Random thing you love right now that doesn't deserve its own thread

My sister's bad/awesome day.

Bad: she got "laid off" (the head office of the pool company she works for is full of jerks and they cut her position "because of reasons". These are the same people that called regularly to spew obscenities at her when they screwed stuff up and she pointed out, screwed with her hours and vacation time, cut her off from selling anything that would give her commissions (which is too bad, she was good at that), gave no raises ever and underpaid her while piling on more and more work.

To get out of this cycle of badness, she is in school taking courses to become a law clerk.

Good: She sends in her resume today, about an hour after she was fired, to a law firm near where she lives; 20 mins later she got called for an interview this week.

Getting fired from that crap job was just the fire under her butt that she needed to get out of the dead-end job she's been in for years. If she gets this job at the law firm, I hope she writes a "thank you for doing me the biggest favour ever, jerks" letter to the head office of that pool place.

Mimble wrote:

Good: She sends in her resume today, about an hour after she was fired, to a law firm near where she lives; 20 mins later she got called for an interview this week. :D

Yowza. IMAGE(http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab221/Strangeblades/Emoticons/smiley_emoticons_hurra2.gif)

My mom's chili! It's the only chili I've had that has mushrooms and broccoli bits, and it's fantastic. She filled up a couple of empty pasta jars with her chili and sent me home with them after Thanksgiving. Dinner for several days, yay!

Just did the math on how much extra I'm getting paid to be in Korea for a month. Almost makes it worth it.

IMAGE(http://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_725214_642089_1352520115.jpg)

Puce Moose wrote:

My mom's chili! It's the only chili I've had that has mushrooms and broccoli bits, and it's fantastic. She filled up a couple of empty pasta jars with her chili and sent me home with them after Thanksgiving. Dinner for several days, yay!

Those actually sound like really awesome chilli additions...I may have to try that one day.

I put that in white chilis. I may have to venture into the red with that.

I love 8-days-in-the-future-me. Imminent Future Jon is having a lovely time, thanks for asking. He's sipping a drink with a paper umbrella in it from the comfort of the beach in Maui, getting prepared for a fun-filled week of blasting down a volcano on a bike, morning runs along the beach, riding a horse for the first time, snorkelling, and stuffing his future-mouth with delicious future fish.

Jonman wrote:

I love 8-days-in-the-future-me. Imminent Future Jon is having a lovely time, thanks for asking. He's sipping a drink with a paper umbrella in it from the comfort of the beach in Maui, getting prepared for a fun-filled week of blasting down a volcano on a bike, morning runs along the beach, riding a horse for the first time, snorkelling, and stuffing his future-mouth with delicious future fish.

I has future envy... Enjoy!

Future Jon and Future Dan have much in common.

KingGorilla wrote:

Future Jon and Future Dan have much in common.

Male pattern baldness? A gradual slide into alcoholism?

Keeping my hair, and I am diving into it like Scrooge McDuck into his money.

Jonman wrote:
KingGorilla wrote:

Future Jon and Future Dan have much in common.

Male pattern baldness? A gradual slide into alcoholism?

To hear most Goodjers talk, it isn't a gradual slide.

TigerBill wrote:
Jonman wrote:
KingGorilla wrote:

Future Jon and Future Dan have much in common.

Male pattern baldness? A gradual slide into alcoholism?

To hear most Goodjers talk, it isn't a gradual slide. ;)

You shut yer shtinking...thing...mouth, yer...bloody......umm...where'sh my beer?

Ghostship wrote:
Schrensky wrote:

That's awesome! I might have to check and see if Disneyland has one of these shops and pick one up for myself.

Can you even imagine the willpower it took not to march over there and make one for myself after Auntie, Uncle, and the boys showed up with these?

You have more willpower than I. When my girls picked up a pair of these a few weeks ago at Disneyworld, I let them "convince" me that we should get a set for myself and my wife as well

Now I need to check them at home for this secret feature you mention.

*Eagerly awaiting Teneman's furious return after destroying his lightsaber*

Schrensky wrote:

*Eagerly awaiting Teneman's furious return after destroying his lightsaber*

Nah, I'll test with one of the kids' sabers first. I'm no amateur

First day off in months. I had errands to run, but I had four glorious hours with the house to myself and Saints Row the Third on my computer from the latest Steam sale. Ahhh.

Jonman wrote:

I love 8-days-in-the-future-me. Imminent Future Jon is having a lovely time, thanks for asking. He's sipping a drink with a paper umbrella in it from the comfort of the beach in Maui, getting prepared for a fun-filled week of blasting down a volcano on a bike, morning runs along the beach, riding a horse for the first time, snorkelling, and stuffing his future-mouth with delicious future fish.

Very Recent Past Kraint did several of those things in that locale. It was great.

In other love news, I am hosting a LAN party this weekend. I've got a big room in my house, borrowed tables/chairs filling it, networking, refreshments, and a spouse who is also excited to participate. I predict much fun will be had, and my buddy's 3yo(who will also be attending) will learn all kinds of new words and phrases!

Communist Party mouthpiece People's Daily republishes The Onion story:
North Korea's top leader named The Onion's Sexiest Man Alive for 2012
IMAGE(http://english.people.com.cn/mediafile/201211/27/F201211271114517176214725.jpg)

Complete with 55-page online photo spread.

Trader Joe's South African Smoke spice blend. It was excellent went my swai tonight.

S0LIDARITY wrote:

Trader Joe's South African Smoke spice blend. It was excellent went my swai tonight.

One opened here this year and it's been fantastic. Wheat pizza dough for like $1.15. Cat cookies. Independent soda brands. So much good stuff.

Stele wrote:
S0LIDARITY wrote:

Trader Joe's South African Smoke spice blend. It was excellent went my swai tonight.

One opened here this year and it's been fantastic. Wheat pizza dough for like $1.15. Cat cookies. Independent soda brands. So much good stuff.

Whoa, you guys got a TJ? What part of Florida are you in?

Well there's only one in Florida... in Sarasota... although people drove all the way from Orlando, Tampa, and other areas 1-2 hours away for the grand opening.

Stele wrote:
S0LIDARITY wrote:

Trader Joe's South African Smoke spice blend. It was excellent went my swai tonight.

One opened here this year and it's been fantastic. Wheat pizza dough for like $1.15. Cat cookies. Independent soda brands. So much good stuff.

I'm of the opinion that Trader Joe's deserves its' own thread.

Jonman wrote:

I love 8-days-in-the-future-me. Imminent Future Jon is having a lovely time, thanks for asking. He's sipping a drink with a paper umbrella in it from the comfort of the beach in Maui, getting prepared for a fun-filled week of blasting down a volcano on a bike, morning runs along the beach, riding a horse for the first time, snorkelling, and stuffing his future-mouth with delicious future fish.

You better hope it's future fish...

Strangeblades wrote:
Mimble wrote:

Good: She sends in her resume today, about an hour after she was fired, to a law firm near where she lives; 20 mins later she got called for an interview this week. :D

Yowza.

Yep! That's pretty much what she said when she got the call.

We just spent two hours practising interview questions on Skype. She wore her fuzzy red bathrobe to our "interview" - I told her to pair that with her moose covered sleep pants and she'd get the job for sure.

I'm excited for her, I hope she gets the job and a big bucket 'o' cash.

So, there's a friend of a friend out there. I haven't met her yet, but I hear about her often through our mutual friend. Her name is Ally. She happens to have muscular dystrophy, but is mainly just an extremely sharp, witty, and impressive person. She is confined to a wheelchair, but manages to not let that rule her life in any ways it doesn't have to.

A while back she took to doing stand up (trust me, all the potential jokes there she's probably already made 100 times in every possible form) comedy and you know what, she's pretty good at it. She decided to cut right to the chase and call her act "I laughed at the crippled girl". She even has a website where she sells t-shirts with her act title emblazoned on them. She often tells jokes on twitter.

She's faced some rather sh*tty behavior from a lot of people over her comedy act(s), but for the most part people think she's awesome and rally around her. That last bit is the thing I love.

*I forgot the video.

We got some Trader Joe'ses here in the Raleigh area, and the first couple of times we went, we were like, "I don't really see what the big deal is." This last visit, we just browsed, rather than going there with things in mind, and suddenly I totally got the place.

TJ's is the kind of place you wander and use it for the basis of dinner ideas, not as a destination for recipe shopping.

Totally digging it now, after that last visit.

I go to Trader Joe's for:
* knowing things there won't have HFCS
* coffee
* General Tso's sauce
* frozen chinese dumplings
* anything else that catches my fancy