Random thing you love right now that doesn't deserve its own thread

Demosthenes wrote:

My toxic coworker/teammate is gone! Fired today. Only about a year overdue. Only two people left on the team of four now, but we're close to filling one position and if no one new applies for the second, we may get both filled rather quick.

Holy sh*t, I get to go to work tomorrow and not deal with her... that feels like kind of a luxury at this point. O_o

That's always great!

On the loathe side, there are rumors that they might bring my toxic coworker back. It's been so nice the last three months without him. He did leave voluntarily and we are down five people right now, about 20% of our entire department... so it might just happen.

Hrm... but wrong thread! So here's a random love from me:

$3 pizookie Tuesdays at BJ's

Made this for supper tonight. Was a huge, huge hit. Everyone liked it. The taste isn't too strong in either the meatballs or the noodles, although I imagine you could get a stronger flavour by not fully cooking the ramen noodles, increasing the amount of liquid and then letting them finish cooking in the meatball/juice mix.

The meatballs were just the right amount of combination of tender and firm.

Mongolian Meatball Ramen

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/4EM8ZMj.jpg?1)

I don't know if it's just crying wolf or if prophetic wisdom, but my office is closed tomorrow for inclement weather. Adult snow day FTW!

mudbunny wrote:

Mongolian Meatball Ramen

Looks delish!

"If you won't do it to me, how are you going to do it to her?" the doctor said as she handed us syringes. Kaycee and I each pushed a needle into the doctor's arm and injected the saline. Then we did the same to each other.

Now we knew what to do and what it felt like.

Now we were prepared to start injecting insulin into Shealyn, who was 3 years old.

This was 11 years ago today. Her life has been balanced on the edge of a knife since then. One which still cuts and hurts, but which is her only bridge. At first we kept that balance through our efforts alone. Eventually she started taking over. Now she mostly has the days, but we have the nights.

From the start she was fiery and brave - even before that fire was sorely needed each day. Every day we pray for a cure. Every day we're thankful for the amount we can do. Every day we're grateful for her.

Why is this in the love thread? Because among everything else that today represents for us as a family, that stands above all.

Good music on good headphones.

I ended up in an oddly healthy relationship with someone last year out of nowhere. Hadn't dated anyone in years and kinda accepted it wasn't something that would work out for me. It's been an extremely comfortable and interesting relationship for several months now. Went to Cannon Beach today with her, my sister-in-law, and my nephew. It was a perfect day at the beach.

Anyways, I think my years observing everything on GWJ have actually made me a much more mature and objectively observant person when it comes to relationships. Who would have thought that's a huge thing I'd get out of this forum?!? Thanks ya'll.

IMAGE(https://i.imgur.com/ORB4bWm.jpg)

I love that beach, and I'm happy to hear you've found some happiness with someone.

LouZiffer, your post made me cry.

Nice to hear, and thanks for sharing!

I happened to have my Switch on me when visiting some close friends, and ended up playing a few rounds of Splatoon 2 with their 8 year-old son.

  • Oh my gosh, this game is fun! We had a blast. He loves the rollers, I love the airspray guns. Running around together and hearing his delighted yelling was infectious.
  • He had the big screen while I played on my own Switch with the controllers detached. More often than not, we'd be placed on opposite teams, so friends and family were taking sides and cheering when one of us splatted the other.
  • Nintendo's multiplayer is still a bit rubbish. But I won't talk about that because it's not the appropriate thread for loathes.

Idk, the big thing I realised was that he was so young but still getting in there and having fun. I sometimes become annoyed at teammates in online games, and it helped to realise that they may just be young and having fun. I have no right to be angry at that...Atleast until I get into ranked play

I love my air fryer. Makes it so easy to cook up some fries, or crispy egg rolls, or popcorn shrimp, with no oily mess, no stinking up the house (or very little anyway), and next to no cleanup (quick paper towel and it's good to go, full wash maybe once a week depending on how often I use it).

dhelor wrote:

I love my air fryer.

Witchcraft!

How have I never heard of this before?

Fried air sounds like a new State Fair attraction.

misplacedbravado wrote:

Fried air sounds like a new State Fair attraction.

And THANK YOU for the early Monday morning lulz. I needed that!

Come one, come all. I have a treat for you. You may have heard of the fattening Fried Twinkie’s or Fried Oreos, and surely you are aware of the French Fries. But, I have a new low calorie option in the fried family. Let me tell you about Fried Air. For only the low price of $8.99, you can get three, yes three, whole pieces of the latest in fried foods craze. And best of all it’s like you’re not even eating anything. This will be the latest trend in health food crazy and you can try it here first folks.

There is a donut shop near my parents house where the donuts are so light and airy that I describe them as iced fried air.

Coldstream wrote:
dhelor wrote:

I love my air fryer.

Witchcraft!

How have I never heard of this before?

It's basically a small convection oven that circulates air fast enough to cook everything pretty evenly. It's awesome for frozen snacks like fries and chicken nuggets. With some experimentation I've gotten really good eggplant parmesan and fresh potato wedges out of it. It won't replace your oven, and they're small enough that they only really makes enough for two people. The taste isn't quite like deep frying, but it's closer than what you get from an oven. The convenience of getting perfectly baked fries in 15 minutes is awesome, though.

Delbin wrote:

really good eggplant parmesan

You appear to have slipped into another language here. This phrase doesn't mean anything in American English.

EGGPLANT HATERS UNITE!

My family had a convection oven when I was growing up. That thing was magical.

Delbin wrote:
Coldstream wrote:
dhelor wrote:

I love my air fryer.

Witchcraft!

How have I never heard of this before?

It's basically a small convection oven that circulates air fast enough to cook everything pretty evenly. It's awesome for frozen snacks like fries and chicken nuggets. With some experimentation I've gotten really good eggplant parmesan and fresh potato wedges out of it. It won't replace your oven, and they're small enough that they only really makes enough for two people. The taste isn't quite like deep frying, but it's closer than what you get from an oven. The convenience of getting perfectly baked fries in 15 minutes is awesome, though.

My mother-in-law was raving about hers over the holidays. It was good for a couple things but she tried to do everything in it and a couple of leftovers didn't turn out so well.

I got one of those for christmas and I have yet to get the point of it. I tried making fries and they didn't turn out any better than they would have in the oven. Also tried making some southwestern eggrolls in it and they turned out worse than they would have in the oven.

Stele wrote:
Delbin wrote:
Coldstream wrote:
dhelor wrote:

I love my air fryer.

Witchcraft!

How have I never heard of this before?

It's basically a small convection oven that circulates air fast enough to cook everything pretty evenly. It's awesome for frozen snacks like fries and chicken nuggets. With some experimentation I've gotten really good eggplant parmesan and fresh potato wedges out of it. It won't replace your oven, and they're small enough that they only really makes enough for two people. The taste isn't quite like deep frying, but it's closer than what you get from an oven. The convenience of getting perfectly baked fries in 15 minutes is awesome, though.

My mother-in-law was raving about hers over the holidays. It was good for a couple things but she tried to do everything in it and a couple of leftovers didn't turn out so well.

The key is definitely knowing what to use it for, and even then it's just a bit better than an oven. Unlike the InstanPot (long may she reign,) an air fryer isn't worth the space unless you make lots of potatoes.

Delbin wrote:
Stele wrote:
Delbin wrote:
Coldstream wrote:
dhelor wrote:

I love my air fryer.

Witchcraft!

How have I never heard of this before?

It's basically a small convection oven that circulates air fast enough to cook everything pretty evenly. It's awesome for frozen snacks like fries and chicken nuggets. With some experimentation I've gotten really good eggplant parmesan and fresh potato wedges out of it. It won't replace your oven, and they're small enough that they only really makes enough for two people. The taste isn't quite like deep frying, but it's closer than what you get from an oven. The convenience of getting perfectly baked fries in 15 minutes is awesome, though.

My mother-in-law was raving about hers over the holidays. It was good for a couple things but she tried to do everything in it and a couple of leftovers didn't turn out so well.

The key is definitely knowing what to use it for, and even then it's just a bit better than an oven. Unlike the InstanPot (long may she reign,) an air fryer isn't worth the space unless you make lots of potatoes.

Disagree. Brussell sprouts and other fresh and frozen veggies turn out incredible in our Air Fryer, as we have used it several times (at least a dozen) for just such food items since we received one for Christmas.

cartoonin wrote:

Disagree. Brussell sprouts and other fresh and frozen veggies turn out incredible in our Air Fryer, as we have used it several times (at least a dozen) for just such food items since we received one for Christmas.

Newsletter. Subscribe.

I almost bought a deep fryer, but talked myself out of it because of the smell. That was just a convenient excuse though. I'm really resisting getting an air fryer because I'm afraid I would just fry everything.

Steamed veggies? f*ck it - fry em!
Baked potatoes? f*ck it - make some fries instead!
Lean chicken? f*ck it - we're having homemade KFC mothaf*ckas!

I mean, it's not really frying

cartoonin wrote:
Delbin wrote:
Stele wrote:
Delbin wrote:
Coldstream wrote:
dhelor wrote:

I love my air fryer.

Witchcraft!

How have I never heard of this before?

It's basically a small convection oven that circulates air fast enough to cook everything pretty evenly. It's awesome for frozen snacks like fries and chicken nuggets. With some experimentation I've gotten really good eggplant parmesan and fresh potato wedges out of it. It won't replace your oven, and they're small enough that they only really makes enough for two people. The taste isn't quite like deep frying, but it's closer than what you get from an oven. The convenience of getting perfectly baked fries in 15 minutes is awesome, though.

My mother-in-law was raving about hers over the holidays. It was good for a couple things but she tried to do everything in it and a couple of leftovers didn't turn out so well.

The key is definitely knowing what to use it for, and even then it's just a bit better than an oven. Unlike the InstanPot (long may she reign,) an air fryer isn't worth the space unless you make lots of potatoes.

Disagree. Brussell sprouts and other fresh and frozen veggies turn out incredible in our Air Fryer, as we have used it several times (at least a dozen) for just such food items since we received one for Christmas.

Agree. I mean more like if you use it a lot for the the things it's good at.

Delbin wrote:

It won't replace your oven, and they're small enough that they only really makes enough for two people. The taste isn't quite like deep frying, but it's closer than what you get from an oven. The convenience of getting perfectly baked fries in 15 minutes is awesome, though.

Regarding the size, they do make larger ones - the one we had before was a 2.5 or 2.7 liter, whereas this one I was given for Christmas is 5.2L*. Depending on the brand, the price difference is worth it for the extra size. I'm used it several times to make dinner for my family (four people - myself, my parents, and my aunt).

And yeah, it's really more like a small oven than a "fryer," but it is great for cooking up some slightly healthier "fried" food. Honestly, my favorite is frozen egg rolls. I usually defrost them a bit in the microwave first, and then into the air fryer to get fully cooked and crispy.

*There are even larger ones that can cook a whole chicken.

It's basically a portable convection oven. We've had those things in the Philippines since the 90s.

IMAGE(https://ph-live-03.slatic.net/p/11/imarflex-cvo-650g-turbo-broiler-1502771179-71244243-1e4156791f19b0bc21e4a1cfacbe5bcf-product.jpg)

This one is extremely cheap and very reliable. The main difference to an air fryer appears to be the speed and evenness of air circulation. Since a "turbo broiler" will only blast heated air from the top, there's a tendency to cook that side preferentially. This means you have to flip over some things if they're too large, which is oddly kind of like frying something. The see-through glass container means you can see the item directly very easily and it also doubles as a container for transporting your food item.

Some things won't fry like normal when you do them in a convection oven on account of not bleeding fat when they're heated. Chicken and pork normally render fat so you don't need to do anything extra, but fish benefits from an olive oil brush to improve the flavor, unless you're going for a broiled effect.