That which has been seen/Vasectomy Snip-all

I got snipped back in March, but still need to do my followup. That said, I haven't noticed any major side effects, no pain, no other issues. Just make sure that you have a few pairs of compression shorts(UnderArmor makes some nice ones that I wore), since you'll be wearing those for a couple weeks after the procedure. The boys, they be tender.

dRailer wrote:

Thanks for the title edit, making this easier for our fellow visitors to avoid should they so choose.

But mostly, thanks for the answers, guys... you're doing much to bolster my confidence to make this happen.

My wife was more annoyed than I was, mainly because the surgery was over so quickly she didn't get a chance to start the coffee she grabbed from Tim Hortons. She didn't even get a chance to start it!

Funny timing for a necro, because I've been considering this as well. The main barrier is my inertia in finding and calling a urologist, and worrying how much it'll cost me.

I will be going in in January or February.

Can you guys help me take 2 weeks off? Like seriously, do I need to get a cast put on?

KingGorilla wrote:

I will be going in in January or February.

Can you guys help me take 2 weeks off? Like seriously, do I need to get a cast put on?

You'll need a cast put on for the 10 days or so after the incision where you can't cum. That was by far the hardest (no pun intended) part of the whole affair for me.

Can they induce a coma?

How much does a Vasectomy usually cost?

Elliottx wrote:

How much does a Vasectomy usually cost?

Mine was $163 total. $30 for the initial consult, $133 for the actual surgery.

Elliottx wrote:

How much does a Vasectomy usually cost?

Mine was covered by my insurance, so it was about $200 all together. If it hadn't been covered, it probably would have been about $1,000, I'd guess, counting all the visits.

Elliottx wrote:

How much does a Vasectomy usually cost?

Mine was free. Also, I lucked out and they did it ahead of another surgery, so I got to be knocked the hell out while the doc was working on me.

AnimeJ wrote:
Elliottx wrote:

How much does a Vasectomy usually cost?

Mine was free. Also, I lucked out and they did it ahead of another surgery, so I got to be knocked the hell out while the doc was working on me.

I just got a valium and a local for mine; I was totally conscious, but not quite with it.

Tanglebones wrote:
AnimeJ wrote:
Elliottx wrote:

How much does a Vasectomy usually cost?

Mine was free. Also, I lucked out and they did it ahead of another surgery, so I got to be knocked the hell out while the doc was working on me.

I just got a valium and a local for mine; I was totally conscious, but not quite with it.

Ordinarily that's how it's done on base, I just got really lucky.

Spoilered so friends who don't want any details, even mild ones about frequency, won't have to live the thread title. Still sharing since it could be helpful to more folks than you.

Bow-chikka-bow-wow.

This is timely for me as well. Happy with two kids. DO NOT WANT MORE.

Alright. Quick answers.

After two kids, we figured it was time for one of us to do something. That was about four and a half years ago.

I think I paid about $70. In fact, the insurance company had never been so easy to work with as when I told them they could stop paying for more trips to the maternity ward.

I had a local during the procedure. The doctor kept saying "this part is cool. Look at this." I now understand in amazing detail just what that procedure involved. The whole reminded me of getting a tattoo. Consult, agree, come back, get on the table, here comes the sharp thing.

As for the after effects, I've had a different experience on two important fronts. The stuff in the Spoiler is going into super-personal territory.

Spoiler:

I feel some pain, but not all the time. You know that feeling of azure-colored spherical playthings you might experience after heavy flirting leads directly directly to interruption? And then it happens a second day in a row so you've been technically waiting for three calender days?

That's just about the level of discomfort I hit after about ninety minutes.

However, our schedule since last October has been about once every four weeks. Not by my choice. This may affect my experience.

I was fixed about a decade ago. No side effects other than the short term itchiness from where the cute nurse shaved my sack. Well, that happy bonus came about because I forgot to shave it myself that morning. Thankfully it was not a murse from Eastern Russia doing the shaving.

The actual procedure was pretty fast and done without anesthesia. Being awake got a little awkward when, during the procedure, they extracted a length of that start commenting about the condition of the length of seminiferous tubules they extracted. I was all like, "hey, throw down a length of your seminiferous tubules and see how it compares sucka!"

I have occasionally had what I believe to be epididymitis. Basically, it felt like a big lump, but separate from the testicles, and I could tell it was just some irritated tissue surrounding one of the clips. Didn't cause any pain, just a little panic thinking I had an overnight tumor, but they go away after a couple of days.

Pffft. No valium, no nothin' aside from local anesthesia. And I drove myself home afterward. You kids with your newfangled medicines. Back in my day...

I had it done in January, paid $300 of a $700 bill after insurance helped a bit. No issues, other than things feeling a bit weird down there for a month-ish. I do a lot of cycling so I'm more harsh on the perineal area than many.

Minarchist wrote:

Pffft. No valium, no nothin' aside from local anesthesia. And I drove myself home afterward. You kids with your newfangled medicines. Back in my day...

I had it done in January, paid $300 of a $700 bill after insurance helped a bit. No issues, other than things feeling a bit weird down there for a month-ish. I do a lot of cycling so I'm more harsh on the perineal area than many.

Driving? Hah. I walked to the subway & then walked another mile home after that!

I kept on waiting for the valium to kick in, and it never did.

I had he no-scalpel vasectomy done and, like I said above, if I was lying down for 8 minutes, I m exaggerating on the long side. I had a prescription for tylenol-3, and I ended up taking 1 the first night because of general soreness. After that, no pain or soreness whatsoever.

Minarchist wrote:

Pffft. No valium, no nothin' aside from local anesthesia. And I drove myself home afterward. You kids with your newfangled medicines. Back in my day...

I had it done in January, paid $300 of a $700 bill after insurance helped a bit. No issues, other than things feeling a bit weird down there for a month-ish. I do a lot of cycling so I'm more harsh on the perineal area than many.

Sigged.

groan wrote:

If you are in the Ottawa area, get Dr. Weisse (sp?). Do not get the a-hole I had. I don't even remember his name. Weisse is the leading dude in the area. All my buddies had him do the procedure and had nothing like I had.
I'm pretty sure the key was the Valium.

Dr Weiss is the man. His office looks like a low, low budget pr0n set though.

My experience 7 years ago is a little different.
My doctor did not give me any Valium to ease my anxiety. He was an a$$.
Get the Valium, please.

My experience included going into shock when he gave me the needless anesthetic. It felt like someone took a rubber band and smacked me in the testicle with it. 4 times.

Once that was done he did the micro-snip and did the duty and it was done in under 15 minutes.

Get Valium.

If you are in the Ottawa area, get Dr. Weisse (sp?). Do not get the a-hole I had. I don't even remember his name. Weisse is the leading dude in the area. All my buddies had him do the procedure and had nothing like I had.
I'm pretty sure the key was the Valium.

as far as side effects:
I feel a pit of pressure in the baggage area sometimes. Nothing painful, just a presence that wasn't there before. Almost like I can feel the existence of the staples. Hard to describe.

Just know that once it's done, it is so freeing. Very freeing and liberating.

You still wont get more sex though. That's just the way life is.

mudbunny wrote:
groan wrote:

If you are in the Ottawa area, get Dr. Weisse (sp?). Do not get the a-hole I had. I don't even remember his name. Weisse is the leading dude in the area. All my buddies had him do the procedure and had nothing like I had.
I'm pretty sure the key was the Valium.

Dr Weiss is the man. His office looks like a low, low budget pr0n set though.

He doesn't also go by the name of Dirty Randy, does he?

Double post. Sorry.

groan wrote:

You still wont get more sex though. That's just the way life is.

Yeah. This is fair.

"Hey honey. I paid some stranger to mutilate me down there so we can be happy together!"

"Not now. Can't you see the tv is on?"

There may be a notable difference between how you and your partner perceive this experience.

I had mine about 2.5 years ago. That was a bit of an adventure. i went in to meet the doc and have a consultation. Part of the process is to pee in a cup. He comes in and asks me some questions and then inquires about whether or not I'm being treated for blood in my urine. I go from a consult to a full prostate exam in about 5 minutes. That sucked. Then I had to go get a CT scan. Finally, I was scheduled for the vasectomy and cystoscopy (look it up). The only positive thing form the experience, general anesthetic for the procedure. The doc strongly recommended getting knocked out and not trying to just use a valium. I had to pay more out of pocket, but i went to sleep and then woke up with everything taken care of.

I had take a shot from a softball to the groin about 20 feet from homeplate in junior high, in comparison this pain was very, very manageable. It was more discomfort and not really outright pain.

The end result, I apparently just slough off red blood cells. No ulcers, tumors, anything, but every year I test positive for blood in my urine.

Hey, me again...

So I've pretty much decided to go ahead and do this thing.

Here's the funny part of this story, I guess. Our doctor's office is affiliated with... the Catholic church, I guess? Anyway, they can't straight-up do this in the office. That doesn't stop them from performing them, however. They have to do it in another office. A foot and ankle office. This also made me question the number of vasectomies performed by the physicians at this office. What do you guys think? I could go to an Urologist to get this done instead. Can anybody give me a story in which they were thankful one way or another between using their doc's office or visiting the Urologist? Or I guess another way to ask the same question: How much of your good or bad experience was WHO DID THE PROCEDURE?

Thanks again all for sharing your stories.

dRailer wrote:

Hey, me again...

So I've pretty much decided to go ahead and do this thing.

Here's the funny part of this story, I guess. Our doctor's office is affiliated with... the Catholic church, I guess? Anyway, they can't straight-up do this in the office. That doesn't stop them from performing them, however. They have to do it in another office. A foot and ankle office. This also made me question the number of vasectomies performed by the physicians at this office. What do you guys think? I could go to an Urologist to get this done instead. Can anybody give me a story in which they were thankful one way or another between using their doc's office or visiting the Urologist? Or I guess another way to ask the same question: How much of your good or bad experience was WHO DID THE PROCEDURE?

Thanks again all for sharing your stories.

O.o

This procedure should *always* be done by a urologist; GP's generally are not trained in it.

dRailer wrote:

Hey, me again...

So I've pretty much decided to go ahead and do this thing.

Here's the funny part of this story, I guess. Our doctor's office is affiliated with... the Catholic church, I guess? Anyway, they can't straight-up do this in the office. That doesn't stop them from performing them, however. They have to do it in another office. A foot and ankle office. This also made me question the number of vasectomies performed by the physicians at this office. What do you guys think? I could go to an Urologist to get this done instead. Can anybody give me a story in which they were thankful one way or another between using their doc's office or visiting the Urologist? Or I guess another way to ask the same question: How much of your good or bad experience was WHO DID THE PROCEDURE?

Thanks again all for sharing your stories.

I went to a Urologist (if that's not a Urologist I would seek one out) and he still did the procedure in a pretty standard office. It freaked me out a little because I assumed I was going to end up in super-clinical hospital. Instead they just give you a valium, numb you up and put you on a table to go to work. It's weird how average the procedure is given what they're working with. So I wouldn't be worried about it being performed in a standard doctor's office. I would be worried if it's not someone who's a specialist in that field.