Guild Wars 2 Catch All

Biggest thing would be to play a character all the way to 80, manually, for your first go-round. That lets you learn the systems and how they interact. After that, sure, jump to 40 or whatever with a new character after you feel you have an idea how it works. But for the first one, even if you start a few different ones, pick one and play it all the way to 80.

Another thing is that once you get to 80, you can "respec" to any of the specialties in the main portion of the skills. So don't worry if you find a variant of the class you think you might like more than the one you picked while leveling. You can respec and re-gear to try it out, at relatively small cost in gear if you're not min-maxing.

There is no shame in Fashion Wars.

Enjoy the stories and follow the story paths. They have good payoffs.

Awesome! Thanks for the advice.

Everything you do gives you XP so you can just focus on the game play.. levelling happens as a byproduct of having fun.

When you're out and about, use your camera to look around.. the level design is really good and they have a lot of visual indicators to pull you towards cool things to explore

---

On a personal note: got my Skyscale!

I also got my Skyscale a couple of weeks ago! Geez, what a grind that was.

As for advice, I'd say leveling "naturally" instead of with boosters is the way to go. Explore the world. Take your time. Enjoy.

So how much of the map do I need unlocked and at what level can I do guild missions? I have an 80 with a decent amount of unlocked areas but he’s an ele who’s quite squishy and not as much fun to play. I really like my new necro but she just turned 40 and has only unlocked Kryta and the area around Lions Arch. Not sure if she’s ready or not, though I have a ton of “travel to friend” passes.

If you mean tag along on someone else's guild missions, it really depends on the type but most are in low to mid level zones so you should be find at 40.

if you mean activating your own... there's a LOT of guild related requirements to reach that point.

sadly, when they reworked the guild system a few years back they pretty much killed off solo guilds. The GWJ guild hasn't been active since then either so it doesn't have any of that stuff unlocked either.

GrandmaFunk wrote:

If you mean tag along on someone else's guild missions, it really depends on the type but most are in low to mid level zones so you should be find at 40.

if you mean activating your own... there's a LOT of guild related requirements to reach that point.

sadly, when they reworked the guild system a few years back they pretty much killed off solo guilds. The GWJ guild hasn't been active since then either so it doesn't have any of that stuff unlocked either.

No no I’m still a member of Zealots I’d Shiverpeak so would love to tag along with them tomorrow.

I’d recommend joining the ZoS Discord then. They’re fairly active for raids and missions, but in the evening hours Stateside. Which isn’t an option for me.
I’ve done fewer than ten guild missions in the past seven years.

Zealots are a great group of people, and I think the oldest guild still in existence, having started with Guild Wars 1 devs.

First guild of the franchise, IIRC.

Robear wrote:

Zealots are a great group of people, and I think the oldest guild still in existence, having started with Guild Wars 1 devs. :-)

Awesome! I’m jumping in on their 9 pm mission tonight if anyone wants to join me.

Hi all

I'm trying to give this a go again, after many years away. I've downloaded the client, recovered my password etc, but when I try to enter the game, I get the message

"Connection failed" and error code 1076:4:5:2497

Does anyone know how to fix this, or is it a case of waiting for the devs?

That looks like an account issue, but it may be worth trying to repair the install.

The instructions are here.

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us...

you may get lucky, otherwise you may need to wait for support sadly.

It's an account config problem. Contact support per this doc. Scroll down to find Error 1076.

In some rare cases, the error can also appear if using an account created exclusively to play during a beta event, as it may not have full game access outside of the scheduled event.

WOW, your account is that old? Awesomesauve, Davet! Ping me your account name when you get in so I can add you to the GWJ guild.

Yes indeed Eleima, my account is that old. The support team did get back to me, but I'm pretty sure that I bought the game when it originally came out, and not in the beta phase. I can't find the original box with my code in, and I'm not buying it again, so I've just uninstalled it.

davet010 wrote:

Yes indeed Eleima, my account is that old. The support team did get back to me, but I'm pretty sure that I bought the game when it originally came out, and not in the beta phase. I can't find the original box with my code in, and I'm not buying it again, so I've just uninstalled it.

Not sure how long you keep your emails receipts, but you should have an email for both Beta and Retail keys. Unless you bought it from a store.

Unfortunately, it was actually a physical product, which I think I bought around about the time the game came out (the disk box was a fetching white, I seem to recall).

I admire your GW2 cred, Davet. Freakin' cool. I've only been playing since September 2012 myself. I didn't want to get it when it launched because I knew I'd play a lot of it. Fastforward eight years and 2k+ hours...
And yup, the disk box was white and damn pretty.

davet010 wrote:

Yes indeed Eleima, my account is that old. The support team did get back to me, but I'm pretty sure that I bought the game when it originally came out, and not in the beta phase. I can't find the original box with my code in, and I'm not buying it again, so I've just uninstalled it.

Ah that sucks, sorry to hear that. Although the base game is free now so if you want to play you can start a new account. You'll miss out on the birthday presents your characters have received though. But they're generally not as fun as the birthday minis you'd get in GW1. Mostly consumables and boosters.

Eleima wrote:

I admire your GW2 cred, Davet. Freakin' cool. I've only been playing since September 2012 myself. I didn't want to get it when it launched because I knew I'd play a lot of it. Fastforward eight years and 2k+ hours...
And yup, the disk box was white and damn pretty.

I was in the GW1 beta as well

davet010 wrote:
Eleima wrote:

I admire your GW2 cred, Davet. Freakin' cool. I've only been playing since September 2012 myself. I didn't want to get it when it launched because I knew I'd play a lot of it. Fastforward eight years and 2k+ hours...
And yup, the disk box was white and damn pretty.

I was in the GW1 beta as well

DItto on the box art.

That sucks about it being a physical copy. Sadly yea ArenaNet aren't keen on customer service when it comes to their account setups.

Honestly I would just start over with a free account and pick up the expansion pack if you’re having fun. The anniversary is coming up in a month so you can probably get HoT and PoF for 50 percent off.

Also, I have a signed original GW 1 collector set that I won in a giveaway. Flex...