FF2012: Official GWJFFL 2012 signup and discussion thread

Joined! Went to drop out of the old league as asked in the e-mail but it looks like every spot is cleared.

I don't think I got an e-mail, but I logged back in and it looks like everything is OK. I didn't do anything besides log in, so if I need to take any actions let me know.

Phishposer wrote:

I don't think I got an e-mail, but I logged back in and it looks like everything is OK. I didn't do anything besides log in, so if I need to take any actions let me know.

Ditto.

Also, I put myself in the Eastern division, as that is where I was in Bronze last year. If you feel like switching me around, go for it.

Yeah similarly I clicked south because that's where I was before. I suppose Florida also qualifies as East if need be. Mostly I want to keep the division rivalry with justinbot if possible. I will always owe him for knocking me out of the playoffs last year.

Stele wrote:

Mostly I want to keep the division rivalry with justinbot if possible. I will always owe him for knocking me out of the playoffs last year. ;)

Fair enough. I'll re-evaluate the divisions (eventually) taking this into consideration.

All signed up in Silver (nice to move a division up without having to do anything, lol). Team name is currently being work-shopped, excited for the draft and for the season to start.

Added myself to Silver.

I've never used fleaflicker before, so I have a question: does the draft order reset everytime someone joins? I know a specific date hasn't been set yet, but for what its worth i'm currently listed as picking #1 overall. There are only 5 or 6 of us signed up though so maybe its just putting the latest guy into the #1 spot.

Signed in and set up for Gold. FWIW I signed up in the South since I'm currently living in Indiana, but feel free to shift me as needed.

Carlbear95 wrote:

Added myself to Silver.

I've never used fleaflicker before, so I have a question: does the draft order reset everytime someone joins? I know a specific date hasn't been set yet, but for what its worth i'm currently listed as picking #1 overall. There are only 5 or 6 of us signed up though so maybe its just putting the latest guy into the #1 spot.

Typically Grump will run a random lottery for draft picks once everyone is in and then you can see that on the site. It should be done with plenty of time to strategize (not a word I know) before the draft.

Speaking of, draft order is up for Platinum. I hate having the middle pick! hehe

What's the word on the dynasty league?

iaintgotnopants wrote:

What's the word on the dynasty league?

IMAGE(http://images4.fanpop.com/image/quiz/533000/533945_1296671443572_371_300.jpg)

ukickmydog wrote:
iaintgotnopants wrote:

What's the word on the dynasty league?

IMAGE(http://images4.fanpop.com/image/quiz/533000/533945_1296671443572_371_300.jpg)

The image doesn't work for me but, if it's not a picture of a catfight, I'm very disappointed in you.

iaintgotnopants wrote:

What's the word on the dynasty league?

Invitations have been sent out. I pulled my name from the pot, making the total 12, so if you applied, you're in; check your inbox.

4 hours until registration closes. I'm somewhat surprised that we haven't filled that last spot in the last 10 days.

Silver still needs a guy and Gold is missing four. You folks still interested?

Keeper prices are calculated and posted.

Draft time polls for Platinum and Keeper will be posted soon enough. Everyone else, find/figure out which of your league-mates haven't signed up on Fleaflicker yet and taunt them vigorously for holding up the league.

Grumpicus wrote:

Keeper prices are calculated and posted.

Muahahahaaha! Antonio Brown is my for $4!!! Muauahahahaha! Matthew Stafford is mine for $10!! Muuuahahahahahaa! Megatron is mine for $63!! Muahahahahaha! Oh ... wait.

Do we pre-select our keepers here, or does that happen at draft time?

Just curious, how are the values for the under $10 players added up? I see some that went up as little as $1 and some as much as $4. I imagine it has something to do with time played and points? Is there a specific formula you used?

So you may notice a show all formulas button on google docs. I suggest that.

Grumpicus wrote:

Short version: Column Z is the key. In the case of players with a base under $10, take column Z, multiply it by 10 (for example, 33.58% becomes 3.35 in the case of Victor Cruz) and round it ($3). If the player was mid-season pickup, add $1 ($4).

The only players that should have an increase of only $1 would have 1) had to have been acquired through the draft and 2) had a terrible enough season that resulted in a column Z value under 15%. This year, it was 6 of the 248 players on rosters.

The general rule of thumb is that drafted players will increase using the "$3-or-30%" formula and free agents increase by "$4-or-40%". Except for the high-end studs, most players come in under what the values would be with these static formulas.

Ah, got ya. The +$1 for FA is what I was missing.

Short version: Column Z is the key. In the case of players with a base under $10, take column Z, multiply it by 10 (for example, 33.58% becomes 3.35 in the case of Victor Cruz) and round it ($3). If the player was mid-season pickup, add $1 ($4). If you want more detail on how column Z is calculated, let me know.

The only players that should have an increase of only $1 would have 1) had to have been acquired through the draft and 2) had a terrible enough season that resulted in a column Z value under 15%. This year, it was 6 of the 248 players on rosters.

The general rule of thumb is that drafted players will increase using the "$3-or-30%" formula and free agents increase by "$4-or-40%". Except for the high-end studs, most players come in under what the values would be with these static formulas. For comparison, you can see what the price would have been in this case in column I. 154 of the 248 players cost less than they would under the static formula and 235 cost the same or less.

By my metrics, the team that best beat the static formula was Landshrk83's Lagomorphs with an "adjustment score" of 20 under par. Travis Henry is my Dad, on the other hand, benefited the least by coming in 8 under par... but having both Brees and Brady is obviously going to be expensive. Both the mean and median "adjustment score" is -15.

Note: Like QB Rating, you don't really want to know the somewhat-arbitrary formula behind "adjustment score" except to know that lower numbers (farther under par) means the team is that much better off than had we used the static formulas.

Also, Cam Newton for $7 is probably the keeper steal of the year. Anyone see any other other candidates?

Also, Cam Newton for $7 is probably the keeper steal of the year. Anyone see any other other candidates?

I also have McFadden for $11 - he's an absolute stud if he can stay healthy.

Also, Cam Newton for $7 is probably the keeper steal of the year. Anyone see any other other candidates?

My $7 Rob Gronkowski is pretty good too.

Hopped in. Was on vacation last week and just got around to checking my emails.

WhenIsGood links sent to Platinum and Keeper for draft date voting. Dynasty is still waiting on two and Gold is waiting on four. I've PM'd a couple folks to see if they want the last spot in Silver.

Edit...

Jolly Bill, Iridium884, Kush15, and thejustinbot - You've been sent your second invite to Gold. Please sign up before I promote someone from Silver.

garion333, Iridium884 - You've been sent your second invite to the dynasty league. I don't want to have to take it down to 10 teams, but I will.

Edit2: It looks like the emails that Fleaflicker sent out just point to the root of whenisgood.net. Log in to Fleaflicker and go to the message board to get the proper link.

Edit3: Also, (admittedly stolen from NFL.com), we'll most likely do a Google+ hangout for the draft(s) instead of Ventrilo.

Grumpicus wrote:

WhenIsGood links sent to Platinum and Keeper for draft date voting. Dynasty is still waiting on two and Gold is waiting on four. I've PM'd a couple folks to see if they want the last spot in Silver.

Edit...

Jolly Bill, Iridium884, Kush15, and thejustinbot - You've been sent your second invite to Gold. Please sign up before I promote someone from Silver.

garion333, Iridium884 - You've been sent your second invite to the dynasty league. I don't want to have to take it down to 10 teams, but I will.

Edit2: It looks like the emails that Fleaflicker sent out just point to the root of whenisgood.net. Log in to Fleaflicker and go to the message board to get the proper link.

Edit3: Also, (admittedly stolen from NFL.com), we'll most likely do a Google+ hangout for the draft(s) instead of Ventrilo.

Is 8:30 Eastern really the earliest possible time listed? I don't know what the timezones are for keeper, but at least for gold the map doesn't show anyone on the west coast. So perhaps have some earlier options for that one when it is up?

Ok, I added an extra hour on the front end to give people the option... but I know that Elliottx and Minase, just at a glance, are west coast (in Keeper).