Space Sims/Strategy Games Catch-All

May or may not be of interest to this group, but Galactic Civilizations IV announcement trailer:

I have minor interest, at best.

They've gotta bring more to the table than doing the same thing again, but with a bigger (visual) ship builder.

I'm probably going to get mocked by the more hardcore space sim folks around here, but...

Star Wars: Squadrons (via PC Game Pass) ain't half bad. I'm only a couple of missions in, and yes, I'm playing with a controller, and no, it's not the greatest dog-fighting game experience out there, but I'm enjoying just dropping into some Star Wars space combat for a quick 30 minutes at a time.

As long as you realize it's also not half good we'll have no qualms, you and I.

Yeah, I bounced off it hard. It looked cool, but I didn't enjoy playing it. One day I'll get back to it because the kids enjoyed the Star Wars pew pew of it all.

Veloxi wrote:

As long as you realize it's also not half good we'll have no qualms, you and I.

At least it's better than Everspace and Drox Operative - both of which I refunded.

I think they might be fighting words here.

Nevin73 wrote:

I think they might be fighting words here.

Yeah I know. I'm only teasing Veloxi because, while we may have differing opinions on a lot of games, I still respect the work he puts into SGJ.

I enjoyed Squadrons for what it is - an arcade dog fighting shooter meant to be played with a controller. It's not a space sim, it's not meant for HOTAS, and if you can get past that the multiplayer dog fighting is quite fun.

So Trevor named a colony in Star Fleet II after me and I'm really honored.

IMAGE(https://i.ibb.co/hLv8vP0/image.png)

I'm not sure how I feel about being invaded, though:

IMAGE(https://i.ibb.co/7QpwH9N/image.png)

Congratulations!

As I was streaming Star Fleet II today, someone said, "I think the graphics are fine but the UI should be a lot easier. and the scope of the game could be a lot grandeur or more things to do."

I was like, There's full scale ground invasion, subterfuge, space combat, boarding action, etc etc. There's a full-blown war right going on right now that I, as an admiral, am managing myself.

Then they said, "when I mentioned more complex things or things to do. I would say maybe fighting the war as an admiral on multiple star systems."

I was like, THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I AM DOING RIGHT NOW. I just defended my starfort in one system from like six ships, and now I'm attacking an enemy colony in another. There are multiple star systems in each sector, which are randomly generated for each mission.

I wonder if we have to try and sell this game better because they were LITERALLY describing what I was doing RIGHT THEN.

Sounds like a troll, tbh

Does the game still have a time limit?

Veloxi wrote:

So Trevor named a colony in Star Fleet II after me and I'm really honored.

IMAGE(https://i.ibb.co/hLv8vP0/image.png)

I'm not sure how I feel about being invaded, though:

IMAGE(https://i.ibb.co/7QpwH9N/image.png)

Didnt realize your name was unknown. Must make some introductory conversations tough.

Mr Bismarck wrote:

Does the game still have a time limit?

Every mission has a time limit, and these go up as you go further up the ranks. My current mission has a ninety day time limit, for example. I think the very first mission has a ten day time limit.

I usually hate time limits, but here all that happens is that you have to run the mission again. You get to keep your stats and booty from previous runs so you're not losing anything.

Hey Veloxi, I watched some YT video which had an advertisement for Infinite Lagrange. It looks pretty, and I know it's a free to play game and I could very easily check it out myself, but I was wondering if you've formed any opinions of it yet?

merphle wrote:

Hey Veloxi, I watched some YT video which had an advertisement for Infinite Lagrange. It looks pretty, and I know it's a free to play game and I could very easily check it out myself, but I was wondering if you've formed any opinions of it yet?

Played for an hour. Never been so bored. IT was a basic click-fest mobile-style game. So. Boring.

Veloxi wrote:
merphle wrote:

Hey Veloxi, I watched some YT video which had an advertisement for Infinite Lagrange. It looks pretty, and I know it's a free to play game and I could very easily check it out myself, but I was wondering if you've formed any opinions of it yet?

Played for an hour. Never been so bored. IT was a basic click-fest mobile-style game. So. Boring.

Cool, thanks for saving me some time. <3

GoG space sale for 12 more days. Any must haves?

Stele wrote:

GoG space sale for 12 more days. Any must haves?

Too much good stuff on that list. Must-haves for me would be:

Starpoint Gemini Warlords
Shadow Empire
GalCiv III
Interstellar Space: Genesis
Offworld Trading Company
Sins of a Solar Empire®: Rebellion Ultimate Edition

Stele wrote:

GoG space sale for 12 more days. Any must haves?

My short list:
Sins of a Solar Empire - I don't like RTS anymore but this moves slowly enough that my old tired brain can keep up
Shadow Empire - this is my current obsession. Learning curve is pretty steep but it does all make "sense": once you know where to find stuff. Deep game with a lot going on.
Kerbal Space Program - still fun blowing stuff up
Offworld Trading Company - see my note on Sins
Surviving Mars - fun Mars colony game
Rimworld - fun agent-based game where things go bad in hilarious ways

Not sure how they hold up:
Star Control 1 & 2

Must have if you don't mind old UI
XCOM UFO Defense
Star Trek 25th Anniversary
Star Trek Judgment Rites
Starfleet Command

Maybe?
AI War
Homeworld - I don't really like RTS games any more but lots of people do; this is pretty classic
Starpoint Gemini Warlords
Stellaris

Interesting. Neither of you mentioned Everspace 2. Is it a price-point issue, or simply because it's still in development?

Still in development.

Looks like Shadow Empire is the only one you both mentioned that I don't have... will look into it the next few days.

merphle wrote:

Interesting. Neither of you mentioned Everspace 2. Is it a price-point issue, or simply because it's still in development?

I haven't played it. I defer to the Master (aka Veloxi).

Stele wrote:

Looks like Shadow Empire is the only one you both mentioned that I don't have... will look into it the next few days.

If you pull the trigger or while doing your due diligence, I highly recommend watching DasTactic's current Let's Play/Tutorial series for 1.0.9. He explains a lot and flattens the learning curve.

I second DasTactic's series on Shadow Empire. Great stuff. I still absolutely suck at it, but less than when I started lol.

Third DasTactic. He's the best.

Jeez Everspace 2 is looking amazing. My will to hold out to release is crumbling as there already looks like there is a great game there (and they are targeting next summer for full release).

Wayfarer wrote:

Jeez Everspace 2 is looking amazing. My will to hold out to release is crumbling as there already looks like there is a great game there (and they are targeting next summer for full release).

There's currently maybe 5-10 hours of content there right now and it's GREAT. VERY eagerly awaiting 1.0.