FF2012: Fantasy Football Pre-Season Catch-All

Grumpicus wrote:
Registration will open on Sunday.

Woooo!

Stele wrote:
Tagging so I don't miss registration.

No interest in money stuff here. Just good ol' FFL3 and another shot at promotion. ;)

Ditto

As you know, I plan to open registration on Sunday. As such, the GWJFFL is pretty much at the forefront of my mind. Here are some thoughts I've been having as we approach the 11th hour.

Grumpicus wrote:
In other news, is there any interest in a Dynasty format? If so, would you still be interested if it required a nominal fee (to ensure commitment)?

1. Reviewing the first 3 pages of posts, I count about a dozen folks explicitly interested in a dynasty league and with about two-thirds of them being ok with a pay league. The more I think about it though, the less likely I am to make a theoretical dynasty league require a fee. You see, while a fee may encourage intra-season commitment, I fear that it may actually discourage inter-season participation, and when it comes to a dynasty league, the latter is paramount. As such, if there's a dynasty league, it will be free.

I'm going to limit folks to three leagues, total, but will give priority access to GWJFFLD to those who are in fewer leagues (with one exception). Essentially, this means that if you're already in two leagues (e.g. GWJFFL1 and GWJFFLK), selection for GWJFFLD will first go to those who are not in GWJFFLK. As such, you may want to consider if you're willing to drop from K or 1 to get into D. The obvious exception is that you have to be a returning veteran in good standing to even be considered. Sorry, rookies.

If you have an opinion on snake or auction draft in year 1, now would be the time to give it. Much to my own surprise, I'm leaning towards a snake draft for this one based on how I think it will make subsequent years play out.

2. Even though the hypothetical dynasty league will be free, there does seem to be some interest in a premium league. I'm strongly considering layering a standard-format league in above GWJFFL1 that would include entry fees and prizes. Since we'd have two or three (the existence of GWJFFL3 depends on participation levels) other essentially identical leagues available to anyone who doesn't want to participate, I won't have any concerns about offending anyone's sensibilities or morality. Essentially the way this would work is that once registration opens, folks would indicate when they signed up whether or not they'd be willing to play in the premium league. Then, I'd start at the top of the list (i.e. last year's final standings) and bump everyone up who's interested. Of course, no one's position is actually secured until the fees are received, so if you get promoted but don't pay, you'll be dropped from the league entirely (with the option to work your way back up from the bottom, of course). Essentially, this means that your in GWJFFL1 and want to go up to the big leagues, you might as well send in your money ASAP. The amount, of course is still TBD but it will be between $20 and $35.

Thoughts?

Is there anyone in GWJFFL1 that DOESN'T want a pay/prize league? If not, I don't see why we would add yet another league.

Just my two cents but I think dynasty should be limited to people that have been in GWJ leagues at least the last two years, assuming there is enough interest. They've proven they stick around.

If I read that right, are you saying you would take people out of GWJ1/2/3 if they were interested in the pay league? I don't think that is very smart. Seems like they should be independent of each other. The 1/2/3 leagues have a 'tradition' of sorts where its a relegation type system of a lot of the same people. Taking 12 out for a different league would ruin that. Taking people out of the keeper league for the dynasty one seems like an even worse idea. I get the idea of not wanting people to be in a million leagues and divide their focus, but it seems you would be cannibalizing what we have in order to do it.

That said, I'd be interested in doing a normal 'premium' league but probably not a dynasty one.

LeapingGnome wrote:
Is there anyone in GWJFFL1 that DOESN'T want a pay/prize league? If not, I don't see why we would add yet another league. :)

ukickmydog wrote:
If I read that right, are you saying you would take people out of GWJ1/2/3 if they were interested in the pay league? I don't think that is very smart. Seems like they should be independent of each other. The 1/2/3 leagues have a 'tradition' of sorts where its a relegation type system of a lot of the same people. Taking 12 out for a different league would ruin that.

Not exactly. Technically, we'd only be adding another league (i.e. going from 3 to 4) if there was enough interest to actually fill 4 leagues. Assuming everyone in 1 wants to move up, then today's 1/2/3 becomes tomorrow's P/1/2 (with 3 potentially becoming defunct due to "lack of interest"). Nothing changes but the names and nothing is ruined.

Now if not everyone in 1 is interested in a pay league, then P becomes everyone that is interested from 1 plus the top interested players from 2. I'm not going to make 1 be the pay league by default because I've no interest in making people feel like they got pushed out of their tier just because they don't want to shell out some sheckles. It might just be semantics to you but, as they say, words have meanings.

LeapingGnome wrote:
Just my two cents but I think dynasty should be limited to people that have been in GWJ leagues at least the last two years, assuming there is enough interest. They've proven they stick around.

I'll take that under advisement. Much like when K started, if there's more interest than availability, I'll have to determine who makes the cut. Since my goal is long-term viability of the league, total tenure will certainly factor into it. 1 year was simply a minimum requirement.

ukickmydog wrote:
Taking people out of the keeper league for the dynasty one seems like an even worse idea. I get the idea of not wanting people to be in a million leagues and divide their focus, but it seems you would be cannibalizing what we have in order to do it.

I won't be taking anyone out of anywhere. All I said was that if there are two people who both meet the minimum tenure requirement but one is already in two leagues and the other is only in one, I might be inclined to select the latter. Of course, we've always had a first come, first serve policy as well so that will be taken into consideration as well. As stated above, tenure will also be a factor. Additionally, while I may have the ultimate decision, I'm likely to discuss it with trusted members of the community. Ultimately, as a new, separate league, it's something of a selection process at my discretion; so thanks for insulting my intelligence twice in one post.

If you're looking to only allow folks to only run 2 teams, I'm willing to drop my "traditional" league slot to be in both the dynasty and keeper leagues.

Landshrk83 wrote:
If you're looking to only allow folks to only run 2 teams, I'm willing to drop my "traditional" league slot to be in both the dynasty and keeper leagues.

Nope, the limit is 3.

I am interested in the Pay league, but don't want to add an additional team. If everyone in FFL1 wants to pay, I will join them. If anyone doesn't, I'll keep my spot in FFL1 and create an extra opening in FFLP.

I don't have any interest in the dynasty league, mostly because I don't have the bandwidth for yet another league I need to pay attention to.

I will, of course, continue the evolution of Jeff Goldblum's zygote in FFLK.

kaostheory wrote:
I am interested in the Pay league, but don't want to add an additional team. If everyone in FFL1 wants to pay, I will join them. If anyone doesn't, I'll keep my spot in FFL1 and create an extra opening in FFLP.

It's not an extra team. If you're interested in the premium league, your GWJFFL1 team will move up, regardless of what everyone else chooses to do.

kaostheory wrote:
I don't have any interest in the dynasty league, mostly because I don't have the bandwidth for yet another league I need to pay attention to.

I will, of course, continue the evolution of Jeff Goldblum's zygote in FFLK.

Be sure to head over to the registration thread and make it official.

TIL that WCOFF went bankrupt.

Edit: In case someone was wondering, the fact that they didn't know how to run a business does not reflect in any way upon the quality of the game they provided. As such, we will continue to use the scoring system that we have used for as long as I've been overseeing the GWJFFL.