Space Sims/Strategy Games Catch-All

Everspace is great on the PC, don't have a Switch though.

I loved it on PC, keyboard and mouse

Just what I was going to ask, Wink. I'm a sucker for rogue-likes these days...

I also tried the 360 controller, quite a lot, but I eventually settled on keyboard and mouse. (I’m very much a PC guy)

Hey friends, welcome to another week of fun, spacey gaming! I am back on the horse from videos, and this week (and next) I'll be covering what is likely the biggest space game release of 2018: X4: Foundations! Yay!

This week on the podcast (Tuesday, 5:00 PM Pacific, Twitch, YouTube, Mixer), we'll be taking a clinical look at the user experience in space games (and likely other types of games as well)!

Finally on this week's LAN Party (Thursday, 5:00 PM Pacific, Twitch, YouTube, Mixer), we'll be getting our trek on in Star Trek: Bridge Crew!

Thanks for being awesome y'all!

Veloxi wrote:

likely the biggest space game release of 2018: X4: Foundations!

It's December, and you kind of have your thumb on the pulse of the market, you think someone is going to sneak a bigger release out in the next 3 weeks?

Yonder wrote:
Veloxi wrote:

likely the biggest space game release of 2018: X4: Foundations!

It's December, and you kind of have your thumb on the pulse of the market, you think someone is going to sneak a bigger release out in the next 3 weeks? :)

Likely not, but surprises happen.

Welcome to another week of spacey games my friends! This week, we continue our journey through the fun-but-still-flawed X4: Foundations!

On this week's podcast (Tuesday, 6:00 AM Pacific, Twitch, YouTube, Mixer), speaking of X4, we'll be getting up early in the morning to talk to the folks at Egosoft about X4 and the series as a whole.

This Thursday on the LAN Party (Thursday, 5:00 PM Pacific, Twitch, YouTube, Mixer), we'll be returning to a beloved favorite, Space Beast Terror Fright, which as undergone a lot of changes since we last played.

Thanks for being awesome y'all!

I was twiddling my thumbs this weekend with perhaps too much free time on my hands.
I fired up Gratuitous Space Battles for a few hours of fun but then that got stagnant.
Deep Rock Galactic crashed on loading so I don't know what is up with that.

But I finally settled on Dawn of War 2 Retribution. I had decided to play DoW2 but couldn't decide whether to play Chaos Rising or Retribution. Being able to play as Chaos rather than becoming corrupted sealed the deal.

Oh man did I miss this game! It is so, so good! I know the campaign is short but the missions are good and the units are good. The upgrades are good. The plot isn't Shakespeare but it has the Warhammer vibe to it. Plus, you get to play as the Tyrannids! That alone should be worth its weight in gold. (or void as it were)

Relic, get on it. Make me a true sequel. (Or convert Pillars of Eternity to this style of tactical strategy game, you can almost get their with the unit AI scripting)

Welcome to another week of spacey gaming this week, my friends, the final week of content for 2018! This week, our last game of 2018 is the expandalone to last year's tactical strategy RPG thing, Ancient Frontier, this time called Ancient Frontier: Steel Shadows!

For this week's podcast (Tuesday, 5:00 PM Pacific, Twitch, YouTube, Mixer), we'll take a look back at 2018 and talk about what surprised and disappointed us, as well what we're looking forward to in 2019.

Finally, on the Thursday LAN Party (Thursday, 5:00 PM Pacific, Twitch, YouTube, Mixer), we'll close out 2018 with some more bug-bashing hysterics in Earth Defense Force 4.1!

Thanks for being awesome y'all!

Veloxi... any word about Shortest Trip to Earth?

It came up in my Discovery Queue on Steam, something actually interesting. Looks like an FTL clone of sorts but I love that game so much I'm ok with it.

Stele wrote:

Veloxi... any word about Shortest Trip to Earth?

It came up in my Discovery Queue on Steam, something actually interesting. Looks like an FTL clone of sorts but I love that game so much I'm ok with it.

My short time with it has been fun.

Hey friends, happy new year, and welcome to 2019! YAY! We're back from break with a buncha stuff I hope you'll like. First up, we have plenty of videos to start your year with. Event Horizon is a poorly-explained and implemented space game that you totally should avoid. On the flip side of the coin, Hypergate is a fantastic, fun and frantic space combat game that any joystick jockey needs to play. Finally, I spent some time with the character and intrigue-driven Crusader Kings in space grand strategy game, Star Dynasties!

Speaking of which, on the Podcast this week (Tuesday, 5:00 PM Pacific, Twitch, YouTube, Mixer), we'll be talking to the developer of the aforementioned Star Dynasties himself!

Finally, on Thursday's LAN Party (Thursday, 5:00 PM Pacific, Twitch, YouTube, Mixer), we'll be tooling around with the open-world active tower defense game, Eden Rising: Supremacy!

Thanks for being awesome y'all!

Interesting. Event Horizon was on my queue in winter sale and then added to wishlist because of positive reviews. But I see the recent reviews are all mixed now.

And Hypergate never came up. Sounds like it's a bit short, so $11 isn't bad, but would have been nice to know in the Steam sale.

It wasn't on sale during the Steam sale as it just dropped. It's worth $11.

Welcome to another week of spacey gaming my friends! This week is an odd one, my friends. I was planning on doing five entries -- the usual number -- of this thing called Space Tycoon, but I could only get through three because this thing is BAT-FORKING INSANE. In a not-fun-but-joy-sucking way. So if I can get my joy back, I'll likely do a video or two for later in the week, but as I write this, I've no idea.

On the podcast this week (Tuesday, 5:00 PM Pacific, Twitch, YouTube, Mixer), we'll be talking to the developer of the really fun space fighter combat game, Hypergate!

For this week's LAN Party (Thursday, 5:00 PM Pacific, Twitch, YouTube, Mixer), we'll be giving the strategic tactical roguelike thing For the King a whirl!

Thanks for being awesome y'all!

Looks like GC3 is getting more content, which is a good thing.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/gal...

So a bit of sad news, you guys. The developer of Rogue System suffered a head injury last year, and is still recovering, apparently.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/366...

Mike is a really good guy, and was the first guest on our podcast back in the day, so of course I hope he recovers speedily, game or no game.

Veloxi wrote:

Looks like GC3 is getting more content, which is a good thing.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/gal...

I can't be bothered to play it with the current legal sh*t storm.

Veloxi wrote:

So a bit of sad news, you guys. The developer of Rogue System suffered a head injury last year, and is still recovering, apparently.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/366...

Mike is a really good guy, and was the first guest on our podcast back in the day, so of course I hope he recovers speedily, game or no game.

Oh, man, that's sad. I've loved their approach to the science side of things.

Veloxi wrote:

So a bit of sad news, you guys. The developer of Rogue System suffered a head injury last year, and is still recovering, apparently.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/366...

Mike is a really good guy, and was the first guest on our podcast back in the day, so of course I hope he recovers speedily, game or no game.

That's a bummer. I remember that podcast, and Mike definitely seems like a genuinely good person.

garion333 wrote:
Veloxi wrote:

Looks like GC3 is getting more content, which is a good thing.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/gal...

/quote]

Oh, man, that's sad. I've loved their approach to the science side of things.

I can't blame you, but I'm trying to be neutral in the whole thing.

Hrdina wrote:

That's a bummer. I remember that podcast, and Mike definitely seems like a genuinely good person.

Yeah, he was always a delight to talk to.

Guys, the wonderful and amazing Helium Rain is now available on GOG if y'all like your games DRM free!

https://www.gog.com/game/helium_rain

It doesn't seem to have a forum thread of it's own but does anyone else own Battlefleet Gothic 2? It's a little rough from what I've tried. Some ships are missing weapons, some of the eldar weapons are called "lascannons" instead of the bright lances they presumably are. There are various other interface bugs too.

Tamren wrote:

It doesn't seem to have a forum thread of it's own but does anyone else own Battlefleet Gothic 2? It's a little rough from what I've tried. Some ships are missing weapons, some of the eldar weapons are called "lascannons" instead of the bright lances they presumably are. There are various other interface bugs too.

It's been getting decent enough reviews in various forums. I'm going to be picking it up, I meant to preorder, but forgot (I own the first one). It's a decent enough game, some bugs but fun and I enjoyed the WH40K atmosphere they captured. Another one, more X-Com than spacey goodness is Adeptus Mechanics which is very good.

Hey friends, welcome to another week of spacey gaming! This week starts the first of two weeks looking at the first big space game release of 2019, Battlefleet Gothic: Armada II. Today we start with the prelude Cadian campaign, have some fun with the Imperium campaign, then next week, we'll toy around with the Necrons. It's a great time!

This week on the podcast (Tuesday, 5:00 PM Pacific, Twitch, YouTube, Mixer), we'll look back at the games we've covered on the show and see which have released, which are still in development, and which have sadly been abandoned. We'll also check in with each other and see what we've been playing of late.

Finally, on Thursday's LAN Party (Thursday, 5:00 PM Pacific, Twitch, YouTube, Mixer), we're gonna toy around with the co-op gameplay of the zombie-killing parkour simulator, Dying Light.

Should be a fun week y'all, hope you can stop by for some of it. Thanks so much!

SpyNavy wrote:
Tamren wrote:

It doesn't seem to have a forum thread of it's own but does anyone else own Battlefleet Gothic 2? It's a little rough from what I've tried. Some ships are missing weapons, some of the eldar weapons are called "lascannons" instead of the bright lances they presumably are. There are various other interface bugs too.

It's been getting decent enough reviews in various forums. I'm going to be picking it up, I meant to preorder, but forgot (I own the first one). It's a decent enough game, some bugs but fun and I enjoyed the WH40K atmosphere they captured. Another one, more X-Com than spacey goodness is Adeptus Mechanics which is very good.

I've been keeping an eye on it, but I have to finish the first one before I'll let myself buy the second.

Welcome to another week of spacey gaming y'all, and we have a LOT to cover this week! We have three games to look at this week, starting with a new Necron campaign in Battlefleet Gothic: Armada II. I also take a short look at Genesis Alpha One. Short because it scared me too much, so I could only get a couple of entries out of it. To make up the gap, I played a few entries of the non-space game Nomads of the Fallen Star -- from the developer of Star Nomad 1 and 2 -- which will start on Wednesday.

On this week's podcast (Tuesday, 5:00 PM Pacific, Twitch, YouTube, Mixer), we'll be talking to the developer of the space shooter Apolune.

Finally, on Thursday's LAN party (Thursday, 5:00 PM Pacific, Twitch, YouTube, Mixer), we'll be trying out the boardgamey roguelike For the King!

Thanks for being awesome y'all!

You guys, Objects in Space is hitting 1.0 on March 1st! YAY!

https://flatearthgames.cmail20.com/t...

Veloxi wrote:

You guys, Objects in Space is hitting 1.0 on March 1st! YAY!

https://flatearthgames.cmail20.com/t...

Yay! I loved the open access build I played months ago. Looking forward to giving it a go again!

Yeah, that is an interesting game.