MechWarrior: Online - Catch all

Kommissar wrote:

This teamspeak server has really added to my enjoyment of the game. There is always around a hundred players in the server and I've never waited more than a few minutes in the LFG channel before being recruited for a drop.

Comstar Relay Europe (Comstar EU)
Available Slots: 512 Man
TS3 server Address: eu1.mech-connect.net
Password: hG5!4Dg*

Quoting myself from one page ago to assist the filthy skimmers

I'll have to check out that teamspeak server. I'd love to play with some more serious folks when my brother's not on. Coordination makes it way more fun

On a different note, though, I just scored 4 kills and 3 assists in my 3 Med Laser Commando. 263 dmg. 151k CB and 865 XP.

Man that felt good, even if it was just a pub

So with Moridin's help I've come across the absolute best light mech shredding build I've seen. Roll a catapult with an XL 200 engine, 2 Large Lasers, and 2 LBX-10s in the center. With decent heat dissipation you should have room for 3 tons of ammo and be nearly fully armored. It's absolutely beastly.

I need to play this again. I keep drifting away, but have fun when I do play.

Yup, still suck at this game.

TempestBlayze wrote:

Yup, still suck at this game.

Yup, me too.

Practice. Practice. Practice.

TempestBlayze wrote:

Yup, still suck at this game.

The game is tactically very rewarding. Here's the quote I keep repeating that leads to wins: If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly.

Recon is extremely important, always make sure someone bigger than you is drawing the fire, preferably even if you are the biggest mech in town. My extremely effective Light-stomping build is a Catapult with 2 large lasers and 2 LB-10X ACs, absolutely tears through light armor.

Targeting is very important, when rolling with a squad we have had massive success not only focus firing on a particular opponent, but going for their legs. The first thing most people do when they find themselves short a ton or two is shed some armor from their legs, after all, who shoots at legs? Now YOU do!

Stylez wrote:
TempestBlayze wrote:

Yup, still suck at this game.

The game is tactically very rewarding. Here's the quote I keep repeating that leads to wins: If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly.

Recon is extremely important, always make sure someone bigger than you is drawing the fire, preferably even if you are the biggest mech in town. My extremely effective Light-stomping build is a Catapult with 2 large lasers and 2 LB-10X ACs, absolutely tears through light armor.

Targeting is very important, when rolling with a squad we have had massive success not only focus firing on a particular opponent, but going for their legs. The first thing most people do when they find themselves short a ton or two is shed some armor from their legs, after all, who shoots at legs? Now YOU do!

Unless they changed it when i last logged in catapults are medium mechs and not light

ranalin wrote:
Stylez wrote:
TempestBlayze wrote:

Yup, still suck at this game.

The game is tactically very rewarding. Here's the quote I keep repeating that leads to wins: If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly.

Recon is extremely important, always make sure someone bigger than you is drawing the fire, preferably even if you are the biggest mech in town. My extremely effective Light-stomping build is a Catapult with 2 large lasers and 2 LB-10X ACs, absolutely tears through light armor.

Targeting is very important, when rolling with a squad we have had massive success not only focus firing on a particular opponent, but going for their legs. The first thing most people do when they find themselves short a ton or two is shed some armor from their legs, after all, who shoots at legs? Now YOU do!

Unless they changed it when i last logged in catapults are medium mechs and not light

Catapults are heavy as they weigh in over 70 tons.

silentsod wrote:
ranalin wrote:
Stylez wrote:
TempestBlayze wrote:

Yup, still suck at this game.

The game is tactically very rewarding. Here's the quote I keep repeating that leads to wins: If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly.

Recon is extremely important, always make sure someone bigger than you is drawing the fire, preferably even if you are the biggest mech in town. My extremely effective Light-stomping build is a Catapult with 2 large lasers and 2 LB-10X ACs, absolutely tears through light armor.

Targeting is very important, when rolling with a squad we have had massive success not only focus firing on a particular opponent, but going for their legs. The first thing most people do when they find themselves short a ton or two is shed some armor from their legs, after all, who shoots at legs? Now YOU do!

Unless they changed it when i last logged in catapults are medium mechs and not light

Catapults are heavy as they weigh in over 70 tons.

Catapults are 65 tons, its the Archer (which isn't in game, its one of the Unseen) that is the 70 ton LRM boat. Note that he didn't say the mech was a light, but that the loadout was a Light killer, that rips up light armor. Personally I prefer two AC-20s for a light killer, normally its one shot (with both cannon) and one kill. Sadly I'll never pilot that loadout again, at 60k to 100k (mostly 60k) credits earned a match, it would take... what, 100 matches? Not willing to grind the Trial mechs that long, thank you.

ranalin wrote:
Stylez wrote:
TempestBlayze wrote:

Yup, still suck at this game.

The game is tactically very rewarding. Here's the quote I keep repeating that leads to wins: If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly.

Recon is extremely important, always make sure someone bigger than you is drawing the fire, preferably even if you are the biggest mech in town. My extremely effective Light-stomping build is a Catapult with 2 large lasers and 2 LB-10X ACs, absolutely tears through light armor.

Targeting is very important, when rolling with a squad we have had massive success not only focus firing on a particular opponent, but going for their legs. The first thing most people do when they find themselves short a ton or two is shed some armor from their legs, after all, who shoots at legs? Now YOU do!

Unless they changed it when i last logged in catapults are medium mechs and not light

He means his build for destroying lights. It makes a great guardian mech to keep your missile boats and snipers from being harassed by fast movers. A Streak Kitty is also great in this roll.

I just don't get this game. Playing with pubbies or even a friend or two doesn't seem to give the teamwork needed to make a map successful.

Plus feedback is practically non-existent. I lost count of how many times my mech has gone up without me knowing who/why/etc. Pretty frustrating.

Hopefully they clean it up soon.

Datyedyeguy wrote:

I just don't get this game. Playing with pubbies or even a friend or two doesn't seem to give the teamwork needed to make a map successful.

Plus feedback is practically non-existent. I lost count of how many times my mech has gone up without me knowing who/why/etc. Pretty frustrating.

Hopefully they clean it up soon.

If you don't use voice chat with the people you're playing with, at a minimum ask in team chat what the plan is before you roll out. Stay with the pack, and try to focus fire on whoever you see your teammates shooting at.

Generally if you're new, don't ever be in the front of the pack. You'll be the ones that the LRMs get targeted at and will go down fast.

OK, somebody tell me how to move armor around on my mech. I can reduce armor off of some area like my legs, but how do I increase it somewhere else?

EDIT: I found the number on a few points that allows me to upgrade armor in those areas, but on my HBK-4SP, I only have head and back torso that allow me to move a couple of points to those areas. Other areas don't allow it. Is that all I can do, or is there something I'm missing?

MannishBoy wrote:

OK, somebody tell me how to move armor around on my mech. I can reduce armor off of some area like my legs, but how do I increase it somewhere else?

EDIT: I found the number on a few points that allows me to upgrade armor in those areas, but on my HBK-4SP, I only have head and back torso that allow me to move a couple of points to those areas. Other areas don't allow it. Is that all I can do, or is there something I'm missing?

Front and back armor add up together for the hardcap of that section (like mid torso, left leg), otherwise I assume you have spare weight on your chassis.

Been trying to figure out the Hunchback 4P variant. I think I like 6x Small Lasers in the hunch + 2 Medium Lasers in the arms + Medium Laser on the head, all with double heat sinks and a 250 Standard engine.

Had tried 7xSL+2xLL (arms), but that doesn't allow for the 250 engine.

Patch out.

Sad to see they finally got the button in to start the founder's premium time, so the free time is gone.

Added a bunch of cosmetic stuff (paint, camo, cockpit decorations), Frozen City Night map, Bitching Betty cockpit voice, and some bug fixes.

Trying to decide on the next mech to buy will be. I've been on the Hunchback track with the 4SP then the 4P. Could do a third HBK for the pilot rank/unlocks, but I'd like to try some other mechs, too. Got about 4.5M CP, so should be able to buy and equip out a HBK, but don't know which one of the remaining would be the most fun.

The cosmetic stuff seems crazy expensive to me. Like 250-750 MC to get a paint job or hula girl. Not sure I'll be taking advantage of those.

5250 MC

Wow, a single mech that costs somewhere around $24 (assuming you buy $30 worth of MC).

My strategy so far with my MC was to buy one medium mech, then earn CB with it to buy other ones, not using any more of my MC from the cheapest Founder's pack. While these hero mechs earn 30% more CB, that's still a lot of money in one mech for my blood.

I'm very disappointed with this game. All the promo materials they show, like the video above, seem to imply you're so powerful. Shooting parts of the enemy mech blow them up and such. While in the actual game, even the most powerful guns do jack all. You gotta hit someone 30 times before they actually get destroyed. Most of the time I felt impotent, instead of powerful.

MoonDragon wrote:

I'm very disappointed with this game. All the promo materials they show, like the video above, seem to imply you're so powerful. Shooting parts of the enemy mech blow them up and such. While in the actual game, even the most powerful guns do jack all. You gotta hit someone 30 times before they actually get destroyed. Most of the time I felt impotent, instead of powerful.

It's very much a team game, and a tactical game. Have to be very controlled with your movements, and whittle down an opponent either in a group or solo. You do better when you work on specific areas to take the armor off and blow them up.

You can die very quickly if you overextend and the enemy catches you doing it.

That's the way a mech sim like this should be, IMO. I'm fine with the shooting stuff, as it's pretty challenging coming from the state of not being deep into Mechwarrior before playing.

That said, Hawken is faster paced with a faster time to kill/die. So maybe that's more to your taste. I like both of them for the little bit of them I've seen.

MoonDragon wrote:

I'm very disappointed with this game. All the promo materials they show, like the video above, seem to imply you're so powerful. Shooting parts of the enemy mech blow them up and such. While in the actual game, even the most powerful guns do jack all. You gotta hit someone 30 times before they actually get destroyed. Most of the time I felt impotent, instead of powerful.

Uh, that's pretty much how Mechwarrior works.

Thanks for the tip Mannish!

This guy made me laugh. (language warning)

Hey was a little too upset IMO. Camping behind the lines and shooting doesn't work as well anymore. Adapt or die!!!

cube wrote:
MoonDragon wrote:

I'm very disappointed with this game. All the promo materials they show, like the video above, seem to imply you're so powerful. Shooting parts of the enemy mech blow them up and such. While in the actual game, even the most powerful guns do jack all. You gotta hit someone 30 times before they actually get destroyed. Most of the time I felt impotent, instead of powerful.

Uh, that's pretty much how Mechwarrior works.

Mechwarrior yeah. In Battletech though one AC20 to the back will through-armour critical your ammo bins and KABOOM, Atlas confetti.

They toned it down significantly of course.

Plus, they're adding Conquest and I think a new map.

EDIT: Found more stuff. Still waiting on patch notes. The 7.9Million Cbills is nice. Links won't work below because they're not full length where I copied them from.

Currently announced for inclusion on the Dec 18 Patch:
Double Dragon! Two Dragon Hero Mechs(video released, unconfirned date) http://mwomercs.com/...ons-hero-mechs/
River City Alternate - Night (video released, unconfirmed date) http://www.youtube.c...X-RuCQmQI#t=14s
Stalker (STK-3F, STK-5M, STK-3H, STK-4N, STK-5S) http://mwomercs.com/...assault/stalker
Conquest Mode (new match type!) http://mwomercs.com/...-mode-conquest/
Cadet bonus http://mwomercs.com/...mber-18th-2012/
New users can earn their first mech(of any weight class) in a very small number of matches
Existing users will recieve a lump-sum payment of 7.9 million C-bills
Economic changes http://mwomercs.com/...mber-18th-2012/
Phranken, Dazzle, Urban for all mechs http://mwomercs.com/...ember-4th-2012/
New holiday items http://mwomercs.com/...ember-4th-2012/
Piranha Hunt Winners banner/Community Contributor banner http://mwomercs.com/...ember-4th-2012/
Projectile & PPC speed increase http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__1546429
TAG range buff and NARC duration buff confirmed for the 18th http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__1546429
LRM mech penetration bug fix http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__1506153
Floating missile bay doors bug fix http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__1509018
Crazy Wavy Bullets bug fix http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__1554422
Reduction in CTDs and overall performance improvements http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__1587423
Stalker announced variants - 3F, 5M, 3H, 4N, 5S

STK-3F; 2x LRM10, 2x SRM6, 4x Medium Laser, 2x Large laser....(4 Missile 6 Energy) *base variant
STK-5M; 2x LRM10, 2x SRM6, 4x Medium Laser 1x NARC, 1x L.laser, DHS......(5 Missile 5 Energy)
STK-3H; 2x LRM20, 2x SRM6, 4x Medium laser...............................(4 Missile 4 Energy)
STK-4N; 1x LRM10, 2x SRM6, 4x Medium Laser, 2x Large Laser...............(3 Missile 6 Energy)
STK-5S; 2x LRM10, 2x SRM6, 4x M.Las, 2x L.P.las, CASE, XL engine, AMS.....(4 Missile 6 Energy AMS) *bonus AMS?
(minimum hardpoints listed based on stock weaponry)

This is an educational thread written to provide one-stop-shopping for upcoming updates. Let's stay on topic and leave complaints about individual items to their respective threads and/or the patch feedback section.

Wow, repair and rearm is being removed. Interesting.

Conquest mode is kind of half baked, but has potential. My main problems are the HUD and rewards.

They need to lift BF3's CQ HUD, where there's a floating indicator where the cap point is with a distance to flag and flag name easily readable. Right now, it's only a dot on the compass, and it doesn't even label the name of the flag.

For rewards, you seem to get almost nothing for capping an objective other than the team reward. The people actually sitting on flags should get something as well, as it's risky to stay in an easily identifiable part of the map as you cap.

This is stuff I hope they adjust, but this can be fun. It promotes more movement around the maps, which is a good thing.

MannishBoy wrote:

Conquest mode is kind of half baked, but has potential. My main problems are the HUD and rewards.

They need to lift BF3's CQ HUD, where there's a floating indicator where the cap point is with a distance to flag and flag name easily readable. Right now, it's only a dot on the compass, and it doesn't even label the name of the flag.

For rewards, you seem to get almost nothing for capping an objective other than the team reward. The people actually sitting on flags should get something as well, as it's risky to stay in an easily identifiable part of the map as you cap.

This is stuff I hope they adjust, but this can be fun. It promotes more movement around the maps, which is a good thing.

I think they need to either rework some of the existing maps or take them out of Conquest rotation. I didn't think Forest Colony for example really worked on Conquest at all since it is already to linear, the points do nothing to break that up.

I think Frozen City and Caustic make good use of the points, FC by making the points pretty spread out, with no good straight line to get in and out of Theta which ends up being the point that is most important. Caustic because it switches around the problem with Forest Colony it takes the points on the left and right side and places them far away from the base that would be in the obvious place to cap them. Makes it so you pretty much need to commit to one before going to the caldera.

I agree with everything you said Mannish about the HUD and rewards. I also think they need to lower the points to win down to about 500, at 750 my team was never at a point where we would lose on points before either killing the other team or being killed. The points just weren't that important because if you play it just like deathmatch from before and roll as a team from point to point the death toll gets high enough before the points do.

Also, while I appreciate how long it takes to make a map, I think at this point I need new one or two. It is just my personal preference but I am not a big fan of playing on the same maps over and over again in a game like this especially when, in my opinion, the maps are too small.