game like that would just stop all my other gameplay. It's basically No Man's Sky but with actual individuals populating the setting.

Dude it's so good, please get it. You get a massive universe in which to be a space taxi driver for $8. It's a damned steal.

TAXINAUT is played with a beverage in one hand and your mouse in the other.

Sold.

Yup, entirely mouse controlled. Some tips:

Pause all the time. This lets you get your bearings and decide where to move next to avoid collisions.

Talk to everyone. You could get a fare that way, or a location you didn't know about.

Before you take a fare, be sure it's to a known location. Stick with fares in your planet/system when just starting out.

Don't hit stuff or you won't have enough money in the early game to do things you need to. Enough said.

Uh so Sins of a Solar Empire 2 is in development. Is this old news? Because the first game was awesome; felt like space 4X Moba with the capital ship abilities.

Bfgp wrote:

Uh so Sins of a Solar Empire 2 is in development. Is this old news? Because the first game was awesome; felt like space 4X Moba with the capital ship abilities.

No we all just found out today.

I just am more excited about Taxinaut.

Feels like I played hundreds of hours of Sins. Not sure I have the time now but maybe.

14 years since the first game. How the heck did the team at Ironclad stay employed? I know there are DLCs, but still.

The first one is on Games Pass; I bought the game on a CD many years ago but my current build doesn't have an optical drive

Not sure the first one has aged that well but the developer interview for the next one sounds like they're going to make it more meaty than the first.

Veloxi wrote:
Budo wrote:

Dear God, a game like that would just stop all my other gameplay. It's basically No Man's Sky but with actual individuals populating the setting.

Dude it's so good, please get it. You get a massive universe in which to be a space taxi driver for $8. It's a damned steal.

Graphics look quite clunky... do these grow on you in terms of atmosphere? I am on the fence, but I am a sucker for ooze and atmosphere (e.g. Banner Saga had the most beautiful atmosphere and breeze there was. FTL had it very simple - but it worked, Sunshine heavy industries didn't do it for me: too much purple and bleeps somehow).

Taxinaut is a one-man project that's been what, nine years in development? Six years? So I'm thinking the graphics will stay as what they are. Still, in the short time I've played, I find them functional. The do allow you to focus on avoiding other traffic while still noting areas of interest (businesses, space ports, etc) passing by in enough time to react to them if you need to, and I think that's the important thing.

But then I grew up on 70's arcade and home arcade games so...

I absolutely love the graphical style. I believe he said he's been working on it for six years. In Java no less. We learned a lot in our recent interview with the dev, if I may share.

https://www.spacegamejunkie.com/podc...

OMG y'all, Emperor of the Fading Suns has gotten a MASSIVE PATCH on GOG and is now called Emperor of the Fading Suns Enhanced!

https://www.gog.com/game/emperor_of_...

I mean OMG look at these patch notes!

https://items.gog.com/emperor_of_the...

Gonna have to dive back in.

Holy crap that's a lot of changes

The game was initially built using the Watcom development environment...

Now there's a name I've not heard in a long, long time.

This is perfect timing actually. I've been wondering what long-form space game to play on Mondays after I finish Star Fleet II, so I think this will be it!

Robear wrote:

Seems almost like a Roguelike version of Cloudpunk. Which is a fantastic game, btw.

I bounced off Cloudpunk. The backdrops were beautiful. But I was railroaded into everything flying from A to B, couldn't open a package - even when I was told NOT to look into it. Couldn't drop punters off at a wrong point to annoy them. It wasn't very open-worldy and quit rigid for me.

If you do buy it, and it does not start up correctly - crashes, or hangs after the intro video - try this. Fixed it for me.

1 - Go to the game folder, then in there go inside the "DAT" folder.
2 - Once inside open the EFS.ini file as a text.
3 - Change the line "video_on=1" to "video_on=0" and save.

Got this from a helpful post on the GOG discussion board for the game.

It's really quite something to see this game after... 25 years? Really.

Amazing. Damn I'm old.

Robear wrote:

If you do buy it, and it does not start up correctly - crashes, or hangs after the intro video - try this. Fixed it for me.

1 - Go to the game folder, then in there go inside the "DAT" folder.
2 - Once inside open the EFS.ini file as a text.
3 - Change the line "video_on=1" to "video_on=0" and save.

Got this from a helpful post on the GOG discussion board for the game.

It's really quite something to see this game after... 25 years? Really.

Amazing. Damn I'm old.

Worked for me too. Good find.

If anyone is interested, Terra Invicta is *really* good, folks.

Tried stellar monarch 2. Played the first one but it was a bit needlessly complex for me. This one I said I'd try it out for a bit then three hours passed.

Pretty good.

Veloxi wrote:

OMG y'all, Emperor of the Fading Suns has gotten a MASSIVE PATCH on GOG and is now called Emperor of the Fading Suns Enhanced!

https://www.gog.com/game/emperor_of_...

I mean OMG look at these patch notes!

https://items.gog.com/emperor_of_the...

Gonna have to dive back in.

JESUS. I mean I just installed Star Dynasties and Stellar Monarch and then I see this?

Man, those EFS graphics looked a lot better in my memory.

gewy wrote:

Man, those EFS graphics looked a lot better in my memory.

Yeah they were a bit rough even in 1996.

Just watched a few minutes of a Dwarf Fortress streamer playing Stardeus, and, wow. It's a lot.

Quick shoutout for the IGWJ play day where I'm going to be hosting multiplayer Stellaris. I really haven't gotten into multiplayer so I'm excited. All are welcome - check out the spreadsheet in the main thread for details!

I’m interested in Stardeus, but if it’s overwhelming DF players, well.. Cancer brain is not going to play well with that…

Veloxi wrote:

OMG y'all, Emperor of the Fading Suns has gotten a MASSIVE PATCH on GOG and is now called Emperor of the Fading Suns Enhanced!

https://www.gog.com/game/emperor_of_...

I mean OMG look at these patch notes!

https://items.gog.com/emperor_of_the...

Gonna have to dive back in.

I thought this was House of the Dying suns and it turns out that excellent space shooter is on sale for about $5 dollars right now!