GWJ bugs, feature requests, and updates

Depends on your browser.

Actually, it's a caching thing. If you load a page with a bunch of large images, and then refresh, the images will resize.

They resize brokenly. Basically, there's a piece of javascript that resizes them, but it's currently set up to run at the wrong time. (Specifically, the images should resize after each image loads. Instead, all the images on the page resize once the page "loads". On a page with only a couple of images on a fast connection, that's probably after the images have loaded. On a large page with many images or on a slower connection, at least some of the images won't have loaded yet (and won't be resized after they're loaded, because the resize code has already run.)

What I plan to do is set up CSS to force them to a reasonable size during loading, combined with javascript that runs at the right time (after loading) to resize them more fully (and for browsers with worse CSS support.)

Mainly I've been avoiding doing it because I don't want to actually run drupal to test the stuff, but I feel guilty saying "here's some crap I put together that should work right, but I haven't tested it yet" and throwing it at the other GWJ dev folks.

They always seem to look right in Chrome, even without refresh.

On Firefox I think I used to have to refresh threads. On my Android browser it definitely messes up sometimes.

Still not sure why Chrome isn't on Android.

Different browsers have different loading/drawing behaviour to influence how fast they appear to draw the page. As for chrome on android, it probably is on android just not explicitly called chrome.

Hypatian wrote:

Mainly I've been avoiding doing it because I don't want to actually run drupal to test the stuff, but I feel guilty saying "here's some crap I put together that should work right, but I haven't tested it yet" and throwing it at the other GWJ dev folks. :)

Using the Acquia desktop, running Drupal to do this is so easy. No web server stuff to deal with. Check the dev forum for how we ended up using it, should be towards the tail end of the sticky at the top.

Can I request a youtube button for above the text box?

trueheart78: You vastly underestimate my laziness.

Edwin wrote:

Can I request a youtube button for above the text box?

Good call. +1.

Though I assigned the youtube tags to some G-keys on my G-15 keyboard

Just finished the code for a Youtube button, working on sending the pull request to doogiemac, as soon as I figure that part out.

EDIT: Aaaaand pull request submitted.

Bonus_Eruptus wrote:

Just finished the code for a Youtube button, working on sending the pull request to doogiemac, as soon as I figure that part out.

EDIT: Aaaaand pull request submitted.

High-fives butt pats all around!

Wait. It's that easy?

I want a Money button.

Money.

[size=1]Seriously, I love the changes, you guys.[/size]

I noticed the ad at the top has gone. Was just wondering why? Not that I mind, the animated ad's were pretty loud and distracting.

SodaGremlin wrote:

I noticed the ad at the top has gone. Was just wondering why? Not that I mind, the animated ad's were pretty loud and distracting.

I didn't mind it that much here, but it broke the top of the mobile version enough that I'm very glad it's gone on mobile. Thanks guys.

SodaGremlin wrote:

I noticed the ad at the top has gone. Was just wondering why? Not that I mind, the animated ad's were pretty loud and distracting.

Certis stated that it was just a temporary thing, a dry run with the ad provider, if you will.

Hyetal wrote:

Wait. It's that easy?

I want a Money button.

Money.

[size=1]Seriously, I love the changes, you guys.[/size]

Dude, you ARE money, and you don't even know it.

Not sure if this has already been reported:

The Track page will display "updated" if a post in the thread has been edited since you last saw it, even if there are no new posts. It would be nice if Favourites did the same.

Ta!

trueheart78 wrote:
SodaGremlin wrote:

I noticed the ad at the top has gone. Was just wondering why? Not that I mind, the animated ad's were pretty loud and distracting.

Certis stated that it was just a temporary thing, a dry run with the ad provider, if you will.

Yeah, I was just curious if the advertiser didn't work out well (bad ROI) or if it was more of a decision for the community here. Either way doesn't really matter, just curious. I would still be a loyal goodjer regardless of the ad.

Probably already requested, but a search box on the mobile site.

Also, this might be possible in the browser itself, but perhaps set the mobile site, by default, to not load images, and have a link to load them? I can't tell you how often I open a thread and start reading only for a huge image that didn't load right away to make everything microscopic and scroll the page up. That gets really annoying.

Is there a killfile functionality, like an inverse of the "favourites" functionality, that I can use to consign Jeff Goldblum contaminated threads to the appropriate circle of Hell?

If there were, the awesomeness of Goldblum would burn it out so you could see him anyway.

Plus, Chuck Norris would round-house kick you into tomorrow afternoon.

Hypatian wrote:

They resize brokenly. Basically, there's a piece of javascript that resizes them, but it's currently set up to run at the wrong time. (Specifically, the images should resize after each image loads. Instead, all the images on the page resize once the page "loads". On a page with only a couple of images on a fast connection, that's probably after the images have loaded. On a large page with many images or on a slower connection, at least some of the images won't have loaded yet (and won't be resized after they're loaded, because the resize code has already run.)

What I plan to do is set up CSS to force them to a reasonable size during loading, combined with javascript that runs at the right time (after loading) to resize them more fully (and for browsers with worse CSS support.)

Mainly I've been avoiding doing it because I don't want to actually run drupal to test the stuff, but I feel guilty saying "here's some crap I put together that should work right, but I haven't tested it yet" and throwing it at the other GWJ dev folks. :)

.comment .content .bb-image {max-width: 100%;}

Don't need the javascript at all, unless IE6 users are a significant percentage of GWJ users (browser support chart).

This assumes that the "bb-image" class is added to all images that can occur within a comment, though I believe that is likely to be the case. If there are other images which could need the rule, modify the selector appropriately.

I don't remember what the sign up process for GWJ was, but is there an e-mail confirmation thing required or something? The spammers are getting something fierce around here.

Is there any chance of getting one of those sidebars on GWJ that shows the current status of the Ventrilo server? A couple of the groups I belong to that have dedicated Vent servers use these on the home page and it's really nice to be able to see who's online without having to actually fire up Vent and connect to do so.

It seems to me that it could enable more group gaming when you just happen to notice folks are online and in a channel for a game you'd like to play.

One thing that really bugs me... On Android Ice Cream Sandwich, and perhaps other versions I'm unaware of (this was not an issue on my HTC Incredible, but it had the Sense overlay, so that may have been doing more than base Android does), the comment text boxes, i.e., the boxes used to submit forum topics, replies, and private messages, appear to be treated by Android ICS as a text entry field akin to a username field, thereby shutting off autocorrect for those fields. This gets REALLY annoying when trying to type a reply to a thread on my phone. If there's some kind of property or flag you can set for those fields that will allow Android to recognize them as fields where autocorrect should work, that would be great...

Dimmerswitch wrote:

.comment .content .bb-image {max-width: 100%;}

Don't need the javascript at all, unless IE6 users are a significant percentage of GWJ users (browser support chart).

This assumes that the "bb-image" class is added to all images that can occur within a comment, though I believe that is likely to be the case. If there are other images which could need the rule, modify the selector appropriately.

Yeah, that was my solution as well—and then I figured "better keep the JS around Just In Case". There's also a possible slight complication when combining this with images that have a static size included. (i.e. [ img=WxH ] tags). Still, it should be workable. But I don't want to submit the change without testing, and I am lazy.

I'll see about doing it up this weekend, maybe.

Hypatian wrote:
Dimmerswitch wrote:

.comment .content .bb-image {max-width: 100%;}

Don't need the javascript at all, unless IE6 users are a significant percentage of GWJ users (browser support chart).

This assumes that the "bb-image" class is added to all images that can occur within a comment, though I believe that is likely to be the case. If there are other images which could need the rule, modify the selector appropriately.

Yeah, that was my solution as well—and then I figured "better keep the JS around Just In Case". There's also a possible slight complication when combining this with images that have a static size included. (i.e. [ img=WxH ] tags). Still, it should be workable. But I don't want to submit the change without testing, and I am lazy.

I'll see about doing it up this weekend, maybe.

The [ img=WxH ] tags is a good point. If you have a testing instance of GWJ set up, I think the fix you'll want to test is:
[quote=Dimmerswitch].comment .content .bb-image {max-width: 100%; height: auto;}

Allow us to add Front Page Articles to our favorites.

Quintin_Stone wrote:

Allow us to add Front Page Articles to our favorites.

Seconded.