2012, end of the world, or end of your pile? - the 12 month thread

Vrikk wrote:

At this point I'm just waiting until next year. This year is a wash, so trying to make any noticeable dent is... well, not worth it.

Question: Does selling games I will never beat count?

If they aren't yours anymore, then they can't be on your pile.

And AC3 goes down.

Vrikk wrote:

At this point I'm just waiting until next year. This year is a wash, so trying to make any noticeable dent is... well, not worth it.

Question: Does selling games I will never beat count?

Speaking of which, any preferences for when we fire up the 2013 thread?

I was thinking Dec 1, so we can use it to talk ourselves 'out' of the Steam Thread, but also give us some time to contemplate the year ahead, and do a review of what we've played so far. It will also avoid the usually unhelpful posts we get if they all start grouping together. I figured a 'soft launch' so people can add to it if they are ready early, or later if they wanted to.

I know a lot of year end chatter happens in Hemidal's big end of year thread, so I'd hate to reduce the momentum in that one.

Kamakazi010654 wrote:
Vrikk wrote:

At this point I'm just waiting until next year. This year is a wash, so trying to make any noticeable dent is... well, not worth it.

Question: Does selling games I will never beat count?

If they aren't yours anymore, then they can't be on your pile. ;)

+1

This thread is about clearing the pile, not beating the pile.

m0nk3yboy wrote:
Vrikk wrote:

At this point I'm just waiting until next year. This year is a wash, so trying to make any noticeable dent is... well, not worth it.

Question: Does selling games I will never beat count?

Speaking of which, any preferences for when we fire up the 2013 thread?

I was thinking Dec 1, so we can use it to talk ourselves 'out' of the Steam Thread, but also give us some time to contemplate the year ahead, and do a review of what we've played so far. It will also avoid the usually unhelpful posts we get if they all start grouping together. I figured a 'soft launch' so people can add to it if they are ready early, or later if they wanted to.

I know a lot of year end chatter happens in Hemidal's big end of year thread, so I'd hate to reduce the momentum in that one.

December 1 works for me. I figure anything I'm likely to beat this year, I will have done by that point. Especially since Dragon Age: Origins is my current big pile game, and I haven't made the progress I had hoped on it.

I'll probably wait until end of December or beginning of January before I reset my pile count for the new year, but considering I'm already feeling all retrospective I wouldn't mind starting the talk in December.

I'm good with a new thread in December. I really don't talk much in the monthly thread aside from posting progress updates.

Cool, I'll do a sneaky (garden)ninja style soft launch, link it in the OP, then people can migrate as they see fit.

I'll post notifications in this thread, and the monthly thread too when it's up and running.

Sweet. That will also help me remember to reset my backloggery before the year actually starts.

I really need to create a "BetterLoggery" - so many missing features that would be really nice for this group.

trueheart78 wrote:

I really need to create a "BetterLoggery" - so many missing features that would be really nice for this group.

I'd really like to see a MobyGames/Backloggery hybrid. I'd love to get some metrics on my collection/gaming preferences in terms of designers/studios/publishers I enjoy, genres I buy vs. complete, etc.

Garden Ninja wrote:

Sweet. That will also help me remember to reset my backloggery before the year actually starts.

The memory card resets automatically, if that's what you're thinking of.

trueheart78 wrote:

I really need to create a "BetterLoggery" - so many missing features that would be really nice for this group.

I'm working on one actually, and I plan to have Pile Thread support in there eventually. I'm just starting with basic feature parity though so I can get something released. It's hard to find time to work on it lately though. Maybe I should put "Create Backloggery Replacement" on my backloggery...

ClockworkHouse wrote:
Garden Ninja wrote:

Sweet. That will also help me remember to reset my backloggery before the year actually starts.

The memory card resets automatically, if that's what you're thinking of. :)

I know it resets, actually. Last year I decided to delete everything that is finished, and use backloggery to track just the backlog, not all my games. That really cut down on the cruft for me, so I am planning on doing that again.

trueheart78 wrote:

I really need to create a "BetterLoggery" - so many missing features that would be really nice for this group.

I really like using howlongtobeat to track my backlog, because then I can at least sort the pile by estimated time to completion before choosing what to work on next. It doesn't have many features other than that, but what a killer feature!

I've been thinking of ways to lower the number of new games for next year.

The breakdown, which I posted in the previous page is:

Bought new: 10
Traded: 3
Goozex Cashout: 7
Steam gifts: 13

That's 33 total. I've already cashed out of Goozex (I think I have 200 points left and 1 trade token, so I might get one more think from it), so I don't have to worry about that next year.

At lot of the new were due to getting a Wii (for co-op with my girlfriend) and a DS (because when I bought the girlfriend a DSi, it came with an extra copy of Pokemon Black) this year. I do plan to get a 3DS XL soon, but I'm basically sticking to one DS game at a time, so I'm not too worried about that. I will try to better limit when I just buy things though.

I realized I don't want to collect games really, except in very specific cases, so I will probably still trade.

Steam gifts represent more than a third of my pile additions this year, and several of my pile additions last year. Having games in a wishlist makes it too easy for generous goodjers to gift me games during great sales. I still want to keep a wishlist, just to keep track of stuff, however, so I added the items from my steam wishlist to my Amazon wishlist with the Chrome extension, then cleared my steam wishlist. That will help a lot I think.

I sold off need for speed most wanted today, good riddance!

Garden Ninja wrote:

I've been thinking of ways to lower the number of new games for next year.

The breakdown, which I posted in the previous page is:

Bought new: 10
Traded: 3
Goozex Cashout: 7
Steam gifts: 13

That's 33 total. I've already cashed out of Goozex (I think I have 200 points left and 1 trade token, so I might get one more think from it), so I don't have to worry about that next year.

At lot of the new were due to getting a Wii (for co-op with my girlfriend) and a DS (because when I bought the girlfriend a DSi, it came with an extra copy of Pokemon Black) this year. I do plan to get a 3DS XL soon, but I'm basically sticking to one DS game at a time, so I'm not too worried about that. I will try to better limit when I just buy things though.

I realized I don't want to collect games really, except in very specific cases, so I will probably still trade.

Steam gifts represent more than a third of my pile additions this year, and several of my pile additions last year. Having games in a wishlist makes it too easy for generous goodjers to gift me games during great sales. I still want to keep a wishlist, just to keep track of stuff, however, so I added the items from my steam wishlist to my Amazon wishlist with the Chrome extension, then cleared my steam wishlist. That will help a lot I think.

Remember when you get Steam gifts you can send them on to another home.

I've tried several options to curve the pile.

Picking a number.
This kind of ties into what you're doing now. For example '10 new' or 'zero nett gains' might work. Buy 50, but trade 40 works for the first condition, trade 10 more and meet the second.

Work to a 'set' budget.
$XXX for the year. You buy on sale, you trade, you eBay. Buying for the least money down becomes part of the meta-practice of acquiring mass quantities. Also cuts down on day one purchase temptation considerably.

TrueHeart's Contemplative Quartet and Clocky's Addendum
The OP has it all.

Become poor.
Seriously, for about half of this year we dropped to a single income, with two small kids. When faced with the prospect of food or games, 99% of the time I chose food. That's right, I went hungry to gift Sparkle Ponies to Goodjers

Anyone else working with some different methodologies? I might consolidate and add to the opener for next year's thread.

Just make a list of things you'd like but don't actually buy any of them until you are absolutely ready to play them?

Demyx wrote:

Just make a list of things you'd like but don't actually buy any of them until you are absolutely ready to play them?

That's how I've managed to resist a lot of the Steam sales this year. Well aside from the same issue Garden_Ninja had with gifts during the summer sale. Which forced me to clear the wishlist there as well (I now use Backloggery's wishlist since it's vendor-neutral) as Steam makes it incredibly easy to get games for people based on their wishlists.

Demyx wrote:

Just make a list of things you'd like but don't actually buy any of them until you are absolutely ready to play them?

Yep, remember that on this day and age scarcity of video games doesn't exist outside of very specific genres or companies. And the price will always go down

trueheart78 wrote:

I sold off need for speed most wanted today, good riddance!

But it's a good game

Also, speaking of the Backloggery do any of you frequent their Monday streams? Always good fun. People often talk about their progress through their logs. Just ignore the occasional weeaboo discussions. I often ignore them.

Demyx wrote:

Just make a list of things you'd like but don't actually buy any of them until you are absolutely ready to play them?

That's how I was using the Amazon Wishlist. I try to cultivate it, so that it's only stuff I'm super excited to play (eventually). Like, if it's something I will want to play in a year, even after all the talk has died down, it's can stay on the list. Steam was like that as well (mostly) but...

shoptroll wrote:

Steam makes it incredibly easy to get games for people based on their wishlists.

which is why I transferred them to Amazon, as that is pretty much for my personal use unless some specifically asks me for the link.

Of course, the other problem is thinking you are absolutely ready to play them, but not actually being ready. I don't want to limit myself to only games that are currently on the pile, since that led to me resenting the pile and making it feel like work in the past, but life can be funny and not actually leave me with time to play stuff, or I get sucked into something else.

I have been good about avoiding buying new long games though, as they represent the bulk of my "pile hours". Short games I don't feel as bad about.

Vrikk wrote:
trueheart78 wrote:

I sold off need for speed most wanted today, good riddance!

But it's a good game :(

The original? Yes. The recent Criterion version? Not for me, thanks.

Well, I managed to knock out El Shaddai from the list today. I also knocked off the recently purchased Halo 4. So this means I'm free to move onto one or two more titles, but I'm actually having a bit of paralysis. I'm sort of itching a replay of Dishonored, but if I start that game I probably won't want to play Assassin's Creed: Revelations, which is my next long game on the list.

Ah well, I'll think on it. Maybe I'll just replay Dishonored and play Revelations simultaneously.

ccesarano wrote:

Well, I managed to knock out El Shaddai from the list today. I also knocked off the recently purchased Halo 4. So this means I'm free to move onto one or two more titles, but I'm actually having a bit of paralysis. I'm sort of itching a replay of Dishonored, but if I start that game I probably won't want to play Assassin's Creed: Revelations, which is my next long game on the list.

Ah well, I'll think on it. Maybe I'll just replay Dishonored and play Revelations simultaneously.

Go with the itch. If you play AC, to the detriment of your replaying of Dishonoured, you'll resent playing that, and lose traction on both.

At the end of the day, play for fun, the pile isn't going anywhere

Added some to the completed list. Closing in on finishing MGS 2 also which will wrap up the HD collection. I'm purposefully ignoring some other games I own that I dont want to even try to get to until maybe next year.

edit: finished MGS 2. I actually liked it more this time than when I played it in 2002 or whenever that was. I think I have more patience as an adult.

Games in my collection I want to finish/watch the credits roll.

  • Alpha Protocol
  • Bullet Storm
  • Diablo 3 (PC)
  • Secret of Monkey Island 2
  • Portal 2
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  • Civilization V
  • The Witcher
  • The Witcher 2
  • Legend of Grimrock *
  • Dark Souls*
  • Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
  • Gabriel Knight 2
  • Last Story
  • Mass Effect 3 (XBOX)
  • Orcs Must Die
  • Maniac Mansion*
  • Secret of Mana (lowest priority)*
  • Gemini Rue
  • To the Moon
  • Xenoblade Chronicles

Status: 13 of 21 (62%)

* = In Progress
/ = Abandoned / Sold
/ = Finished / Completed

2012 Releases I will be purchasing - list of releases

  • Bioshock Infinite (PC)
  • Heart of the Swarm (PC)
  • Final Fantasy XIII-2 (if I finish everything else) (PS3)

Status: 0 of 3 (0%)[/quote]

I ended up turning down both and popping in Operation Raccoon City. I doubt this will be a very long game, though, so we'll see where my decision lies after this.

EDIT: Started Operation Raccoon City last night and beat it tonight. I basically left my PS3 on all day and just played through the missions on and off all day. It's hardly the most polished game, and thematically it feels more like it should be the video game of the movie, but it was still fun. I mean, I beat it in a weekend, after all.

So two games in one weekend. Not too bad in terms of pile progress, though that means I spent this week beating three games I bought between October and November.

Decided to drop 2 games from the Pile.

The first is Frozen Synapse campaign. I put about 8 hours into it, mostly in single player or co-op, according to steam. The campaign is hard and replaying missions in co-op is a pain in the butt, since I've been playing with someone with a 3 hour time difference, so we were getting at most 1 turn per day, and lately more like 1 or 2 turns per week. I thought about switching to single player, but progress in co-op doesn't count toward SP, so I'd basically have to start over, which I don't feel like doing. I will probably play a bit more multiplayer, and I may continue playing the 1 turn a week in my co-op game, but I'm not considering it a Pile game anymore.

The other one is Sparkle Ponies, because, well, come on. It was a joke and I'm not sure why I added it to the Pile in the first place.

shoptroll wrote:

EDIT: Alright, so while waiting for code to compile and upload I started working on my list for next year. Catherine and Majora's Mask are on the "to beat" list this year. I hope you jerks are happy.

Excellent, excellent choices. Both very high in WTF quotient, too.

Garden Ninja wrote:

The other one is Sparkle Ponies, because, well, come on. It was a joke and I'm not sure why I added it to the Pile in the first place.

I should do that as well now that you mention it. Just going to null it though since I also use Backloggery as a record of games I own/owned.

EDIT: Alright, so while waiting for code to compile and upload I started working on my list for next year. Catherine and Majora's Mask are on the "to beat" list for 2013. I hope you jerks are happy.