MechWarrior: Online - Catch all

oh, vent... I probably should have guessed there would be somebody from around here with that setup... I will have to remember to check on that.

Please someone go in vent. I'm puggin it, and it's like a scientific diagram of diffusion.

Thanks for the help MB. I've got a lot to learn. I'm adjusting to the whole communication thing.

Ghostship wrote:

Thanks for the help MB. I've got a lot to learn. I'm adjusting to the whole communication thing.

Thanks for having me along. It works even better when you have 4 together and can really focus fire properly.

I got the acceleration and braking skills in the pilot lab.

I used to use the full stop button to adjust my speed because of my G13 setup. I use the thumbstick for throttle and turning.

Not that I accellerate and stop quickly, I look like a learner's permit on a manual transmission.

So, being significantly past the cadet bonus, I'm starting to see why the pay for tech scheme will work. The grind is slow. Really slow if you're a pug, and not winning undamaged.

I played basically all afternoon, and only made short of 1M. I need about 3M to get a decent light mech.

Worth noting though that I've been spending a bit here and there on my only owned mech.

I do think it's worth paying in the value of game title. It doesn't seem like a beta to me.

Ghostship wrote:

So, being significantly past the cadet bonus, I'm starting to see why the pay for tech scheme will work. The grind is slow. Really slow if you're a pug, and not winning undamaged.

I played basically all afternoon, and only made short of 1M. I need about 3M to get a decent light mech.

Worth noting though that I've been spending a bit here and there on my only owned mech.

I do think it's worth paying in the value of game title. It doesn't seem like a beta to me.

On the medium mechs, I was earning about enough to buy another medium as I'd hit the elite level on the mech. Of note: I played some double XP weekends. Also, I tend to move stuff off of mechs I'm not playing actively, so I wasn't fully outfitting every mech the way I wanted to run it. For instance, I used the upgrade engine across all three of my Hunch's, just moving it from one to the next as I leveled them.

I did the valentines weekend thing; I didn't realize that you also have to activate it in the Mech lab interface. I was baffled why my earnings were so low. I managed about an additional hour with it activated. Still, if you're not in a team, on a Saturday night, you have to wait to win the lottery. I got in with a team that stuck together, used terrain, and supported each other about one in eight launches.

Has anyone actually played on the new map yet?

It's huge.
Lots of open space.
Do not go out in the open.

It's also a cap fest.

This was my experience.

It highlights the need for a system whereby, you board your drop ship, are given your mission briefing, choose your equipment to deploy, then get dropped.

Read, we need the chance to choose a mech, or at least a loadout, based on the map we're being dropped into. That needs to be balanced by committing to the match before knowing, and suffering a penalty for dropping out.

There's already a problem with AFK pilots, and the odd guy from the other team who didn't make it on their side, and disconnects. PUG problems journal entry one.

Is there a way to use just a throttle alone, or do these depend on stick/yoke?
I might hit the thrift store. They always have piles of old wheels, and flight sticks.
I'd like the left/right oriented throttle grip with maybe a trigger or two, and some thumb buttons, so I can mouse the other hand.

My g13 thumbstick is good enough, but not perfect. Right now I throttle by tapping the "zero throttle" key and holding the stick forward. Tapping faster makes me slow more for turning. Just trying to set the throttle and turn with the same stick has proven too unreliable.

Also, use MC for premium time only. If you wasted your cadet bonus, like me, using MC for a mech slot takes some of the grind out of the grind.

Puggin three more matches. Then, if nobody shows, I'll go into Amalur.

I think my USB hub just died.

I lost keyboard, mouse headset, and hung everything.

Had to plug into the front USB.

The hub is rather hot. I don't think it likes the wireless headset.

I'm going to hang it up, see if I can get my HIDs back tomorrow.

Sorry to drop while you were AFK.

Looks like I crashed out of Vent too. There's two of me in there.

Ghostship wrote:

I think my USB hub just died.

I lost keyboard, mouse headset, and hung everything.

Had to plug into the front USB.

The hub is rather hot. I don't think it likes the wireless headset.

I'm going to hang it up, see if I can get my HIDs back tomorrow.

Sorry to drop while you were AFK.

Looks like I crashed out of Vent too. There's two of me in there.

Ha ha I was wondering what had happened. No worries, I figured there was a hardware issue when we dropped in the next match and you disappeared.

March upgrade list was posted.

Looks like the desert map is coming in, a new mech and hero, control scheme and joystick improvements, a testing ground where you can get in offline testing. Also consumables, which I'm a bit concerned about, but I guess if they got rid of repair and rearm costs, I won't complain too much.

Anybody out there getting a very concerned feeling about the consumable implementation, even with the tweaks to the original plan talked about here?

MannishBoy wrote:

Anybody out there getting a very concerned feeling about the consumable implementation, even with the tweaks to the original plan talked about here?

Eh, we'll need to see them in action, but I'm not stressed about it. For someone to continually use them, it will become expensive. Also, it's slow; I can see it helping in limited circumstances (aiding in defending a point/taking out fixed LRM boats).

Edit: It will make people pissed off if there are a lot of friendly fire incidents, however.

These don't fit, at all, in the current beta. Far too "pay to win".

I can see them working well if a hardcore stream of players with a really svelte match making system develops. The kind of thing where people are playing in factions, and houses, and around which a whole guild/league thing develops. Private leagues maybe?

I haven't read enough of the developers' material to know if this is on the books or not.

This week's patch added the Jagermech, a desert map, and the consumable coolant flush stuff.

It also adds some simplified control options that unfortunately they turned on for everybody by default. So you'll need to probably go into your controls and unlock your arms from your torso and flip the throttle back to a graduated throttle (default is on or off).

Still playing with the Jag, for builds.

Also trying to get more out of my fract.

Spent a lot of CB this weekend. Should have stepped up to permium time considering how much I played.

May be in the Alienware Neverwinter weekend tonight.

Here is a patch review from my current favorite gaming news site.

http://themittani.com/news/mwo-march...

and here is the part that covers the Pay to Win speculation.

"There are 3 Coolant Modules; Cool Shot 6 (10k CB), Cool Shot 9 (40k CB) and Cool Shot 18 (15 MC). Each module dissipates 6, 9 or 18 heat during its one second duration as per its name. There are 2 new Pilot Skills which increase the amount of heat dissipated as well. The first Skill, “Cool Boost”, adds 20% to the heat dissipated by all modules. With this skill a Cool Shot 6 dissipates 7.2 heat/second, a 9 will dissipate 10.8 heat/second and an 18 will dissipate 21.6 heat/second. The second and more important Skill, “Cool Shot 9 by 9”, upgrades the Cool Shot 9 module into the Cool Shot 9 by 9 module. This increases it’s base value to 18 (21.6 with “Cool Boost”) making it equal to the Coolshot 18. Both Skills come in at 15k GXP, which is either an incentive to pay MC for MXP to GXP conversions or just grind out more GXP.

Cool Shot 18 (MC) and Cool Shot 9 by 9 (CB) may not be fit to the same mech, though you may fit the Cool Shot 6 in tandem with either the 9 by 9 or the 18. This means that with the right skills the MC module is never superior to the CB modules.

Yes; PGI’s first MC consumable isn’t Pay 2 Win. Not a big surprise after their Command Chair thread about it, though plenty were claiming “The end of the world is nigh upon us.”."

We need to group up again. I haven't gotten in with an active group of people from GWJ in awhile.

Hah, I was screwing around in youtube and came across this vid from awhile back where a guy played with a bunch of us and did a commentary. Mordin and Stylez topped the leader board, and he says something about the "XP" guys must be clan guys.

MannishBoy wrote:

Hah, I was screwing around in youtube and came across this vid from awhile back where a guy played with a bunch of us and did a commentary. Mordin and Stylez topped the leader board, and he says something about the "XP" guys must be clan guys.

Ha ha amazing find Mannish. I'll pass it along to Moridin

I'll admit it, I dropped money on Heavy Metal. The I also bought the DD Jager. I was able to throw 6 AC2s on it but the heat became completely unmanagable. I thought the point of ballistics was to not generate heat? I'm now running with an AC10 on each arm.

The awesome thing with the Jager is that the visible arm guns change depending on what ballistics you throw on there.

Nevin73 wrote:

I'll admit it, I dropped money on Heavy Metal. The I also bought the DD Jager. I was able to throw 6 AC2s on it but the heat became completely unmanagable. I thought the point of ballistics was to not generate heat? I'm now running with an AC10 on each arm.

The awesome thing with the Jager is that the visible arm guns change depending on what ballistics you throw on there.

I was looking at that. I think more of the new mechs work better with this. Wonder if eventually all will get updated?

I've been pubbing this quite a bit lately. I think it's the bite sized round length that allows me to hop in for a few minutes then go on with my day.

I do tend to lose a lot of rounds and die a lot without being in active communication with other players, though. I wish we had a more regular player group from here, but there's a lot of great stuff out right now, even in just the F2P genre.

Stylez wrote:

Ha ha amazing find Mannish. I'll pass it along to Moridin :)

You clanner you.

I can't PUG it anymore.

Any tips on finding a clan, or are you guys playing regularly?

I can't stomach stupid stuff like my lunch break today, a guy standing out alone at Theta on Torm. and I chat, "grab that before you leave". He leaves without capping it, and I think, "stupid". Nothing was said. An Atlas was looping around, so I looped with him, I go for theta, a little faster than the Atlas, and walk face first into the whole enemy team sitting there under ECM. He had to have been able to see them. Not one word. No, "can't cap it, enemy right here".

Ghostship wrote:

I can't PUG it anymore.

Any tips on finding a clan, or are you guys playing regularly?

I'm playing fairly regularly lately. Haven't seen anybody else on. I try to remember to get into Vent if I'm going to be on longer than a round or two.

You could see if you could find people at a site like nogutsnogalaxy.net. Think they have a big Teamspeak.

MannishBoy wrote:
Ghostship wrote:

I can't PUG it anymore.

Any tips on finding a clan, or are you guys playing regularly?

I'm playing fairly regularly lately. Haven't seen anybody else on. I try to remember to get into Vent if I'm going to be on longer than a round or two.

You could see if you could find people at a site like nogutsnogalaxy.net. Think they have a big Teamspeak.

I usually play a couple rounds every night if I can get a few minutes. I jump in vent too.