GWJ bugs, feature requests, and updates

Clock keeps posting. Surely this is a bug?

A clocked clock clocks clock a clock?

In case you don't frequent the homepage, I wanted to point out a front-page post about recent and upcoming features that I wrote up last night. Check it out!

Awesome! Btw, do you have any idea how many people use the mobify site besides me? I have some issues with it, but if I'm the only one I'll deal.

Mixolyde wrote:

Awesome! Btw, do you have any idea how many people use the mobify site besides me? I have some issues with it, but if I'm the only one I'll deal.

The responsive design will be here sooner than you think. I'd just hold off for it, and then we can discuss any issues or feature requests.

I need a little troubleshooting help -- I'm using Chrome/Mac. I have AdBlock installed, but disabled for GWJ. Javascript is also on.

I see the list of tags, but don't have the option to add/edit new tags.

If I log in with Safari, I do see the option, so clearly it's some Chrome setting. Any idea what I might need to change?

...

And naturally, after posting this, the option showed up. Isn't QA fun?

Hey what's up with the "Text enhance" i see popping up in posts?... was going to quote Penguin's IGWJD thread but it seems like it's already gone?

IMAGE(http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8afwx5A4z1r8kki6o1_500.gif)

You saw nothing.

Re-post from the front page:

We've rolled out the responsive design, and also added a link to the popular forum tags to the left sidebar. To try out the responsive design, simply resize your browser or visit the site on a phone or tablet device. Please note that there will likely be some areas that need improvement with behavior on various devices, so if you run into any issues, please let us know!

doogiemac wrote:

Re-post from the front page:

We've rolled out the responsive design, and also added a link to the popular forum tags to the left sidebar. To try out the responsive design, simply resize your browser or visit the site on a phone or tablet device. Please note that there will likely be some areas that need improvement with behavior on various devices, so if you run into any issues, please let us know!

Great job, makes for much easier reading on an iPhone Dolphin browser! Is it possible for the default result for a popular tag be sorted by most recent reply instead of alphabetically?

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/XywjM.png)

Really loving the new look via IE on my WP7 phone. Well done!

Thanks for the update that makes phone use easier.

Only suggestion I'd have is that there's a lot of dead space up where the Stan logo is. It's about 1/2 of my phone's screen used in landscape before I get to posts.

Text is tiny in Chrome on my GNex. I can get around it by going into Chrome's accessibility settings and overriding.a website's zooming preference, but it would be nice if that was fixed.
Might be a bug on Chrome's end as I know it has text scaling issues right now.

But otherwise it's very nice! Thanks!

I can no longer zoom on the iPad. I like to make the forum topics bigger to be able to give my eyes a break.

MannishBoy wrote:

Thanks for the update that makes phone use easier.

Only suggestion I'd have is that there's a lot of dead space up where the Stan logo is. It's about 1/2 of my phone's screen used in landscape before I get to posts.

This. The site now reads well on an iPhone in portrait, but that dead space is huge.

Looks great in general, though!

http://db.tt/IBHwIxpP is what I get fwiw.

The new version of the mobile site came up fine on my phone but for some reason the desktop version comes up on my tablet. I checked and the user agent is set to android. Using dolphin browser mini on both devices.

It looked really good on my phone though

I'm sure you know by now, but the desktop URL returns a 403. Logging in via mobify.com, though, is fine.

EDIT: Also the new mobile site works fine on my iPhone.

EDIT 2: Okay, more detail. The root URL returns 403, but going directly to the tracker works fine.

Arg. I also can't zoom. Its actually a lot harder to read the forums now. I tried 4 different useragents in Dolphin and there was no difference in the rendering. (Desktop, Android, iPad, iPhone, and a custom UA of "duckilama")

This font is too small and I don't want to screw up the rendering on all my other sites with a new default.

duckilama wrote:

Arg. I also can't zoom. Its actually a lot harder to read the forums now. I tried 4 different useragents in Dolphin and there was no difference in the rendering. (Desktop, Android, iPad, iPhone, and a custom UA of "duckilama")

This font is too small and I don't want to screw up the rendering on all my other sites with a new default.

What device and OS version do you have? I'm going to work on Android rendering issues over the next couple of days.

Oh. I found an option in Chrome for "force enable zoom" which fixes it for me. Of course if you're not on ICS you can't use Chrome.

I'm on dolphin for android and it doesn't zoom for me, either. I've noticed a lot of web 2.0 sites are like that. Otherwise it appears to play nicely and the quote button works well.

jonfentyler wrote:

Great job, makes for much easier reading on an iPhone Dolphin browser! Is it possible for the default result for a popular tag be sorted by most recent reply instead of alphabetically?

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/XywjM.png)

See the little indicator arrow at the top of the title column? Click on "Last Reply" to sort by that column instead.

Not sure what is happening, but the OUYA thread is shrinking.
I started to follow it. Work hasn't allowed for everyday reading, so I set a post as unread. Somewhere within the first 80 posts.
What started as 117 of 200 unread, grew to about 120 unread as new posts were added.
For the last few days the unread count has diminished, down to 100, then 80.
I haven't read the thread, but it seems unstable.

I'll keep it unread to see how the count continues.

----------------
Edit: down to 67 now.

I'm on a Kindle Fire using Dolphin. I think fire is a custom 2.x but I commented in the other thread about dolphin on my Incredible running 2.2.x is zoomable but gwj isn't respecting my default zoom level so I have to rezoom every link I click.

Disclaimer: I appreciate the work and what you're trying to do. I understand. I'm just feeling disrupted. So I might sound like a whiny bitch but part of that is limiting language due to typing on a tablet and phone. So "waaaaah!" I say.

To clarify. Kindle fire with dolphin and trying many User agent headers give the desktop site and is not zoomable.
Droid incredible with dolphin gives zoomable mobile site but doesn't respect zoom settings and needs rezooming on every click to a new page.

Hobbes2099 wrote:

Not sure what is happening, but the OUYA thread is shrinking.
I started to follow it. Work hasn't allowed for everyday reading, so I set a post as unread. Somewhere within the first 80 posts.
What started as 117 of 200 unread, grew to about 120 unread as new posts were added.
For the last few days the unread count has diminished, down to 100, then 80.
I haven't read the thread, but it seems unstable.

I'll keep it unread to see how the count continues.

----------------
Edit: down to 67 now.

Thread counts have always been like that. I haven't been in the Team Fortress 2 thread in a few months, as I haven't been playing. It gets hundreds of posts a week. Sometimes I have 2-300 hundred unread. Other times only 50-100.

I think it has something to do with logging in or out, or something. Every so often I will go to my recent posts page, which is bookmarked and how I usually check the site, and it will ask me to login, and while showing my most recent posts it doesn't show a count there until I after I login.

Not sure if that has anything to do with the counter or not. But they have definitely been unreliable for a long time.

Hobbes2099 wrote:

Not sure what is happening, but the OUYA thread is shrinking.
I started to follow it. Work hasn't allowed for everyday reading, so I set a post as unread. Somewhere within the first 80 posts.
What started as 117 of 200 unread, grew to about 120 unread as new posts were added.
For the last few days the unread count has diminished, down to 100, then 80.
I haven't read the thread, but it seems unstable.

I'll keep it unread to see how the count continues.

----------------
Edit: down to 67 now.

IMAGE(http://www.thelivingmoon.com/45jack_files/04images/Lucifer/04_Jupiter-2010.jpg)

It's shrinking!

Nice job on the recent updates!

I have a quick feature request (i.e., quick to make, not necessarily quick to implement):

I'd like to have the same thread view on the tracking page (e.g., http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/user/9...) as on the Favourites page (http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/favorites). I prefer the layout (forum name under the thread title) and additional info (number of pages and who made the thread/most recent post) of the Favourites page.

duckilama wrote:

I'm on a Kindle Fire using Dolphin. I think fire is a custom 2.x but I commented in the other thread about dolphin on my Incredible running 2.2.x is zoomable but gwj isn't respecting my default zoom level so I have to rezoom every link I click.

Disclaimer: I appreciate the work and what you're trying to do. I understand. I'm just feeling disrupted. So I might sound like a whiny bitch but part of that is limiting language due to typing on a tablet and phone. So "waaaaah!" I say.

To clarify. Kindle fire with dolphin and trying many User agent headers give the desktop site and is not zoomable.
Droid incredible with dolphin gives zoomable mobile site but doesn't respect zoom settings and needs rezooming on every click to a new page.

While I sort out scaling issues on various devices, you can try using the Mobify version of the site: http://gamerswithjobs.mobify.com The intention is that eventually we won't need that version at all, but for now that might be the best approach.

For some reason, on my desktop, I'm getting both versions of the site.

Under normal circumstances this is more amusing than annoying - "hey, look, now it's showing me the old format again". The problem is when I go to look at new posts in threads I'm following. I'll click the "7 new" under replies. Page opens, shows me the thread starting at the newest reply, as expected. But occasionally the page will only open for a split second, then suddenly refresh itself in the new format because for whatever reason it decided it was displaying it in the wrong one. Because it's refreshing the "new posts" and, hey, I just looked at this thread 0.05 seconds ago, when the page reloads it opens all the way at the bottom of the thread, at the "Post new comment" section, and I have to scroll back up the thread to try to figure out where I left off.

Is this just something wonky and screwed up on my end somehow? Why can't it seem to make up its mind as to which way it wants to display it? Or does nobody besides me even look at the site using a non-mobile device anymore?