The Dogs Days of the Pile

Pages

We've got one month left in Summer. I don't know about where the rest of you live, but it's stupid hot in Texas. I believe I shall sip on some iced tea and enjoy my central air conditioning while playing a select title or two from my collection*.

* - best if read with an old Southern accent, which I do not possess.

If you're interested, m0nk3yboy, has the 12 month pile plan thread over here.

A quick reminder, in order to be considered "Pile of Shame" the game needs to be at least three months old. Otherwise, it's just a new game you haven't gotten to playing yet.

Also, if you are curious about some of the previous threads, Pick's of the Pile, etc... Please go here and check out the Google doc I setup.

Let's get on to the games!

This Month's Pick of the Pile is

[size=30]The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword[/size]

IMAGE(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/99/Legend_of_Zelda_Skyward_Sword_boxart.png)

"Long ago, on a dark day, the earth cracked and evil forces rushed out of the fissure. These forces mercilessly attacked the people of the earth, slaughtering them and destroying their land. They did this in search of the ultimate power, a power capable of granting any wishes of its holder. This power, passed down from the gods of old, was guarded by Her Grace, the goddess of the land. The goddess gathered the surviving humans on a piece of earth and sent it skyward, beyond the clouds. With the humans safe, the goddess joined the land dwellers and fought the evil forces in a war of unmatched scale and ferocity. They eventually sealed the evil forces away, restoring peace to the surface." (zeldawiki.org)

[u]Multi-Platform[/u]
Anomaly Warzone - m0nk3yboy
Assassin's Creed 2 - gravity
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - Garden Ninja, Maximus
Assassin's Creed: Revelations - Jonman
Back to the Future - Stele
Batman: Arkham Asylum - iaintgotnopants
Batman: Arkham City - iaintgotnopants
Bioshock 2 - Luggage, AndrewA
Braid - AUs_TBirD
Breath of Death VII: The Beginning - AUs_TBirD
Call of Atlantis - m0nk3yboy
Darksiders - Le0hart85
Dark Souls - brokenclavicle
Dead Island - mrtomaytohead, Stele
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Quintin_Stone, Jonman
Enslaved - CptDomano
Fable: The Lost Chapters- Rezzy
Fable 3 - Rezzy
God of War - Luggage
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - SallyNasty
L.A. Noire DLC: A Slip of the Tongue - Garden Ninja
The Legendary Axe - AUs_TBirD
Marvel Super Hero Squad: Comic Combat - honeycut1
Majesty - [color=gray]gravity[/color]
Mega Man II - shoptroll
Mega Man III - shoptroll
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection - Jonman
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - ClockworkHouse
Penny Arcade Adventures: Episode 1 - brokenclavicle
Persona 3 - Blondish83
Rage - Slyght
Resonance of Fate - beeporama
Saints Row the Third - CptDomano
The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition - Garden Ninja
Skyrim - Jonman
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - nel e nel
Syndicate - CptDomano
Toy Soldiers - mrtomaytohead
Trine 2 - walterqchocobo
The Walking Dead: Episode 1 - Luggage, Hemi
Warhammer 40K: Space Marine - CptDomano, Hemi
WWE: All Stars - honeycut1
You Don't Know Jack - honeycut1

PC
Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - Hemi
Dawn of War II - CptDomano
Dear Esther - AUs_TBirD
The Dig - ClockworkHouse
Dungeon Keeper - AUs_TBirD
Guild Wars: Eye of the North - jdzappa
Shoot Many Robots - Stele
The Witcher - Blondish83, Le0hart85
Worms Crazy Golf - Stele
X-Com - master0

Xbox 360
Deadly Premonition - Slyght

[u]PS3[/u]
Flower - AndrewA
Infamous - Blondish83
Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time - AndrewA
Uncharted 2 - trueheart78
Uncharted 3 - trueheart78

[u]3DS[/u]
Mutant Mudds - ClockworkHouse

[u]DS[/u]
Dragon Quest IX - [i]walterqchocobo/i]
Mega Man ZX Advent - mrtomaytohead
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box - AUs_TBirD
Professor Layton and the Last Specter - AndrewA

[u]Wii[/u]
Fluidity - ClockworkHouse
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - ClockworkHouse, Farscry

Dark Soulsssssss!!!!!!!

First time posting first on the pile thread. I feel so special!

Between the move and KH3D I don't think I'll get much done this month. Put me down for Mega Man II (PS2) and Mega Man III (PS2) as I'm pretty sure I can push through those to the end of the Wily forts.

shoptroll wrote:

Between the move and KH3D I don't think I'll get much done this month. Put me down for Mega Man II (PS2) and Mega Man III (PS2) as I'm pretty sure I can push through those to the end of the Wily forts.

You haven't played Mega Man 2 or 3? It's 2012, man!!! Game's been out since '87 I think!!

As I teased in the other thread, Worms Crazy Golf (PC) is done.

Batman Arkham Asylum for me.

Aren't Mega Man II and III technically multi-platform?

I plan to ...uh...keep...all of the dungeons in Dungeon Keeper (PC) this month (for realz this time!)
Also, Braid (PC)
Dear Esther (PC) - I beat the original Half Life 2 mod way back when....I'll give this a spin now.
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box (DS)

On the side I'll try to take on Penny Arcade 3, and Bastion, as well as work on Final Fantasy IX and Midnight Club II.

All right, here's the short list. Seems like a lot, but a few I've already started on and others are <10 hour games. So it should be doable.

1. Warhammer 40k: Space Marine (Multi)
2. Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War II (PC)
3. Saints Row The Third (Multi)
4. Syndicate (Multi)
5. Enslaved (Multi)

Bioshock 2 (PC) is my August pick.

Uncharted 2 and 3 for me.

I've started Resonance Of Fate, and I intend to finish it.

I started it last week, but it's a carry over, so put me down for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

Let's start with The Dig (PC), The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii), and Mutant Mudds (3DS).

The dog days are over. The dog days are gone. So sayeth Florence ;P

kexx wrote:

You haven't played Mega Man 2 or 3? It's 2012, man!!! Game's been out since '87 I think!!

I beat them many a time as a young lad, but I'm trying to beat them as part of the Anniversary Collection. Sadly age has not been good to my twitch skills. Or it's input lag on my tv.... yeah, must be that I think

I didn't put as much time as planned into Assassins' Creed Brotherhood (multi) last month, but I'm about half way through now, so that should drop this month.

I'm also working on The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (multi). Played about 4 hours of it last month and got into Act II.

Still working (inconsistently) on Zelda: Skyward Sword. I've been a bit distracted by too many other shiny games too. But hey, that's a good problem.

Farscry wrote:

Still working (inconsistently) on Zelda: Skyward Sword. I've been a bit distracted by too many other shiny games too. But hey, that's a good problem. ;)

How far along are you? I think I've finally made it to the last dungeon and am pretty engaged after quite a bit of a slump just before.

Mine would be The Witcher on PC, Persona 3 on Vita, and Infamous on PS3

ClockworkHouse wrote:
Farscry wrote:

Still working (inconsistently) on Zelda: Skyward Sword. I've been a bit distracted by too many other shiny games too. But hey, that's a good problem. ;)

How far along are you? I think I've finally made it to the last dungeon and am pretty engaged after quite a bit of a slump just before.

Um... I'm not to the first dungeon yet. I only just started the game last month, I've played probably two or three hours (I'm a slow Zelda player, I like to explore every nook and cranny!). Then I got distracted by the Civ V expansion. I did at least finish one of my two pile games last month, Dragon Quest IX, so that's good. I just need to take advantage of free time to settle in and focus my attention on Zelda better.

AUs_TBirD wrote:

Aren't Mega Man II and III technically multi-platform?

I plan to ...uh...keep...all of the dungeons in Dungeon Keeper (PC) this month (for realz this time!)
Also, Braid (PC)
Dear Esther (PC) - I beat the original Half Life 2 mod way back when....I'll give this a spin now.
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box (DS)

On the side I'll try to take on Penny Arcade 3, and Bastion, as well as work on Final Fantasy IX and Midnight Club II.

See... this is where I count on you guys to tell me if it's multi and not just what platform YOU are playing it on. I believe Braid is multi-platform as well.

Some titles I know without looking up, others I have no clue.

Oh yeah, so it is. Totally forgot it was on PSN and...maybe XBLA as well?

C'mon. Everyone slips up once in a while

Oh sorry I think I always post what I play it on...

Garden Ninja wrote:

I didn't put as much time as planned into Assassins' Creed Brotherhood (multi) last month, but I'm about half way through now, so that should drop this month.

I also fell short of my plan to finish up AC: Brotherhood last month, but I am on sequence 7 so it should fall this month.

I haven't committed to a pile game in a couple months, but I'd like to get back on the wagon. This month I'll try to get through:

Bioshock 2 (multiplatform - PC)
Professor Layton and the Last Specter (DS)
Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time (PS3)
Flower (PS3)

It seems a little ambitious given that I'll be away most weekends, but I'm hoping that my wife pulls a lot of evening shifts. =)

CptDomano wrote:

5. Enslaved (Multi)

Enslaved is really good. Enjoy the ride.

I'm seeing a trend in the last few months of the 360 dropping off in exclusives for pile folks. Did everyone finish the few games? I find I pretty much only use it for Netflix now, and I've got a ton of games to finish for it. Methinks it's time for MS to announce another console.

Confession time, I didn't declare a game last month. I also didn't finish a damn thing either. I'm going to get through Space Marine this month.

Maximus wrote:
Garden Ninja wrote:

I didn't put as much time as planned into Assassins' Creed Brotherhood (multi) last month, but I'm about half way through now, so that should drop this month.

I also fell short of my plan to finish up AC: Brotherhood last month, but I am on sequence 7 so it should fall this month.

I'm at about the same place: 1 mission into Sequence 7. End of the month didn't see much progress since I'd been dealing with moving the past couple of weeks (finally in the new place as of yesterday).

I chipped at story missions for a while, but am now working on side stuff. All the Borgia Towers are burnt down. I have one last slot in the Assassins Guild to fill, two more Romulus shrines, and 8 of the Subject 16 puzzles. I want to knock a bunch of that out before moving on, since I know I won't get to it after beating the game.

Even with the maps, I don't feel like going for all the flags, and the fight club seemed tedious (knock out in 10 seconds? really?) so I'll be skipping those achievements.

Deus Ex: HR

Hemidal wrote:

I'm seeing a trend in the last few months of the 360 dropping off in exclusives for pile folks. Did everyone finish the few games? I find I pretty much only use it for Netflix now, and I've got a ton of games to finish for it. Methinks it's time for MS to announce another console.

Confession time, I didn't declare a game last month. I also didn't finish a damn thing either. I'm going to get through Space Marine this month.

Does the 360 have more than a handful of exclusives at this point? Seems like everything that was exclusive makes its way to the PC or PS3 eventually. It might be that people are still playing the 360 as much as ever but the games are getting listed under "Multiplatform."

ClockworkHouse wrote:

It might be that people are still playing the 360 as much as ever but the games are getting listed under "Multiplatform."

Personally, with the steam sales the past couple of summers, I've been playing a lot more on PC than I did in the several years before that. However, pretty much all of my multiplatform games are on the 360. Initially it was because of exclusives; now it's because I'm invested in that system. PS3 and Wii are for exclusives. PC is mostly exclusives + a few that are better than their console counterparts.

Pages