Random thing you love right now that doesn't deserve its own thread

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/nwm7J4Jl.jpg)

Won a contest a couple of weeks ago; got to meet Brian Henson at a screening of the Farscape miniseries last night. He was incredibly nice, and talked with me, my wife and our friends for about 30 minutes

ringsnort wrote:

Then again, a cup of rice, two cups of tap water, bring to boil in a 2 quart pan, reduce heat and simmer covered for 20 minutes. Turn off heat and let stand 5 minutes. That's not bad rice, either.

Personally, I ate rice cooked like this for years and years before getting my first rice cooker. I will never, ever go back and that's just from an inexpensive Aroma cooker.

AnimeJ wrote:
ringsnort wrote:

Then again, a cup of rice, two cups of tap water, bring to boil in a 2 quart pan, reduce heat and simmer covered for 20 minutes. Turn off heat and let stand 5 minutes. That's not bad rice, either.

Personally, I ate rice cooked like this for years and years before getting my first rice cooker. I will never, ever go back and that's just from an inexpensive Aroma cooker.

Yeah, it's hard to beat the "fill to line, push button, walk away" that even the cheapest rice cooker gives you.

edosan wrote:
AnimeJ wrote:
ringsnort wrote:

Then again, a cup of rice, two cups of tap water, bring to boil in a 2 quart pan, reduce heat and simmer covered for 20 minutes. Turn off heat and let stand 5 minutes. That's not bad rice, either.

Personally, I ate rice cooked like this for years and years before getting my first rice cooker. I will never, ever go back and that's just from an inexpensive Aroma cooker.

Yeah, it's hard to beat the "fill to line, push button, walk away" that even the cheapest rice cooker gives you.

I hadn't even thought of it like that. to me, even a cheap rice cooker makes rice that beats the pants off anything I can make on the stovetop.

Iridium884 wrote:

I accepted an offer for a new job in Boston.

I'd call it a high-risk, high-reward move since the company may be bought soon, but they're paying for me to move. I've been looking to make a move for a while, both because I've plateaued at my current place and I was just sort of bored where I was. Looking forward to hitting up Pandemonium when I get the chance.

Now, to find an apt....

Welcome to town, we've got a thread right here for you!

AnimeJ wrote:
edosan wrote:
AnimeJ wrote:
ringsnort wrote:

Then again, a cup of rice, two cups of tap water, bring to boil in a 2 quart pan, reduce heat and simmer covered for 20 minutes. Turn off heat and let stand 5 minutes. That's not bad rice, either.

Personally, I ate rice cooked like this for years and years before getting my first rice cooker. I will never, ever go back and that's just from an inexpensive Aroma cooker.

Yeah, it's hard to beat the "fill to line, push button, walk away" that even the cheapest rice cooker gives you.

I hadn't even thought of it like that. to me, even a cheap rice cooker makes rice that beats the pants off anything I can make on the stovetop.

Absolutely! The rice cooker is all about making perfect rice, time after time, with minimal effort. Even with YEARS of experience, I still on the rare occasion will miss a timer and scorch a pot of stove top rice. Few things suck more than spoiling a carefully prepared stir fry meal or homemade curry with jacked up rice. To anyone on the fence about adding a rice cooker to their collection of kitchen gadgets, I say buy it! If nothing else, think of it as meal insurance. If everything else goes wrong with with meal prep BUT you've got a pot of perfect rice, you're still okay. A bowl of great rice with some quality tamari or other soy sauce is still fine eats.

If all goes wrong, you can still scoop hot rice from the cooker, mix an egg into it, and then sprinkle it with soy sauce/hot sauce/both of your choice and them's still fine eating. That's as close as you get to a microwave-dinner levels of effort and still be eating real food.

LarryC wrote:

If all goes wrong, you can still scoop hot rice from the cooker, mix an egg into it, and then sprinkle it with soy sauce/hot sauce/both of your choice and them's still fine eating. That's as close as you get to a microwave-dinner levels of effort and still be eating real food.

...and now I'm hungry. Thanks, LarryC.

LarryC wrote:

...and then sprinkle it with soy sauce/hot sauce/both of your choice...

My current quick rice topping of choice is a mix of soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and a dash of garlic/chili sauce. Oh, that's good stuff!

ringsnort wrote:
LarryC wrote:

...and then sprinkle it with soy sauce/hot sauce/both of your choice...

My current quick rice topping of choice is a mix of soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and a dash of garlic/chili sauce. Oh, that's good stuff!

Either soy sauce, or McIlhenny's chipotle sauce for me

I do the egg/rice with kimchi personally.

My 11 y/o son finished his first creative writing assigment last night. Damn, I was impressed at his use of language. The kid may have a gift.

Nevin73 wrote:

My 11 y/o son finished his first creative writing assigment last night. Damn, I was impressed at his use of language. The kid may have a gift.

Awesome! What was the assignment?

Tanglebones wrote:
ringsnort wrote:
LarryC wrote:

...and then sprinkle it with soy sauce/hot sauce/both of your choice...

My current quick rice topping of choice is a mix of soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and a dash of garlic/chili sauce. Oh, that's good stuff!

Either soy sauce, or McIlhenny's chipotle sauce for me

QFT.

I think i go to Chipotle twice a week simply because they have bottles of McIlhenny's chipotle laying around. I also go through 1/3rd of a bottle on my burrito bowls

This link comes from my wife. I give you, Offerman Woodshop.

Chairman_Mao wrote:
Nevin73 wrote:

My 11 y/o son finished his first creative writing assigment last night. Damn, I was impressed at his use of language. The kid may have a gift.

Awesome! What was the assignment?

Write a scary story. It's rough but considering he's in 5th grade and just learning to write creatively, I'm proud of this. For those who have interest in reading an 11 y/o's take on a scary story, I present this to you:

It was Halloween at the haunted house. There were monsters every where, witches here, mummies there, ghosts every where. There is a haunted maze where there are monsters living in there. If you go in you might not come out.

There are monsters trying to kill us. There are witch’s flying around us on brooms. There is a haunted ride that you might not come out of alive. You have to get by the monsters that are trying to get you if you get by them you can have the candy on the other side but not many people can get to the other side you are more then welcome to try but you are not going to make it.

Now about the haunted ride: You get on the ride here. The ride takes you to the other side but it is not that easy to do. You have to get past the pit of snakes, then you have to balance on a rope, which is under a pit of spiders. You have to pass a pack of wolves. Now let us talk about the haunted maze: there is corn up to a car, there are monsters behind every corner and then you have to get past an army of monsters and get out of the maze alive. Which way is it you want to go: the haunted maze or the haunted ride, trying to get past the monsters? Either way you will get killed. I would go with the haunted maze, but that is just me; which way is it for you?
Good luck with what you are going to do. You are going to need it because the ways that I told you are imposable to do. I hope you have fun trying to do it but you are not going to get past the army of the monsters. Hey, what am I saying? Never say never, so if you do not get it try again and have fun trying and trying because you will never win. When and if you get to the other side you have to do the next house and do what they did there because you have to make it back to your house and in one piece. Whether you make it or not is up to you, but if you all work together you have a slight chance to make it to the other side but you’re not going to make it. As I said there is a 50% chance you make it and 50% chance you do not make it. As I said, good luck. You are going to need it. Have fun getting scared.

I need to find a way to buy family size containers of Tapatío. Or I could stop putting it on absolutely everything.

But seriously, that stuff needs to come in family size.

McIrishJihad wrote:

I both love and hate you all. I do not know how these all wound up in my cart tonight at the store.

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/TrcWY0h.png)

Spoiler:

Yes I do, I volunteered to make them for tomorrow's Halloween party

I am so proud. If you need a taste-tester, you let me know. I will do it for free.

sometimesdee wrote:
Mimble wrote:

Bacon wrapped prunes. I am in love, and am going to need bigger pants.

You'd think that the prunes would ensure none of the bacon stays behind...

So, basically, what you're saying is, the prunes cancel out the bacon and I should eat as many of these as I want, whenever I want, and that the money I was going to spend on bigger pants would be better spent on more bacon and prunes.

That is what you're saying, right?

Nevin73 wrote:
Chairman_Mao wrote:
Nevin73 wrote:

My 11 y/o son finished his first creative writing assigment last night. Damn, I was impressed at his use of language. The kid may have a gift.

Awesome! What was the assignment?

Write a scary story. It's rough but considering he's in 5th grade and just learning to write creatively, I'm proud of this. For those who have interest in reading an 11 y/o's take on a scary story, I present this to you:

It was Halloween at the haunted house. There were monsters every where, witches here, mummies there, ghosts every where. There is a haunted maze where there are monsters living in there. If you go in you might not come out.

There are monsters trying to kill us. There are witch’s flying around us on brooms. There is a haunted ride that you might not come out of alive. You have to get by the monsters that are trying to get you if you get by them you can have the candy on the other side but not many people can get to the other side you are more then welcome to try but you are not going to make it.

Now about the haunted ride: You get on the ride here. The ride takes you to the other side but it is not that easy to do. You have to get past the pit of snakes, then you have to balance on a rope, which is under a pit of spiders. You have to pass a pack of wolves. Now let us talk about the haunted maze: there is corn up to a car, there are monsters behind every corner and then you have to get past an army of monsters and get out of the maze alive. Which way is it you want to go: the haunted maze or the haunted ride, trying to get past the monsters? Either way you will get killed. I would go with the haunted maze, but that is just me; which way is it for you?
Good luck with what you are going to do. You are going to need it because the ways that I told you are imposable to do. I hope you have fun trying to do it but you are not going to get past the army of the monsters. Hey, what am I saying? Never say never, so if you do not get it try again and have fun trying and trying because you will never win. When and if you get to the other side you have to do the next house and do what they did there because you have to make it back to your house and in one piece. Whether you make it or not is up to you, but if you all work together you have a slight chance to make it to the other side but you’re not going to make it. As I said there is a 50% chance you make it and 50% chance you do not make it. As I said, good luck. You are going to need it. Have fun getting scared.

This is pretty awesome. The part where he writes, "Hey, what am I saying," is a clever and kind of funny turn; it's like he's giving you hope you could survive just before the floor drops out from under you.

Mimble, they were awesome.

'Course, we had a vegetarian show up, who turned her nose at the bacon. And then someone who claimed to "get migraines from nitrates", who wouldn't even try one.

I did half with blue cheese, and half plain. But all were topped with brown sugar to form an additional crunch. The blue cheese ones were interesting, but the plain ones seemed to be missing - something. Next time, maybe I'll stuff them with almonds.

Hypatian wrote:

I need to find a way to buy family size containers of Tapatío. Or I could stop putting it on absolutely everything.

But seriously, that stuff needs to come in family size.

You mean like this? Not sure where you're located at Hyp, but those big bottles are found in pretty much every grocery store where I live.

Also, the "frequently bought together" section on that page... *swoon*

oilypenguin wrote:

This link comes from my wife. I give you, Offerman Woodshop.

One mustache comb, please, and thank you!

fleabagmatt wrote:

You mean like this? Not sure where you're located at Hyp, but those big bottles are found in pretty much every grocery store where I live.

Also, the "frequently bought together" section on that page... *swoon*

Ooo. Yeah. I don't think I've seen it around here, but I'll keep looking. 32oz. would definitely last more than a week.

McIrishJihad wrote:
Tanglebones wrote:
ringsnort wrote:
LarryC wrote:

...and then sprinkle it with soy sauce/hot sauce/both of your choice...

My current quick rice topping of choice is a mix of soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and a dash of garlic/chili sauce. Oh, that's good stuff!

Either soy sauce, or McIlhenny's chipotle sauce for me

QFT.

I think i go to Chipotle twice a week simply because they have bottles of McIlhenny's chipotle laying around. I also go through 1/3rd of a bottle on my burrito bowls :D

So here is one of my rice/ramen additions of choice:

IMAGE(http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/515ZR5WWTGL.jpg)

Hypatian wrote:
fleabagmatt wrote:

You mean like this? Not sure where you're located at Hyp, but those big bottles are found in pretty much every grocery store where I live.

Also, the "frequently bought together" section on that page... *swoon*

Ooo. Yeah. I don't think I've seen it around here, but I'll keep looking. 32oz. would definitely last more than a week. :D

If you're not sure, there's always this one.

D: That might actually be too much Tapatío.

McIrishJihad wrote:

Mimble, they were awesome.

'Course, we had a vegetarian show up, who turned her nose at the bacon. And then someone who claimed to "get migraines from nitrates", who wouldn't even try one.

I did half with blue cheese, and half plain. But all were topped with brown sugar to form an additional crunch. The blue cheese ones were interesting, but the plain ones seemed to be missing - something. Next time, maybe I'll stuff them with almonds.

I want to come over to your house and eat all the things that have bacon on or in them. I'll bring my own bigger pants.

Also, do people actually get headaches from nitrates? What are nitrates, anyway? I've got a couple of friends that claim allergies to damn near everything but have never actually been tested for any allergies ever. Drives me bonkers.

Nitrates/Nitrites are used in the meat curing process. They kill bacteria, and stabilize the meat for long term storage, and are also the reason bacon/brisket are still "red" when you buy them. Typically, you'll see either sodium nitrite or potassium nitrate in the list of ingredients, to indicate that the item has been chemically cured.

On the other hand, I'm not a food scientist, but I don't really see a correlation, unless someone is eating a metric sh*t-ton of nitrates/nitrites.

Maybe next time I'll make some home-made bacon that is either salt-cured or cold smoked...

Egg-rice with soy sauce actually goes well with chicken nuggets or a leg of KFC. I'm fairly sure this is not nutritionally kosher.

LarryC wrote:

Egg-rice with soy sauce actually goes well with chicken nuggets or a leg of KFC. I'm fairly sure this is not nutritionally kosher.

A leg of KFC is at least, by evidence of it's physical form, actual food.

Modern food science (all too often the practice of taking otherwise inedible animal byproducts and reprocessing them) has unfortunately rendered foods like the chicken nugget far too suspect to ever find a place on my plate. Egg rice and soy sauce will do just fine all by itself.