Bastion Catch-all (now coming to iPad)

Devs said at some point that 6 to 8 hours is to be expected.

How long is the game?
We aimed to create a game with a “just right” length and scope – the kind of game that feels truly complete in every sense – but we know that players have very different expectations about optimal game length. Bastion is paced such that you will spend no time grinding for experience or loot, or performing the kinds of menial tasks that can pad the length of some games. Even so, in our tests the average player usually takes from 8 to 10 hours to play from start to finish the first time. The game includes a lot of optional content and offers a variety of reasons to revisit the story after you finish it the first time, so Bastion can last you a good long while if you want it to.

From the Bastion FAQ.

This thread and the Edge review are making it really hard to hold out for the PC version. I may have to just double dip...

BNice wrote:

This thread and the Edge review are making it really hard to hold out for the PC version. I may have to just double dip...

That confuses me. Why buy it twice? I can understand holding out to have it on the PC, and I can understand giving in and getting it now, but I can't understand doing both.

ClockworkHouse wrote:

Why buy it twice? I can understand holding out to have it on the PC, and I can understand giving in and getting it now, but I can't understand doing both.

It's not completely rational but it has to do with ownership and the assumption that it's as good as everyone is saying. If I buy the XBL version I can enjoy it now. But I'll want to own the PC version as it won't be locked into XBL, it will run better, I will be able to play it in the future and it would give me an excuse to play through again (again, assuming it's as good as everyone is saying).

I have my doubts that XBL games will be backward compatible on the 720 or whatever it's called, even more doubts when it comes to games I buy on PSN. Also, what it's like $30 for both? Not that big a deal. I like collecting games

Jeff-66 wrote:

I know one of you crazy cats will blow through this one, probably by the end of the day, so when you do, I'd appreciate a report on how many hours you get out of it. I liked what I saw of the demo, but I don't want to get burned like I did with Limbo, buying it blind and getting a 2 hour game for $15.

I've been seeing 6-7 hours around the web.

I have seen where its 6-8 hours on the first playthrough. But that first playthtrough is only ~half the content. Combine that with the fact that they have this difficulty totem mechanic that sounds like diablo 2's gem system but each one focuses on a different aspect of gameplay difficulty. I have no first hand experience but it seems like you can "slot" you game to have faster monsters, monsters with more hp, and monster do more damage or more monster hp, higher resists, and greater quantity of monsters. Or any combination of any of the above with bonuses to rewards based on how much you increase the difficulty.

That system, if I am giving an accurate description seems so awesome!

Yeah, Tom Chick noted this in his 15 things videogames can learn from Bastion write up.

"Let me manage my own risk/reward balance
The dirty little secret about Demon’s Souls is that it really isn’t that difficult. It just lets you manage the risk/reward ratio yourself. You are the master of your own difficulty level. When you died, it was because you made it that hard. Similarly, Halo lets you find skulls to jigger the difficulty level when you replay levels, making them as hard as you want them to be.

But Bastion builds this idea into the first play-through with its shrine, where you can slot various icons to different gods, each of whom makes the game more difficult in specific ways. And each one you slot increases the amount of money and experience points you earn. When you die, Bastion always gives you the option to restart the level with or without your difficulty idols slotted. You are the master of your own difficulty level. When you die, it’s because you make it that hard."

fangblackbone wrote:

I have seen where its 6-8 hours on the first playthrough. But that first playthtrough is only ~half the content. Combine that with the fact that they have this difficulty totem mechanic that sounds like diablo 2's gem system but each one focuses on a different aspect of gameplay difficulty. I have no first hand experience but it seems like you can "slot" you game to have faster monsters, monsters with more hp, and monster do more damage or more monster hp, higher resists, and greater quantity of monsters. Or any combination of any of the above with bonuses to rewards based on how much you increase the difficulty.

That system, if I am giving an accurate description seems so awesome!

I've been playing for a few hours now, and this is correct -- you 'activate' different gods, each of which gives your enemies a boost in some way (speed +, after-death explosion, etc).

About an hour in during lunch today. Love it to death. Love the narration system. I hope it stays so good all the way through. Haven't encountered much, if any repetition yet.

Can you really only switch weapons at stations? PLUS it autoequips all new weapons?

CptGlanton wrote:

Can you really only switch weapons at stations? PLUS it autoequips all new weapons?

Right. Encourage the player to use new weapons, don't force them. I was put off by that at first and still find it annoying. Also, no customizable controls. I still occasionally find myself attacking with my melee when I want to dodge. I don't like having the main attacks buttons separated. Ranged targeting is also very finicky during combat. Completely understandable, still annoying.

Overall, a solid experience so far. The combat being the highlight for me.

Finished it. Time estimates held true for my playthrough. It's fantastic, if you don't like good games then you should stay away from this one. Also, there's a new game plus system in place which means they'll have me going through it again for sure.

Well, I fired up the demo. Loved how the narration works, kinda meh on the actual voice, don't like the gameplay much. It feels really sloppy and imprecise. I can't predict very exactly what the character's going to do based on what buttons I press, and the control scheme is completely f*cked up. Since when is A not the main attack button?

*announcer voice* Kid needs a whack upside the head. */announcer voice*

Malor wrote:

Well, I fired up the demo. Loved how the narration works, kinda meh on the actual voice, don't like the gameplay much. It feels really sloppy and imprecise. I can't predict very exactly what the character's going to do based on what buttons I press, and the control scheme is completely f*cked up. Since when is A not the main attack button?

*announcer voice* Kid needs a whack upside the head. */announcer voice*

I agree that the control scheme is a bit awkward, but the combat feels very tight to me. It just takes a bit of time to adjust. I'm about 3 hours in now and am loving it.

I played about an hour last night, and I'm not seeing what generates the outpouring of unqualified love for this one. The highpoint has been the narrator (which I'm loving, as a fan of Westerns), and I do like the overall art design quite a bit. But if they put any revision into the gameplay elements, there is no evidence of it here. The weapon selection system I posted about above is a terrible idea in a way that gets under my skin, and I'm really not a fan of mixing "world spawns under you" with "you can walk off any ledge." What game lets you continue exploring after finding the Magic Trinket in one dungeon, but then cuts you off and closely off the dungeon completely and forever after finding it in the next one? And while I don't find the combat and movement to be sloppy, exactly, I would call it uninteresting and shallow (again, after one hour; I hope it improves).

I really like the overall tone of the world they created, but I truly do not understand many of their design choices.

Here's the man behind the (voice) curtain:

IMAGE(http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/ziffel66/forum/logan.jpg)

Logan Cunningham, Bastion's narrator.

Got a couple hours in and really enjoying the game. The visuals, the sound, and the narrator all come together to make this really stand out, as I thought it would, but I'm a bit surprised at how much I'm liking the actual gameplay, it really works for me.

Well, this awesome looking game just popped on to my radar. I can only assume they'll release it on Steam eventually because it will make a killing.

I played for 3 hours straight tonight. I love it so far; the sense of swift progress is a real design success, and the narrator really adds to the experience. My only gripe is the auto-targeting, which made the rifle proving grounds a bit rougher than necessary, but it is far from a game breaker.

I enjoyed this game a great deal.

I also played about an hour last night.

I'm diggin it. The visuals are interesting and the narration is a really cool idea, but the combat is working me over pretty good. Maybe I'm not rolling or blocking enough. I probably died 3 times fighting that first big fat guy that spews the blue slow juice.

There are times when there seems to be a great number of things going on at one time. More than a hack&slashy control scheme seem to be able to handle. Big guys that are just knocking you back and forth between them while 4 floaty turrets endlessly pumps shots in your direction.

Though I do recall the guys at Giant Bomb saying there was a bit of a learning curve but by the end you felt like a god. Can anyone vouch for that yet?

After a few hours, I can vouch for it. I didn't have much of a problem at first, however, so I'm not sure we're in the same boat. Ducking and blocking are two very important skills - countering with the shield can make a huge difference. It's all about mixing and matching, too. So many different weapons/secret skills/spirits that you can craft some really interesting combinations with.

HansomB1derful wrote:

I'm diggin it. The visuals are interesting and the narration is a really cool idea, but the combat is working me over pretty good. Maybe I'm not rolling or blocking enough. I probably died 3 times fighting that first big fat guy that spews the blue slow juice.

There are times when there seems to be a great number of things going on at one time. More than a hack&slashy control scheme seem to be able to handle. Big guys that are just knocking you back and forth between them while 4 floaty turrets endlessly pumps shots in your direction.

I found that I did okay with this: shoot (with the repeater gun) until the enemies are close, then hammer until they touch you, then roll, roll, roll until you're on the far side of the screen and start over again. Doing that, I think I've only had one or two knockdowns in combat and zero restarts. You also get a timed mine that you can drop (for your RT attack) that is very useful for those 'busy' fights. The only time I really use blocking is when I'm using my gun against those turrets.

I really wish it would let me choose a target before I actually draw the string on my bow. The first bow challenge is getting annoying because the target switching always chooses seemingly random targets.

That said, other than some minor iffy control things like that, this game is pretty much awesome.

Thin_J wrote:

I really wish it would let me choose a target before I actually draw the string on my bow. The first bow challenge is getting annoying because the target switching always chooses seemingly random targets.

Indeed. I've skipped it for now thinking that I'll get a bow power-up to help me gold star it. I've done it in 7 shots but 5 seems impossible.

LiquidMantis wrote:
Thin_J wrote:

I really wish it would let me choose a target before I actually draw the string on my bow. The first bow challenge is getting annoying because the target switching always chooses seemingly random targets.

Indeed. I've skipped it for now thinking that I'll get a bow power-up to help me gold star it. I've done it in 7 shots but 5 seems impossible.

I've done it in six shots more times than I can count, but I always miss at least one power shot because the timing is so strict and I have to try and jump targets after I've started to pull. The most frustrating one is where I hit five power shots in a row, but on one of them the target switching picks a totally different target than it picked last time when I hit the same button in the same position.

Really frustrating. And I'm not the kind of gamer that just looks at a singleplayer bit like this and goes "Oh well, maybe later"

I'm the kind that keeps doing it until I either get it or say to hell with it and give up on the game in total. Granted, that's my own personal crap, but I don't know how not to take that into account when I look at what I think of a certain aspect of a game. I can avoid this bit of my mindset if the objective is something that doesn't seem quite within my grasp when I first try it, but if it's something where I know I can do it right then, then generally I just keep throwing myself at it until I get it.

*

Just hit five shots in a row in the right positions, but one of them randomly did less damage than all the others and didn't destroy the row of targets. Almost threw my controller.

*Finally did it and got to move on

You can use LB and RB to switch what you're aiming at, although it's not always intuitive what you'll cycle to. If you switch so that you're aiming at one of the targets in the middle or at the back, the Breaker challenge is a cinch.

After maybe an hour or so of play, I'm enjoying the game but it hasn't really grabbed me in a big way. The narrator is a neat idea, but he rarely says anything interesting. Lots of apocalyptic and vaguely portentous stuff, but mostly he's just telling me what I'm doing in fairly basic terms. It's like I'm replaying Alan Wake.

LiquidMantis wrote:
Thin_J wrote:

I really wish it would let me choose a target before I actually draw the string on my bow. The first bow challenge is getting annoying because the target switching always chooses seemingly random targets.

Indeed. I've skipped it for now thinking that I'll get a bow power-up to help me gold star it. I've done it in 7 shots but 5 seems impossible.

Hold LT to aim before you draw the bow. The bow challenge is pretty much impossible until you have better damage for the bow (you need 5 perfectly placed power shots). I was able to easily get it done with 3 upgrades.

Clemenstation wrote:

Hold LT to aim before you draw the bow.

Hot damn, thanks. That may be the fix for me. I'm too busy trying to frantically change targets before the power shot indicator flashes..

The bow challenge is a *lot* easier with +4 target penetrations and +50% damage, which is 3 upgrades, like Clemenstation said. All the proving grounds become much easier with the right upgrades and the right spirits.