iPhone 5 + iOS 6 Catch-All

I've had no issues with Downcast, and I've used it for Wizards podcasts before.

Anyone know an app that lets you subscribe to an RSS feed for a blog (or whatever, written content) that stores the text offline? Essentially, I want a marriage of an RSS reader and Instapaper. This is what Downcast does for podcasts, but I want it for articles, etc.

Fedaykin98 wrote:
Anyone know an app that lets you subscribe to an RSS feed for a blog (or whatever, written content) that stores the text offline? Essentially, I want a marriage of an RSS reader and Instapaper. This is what Downcast does for podcasts, but I want it for articles, etc.

Byline does this, but requires you to manage your feeds through Google Reader. As long as you're already on board for that, the free universal version is fully functional though supplimented with iAds; $6 to go ad-free if the app serves your needs.

Looks like we now need a way to tag particular posts / users as spammers :/

Yeah. This board is technically brilliant and is like none I've seen on other sites. The one thing that is missing is a report function.

PMing Certis is the report function, no?

SixteenBlue wrote:
PMing Certis is the report function, no?

I... guess it is. Thanks for the common sense that seems to have escaped me today.

SixteenBlue wrote:
PMing Certis is the report function, no?

Damn you and your common sense approach

Regarding spammers: tag the thread with "spam". If it's a Front Page post, use the "contact us" link instead, which I presume goes to the entire crew of folks who can remove annoying posts. Works great.

Back to iPhones -- apparently there are new tracking cookies built in to iOS 6, which are disabled through Settings | General (not Privacy) | About | Advertising. Set "limit ad tracking" to "on".

Business Insider[/url]](Apple) has started tracking users so that advertisers can target them again, through a new tracking technology called IFA or IDFA.

Previously, Apple had all but disabled tracking of iPhone users by advertisers when it stopped app developers from utilizing Apple mobile device data via UDID, the unique, permanent, non-deletable serial number that previously identified every Apple device.

...

In iOS 6, however, tracking is most definitely back on, and it's more effective than ever, multiple mobile advertising executives familiar with IFA tell us.

So IOS 6.01 has completely killed my 4S battery. It will die in less then 24 hours without ever being used. Prior to the update I could use the phone on and off all day and only drain about half of it and was in the habit of charging it every other day.

I have tried almost every tip on the 99 page thread (iOS 6 iPhone 4s battery drain) over on the Apple forums. I had a similar problem in the past with an update and my 3G but I was able to fix that. This seems to be an ongoing issue with Apple and IOS updates.

As a last resort I may have to try restoring as a new phone. Anyone have any tips, so I don't mess up and lose all my data?(Picutres, contacts, message history, ect..)

Gravey wrote:
Well we never had unlimited plans in Canada, so phooey to you guys.

However, with the 3G's arrival (the first iPhone Canada got), public outcry got us a 6 GB plan during its first six months, and yes, giving that up to me would be like killing a unicorn. Sure, I only average 200 MB/month, but it's the principle! If Rogers can afford to charge me $5/gig now, why would I volunteer to pay $30/gig—or $60/gig, like my wife's old 500 MB plan. Ridiculous. I will take this data plan to my grave (barring improvements).

The 6 gig plan is regularly available. You can sign up for it when ever a new top tear phone comes out (galaxy s3, iphone, etc), or you just complain a bit and get. I did that.

EvilDead wrote:
So IOS 6.01 has completely killed my 4S battery. It will die in less then 24 hours without ever being used. Prior to the update I could use the phone on and off all day and only drain about half of it and was in the habit of charging it every other day.

I have tried almost every tip on the 99 page thread (iOS 6 iPhone 4s battery drain) over on the Apple forums. I had a similar problem in the past with an update and my 3G but I was able to fix that. This seems to be an ongoing issue with Apple and IOS updates.

As a last resort I may have to try restoring as a new phone. Anyone have any tips, so I don't mess up and lose all my data?(Picutres, contacts, message history, ect..)

Restored as new phone in DFU mode, disabled location services, and didn't add any email accounts. It was fully charged at about 5 PM. This morning it showed the Standby time (total time since last charge) at 15 hours and usage at 9 hours w/ 53% battery. The crazy thing is that I didn't make one call or send one text in that time! I didn't use my phone and it thinks I used it for 9 hours. Its just conveniently out of warranty too. The update broke my phone and apple offers no way to downgrade it. I guess my only option is to see if the Apple store will do anything about it. For those who have a 4s and haven't upgraded, I would be very wary.

Google Maps is out!

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id58502...

Navigate your world with Google Maps, now available for iPhone. Get comprehensive, accurate and easy-to-use maps with built-in Google local search, voice guided turn-by-turn navigation, public transit directions, Street View and more. Use Google Maps to discover great places to eat, drink, shop and play, with ratings and reviews from people you trust. Sign in to save your favorite places and quickly access all your past searches and directions from your computer, right on your phone.

Oh great, my fiance can finally update her iPad. Will need to redo the jailbreak though, she's starting to have fun with that.

I just loaded Google Maps on my phone, and it was glorious! I can't wait to test out the turn by turn instructions!

I cant believe how much better it is. Now that that Google has the ability to do what they want with their own app it looks great and works well. I appreciate the ease of use and tons of options. Living in NYC public transit and walking directions are a must. YAY!

Google also has an API out so that developers can call the new mapps app instead of Apple Maps.

So I should actually think about letting my ipad 2 upgrade to the new version of the OS now?

Maps seems nice so far. Couple of things missing though:

1. It doesn't connect to my contacts.
2. It lists places I've recently searched and starred on the web, but doesn't list the custom maps I've created. They're visible in iOS Google Earth though.
3. No voice search! They need to get their awesome voice search into this app now.

It's also missing the option to show Street View here in Vancouver, nor will the public transit layer work (whatever it's supposed to do—the TransitTimes+ app can show routes and live bus tracking, so the data is being provided by the transit authority, Google Maps just isn't using it (yet?)).

But searching and rendering is surprisingly fast on my 4, ungodly fast on my wife's 5, turn-by-turn directions work a treat on the 4, it's great to have transit directions back in the app, and a relief to have that sensible colour scheme back.

Gravey wrote:
It's also missing the option to show Street View here in Vancouver, nor will the public transit layer work (whatever it's supposed to do—the TransitTimes+ app can show routes and live bus tracking, so the data is being provided by the transit authority, Google Maps just isn't using it (yet?)).

But searching and rendering is surprisingly fast on my 4, ungodly fast on my wife's 5, turn-by-turn directions work a treat on the 4, it's great to have transit directions back in the app, and a relief to have that sensible colour scheme back.

It took me a while to figure out how to access street view, after entering an address swipe up the bar on the bottom for it.

Blotto The Clown wrote:
Gravey wrote:
It's also missing the option to show Street View here in Vancouver, nor will the public transit layer work (whatever it's supposed to do—the TransitTimes+ app can show routes and live bus tracking, so the data is being provided by the transit authority, Google Maps just isn't using it (yet?)).

But searching and rendering is surprisingly fast on my 4, ungodly fast on my wife's 5, turn-by-turn directions work a treat on the 4, it's great to have transit directions back in the app, and a relief to have that sensible colour scheme back.

It took me a while to figure out how to access street view, after entering an address swipe up the bar on the bottom for it.

Ah-ha! Thanks!

iOS 6 jailbreak is here, any device running 6.0 or 6.1 is ready to go. http://evasi0n.com

I used to jailbreak back when there were features I sorely missed. At this point I'm pretty happy with the way my devices work, so I probably won't bother with this. Was anyone here waiting for this with baited breath?

You mean bated breath? Short for "abated", as in, you're holding your breath waiting.

I'm with you. Nowadays, jailbreaking does little for me and can be a big pain in the long run.

But clearly the release of such a magnificent piece of software baited me into taking a sudden breath! I've been had!

I really can't be bothered with it anymore. I was looking at my iPhone 4 at the weekend, clearing it and restoring to vanilla for sale, and it just looked cluttered with the various jailbreak tweaks that I had installed. All I really want is a proper bluetooth toggle, frankly.

psoplayer wrote:
But clearly the release of such a magnificent piece of software baited me into taking a sudden breath! I've been had!

Well, that's better than having bait on your breath, which I assume would hinder one's social prospects to a not inconsiderable degree!

Fedaykin98 wrote:
psoplayer wrote:
But clearly the release of such a magnificent piece of software baited me into taking a sudden breath! I've been had!

Well, that's better than having bait on your breath, which I assume would hinder one's social prospects to a not inconsiderable degree!

Or even worse, having a masters degree in baiting...too far?

I wasn't content with just a master's. That's Dr. Baiter to you.

Well I for one am very happy with the jailbreak being out for my iphone 5.
IMAGE(https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3254697/Photo%202013-02-07%2011%2035%2011%20PM%20%28Small%29.png)IMAGE(https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3254697/Photo%202013-02-07%2011%2035%2022%20PM%20%28Small%29.png)
IMAGE(https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3254697/Photo%202013-02-07%2011%2035%2028%20PM%20%28Small%29.png)IMAGE(https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3254697/Photo%202013-02-07%2011%2035%2046%20PM%20%28Small%29.png)
IMAGE(https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3254697/Photo%202013-02-07%2011%2035%2059%20PM%20%28Small%29.png)IMAGE(https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3254697/Photo%202013-02-07%2011%2036%2005%20PM%20%28Small%29.png)

sorry pictures are big, I tried to resize but supposedly this is considered small :/

-21F ? F that..

TheGameguru wrote:
-21F ? F that..

My first reaction too. Hopefully that's Celsius?