GWJ bugs, feature requests, and updates

Is there any chance you could have brand new coffee grinders with restrictions on posting new threads? Most commonly this seems to be spambots, so perhaps putting CG new threads into a moderator approval queue, not totally blocking them as you do occasionally get an outsider come with something that's worth promoting.

I could really use a "mark this thread as unread" so when I see a new thread but don't have time to read it right now I can star it and come back to it later (you have to open the thread to favorite it).

This is probably mainly because I am now treating every website I visit like my dear, departed Google Reader, but still.

Gremlin wrote:
I could really use a "mark this thread as unread" so when I see a new thread but don't have time to read it right now I can star it and come back to it later (you have to open the thread to favorite it).

This is probably mainly because I am now treating every website I visit like my dear, departed Google Reader, but still.

Use set as last read on the post you want to continue from next time.

nossid wrote:
Gremlin wrote:
I could really use a "mark this thread as unread" so when I see a new thread but don't have time to read it right now I can star it and come back to it later (you have to open the thread to favorite it).

This is probably mainly because I am now treating every website I visit like my dear, departed Google Reader, but still.

Use set as last read on the post you want to continue from next time.

Ha! Forgot that was there. Thanks.

nossid wrote:
Gremlin wrote:
I could really use a "mark this thread as unread" so when I see a new thread but don't have time to read it right now I can star it and come back to it later (you have to open the thread to favorite it).

This is probably mainly because I am now treating every website I visit like my dear, departed Google Reader, but still.

Use set as last read on the post you want to continue from next time.

I have never noticed this before. This is the greatest thing.

Sorry if this is a known issue.

I noticed when switching from Google Reader to a new RSS aggregator that the forum specific RSS feeds fail to validate. Reader didn't care, but my new aggregator seems to. Observe:

Games and Platforms validation error

The issue is that there is no xmlns entry for the "itunes" or "libsyn" namespaces.

I wrote a little php script which takes the feed and makes it valid. For reference this is available here. Note the extra xmlns attributes in the rss tag near the beginning of the document.

Should the site also put in referral codes to other popular vendors outside of Amazon? For instance, Newegg? Might as well take the free money.

MannishBoy wrote:
Should the site also put in referral codes to other popular vendors outside of Amazon? For instance, Newegg? Might as well take the free money.

Great idea. I could use help collecting the URL formats. If you know of any, could you post them back here or PM me?

gore wrote:
I noticed when switching from Google Reader to a new RSS aggregator that the forum specific RSS feeds fail to validate. Reader didn't care, but my new aggregator seems to.

This will be fixed with the Drupal 7 upgrade.

doogiemac wrote:
MannishBoy wrote:
Should the site also put in referral codes to other popular vendors outside of Amazon? For instance, Newegg? Might as well take the free money.

Great idea. I could use help collecting the URL formats. If you know of any, could you post them back here or PM me?

Looks like to sign up on Newegg, you go through this process. Another is Ratuken, which now owns Buy.com. Their link is here.

Something seems to be wrong with links to Amazon. Take this post, for example.

The actual URL given in the post is : http://www.amazon.com/Debra-Doyle/e/...
(this one works)

The linked URL generated by GWJ is: www.gamerswithjobs.com/go/amazon?asi...

But when Amazon tries to look the latter up, it 404s at this link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...

It's not clear if this is a transient Amazon problem or something else.

Um... the first link, with the extraneous "ref=" cut off... http://www.amazon.com/Debra-Doyle/e/... just takes you to a search page of books by Debra-Doyle, not an actual shop item.

If you actually click on the book listed, and use that link... http://www.amazon.com/Price-Stars-Bo... then I believe the GWJ tag will append properly.

The GWJ tag only works with actual items for sale on Amazon. Linking to sale pages, search pages, etc, does not work. For instance, I never link to the gold box sales page they have every day, but instead link to the actual item on sale.

edit: nevermind, Ghostery breaks the search function, didn't realize.

The site is getting very, very slow again.

The "my favorite topics" and the front page are showing up as the normal style instead of mobile style on my android stratosphere in the Dolphin browser. Other pages appear in the normal mobile style. Worked yesterday.

The censor tool converts capital F_ck to lowercase f_ck. It impugns my grammar honor to see a sentence I wrote start with f_ck!

Type F_ck.

What I do is pre-censor it. F*CK!

I just find creative ways to be offensive to people without using a certain small list of words. Not that I'd ever want to do that to the members of this forum.

Is there a licensing agreement needed to hook up a board to tapatalk?
If so, could it be considered as a stretch goal for next year's Donation Drive?

I would love to follow the forums through this app, it's fast, easy to use, easy to post, etc.

Scratched wrote:
I just find creative ways to be offensive to people without using a certain small list of words. Not that I'd ever want to do that to the members of this forum.

I can think of some gaming companies that rate some f***s.

Malor wrote:
Scratched wrote:
I just find creative ways to be offensive to people without using a certain small list of words. Not that I'd ever want to do that to the members of this forum.

I can think of some gaming companies that rate some f***s.

And some DCSS uniques. F*CK you, D:2 Sigmund!

We need to implement fartscroll.js.

http://theonion.github.io/fartscroll...

Hobbes2099 wrote:
Is there a licensing agreement needed to hook up a board to tapatalk?
If so, could it be considered as a stretch goal for next year's Donation Drive?

I would love to follow the forums through this app, it's fast, easy to use, easy to post, etc.

I think the problem there is this site is built using Drupal, which isn't officially supported by tapatalk like vBulletin, phpBB, etc.

MannishBoy wrote:
Hobbes2099 wrote:
Is there a licensing agreement needed to hook up a board to tapatalk?
If so, could it be considered as a stretch goal for next year's Donation Drive?

I would love to follow the forums through this app, it's fast, easy to use, easy to post, etc.

I think the problem there is this site is built using Drupal, which isn't officially supported by tapatalk like vBulletin, phpBB, etc.

Once we're on Drupal 7, Tapatalk integration becomes a feasible option. I don't want to say "Yes, you'll have it!" though, because the existing module is incomplete: http://drupal.org/project/tapatalk Good news is, I work with the guy who started it and we could probably chip away at D7 compatibility. That said, it's a post-upgrade thing we'll look into.

On a related note, our goal is that the site is so awesome on a mobile device that you'll love using just your mobile browser. I'm not discounting the desire for Tapatalk because it's a highly useful tool, but my hope is that you'll find the mobile site highly usable.

doogiemac wrote:
On a related note, our goal is that the site is so awesome on a mobile device that you'll love using just your mobile browser. I'm not discounting the desire for Tapatalk because it's a highly useful tool, but my hope is that you'll find the mobile site highly usable.

I feel the mobile version works great for read threads.
Posting and viewing YouTube videos on any Android browser is a pain; posting pics is no easy fit (using android imgur to post quickly, then copy+pasting link is complicated).

The reason I mentioned Tapatalk or any other forum app is the multi-line posting problems I seem to be having.

Should I want to to edit this post (initially or after posting it), the End of Line is not read correctly and I end up typing in the middle of another section of the text.

the same applies with long-pressing for pasting text.
it's just too darn frustrating for my taste.

Embedded YouTube videos are no longer working for me on IPhone safari. The video image appears but clicking on it yields no results.

MannishBoy wrote:
doogiemac wrote:
MannishBoy wrote:
Should the site also put in referral codes to other popular vendors outside of Amazon? For instance, Newegg? Might as well take the free money.

Great idea. I could use help collecting the URL formats. If you know of any, could you post them back here or PM me?

Looks like to sign up on Newegg, you go through this process. Another is Ratuken, which now owns Buy.com. Their link is here.

Looks like constantly mentioned deal site Green Man Gaming now has an affiliate program, too.

Quintin_Stone wrote:
Embedded YouTube videos are no longer working for me on IPhone safari. The video image appears but clicking on it yields no results.

Same for me.

For anyone interested, I made a dark color scheme for the site out of boredom last night. Still has a couple things that could be better, but it's mostly complete at this point. Eye strain begone!

psoplayer wrote:
For anyone interested, I made a dark color scheme for the site out of boredom last night. Still has a couple things that could be better, but it's mostly complete at this point. Eye strain begone!

If anyone likes the change but don't want things quite so dark, I've been using the Sear Eyes Less style that ColdForged put together.