That which has been seen/Vasectomy Snip-all

First time I had it, I was calm for 10 days. That's when I understood I had a real anxiety problem (and a huge sensitivity to benzos lol).

I only had local anesthetic when I had mine done. As the Dr. was injecting it, he asked if I was having any pain. I replied, "Just a little prick", and he said, "Hey, that's my line!"

"It's harder for me than you."

Well things went pretty well for me 2 weeks ago. They knocked me out, and the last thing I remember was them wheeling me into the operating room and showing me the table they were going to transfer me to and then I was back out and ready to change and go home. I never felt the need for pain meds. Bedroom activities resumed with no issues 8 days out.

As for recovery, I went on a short, easy 5 mile mountain bike ride (I had just worked up to 14+ miles pre-op) on about 9 days post-op, which was this past Monday. This morning I did some mowing, removing a couple saplings from the yard, washing my wife's Xterra, and going on a short bike ride around the neighborhood with my youngest son. I still feel a tiny bit of uncomfortableness here and there while biking, though.

They put you under? I got a prescription for valium and instructions on how to properly shave my junk.

The total time for me to enter the "OR", get snipped, then pull my pants up and leave was about 7 minutes.

mudbunny wrote:

They put you under? I got a prescription for valium and instructions on how to properly shave my junk.

The total time for me to enter the "OR", get snipped, then pull my pants up and leave was about 7 minutes.

I think I was out about 90mins at least. My appointment was set for 12:45 and I didn't leave until after 3.

Got my test results back. THESE PIPES ARE CLEAN!

Do men celebrate their Vaseversary?

Mixolyde wrote:

Got my test results back. THESE PIPES ARE CLEAN!

Do men celebrate their Vaseversary?

In a way that only men can...

Mixolyde wrote:

Got my test results back. THESE PIPES ARE CLEAN!

Do men celebrate their Vaseversary?

Put those kids to sleep and have lots of sex with your wife, stat.

Stele wrote:
Mixolyde wrote:

Got my test results back. THESE PIPES ARE CLEAN!

Do men celebrate their Vaseversary?

Put those kids to sleep and have lots of sex with your wife, stat.

Yes, sir! That's my favorite kind of sex!

Arise, for I am getting snipped on Dec 28. My wife is starting a new medication that will make birth control ineffective and could cause serious birth defects to the unborn, and we aren’t a camping friendly state. (If you know, you know).

What should I expect? Is there much pain? How much should I take off work or can I work from home?

And the doc said to buy compression shorts or tight undies? Really?

Thanks.

I wore a jock strap for the weekend. It helped.

Honestly, it wasn't bad. Got it on a Friday and had a chillaxed weekend(mild discomfort, but nothing that some whiskey didn't alleviate). Went to work on monday and left early because sitting in the chair was uncomfortable. Was back on Tuesday and it was fine from there.

Just be advised, it all fits together differently afterwards so it will take a while for it to feel normal. That isn't painful, just weird.

It's really really not that bad.

Oh, but totally make out like a martyr so your wife and son will be gentle with you for as long as you can get away with.

UpToIsomorphism wrote:

What should I expect? Is there much pain? How much should I take off work or can I work from home?

And the doc said to buy compression shorts or tight undies? Really?

Thanks.

In my case, I felt some pinching during the op, but no big deal. The first couple days of recovery felt like five minutes after taking a kid punch to the groin; tender but manageable.

They'll shave you during prep, even if they told you to do it at home. To do it over, I would have simply used my hair buzzer with the closest guard and called it good enough. The shaver they used was way quicker and safer than my feeble attempt.

And, yes, you want some snug undies for the following week. Any hang/sway that can be avoided is a win.

This might sound weird, but stay hydrated and maybe up your fiber intake, too. You don't want to be straining on the crapper that week.

UpToIsomorphism wrote:

What should I expect? Is there much pain? How much should I take off work or can I work from home?

What's the style of surgery you are getting?

I had the no-scalpel surgery. It took the surgeon about 7 minutes, and other than a little bit of soreness (that was easily dealt with by using Advil. Relaxed for three days, then "relaxed" and did nothing that might require a camping trip for another month. After which I got tested and was all clear.

I was put under for a no scalpel style one, so don't remember anything other than being wheeled into the room and looking around for a few seconds. I had what felt like someone pinching that tube that connects to your balls for a few days. Not super hard, but very uncomfortable. The odd thing was that one side felt like that, and the other didn't feel uncomfortable at all for a few days, and then they switched. Normal advil took care of most of it. Definitely recommend the bag of frozen peas (it's flexible) and tight underwear to reduce the hanging and pulling. Back to normal office work after a couple of days.

UpToIsomorphism wrote:

Arise, for I am getting snipped on Dec 28. My wife is starting a new medication that will make birth control ineffective and could cause serious birth defects to the unborn, and we aren’t a camping friendly state. (If you know, you know).

What should I expect? Is there much pain? How much should I take off work or can I work from home?

And the doc said to buy compression shorts or tight undies? Really?

Thanks.

I had a local anaesthetic for a scalpel surgery, I would plan a day off work on the day and maybe the day after after which I was fine. Just make sure you have someone else to get you home and do any major running around for the 24 hours and you will be ok. Good Luck!

mudbunny wrote:
UpToIsomorphism wrote:

What should I expect? Is there much pain? How much should I take off work or can I work from home?

What's the style of surgery you are getting?

I had the no-scalpel surgery. It took the surgeon about 7 minutes, and other than a little bit of soreness (that was easily dealt with by using Advil. Relaxed for three days, then "relaxed" and did nothing that might require a camping trip for another month. After which I got tested and was all clear.

I am not sure, but I believe it is the 'scalpel' variety. Doc said it should be in and out in 30 minutes. I will take the advice about the beard trimmer, and my wife will be doing the heavy lifting with that one.

Also, my wife and kiddo will be going out of town for the evening after my surgery (family is flying into CLE). I will stay at home for about an hour or so south, but I won't have a problem being alone, right?

They require someone to drive you home for legal whatever after the procedure. You should be able to drive yourself later that day if needed. But chilling on the couch with the frozen peas should be your main plan for 2-3 days

UpToIsomorphism wrote:
mudbunny wrote:
UpToIsomorphism wrote:

What should I expect? Is there much pain? How much should I take off work or can I work from home?

What's the style of surgery you are getting?

I had the no-scalpel surgery. It took the surgeon about 7 minutes, and other than a little bit of soreness (that was easily dealt with by using Advil. Relaxed for three days, then "relaxed" and did nothing that might require a camping trip for another month. After which I got tested and was all clear.

I am not sure, but I believe it is the 'scalpel' variety. Doc said it should be in and out in 30 minutes. I will take the advice about the beard trimmer, and my wife will be doing the heavy lifting with that one.

Also, my wife and kiddo will be going out of town for the evening after my surgery (family is flying into CLE). I will stay at home for about an hour or so south, but I won't have a problem being alone, right?

That actually sounds perfect for recovery, maybe have some easily heatable food or indulge in a takeaway and you will be right in no time.

Big day is tomorrow. I’m getting a little nervous, some encouragement would not be unappreciated.

Honestly, you will be fine. The lead-up to it is less comfortable than the physical aftermath. Recovery is easy and should be uneventful.

Good luck!

Robear wrote:

Honestly, you will be fine. The lead-up to it is less comfortable than the physical aftermath. Recovery is easy and should be uneventful.

Good luck!

Agreed. It is 100% no big deal. Don't tell that to your spouse, though. Ham it up a little.

Mixolyde wrote:
Robear wrote:

Honestly, you will be fine. The lead-up to it is less comfortable than the physical aftermath. Recovery is easy and should be uneventful.

Good luck!

Agreed. It is 100% no big deal. Don't tell that to your spouse, though. Ham it up a little.

Yup anticipation is far worse than the reality here. Good luck!

Snipped! Everyone was right, the worrying was the worst part. The second worst part, was it when my wife nicked to me shaving the night before.

Spoiler:

the doctor even commented how bad it was.

In a month or so, perhaps she'll make it up to you....

Congrats!

Glad it went well for ya, enjoy getting to lay around a few days.

Glad it went well and I hope the game controller is within easy reach today.

UpToIsomorphism wrote:

Snipped! Everyone was right, the worrying was the worst part.[/spoiler]

Honestly, I find that's a close-to-universal truth: It's never as scary as how your mind thinks it will be right before it.

...