iPhone 5 + iOS 6 Catch-All

Pages

EDIT:

OK, so it's September 2012, and iOS 6 has been released along with the iPhone 5. Skip to the last few pages to join in on the discussion.

----

So, wow... really? No thread about iOS 5 yet? Or am I just that clueless? (don't answer that...)

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios5/galler...

Nice summary video from Apple.

Haters gonna hate, and YES, many of these features are already found on various other platforms, but I don't care... I am pretty darn stoked for this update.

EDIT:

The iCloud stuff was another major aspect of all this, but I can't seem to find a stand-alone video for that. Here's a link to the entire keynote:

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.ne...

Jobs gets into it at around the 80 minute mark. I don't know how much of this I am going to use, but the "buy it once, download it to 10 devices" thing with music and apps is going to be great.

EDIT 2:

Another pretty good summary of the WWDC keynote.

http://toucharcade.com/2011/06/06/jo...

Looks cool...but months away kinda sucks anymore.. and no iPhone 5 announcement made me less excited... I'm sure iCloud will get major usage on my part.

TheGameguru wrote:
Looks cool...but months away kinda sucks anymore.. and no iPhone 5 announcement made me less excited... I'm sure iCloud will get major usage on my part.

"Coming this fall" is pretty vague, but I'll bet dollars to donuts that iOS 5 will debut with the iPhone 5 at Apple's September event.

Yeah I'm torn on iCloud. I like Dropbox for photos better, as there's no 30-day time limit. Plus it's just for any filetype. And the integration with iWork only matters if you use iWork alot on your iOS device. iMessage? Again, suffers from iOS only. Don't really care about that.

But iTunes Music Scanner sounds really interesting. Basically I can make my entire collection "legal" sort of, and upload anything to the cloud that isn't in iTMS. 25k songs sounds pretty good. But, no cloud streaming, only downloading to device. Then again, if the entire process "just works", it has a major leg up on Amazon / Google Music.

I really need to see where Android Ice Cream Sandwich is going before deciding. And iPhone 5 hardware. But it does bring them back up to parity, and it's good to see them not sticking their head in the sand like they did in the late 80s.

TheGameguru wrote:
Looks cool...but months away kinda sucks anymore..

I'm tempted to install the developer's beta, even though I'll be waving bye-bye to my jailbreak if I do.

Haters gonna hate, and YES, many of these features are already found on various other platforms, but I don't care... I am pretty darn stoked for this update.

It's good that Apple creates competing products.

I didn't see the WWDC presentation, but if it's anything like the past, it's not the inclusion of the features that tends to get on people's nerves, it's the presentation. Like they've just invented something trail-blazingly new. Meanwhile, the rest of us have been using Google docs/picasa/calendar and Amazon Cloud Drive just recently, but still.

Maybe the new part of it is the "just works" stamp Apple puts on everything, and while they do that better than most, it's a stamp that's fairly well undeserved sometimes itself. My iPad has been a bundle of frustrations of things that don't just work, and the limitation is often the Apple platform.

Volume-up as shutter, APPROVED. Also, new notifications, location-based reminders, and PC-free (crucially, not strictly wireless, correct? You have to plug it into the wall before it will sync over wifi if I read it right).

Gravey wrote:
Volume-up as shutter, APPROVED. Also, new notifications, location-based reminders, and PC-free (crucially, not strictly wireless, correct? You have to plug it into the wall before it will sync over wifi if I read it right).

The volume up shutter was much needed. Also, the camera app icon on the lock screen will be great. I have hopes that the Photo Stream iCloud thing will be useful. I'm happy about the much needed notifications update.

Mostly, I'm happy about WiFi sync.

PyromanFO wrote:
I like Dropbox for photos better, as there's no 30-day time limit

The 30 day/1000 photo limit applies only to photostream (the process that automatically copies photos to all your devices). Saving a photo from your photostream to your camera roll or an album makes it permanent and not subject to expiration.

Apple wrote:
iCloud helps you manage your photos efficiently so you don’t run out of storage space on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. When photos are sent to your iOS device, they appear in a Photo Stream album that holds a rolling collection of your last 1000 photos. iCloud stores new photos for 30 days, so you have plenty of time to connect your device to Wi-Fi and get your most recent shots. Once they appear in your Photo Stream, you can save your favorite shots to your Camera Roll or any other album on your device.

Serengeti wrote:
PyromanFO wrote:
I like Dropbox for photos better, as there's no 30-day time limit

The 30 day/1000 photo limit applies only to photostream (the process that automatically copies photos to all your devices). Saving a photo from your photostream to your camera roll or an album makes it permanent and not subject to expiration.

Apple wrote:
iCloud helps you manage your photos efficiently so you don’t run out of storage space on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. When photos are sent to your iOS device, they appear in a Photo Stream album that holds a rolling collection of your last 1000 photos. iCloud stores new photos for 30 days, so you have plenty of time to connect your device to Wi-Fi and get your most recent shots. Once they appear in your Photo Stream, you can save your favorite shots to your Camera Roll or any other album on your device.
They are saved permanently on your device. Not in the cloud. Dropbox saves everything in your account forever, even versions it.

But iCloud does backup your camera roll, so technically they're in the cloud, right?

So, who's going to be brave and install the iOS5 beta so I don't have to risk it?

Serengeti wrote:
But iCloud does backup your camera roll, so technically they're in the cloud, right?

So, who's going to be brave and install the iOS5 beta so I don't have to risk it?

I only have an iPhone 4, so I won't be able to. If only I had an iPad...

That article is about an iPhone 4, so go for it!

Serengeti wrote:
That article is about an iPhone 4, so go for it!

Warning: While this operation should be simple, we are not responsible for what you do to your iPhone. Once completed, you will not be able to connect to a carrier. Proceed at your own risk.

Nice try.

Serengeti wrote:
But iCloud does backup your camera roll, so technically they're in the cloud, right?

So, who's going to be brave and install the iOS5 beta so I don't have to risk it?

I think Legion was considering it on his iPad...

What, calls and data are important to you?

(Guess I missed the giant bold letters in the article)

Trying to answer a simple question. Will iCloud have podcast functionality? It seems Apple are going for a standalone platform with their iOS devices so that should mean an updating of their current handling of podcasts.

I know about Podcaster (use it myself) but it would be nice to have something similar to Google Listen for the iPhone.

Axon wrote:
Trying to answer a simple question. Will iCloud have podcast functionality? It seems Apple are going for a standalone platform with their iOS devices so that should mean an updating of their current handling of podcasts.

I know about Podcaster (use it myself) but it would be nice to have something similar to Google Listen for the iPhone.

Seeing as podcasts really don't offer any profit to Apple, I'd be greatly surprised.

At the risk of being ever-so-slightly off topic, are there any reliable estimates as to when we'll see iPhone 5 these days? Did the lack of a mention in the keynote mean we're about a year out?

I ask because, with the recent price drop at Wal-mart, I'm considering going ahead with the upgrade.

Mytch wrote:
At the risk of being ever-so-slightly off topic, are there any reliable estimates as to when we'll see iPhone 5 these days? Did the lack of a mention in the keynote mean we're about a year out?

I ask because, with the recent price drop at Wal-mart, I'm considering going ahead with the upgrade.

Well, I haven't heard anything new in the last few weeks, but it seems like either they'll announce it at their September event or else wait for the following April... that seems to be their release schedule. Since iOS 5 is launching this fall, I am still betting that we'll see it launch/debut on the iPhone 5.

Regardless, the iPhone 4 is a damn fine phone and will be obviously upgradeable to iOS 5. There are still people buying the $49 3GS, so I figure you could make it through the next 18-24 months with an iPhone 4.

Yeah, I think we'll get new hardware announced in September as well. Personally, I can't commit to an iPhone with the way I treat my mobile device until they stick some Gorilla Glass or equivalent onto it. I sent my phone skidding across the tile the other night, face down...

A year into using an iPhone 4, I don't feel the need to upgrade. It's holding up very well. This wasn't the case with the 3G when I had one of those. That thing got outdated quickly. I don't know if that helps.

trueheart78 wrote:
Yeah, I think we'll get new hardware announced in September as well. Personally, I can't commit to an iPhone with the way I treat my mobile device until they stick some Gorilla Glass or equivalent onto it. I sent my phone skidding across the tile the other night, face down...

The iPhone uses Gorilla Glass. Not exactly scratch proof, though.

tuffalobuffalo wrote:
A year into using an iPhone 4, I don't feel the need to upgrade. It's holding up very well. This wasn't the case with the 3G when I had one of those. That thing got outdated quickly. I don't know if that helps.

Heh. I used an old 2G iPhone for about 7-8 months (on t-mobile) before switching to the iPhone 4. At the time, I wondered if I would tell the difference, but I'm definitely glad I upgraded. I only got mine in October or November, though, so I haven't had it for a full year yet, but I feel pretty much the same as far as not needing a replacement.

Saying that, I have disposable income and no kids, so I'd probably be really tempted into going for an iPhone 5 if Apple did another of those "early adopter" sorts of deals.

I upgraded from the original to the 3G shortly before the 3GS came out (oops). By the time the iPhone 4 came around, I was thoroughly ready to upgrade.

I made the mistake of standing in line to get one on the first day. X_X Arrived at 11pm the previous night. Didn't get my phone until around 11am. Soooo painful.

(But so very very shiny... my precious...)

Serengeti wrote:
So, who's going to be brave and install the iOS5 beta so I don't have to risk it?

I did. Running it on my iPhone 4.

Haven't played around with it too much yet. Notification drawer is an adequate replacement for Lockinfo, though the avilable widgets are only weather & stock (really missing a calendar widget!).

Hypatian wrote:
I upgraded from the original to the 3G shortly before the 3GS came out (oops). By the time the iPhone 4 came around, I was thoroughly ready to upgrade.

I made the mistake of standing in line to get one on the first day. X_X Arrived at 11pm the previous night. Didn't get my phone until around 11am. Soooo painful.

(But so very very shiny... my precious...)

Yeah, I managed to get a pre-order in through att.com. I never want to wait in line for a phone.

*Legion*, do you have a carrier working? I gather that you can't go back once you install 5.

spider_j wrote:
*Legion*, do you have a carrier working? I gather that you can't go back once you install 5.

People have successfully gone back to 4.3.3, if Reddit threads are any indication.

I'm on an AT&T iPhone service plan so I don't have any carrier unlock issues to worry about, phone stuff works fine.

Being able to download apps directly from the iPhone that I have purchased elsewhere is nice.

I miss BiteSMS - what's up with the plain ol' SMS app not putting peoples' heads in the message list?

I haven't run into anything not working yet. People on Reddit have claimed Netflix playback doesn't work because Netflix detects the device as an unsupported iOS version. But I imagine that will get fixed on Netflix's end any moment if it hasn't already.

Nobody on my contact list is running iOS5 so the whole iMessage thing is moot at this point. I haven't tried group messaging but I am curious to see how it stacks up against GroupMe (which my family and I currently use to group message), Beluga, etc.

Does the new iCloud mean that we will be able to update the OS without connecting to a computer?

I would love, one day, to see full parity across the Apple ecosystem, with cloud based file and application syncing. If Apple can figure that out, I will buy every damn device they make and wave bye-bye to Windows. I guess MS could get there first, but it seems like Apple is closer.

*Legion* wrote:
Being able to download apps directly from the iPhone that I have purchased elsewhere is nice.

Just in case anyone missed this, you're also able to do this right now in 4.3.3. I think it's awesome! Can't believe it took this long.

EDIT:

Just for my information, can people chime in with what kind of battery life they're getting with their iPhone 4? I tend to keep it in EDGE data mode 95% of the time... mostly because 3G service sucks near my house, but also because the battery seems to drain about three times as fast with it turned on. Also, does anyone know if installing "mobile substrate" significantly dings the battery life?

Pages