Space Sims/Strategy Games Catch-All

plavonica wrote:

Cool video.

VERY neat, thanks for sharing!

For all those wondering about Distant Worlds, and decrying the lack of a demo - here's another Let's Play series for you to have a watch of, to see if it might appeal. This guy (Das24680) does really good LP series, and his earlier series of DW got me into the game.

He does make an interesting point in passing, which I agreed with the more I thought about it. This game does work better for you if you think of it as a 'space opera' as opposed to a traditional 4x, and does generate interesting stories...those who watched his previous DW series will remember him spending ages hunting down an unkillable pirate ship.

Das is good. I'm subscribed to him and the dude puts out a ton of content.

Yeah, Lord knows how he's managing to do LP series of Distant Worlds and Dominions 3 at the same time.

He's more man than any of us.

Or maybe he's an AI. Possibly even one running multiple copies of itself.

I'm envisaging him with 2 monitors, playing Dominions with one hand while playing DW with the other. And since his accent seems to be Australian, he's got one of those helmets with 2 beers and 2 straws. And there will be a poisonous spider somewhere. Probably writing up his notes.

davet010 wrote:

I'm envisaging him with 2 monitors, playing Dominions with one hand while playing DW with the other. And since his accent seems to be Australian, he's got one of those helmets with 2 beers and 2 straws. And there will be a poisonous spider somewhere. Probably writing up his notes.

The poisonous spider is playing Dominions with him. Depending on how cliche the spider is feeling he may even be playing the poisonous spider race.

Yonder wrote:
davet010 wrote:

I'm envisaging him with 2 monitors, playing Dominions with one hand while playing DW with the other. And since his accent seems to be Australian, he's got one of those helmets with 2 beers and 2 straws. And there will be a poisonous spider somewhere. Probably writing up his notes.

The poisonous spider is playing Dominions with him. Depending on how cliche the spider is feeling he may even be playing the poisonous spider race.

It probably wanted to, but the crocodile wouldn't let it.

The three mods for Distant Worlds Legends, Graphics Enhancement Mod, Distant Worlds Extended and Sirian's Resources Mod work with all of the official expansions?

Strangeblades wrote:

The three mods for Distant Worlds Legends, Graphics Enhancement Mod, Distant Worlds Extended and Sirian's Resources Mod work with all of the official expansions?

After watching that LP, I installed them and they work perfectly. I'm running all the expansions; my version of Legends is patched up to 1.7.0.20. I believe the Extended mod requires 1.7.0.17 or later, according to its release notes.

tboon wrote:
Strangeblades wrote:

The three mods for Distant Worlds Legends, Graphics Enhancement Mod, Distant Worlds Extended and Sirian's Resources Mod work with all of the official expansions?

After watching that LP, I installed them and they work perfectly. I'm running all the expansions; my version of Legends is patched up to 1.7.0.20. I believe the Extended mod requires 1.7.0.17 or later, according to its release notes.

Excellent. Also, is your little icon a flamethrower? A particular flamethrower? Or a real one?

Strangeblades wrote:

Excellent. Also, is your little icon a flamethrower? A particular flamethrower? Or a real one?

Oh, it's real. It's very real.

"With every day, and from both sides of my intelligence, the moral and the intellectual, I thus drew steadily nearer to the truth, by whose partial discovery I have been doomed to such a dreadful shipwreck: that man is not truly one, but truly two."

By day he is "Dr. Tboon", the mild mannered, swim-meet-attending grand strategy gamer. But come the night, everywhere from 2fort to Badwater crackles with palpable fear of Mr. Tboon, whose unearthly laugh foretells the coming of a baptism of fire, a terrifying inferno the likes of which man was never meant to see.

That "little icon" is the instrument of his will. May God have mercy on our souls.

Archangel wrote:
Strangeblades wrote:

Excellent. Also, is your little icon a flamethrower? A particular flamethrower? Or a real one?

Oh, it's real. It's very real.

"With every day, and from both sides of my intelligence, the moral and the intellectual, I thus drew steadily nearer to the truth, by whose partial discovery I have been doomed to such a dreadful shipwreck: that man is not truly one, but truly two."

By day he is "Dr. Tboon", the mild mannered, swim-meet-attending grand strategy gamer. But come the night, everywhere from 2fort to Badwater crackles with palpable fear of Mr. Tboon, whose unearthly laugh foretells the coming of a baptism of fire, a terrifying inferno the likes of which man was never meant to see.

That "little icon" is the instrument of his will. May God have mercy on our souls.

TL;DR He plays the Pyro on TF2.

Strangeblades wrote:
Archangel wrote:
Strangeblades wrote:

Excellent. Also, is your little icon a flamethrower? A particular flamethrower? Or a real one?

Oh, it's real. It's very real.

"With every day, and from both sides of my intelligence, the moral and the intellectual, I thus drew steadily nearer to the truth, by whose partial discovery I have been doomed to such a dreadful shipwreck: that man is not truly one, but truly two."

By day he is "Dr. Tboon", the mild mannered, swim-meet-attending grand strategy gamer. But come the night, everywhere from 2fort to Badwater crackles with palpable fear of Mr. Tboon, whose unearthly laugh foretells the coming of a baptism of fire, a terrifying inferno the likes of which man was never meant to see.

That "little icon" is the instrument of his will. May God have mercy on our souls.

TL;DR He plays the Pyro on TF2.

Well, sure. I GUESS you could boil it down to one simple sentence. But where's the epic feel in that?!

I've got all the mods installed for DW with all the expansions.

Extended mod guy says the races play differently. Any suggestions? I'm looking for a wacky time.

Archangel wrote:
Strangeblades wrote:

Excellent. Also, is your little icon a flamethrower? A particular flamethrower? Or a real one?

Oh, it's real. It's very real.

"With every day, and from both sides of my intelligence, the moral and the intellectual, I thus drew steadily nearer to the truth, by whose partial discovery I have been doomed to such a dreadful shipwreck: that man is not truly one, but truly two."

By day he is "Dr. Tboon", the mild mannered, swim-meet-attending grand strategy gamer. But come the night, everywhere from 2fort to Badwater crackles with palpable fear of Mr. Tboon, whose unearthly laugh foretells the coming of a baptism of fire, a terrifying inferno the likes of which man was never meant to see.

That "little icon" is the instrument of his will. May God have mercy on our souls.

I think this is my most favorite thing anyone has ever written about me...*sniff*. I just wish sigs could be longer. Thank you for this Archangel. Doesn't mean you get a fire-discount though.

@Strangeblades: My new game I started as an old stand-by so cannot help you there. The new ship-art in Extended doesn't have the additions made in Graphical enhancements by the way, although the UI elements in GEM will still be there.

The Extended mod author wrote a little piece on each new race in the readme file (and on the forum). I am sure there's a race of chainsaw wielding horrors in there somewhere.

"The Extended mod author wrote a little piece on each new race in the readme file (and on the forum). I am sure there's a race of chainsaw wielding horrors in there somewhere." - Here's hoping.

I've been using the Extended mod for a couple of months now and LOVE the variety it adds to the game. So glad you guys are enjoying it too.

Those are nice tweaks, but what I really want is for a different symbol for colony ships on the minimap.

That extended mod may actually force my hand to play the game seriously.

...seriously!

OK. Does the DW Extended Mod work with the GEM and Resource mods? I don't get those snazzy outlines around my ships when I switch to the Extended mod in the customization tab.

Strangeblades wrote:

OK. Does the DW Extended Mod work with the GEM and Resource mods? I don't get those snazzy outlines around my ships when I switch to the Extended mod in the customization tab.

It does. However, playing as a non-standard race, you will not get the outlines since each race's ship images are independent from the others. So the spiffy outlines were only drawn on the standard races' ships.

tboon wrote:
Strangeblades wrote:

OK. Does the DW Extended Mod work with the GEM and Resource mods? I don't get those snazzy outlines around my ships when I switch to the Extended mod in the customization tab.

It does. However, playing as a non-standard race, you will not get the outlines since each race's ship images are independent from the others. So the spiffy outlines were only drawn on the standard races' ships.

Thanks

I am loving Strike Suit Zero! It's not as good as some of the classics, but it's still a lot of fun and just soooooo great to be playing a polished space sim again.

OMG, new Imperium Galactica game coming out called Stargazer! Not much known right now, but you can download a tech demo at http://stargazer.imperiumgalactica.com/. So excited!

Hey Veloxi did you ever check out that java-based remake of the first Imperium Galactica? I basically missed out on 1 and 2 and I don't recall if anyone remade them for PC yet. Though I think someone did IG2 for IOS already.

I did try the java remake of IG, but it didn't really work well. I have a new rig now, so maybe I'll give it a whirl. And yeah, IG2 has been on the iPad for a little while now, lucky bastards...