Random thing you love right now that doesn't deserve its own thread

After burning myself out with a torrent of recent freelance work and some overtime from my day job as well, I managed to deliver a massive 20% drop kick to the balls to my line of credit this morning. Feeling really good about that. f*ck you TD and your stupid rate increases! This thing's going DOWN!

Coldstream wrote:
Mimble wrote:
Katy wrote:
H to the ickle wrote:

I bought a new pillow yesterday and felt pretty foolish for paying more than $10 for it. I slept INCREDIBLY last night. Damn.

What sort of pillow? I never really know what kind to get.

I'm a big fan of wool pillows. I got mine at Bed Bath and Beyond (they don't have it listed on the site for some reason). But it stays reasonably cool when it's hot, it doesn't get that weird sleep smell after a few months like regular pillows do, and mine has a gel core that makes it supportive but comfy whether I sleep on my back or my side.

Mine was about $80 CDN - the most I have ever spent on a pillow, but totally worth the money for a good night's sleep.

I got this pillow a while back. It took me a few nights to get used to it, but it took care of some serious neck/shoulder pain (I'm a side-sleeper) and now I don't want to sleep on anything else.

I used to have one of those too! It took me a little while to get used to the soft crunchy sort of noises when I turned over, but it was great for my allergies. I'd order that one to try one again if Amazon would ship it to Canada...*grumble grumble*

The missus and I went in to her doctor's office yesterday and got to listen to a very tiny heart beating.

Kraint wrote:

The missus and I went in to her doctor's office yesterday and got to listen to a very tiny heart beating.

Your micro diorama of the Telltale Heart frightens me.

KingGorilla wrote:
Kraint wrote:

The missus and I went in to her doctor's office yesterday and got to listen to a very tiny heart beating.

Your micro diorama of the Telltale Heart frightens me.

I begged you to look at mine first... I begged you!

Stormaggedon is brewing.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

Stormaggedon is brewing.

Is that like a new lager or something?

McIrishJihad wrote:
ClockworkHouse wrote:

Stormaggedon is brewing.

Is that like a new lager or something?

I think Anheiser Busch just found some old stock of Bud Ice in the back of a warehouse and relabeled the bottles.

McIrishJihad wrote:
ClockworkHouse wrote:

Stormaggedon is brewing.

Is that like a new lager or something?

IMAGE(http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltduptkeAJ1qgmc2xo1_500.jpg)

ianunderhill wrote:
Rykin wrote:

A big part of the problem I have with them is that they were hyping their site as being different than Kotaku and JoyStiq and their ilk and then they hired a bunch of people from those site who just do the same stuff they did while working for those sites.

The thing that really bugs me is when I follow 6 different gaming sites and end up seeing the same story show up in my feeds like 10 time because the people working for the sites aren't following their own sites to see what has been posted already.

What? Of course there's going to be replication of subject matter between sites covering the same field. Polygon's stupid mistake was touting their imagined difference as an entity rather than saying, "We think our writers are smarter and better and more insightful than those on all those other sites, check us out."

Whether that's true or not, and whether we're talking games journalism or news in general, the reason I usually bother to check multiple sources covering the same story is because I put value on different perspectives. Granted, it's not always possible, as there are some stories that are going to be slim on the editorial content just based on subject matter alone, but that's both the nature of the beast and the reason I use an RSS feed reader to quickly chop through the treacle and isolate what stories I want to read in full. I also just plain favor some writers over others.

Is this really so mysterious a process, or is the amount of ire some people seem to reserve for Polygon just some overly-fermented sour grape stuff? If you think they're bad, if you're indefinitely irked by those "we're different and here's our artsy fartsy story!" videos from how many months back, whatever...have you considered just ignoring them outright? It'd be easier.

I actually like Polygon, but I like them for their original content more than the reposting of some PR blurb that Kotaku covered 8 hours before that is barely even worth mentioning in the first place. I also like Arthur Gies as a reviewer because we have similar tastes in games (except open world games, Crysis 2, and Rage). Also he does a damn fine job at laying out their articles.

Max: "Can I drive?"

Sam: "Sure, as long as you don't mind me clawing at the dash and screaming like a cheerleader."

Opening sequence, original Sam and Max Hit the Road.

momgamer wrote:

Max: "Can I drive?"

Sam: "Sure, as long as you don't mind me clawing at the dash and screaming like a cheerleader."

Opening sequence, original Sam and Max Hit the Road.

Still one of my favorite games of all time.

Max: "Bring me as many naked women as my poor eyes can stand!"
Sam: "Jesus, Max, you don't even like girls."

Rykin wrote:

I actually like Polygon, but I like them for their original content more than the reposting of some PR blurb that Kotaku covered 8 hours before that is barely even worth mentioning in the first place.

Well..."good and too bad - that's how news sites, gaming-oriented or not, tend to work"? Really, I get your point, I just don't think a big site like that can avoid having that happen. They'd get a whole lot more flak from their detractors for "dropping the ball" by electively not covering a blurby story that three other big sites did. In the case of Polygon, for whatever reason, they pay way too much attention to their detractors, but overall, the reason Joystiq, Kotaku, Polygon, etc. are going to cover the same stuff because there's an expectation and there's really no avoiding it. They're also all guilty of this, so I'm a little puzzled why you're singling out Polygon, though I can sort of see it if you're choosing to hold them to a higher standard. Maybe the best solution for you, short of ditching the news-blurb-replicating-sites you like least, is to find a feed reader that yields shorter abstracts for each story, or configuring your existing one for such if the options are there?

ianunderhill wrote:

Well..."good and too bad - that's how news sites, gaming-oriented or not, tend to work"? Really, I get your point, I just don't think a big site like that can avoid having that happen. They'd get a whole lot more flak from their detractors for "dropping the ball" by electively not covering a blurby story that three other big sites did. In the case of Polygon, for whatever reason, they pay way too much attention to their detractors, but overall, the reason Joystiq, Kotaku, Polygon, etc. are going to cover the same stuff because there's an expectation and there's really no avoiding it. They're also all guilty of this, so I'm a little puzzled why you're singling out Polygon, though I can sort of see it if you're choosing to hold them to a higher standard. Maybe the best solution for you, short of ditching the news-blurb-replicating-sites you like least, is to find a feed reader that yields shorter abstracts for each story, or configuring your existing one for such if the options are there?

^Good things there.

Rewatching Babylon 5 yet again. (The twentieth anniversary of the pilot's airdate was Feb 22)

It's good stuff, but man there is some terrible acting in that first season.

One of my favorite songs ever - just rediscovered it tonight.
Sparklehorse - It's a Wonderful Life

Puce Moose wrote:

One of my favorite songs ever - just rediscovered it tonight.
Sparklehorse - It's a Wonderful Life

oh yes, and the track right after that. Hell that whole album was pretty much excellent.

I love Sparklehorse. I was pretty bummed when the guy killed himself. RIP.

Learning music theory.

I don't even have to buy a book: the library has several, including online versions. Found a recently (2008) published online version for electronic musicians! I can use my MIDI keyboard and a Grand Piano synth.

I spent 7 years playing an instrument in the public education system, and I never had a formal lesson on music theory.

After weeks of work, moving, etc., finally seeing my house listed for sale with it's very own MLS#.

Taking a snow day, and actually feeling motivated to do a major house cleaning.

Winter is over in Seattle. How do I know this? Because I drove to the store with the top down.

Hi there Vitamin D, it's been a while

Jonman wrote:

Winter is over in Seattle.

SHHHHH IT WILL HEAR YOU

clover wrote:
Jonman wrote:

Winter is over in Seattle.

SHHHHH IT WILL HEAR YOU

Don't matter. The top's already been down. Unless winter has a time machine and can go back and stop me from doing that, it's outta luck. That's as official as official gets.

Jonman wrote:

Winter is over in Seattle. How do I know this? Because I drove to the store with the top down.

Hi there Vitamin D, it's been a while :)

Even if winter is over it may be a while. You do live in Seattle.

S0LIDARITY wrote:
Jonman wrote:

Winter is over in Seattle. How do I know this? Because I drove to the store with the top down.

Hi there Vitamin D, it's been a while :)

Even if winter is over it may be a while. You do live in Seattle.

I just take Vitamin D each morning...

S0LIDARITY wrote:
Jonman wrote:

Winter is over in Seattle. How do I know this? Because I drove to the store with the top down.

Hi there Vitamin D, it's been a while :)

Even if winter is over it may be a while. You do live in Seattle.

Yeah, but we're having one of the three days a year that remind you of why you put up with the other 362.

Our kitty is drunk on sunshine.

momgamer wrote:
S0LIDARITY wrote:
Jonman wrote:

Winter is over in Seattle. How do I know this? Because I drove to the store with the top down.

Hi there Vitamin D, it's been a while :)

Even if winter is over it may be a while. You do live in Seattle.

Yeah, but we're having one of the three days a year that remind you of why you put up with the other 362. ;)

I intend no negativity, I'm still mournful over my unsuccessful job interview in Bellevue last Spring.

S0LIDARITY wrote:
momgamer wrote:
S0LIDARITY wrote:
Jonman wrote:

Winter is over in Seattle. How do I know this? Because I drove to the store with the top down.

Hi there Vitamin D, it's been a while :)

Even if winter is over it may be a while. You do live in Seattle.

Yeah, but we're having one of the three days a year that remind you of why you put up with the other 362. ;)

I intend no negativity, I'm still mournful over my unsuccessful job interview in Bellevue last Spring.

Never forget: Winter is coming.