MechWarrior: Online - Catch all

Conquest is also sort of painful because the pubbie herd mentality hasn't adopted tactics for the game mode yet. If you split off, you're easy meat. If you stay together, you lose capture points to fast mechs. I think it will get better with time but there will be some growing pains.

My Atlases (Atlasi?) are not well suited to the game mode. I'm too slow and plodding.

Not sure what I think of the new Stalkers yet.

I was playing this a few months ago, in what I believe was beta (this was probably around August or so). I enjoyed it quite a bit, and planned to come back later.

Life ensued, and so I finally logged back in for the first time in months, and I'm confused by some basic things. The biggest thing is that, as far as I can tell, there's no way to buy a mech by just playing the game. Is that true, or am I missing something? Mechs used to be purchaseable with either the in-game currency one gets from playing (CBills?) or by buying their currency with dollars.

If it's true that I can't buy a mech other than by paying them, I'm not sure I'm interested in this game. I might've put money in for special mechs, but I don't want to pay them just to get out of the trial mechs.

Yes, you can buy a mech with just C-Bills, earned ingame, without real life cash. I've done just that, bought a Commando and a Raven, and equipped them how I wanted, again using just C-Bills. Haven't spent a real dime.

In fact, if you aren't sure where you want to spend your C-Bills, start a second account. The newbie bonus you get amounts to about 9 million C-Bills, more than enough to buy most mechs. if you aren't insisting on a super geared out Assault mech, then you should be able to buy what you need just with the in-game cash, no real money. And if it turns out that the mech you bought and equipped isn't what you want, then start yet another account, play out enough matches to earn the entire newbie bonus, and try again.

I will probably start a third account, earn the newbie credits, and buy a Catapult, a K2 variant, just so I can see if a dual AC/20 mech is still viable. I have fond memories from earlier in the closed beta of firing 3 salvos into the center torso of an Awesome class assault mech and watching him go down in flames. Nobody likes taking 120 points of damage in the same location in short order.

StaggerLee wrote:

Life ensued, and so I finally logged back in for the first time in months, and I'm confused by some basic things. The biggest thing is that, as far as I can tell, there's no way to buy a mech by just playing the game. Is that true, or am I missing something? Mechs used to be purchaseable with either the in-game currency one gets from playing (CBills?) or by buying their currency with dollars.

I think you're getting confused. There are two currencies. MC and Cbills. Cbills are what you earn in game. MC is the paid for currency.

If you don't currently own any mechs, there are four free ones you can play with, one in each weight class. You keep the cbills you earn when using them, like Warhound has said, you will get a bump over your first 25 matches, weighted toward the front of that so that you earn pretty quickly. Older players were spotted nearly 8 million cbills to compensate for not having received that, so your account should have enough cbills in it to buy nearly any mech up to a full Assault mech.

Keep an eye on the GWJ Vent server MWO channel if you have any questions. I'm sure one of us can help, and there's been a good core group of players lately.

Huh, odd. I don't see a C-bill price listed for buying any mechs, and sadly don't have any CBills in my account (other than the small number I got from playing a couple matches yesterday). I'll try starting a new account as suggested by Warhound and see if that makes thing easier for me.

StaggerLee wrote:

Huh, odd. I don't see a C-bill price listed for buying any mechs, and sadly don't have any CBills in my account (other than the small number I got from playing a couple matches yesterday). I'll try starting a new account as suggested by Warhound and see if that makes thing easier for me.

AH, I know what you're doing. You're looking at the hero mech tab. All of those are MC only. Look at the light, medium, heavy, or attack mech tabs, and those you can buy for MC or CB.

Nothing like a confusing interface to run people off. See also Blacklight Retribution

Yeah, that was it, MB. Except the problem was that when I initially clicked on the Light, Medium, and Heavy mechs, the first few were the same ones as in the Hero mech tab, hence my confusion.

Now I'm playing and enjoying it again, but can' tseem to find the part where I repair my owned mech (I bought a Jenner). Is that somethign else they removed, or is it just buried in some interface I can't find?

Repair and reload was (were?) removed in the latest patch (on 12/18).

MannishBoy wrote:

Looks like triple XP this weekend. Also they released the Spider mech.

I haven't played in a bit, will probably hop in some.

Cool, triple XP.

I have been playing a lot more over the last week, and streaming it all on Twitch. I've gotten some good pointers from various viewers.

My HBK 4SP play is pretty beastly now. Got 5 kills with it one match last night.

I'm not sure what the appeal of the Spider is, jump jets make you so vulnerable....

Speed and maneuverability. It is supposed to be tops in both. I can see them wreaking havoc by flanking constantly.

fangblackbone wrote:

Speed and maneuverability. It is supposed to be tops in both. I can see them wreaking havoc by flanking constantly.

I played against some last night. They are tough to hit, but streak SM2s, if they hit, will wear them down quickly. I imagine the pilot's cannot stop moving for an instant. They can fly so high that they can get above your ability to hit them.

Kamakazi010654 wrote:
MannishBoy wrote:

Looks like triple XP this weekend. Also they released the Spider mech.

I haven't played in a bit, will probably hop in some.

Cool, triple XP.

Crap, that was a mistake, it's double XP. Saw a twitter post but then see news stories about double XP. Sorry.

fangblackbone wrote:

Speed and maneuverability. It is supposed to be tops in both. I can see them wreaking havoc by flanking constantly.

Problem with a lot of the fast mechs is that the netcode can't keep up, and it becomes very hard to hit them not due to speed and skill, but due to the fact they're warping all over. Wish they'd get that fixed.

Looks like triple double XP this weekend. Also they released the Spider mech.

I haven't played in a bit, will probably hop in some.

Running some group matches of MWO this evening, jump on vent if you are interested!

Stylez wrote:

Running some group matches of MWO this evening, jump on vent if you are interested!

I'll be around in a bit.

Finally bought a new mech. Enjoying the Cataphract 2X. I searched for something that worked for me. Started with LRM 15s and 5s in the arms, keeping the AC10 and lasers. I'm not very patient, so don't handle LRMs very well. So I switched it up to be a bit more of a brawler. LB 10X, 1 large laser, 2 medium lasers, and 2 streak SRMs. Stock engine, but double HS, and endosteel. More fun for me.

Basically CTF-2X(cool site I found on the official forums).

Might go 4x next.

New hero:

People are saying on the forums that hit detection is better with this patch.

Why are you people not playing in Vent? I can't find an organized team to save my life tonight.

New hero and patch. Looks like the paint system has been made a bit more friendly, with all previous purchases refunded so you can start fresh.

Ouch, Pretty Baby, the new Hero mech (an Awesome) is roughly $30 in real cash. It does have a bitchin' paint job, though. I shudder to think at how much they'll be charging for the Atlas Hero mech that they'll eventually be putting out.

Sounds ridiculous to me, but then again, so do all the League Of Legends custom hero visuals and whatnot, too. As long as I don't have to buy, I'm cool with that.

jlaakso wrote:

Sounds ridiculous to me, but then again, so do all the League Of Legends custom hero visuals and whatnot, too. As long as I don't have to buy, I'm cool with that.

I used some of my MC to purchase one premium colour and a bunch of the camo colours, so I should be set for the forseeable future with that. I'm still putting plenty of time into this and each patch brings it closer to being an absolutely excellent Mechwarrior game.

Saw Knight Templar in there tonight. I was in one of my alt accounts, trying to figure things out.

I'm playing as TacticalUnderpants.

Ghostship wrote:

Saw Knight Templar in there tonight. I was in one of my alt accounts, trying to figure things out.

I'm playing as TacticalUnderpants.

That was me. The thing I love about MWO is that I can log on, get a game on while the wife is outside smoking a cig, and then get back to family time.

We really need to organize some nights to group up.

Nevin73 wrote:

That was me. The thing I love about MWO is that I can log on, get a game on while the wife is outside smoking a cig, and then get back to family time.

We really need to organize some nights to group up.

I totally agree. I check Vent but nobody ever seems to be there.

sr_malo wrote:
Nevin73 wrote:

That was me. The thing I love about MWO is that I can log on, get a game on while the wife is outside smoking a cig, and then get back to family time.

We really need to organize some nights to group up.

I totally agree. I check Vent but nobody ever seems to be there.

I pop in and out. Like somebody said above, the rounds in this are short enough to get in and out of when you only have a few minutes.*

[size=10]*Then you get sucked into the mechlab tinkering for an extra half of an hour.[/size]

oh, vent... I probably should have guessed there would be somebody from around here with that setup... I will have to remember to check on that.

Please someone go in vent. I'm puggin it, and it's like a scientific diagram of diffusion.

Thanks for the help MB. I've got a lot to learn. I'm adjusting to the whole communication thing.

Ghostship wrote:

Thanks for the help MB. I've got a lot to learn. I'm adjusting to the whole communication thing.

Thanks for having me along. It works even better when you have 4 together and can really focus fire properly.